Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 01:43 AM
My post in Announcements

-Lance
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 10:38 AM
I'll keep Big Daddy Kane I guess... no reason for me to change it.

I can't wait to see the new design!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 12:14 PM
No way to import all the current info into the new forums?
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 12:48 PM
we gonna lose our post counts? i hope not . i know it isn't a lot, but i've worked hard to get these posts

~Andrew
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 02:49 PM
Originally posted by todras:
No way to import all the current info into the new forums?

Well, on the name thing, the new forum only supports a single name, no seperate login name and display name, so we have to choose one to import for everyone. So, be sure to have your display name set to what you want. Also, fwiw, inappropriate names will be met with bannination.

In regards to importing the current forums/threads; we had some discussion about it, and the conclusion was to simply archive what we have already. Importing would render any existing inter-thread links useless, and would require a rather significant investment of time on Lance's part to get it done. The decision was to keep the old stuff easily searchable and navigable by archiving it.
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
Importing would render any existing inter-thread links useless, and would require a rather significant investment of time on Lance's part to get it done.

It's not like he spends his time posting.

I'm just kidding! Don't want to get anyones panties in a wad.

I'll stay evil.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
we gonna lose our post counts? i hope not . i know it isn't a lot, but i've worked hard to get these posts

~Andrew

I'm not sure . . . keeping them wouldn't be a bad thing for people like todras who validate thier entire self-worth based on thier post count
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 03:22 PM

I'm not sure . . . keeping them wouldn't be a bad thing for people like todras who validate thier entire self-worth based on thier post count

If that were true it would make you teh suck.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 03:40 PM
Originally posted by todras:

If that were true it would make you teh suck.

Its a good thing my self worth doesn't hinge on my post count then, isn't it

In all honesty, I can't count how many times I've typed out a long in depth reply, and just not posted it because it didn't add much to what people had already said.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 04:35 PM
i think vbulletin has a thing that admins can edit the post count for each person
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: PLEASE READ - 08/03/06 04:44 PM
In all honesty, I can't count how many times I've typed out a long in depth reply, and just not posted it because it didn't add much to what people had already said.

Fo' real. In some of the discussions, just typing the response makes you feel better - even if you don't post.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/04/06 02:02 AM
Are we going to be allowed Avatars? (I hope not)
Posted By: rouar Re: PLEASE READ - 08/04/06 02:31 AM
I hope some of the requests from the CEG Finances thread have been considered in customizing the VBulletin package.

I'm keeping this handle. I changed it on my fifth CEG anniversary. It took a lot of consideration and thought before I finally jumped ship and got rid of "98 SE" - namely because I no longer own a 98 SE. Not planning on changing this one anytime soon, it's fairly unique among forum boards which is nice (though the six-character requirement on some throws me off!).

If post counts are reset then I'll end up like what happened to PolloLoco69 last time. Having had several life-changing events in the past few months and days, my post rate has slowed significantly.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: PLEASE READ - 08/04/06 02:48 AM
are we going to loose are post count? i worked hard to be a veteran CEGer. i think i will just stick with this name as well. will i have the same password or not?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: PLEASE READ - 08/04/06 03:25 AM
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:
are we going to loose are post count? i worked hard to be a veteran CEGer. i think i will just stick with this name as well. will i have the same password or not?

You ain't worked hard. Veteran only takes like a week to get to. But does post count really matter?

I really have no problem with the forum the way it is, sorta like a breath of fresh air from all the other forums but I'll deal with it. I reckon it's for the better.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: PLEASE READ - 08/04/06 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I really have no problem with the forum the way it is, sorta like a breath of fresh air from all the other forums but I'll deal with it.

Amen! Why can't it just stay like it is?
Posted By: rouar Re: PLEASE READ - 08/05/06 06:12 AM
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:
I really have no problem with the forum the way it is, sorta like a breath of fresh air from all the other forums but I'll deal with it.

You forget the two- and three-day-long CEG blackouts that happen every few months due to database corruption?

Okay maybe that's not UBBThreads' fault (I have no clue), but overhauling the forums has been on the list for quite a while now. In particular, certain features not available on these boards may be implemented on the new ones. Keep in mind this board is four years old - ancient technology. I do hope we get new features that we never knew we would have missed.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/05/06 02:31 PM

+1

Originally posted by Rouar:
...You forget the two- and three-day-long CEG blackouts that happen every few months due to database corruption?...

I would take a "two- and three-day-long blackout" anyday than not being able to sift through the threads easily.

.... Keep in mind this board is four years old - ancient technology. I do hope we get new features that we never knew we would have missed.

