Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Vbulletin - 08/04/06 09:00 PM
Will Vbulletin make CEG easier to search or faster to load? That would be nice ..
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Vbulletin - 08/04/06 11:05 PM
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
Will Vbulletin make CEG easier to search or faster to load? That would be nice ..

I dont quite know how it could load any faster... Ceg already is running on the most basic of message board formats... if anything load times will be longer becase vbullitin is more graphic.
Posted By: Lexxer Re: Vbulletin - 08/04/06 11:12 PM
Load faster, I doubt. There are thousands of more lines of code in VB then in this more basic forum platform. As for searching it will be way easier IMO. I don't get why he didnt upgrade the forums a long time ago...

Would be nice to see all the topics and stuff converted over to VB
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Vbulletin - 08/05/06 12:11 AM
Upgrading ain't cheap, you know.

Donate.. "put yer money where y er mouth is", I think is how the saying goes.

Simply put, the more money donated, the more raffles, prizes, specials, and upgrades you will get in return.
Posted By: Lexxer Re: Vbulletin - 08/05/06 12:16 AM
VB isn't that expensive... There are other cheaper alternatives too such as phpBB and IPB, or even IceBB which is made from the same developers as IPB only they left when IPB started charging.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Vbulletin - 08/05/06 12:21 AM
hosting ain't free.. neither is admin time, coding, custom tweaks that all these users want specialized, maintenance, repairs upon a crash, hard drive space, backups, etc, etc.

Besides, us moderators have to get SOME kind of a check, don't we?
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Vbulletin - 08/05/06 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Ray:

you're a dirty damn liar!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Vbulletin - 08/05/06 01:30 AM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

I will send you a check for $.01.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Vbulletin - 08/05/06 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Loco4G63:
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

I will send you a check for $.01.

Can I have a check too?
Posted By: Lexxer Re: Vbulletin - 08/06/06 12:07 AM
I wouldnt think CEG runs up that much bandwidth with not much in the design/code, maybe for space since the forums are so large + archives. Hosting isn't that expensive either , but yeah the other stuff does require more effort like modding and admins etc.

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm fighting lol
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Vbulletin - 08/06/06 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Lexxer:
I wouldnt think CEG runs up that much bandwidth with not much in the design/code, maybe for space since the forums are so large + archives. Hosting isn't that expensive either

No, it probly doesn't... but are you going to pay for hosting + upgrades?

From the "CEG Finances" thread sticked above... have you read it?

Originally posted by Andy W.:
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
I think its about time to switch servers then. $99 monthly charge? thats rediculous.

Yeah you know what you are talking about. Not!

The server has had rough 99.9% up time since the relocation to a COLO. We have virtually unlimited bandwidth, 100% control of the OS, and we don't have to maintain the hardware.

I hosted it for 2 years on an ailing server, prior to that it was at MMars house which had frequent power outages.

Oh and BTW the $100 a month is half what we paid before simple for the highspeed line. So we have made effort to cut costs.

If you have any more questions let me know.

-Andy

What he's saying is, we used to pay $200/month for just the highspeed line to a server in someone's house...

Oh, BTW, donate if you haven't done so already!
© CEG Archives