Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Nayan Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 02:12 PM
I believe this is my second post in this Forum. My wife had a 1996 Ford Contour that she bought brand new. We sold it to a friend of mine in 2004. He in turn sold it to another friend in 2005, then it got sold to another friend ! Now it came a full circle back to me. All these friends were in need of car and the Contour did a great job - ofcourse, it is now very tired.
Right now, it is at the Ford garage getting the flywheel replaced. Next, I need to pull some codes and see what's making the CEL stay on - guessing it is cat converter. If main cat converter is gone, is there any fix other than to replace it? Giving sucky gas mileage right now - but I see a lot of starting points in this forum and so will start checking on those.
Anyway, wanted to give you guys an update on the car.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Nayan:
it is at the Ford garage getting the flywheel replaced.

Since when do auto's have a flywheel? Do you mean flexplate?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 02:58 PM
... I need to pull some codes and see what's making the CEL stay on - guessing it is cat converter. If main cat converter is gone, is there any fix other than to replace it? ..

Pull the codes first. Main cat is not monitored. Should not have any codes relating to that.

If precats are shot, altenatives are mileliminators for lower O2 sensors ($30) or new precats (maybe $1500).

Get the codes first and post.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
... I need to pull some codes and see what's making the CEL stay on - guessing it is cat converter. If main cat converter is gone, is there any fix other than to replace it? ..

Pull the codes first. Main cat is not monitored. Should not have any codes relating to that.

If precats are shot, altenatives are mileliminators for lower O2 sensors ($30) or new precats (maybe $1500).

gut them precats
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 03:32 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

gut them precats

Either on car, or buy modded ones from a member for under $100.
Posted By: jtour Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 04:47 PM
Man that car has been around the block!

Sweet story on how the contique came back to the first owner.

Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/02/06 05:08 PM
i can do a cafax for you just to see how much of a whore that car is!
Posted By: Nayan Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 04:02 PM
I meant the flexplate. Saw that it got tooth grounded off due when replacing the starter.

I will pull cats once I get the car back from the dealer, who is putting the new flexplate.

What is this milelimniator? Can anyone throw some light?
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 04:33 PM
search google for it...

it eliminates bad o2 sensor readings on aftermarket exhaust systems.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 04:34 PM
Originally posted by JeSiZZle:
search google for it...

it eliminates bad o2 sensor readings on aftermarket exhaust systems.

not exactly

a mil eliminator will eliminate the pre cat codes, which on the contour are P0420 and P0430. you will still get O2 and cat monitoring codes and there for still need working sensors with mil eliminators
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 04:58 PM
To clarify,

With aftermarket exhaust systems.....

Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:
... you will still get O2 and cat monitoring codes and there for still need working sensors with mil eliminators

Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jtour:
Man that car has been around the block!

Sweet story on how the contique came back to the first owner.

That's pretty cool that you now have the car back.

Welcome Nayan.
Posted By: Nayan Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 07:52 PM
Yes, glad to have the car back.

One other question - maybe a dumb one - how necessary is to have a lift to work on this car? It kind of scares me a little seeing everything packed so tight. I am used to working on old cars and pickup truck, which have a lot of space to work.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Finally got the Contour back - 08/03/06 08:18 PM
Most of us don't have access to a lift. Ramps or jack stands.
© CEG Archives