Our cars are 6 to 11 years old.
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: PLEASE READ - 08/05/06 04:06 PM
I just want the dancing banana
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: PLEASE READ - 08/05/06 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Bronco_3LSVTotalled:

I have a dancing banana....but you can't have it!
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: PLEASE READ - 08/05/06 11:31 PM

I think I know of at least 2 people on here that will be excited by that!
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/06/06 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

who

~Andrew
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: PLEASE READ - 08/06/06 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:

who

~Andrew

I think we found one!

Also, what about creating a "classifieds" section of the forums? I know it's been discussed before as too much hassle for the existing moderators, but I think it's beneficial...

Hell, I volunteer to moderate it!

And what about a locked section that's dedicated to Howto's... I volunteer to moderate that too!
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/06/06 02:13 AM

Also, what about creating a "classifieds" section of the forums? I know it's been discussed before as too much hassle for the existing moderators, but I think it's beneficial...

Hell, I volunteer to moderate it!

And what about a locked section that's dedicated to Howto's... I volunteer to moderate that too!

Me too, I'd love to help moderate that!
Posted By: rouar Re: PLEASE READ - 08/06/06 02:51 PM
Question: Will our registration dates be carried over into VBulletin? I don't really care so much about post counts as I do registration dates.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 08:35 AM
Is it safe to assume that we will also lose all the PMs. i have a lot of info saved in private messages, and i have a couple hundred of them.
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 04:22 PM
Some answers:

1. Post counts, reg dates, etc will all be preserved.
2. No avatars! No thread rating, no user rating.
3. PM's will be imported
4. There will be a classfieds section in the forums
5. The new forums should actually be easier to use than these

-Lance
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 04:31 PM
YOU'RE THE MAN!
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 04:37 PM
Thanks Lance!
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 05:10 PM
YES!

Originally posted by Lance Kinley:

Can Matt and I moderate that?

Or do you have others in mind?
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 06:01 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Thanks Lance!

Cool, Thanks!
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 06:48 PM
just gotta decide if i wanna stick with this name...
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: PLEASE READ - 08/07/06 08:47 PM
1. Yay!
2. Eh...OK
3. Yay!
4. Yay!
5. Yay!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/08/06 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
Some answers:

1. Post counts, reg dates, etc will all be preserved.
2. No avatars! No thread rating, no user rating.
3. PM's will be imported
5. The new forums should actually be easier to use than these

-Lance

Thank you.
Posted By: Scottster Re: PLEASE READ - 08/08/06 02:21 AM
So when the forums come into effect, is it then that we choose our new user name, or before...like should I change it now (I have a new one in mind), or just wait till the new forums come online?

Maybe this is clear to others, I'm just not understanding 100%

Posted By: Tony2005 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/08/06 02:24 AM
"vBulletin does not support changing your Display Name, so I'm setting a deadline of 8/17 for everyone to change their display name to what they want to have PERMANENTLY." Lance Kinley.

On 8/17/06, if your screenname is Scottster, then Scottster will be your permanent sn in the new system.
Posted By: gearhead_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/08/06 02:32 AM
Once a gearhead, always a gearhead.......looking forward to the new format. I think it's great that the user community on this site is still viable and robust enough to warrant upgrading the site. I've learned a lot about these cars from this site and put it to good use. VIVA CEG!!!!
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/09/06 11:25 AM
I don't really care so much about post counts as I do registration dates.

Right on! I'm with Rara on typing out long winded responses but never actually posting them. The adult in me takes over eventually and tells me not to add to the adolescence. I only wish I could do that in real life! HAHA
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/09/06 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Cobra:

The adult in me takes over eventually and tells me not to add to the adolescence.

Well, yeah, Kim would get jealous if you acted like a little kid too
Posted By: Stevers Re: PLEASE READ - 08/13/06 04:53 AM
Anthoer bouns of vBulletin is you can shut off post counts for certain forums. On the GTO forums, your count doesn't go up for anything in the Lounge.
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: PLEASE READ - 08/17/06 05:11 AM
I really wish the forums weren't changing, but are the changes taking place this weekend? If the site will be down, what's an estimated time it will be down for?
Posted By: Harrry Re: PLEASE READ - 08/17/06 07:22 AM
1 week if will be down for.
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: PLEASE READ - 08/17/06 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Harrry:
1 week if will be down for.

Am I translating this correctly as saying that the site will be down for 1 week (for sure) ??
Posted By: BigBalledOX Re: PLEASE READ - 08/17/06 11:16 PM
Over on NECO we've gone through a couple of server transitions in the past year, including a switch to vbullitin. A week is about on the money for what we've gone through.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: PLEASE READ - 08/18/06 01:37 AM
I hate to put words in Lance's mouth, but the way he is doing it should keep downtime to a minimum.
© CEG Archives