Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 12:23 PM
does anyone know a good store/web site where I could find a vacuum pump strong enough to pump down the AC system? Reason being I know that I have a bad dryer on my Mystique that is leaking. If I replace that I know the system will work correctly, just had the dealer do this on my 99 since I didn't have the tools or knowledge to do this myself at the time.

Anyway, I would like to do it myself this time to save some money, I have a gage set so that I can monitor low and high side pressures.

thanks
Posted By: phil_dup1 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 01:33 PM
I found this:

http://www.acsource.com/prod/vacpumps.html

...and there's always eBay:

A/C vacuum on eBay

Has anyone used the cheapie hook-it-to-an-air-compressor vacuum pumps for A/C work? Do they really work?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 01:57 PM
thanks for the link, I was going to check ebay but I can't view ebay at work ... plus I didn't know if you needed a specific pump type either
Posted By: phil_dup1 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 02:17 PM
The quick reading I did indicated that the hoses for R12 and R134a systems are different. Outside of that, I don't believe there are particular differences between A/C vacuums.

Let us know how this project works out. I've only done a little A/C work, none of it requiring a vacuum.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 02:23 PM
Originally posted by phil:

Let us know how this project works out. I've only done a little A/C work, none of it requiring a vacuum.

to properly fill the system it needs the air pumped out of it, the R-134A has a vaporization point much much lower then air. if you have air in the system it will hurt the efficience of the system.

so since I have a leak so gross that two 12 oz cans leaked out in 3 days my system is so low it will not turn on. If I replace the accumulator/dryer the system will be openned completly up. Therefor the system needs to be evacuated to determine that it is not leaking and to also allow for the charging of the system.

these are all reasons I took my 99 in to the dealer for this, plus I needed it done with in a three day period before leaving for SZ. on my 95 if something gets messed up it will not bother me so why not try doing it myself this time since I have some better knowledge of how it all works
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 02:27 PM
Originally posted by phil:
The quick reading I did indicated that the hoses for R12 and R134a systems are different. Outside of that, I don't believe there are particular differences between A/C vacuums.

well I need to check but I would figure that the system could be pumped down from the low pressure service port, this means the pump could be connected to the R-134a fill line on the gage set I have, could even use the valve supplied for the R-134a can also
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/05/06 02:48 PM
answered my own question with some searching, JCWhitney has two types, $70 and $229 that come with fittings for R-134a systems
Quote:

Has anyone used the cheapie hook-it-to-an-air-compressor vacuum pumps for A/C work? Do they really work?

Yeah, I have one.

It does work, however, it has a tremendous demand for air. It's also noisy as is my compressor.....

Steve
Posted By: xdetroitx Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/07/06 01:10 AM
buy a cheap set of guages (cps brand)$50 use the r-12 reading and charge to about 35 psi, air should be coming out around 55 degrees and if u havent found a vacuum pump yet check the local pawn shop. pumps r too expensive for only 1 use, u only need a pump the pumps to 3cfm and thats about $250
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/07/06 02:52 PM
Originally posted by xdetroitx:
r-12

Maybe on your pre95...
Posted By: FrozenSection Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/08/06 10:51 AM
Check out some of the items/kits sold on

ACKits.com

That site also has a forum with a pretty knowledgeable moderator. Prices are reasonable, too, from looking around a bit at other places

On a slight tangent: I dropped off my Mystique at a shop for A/C work -- bad cycling switch, bad relay, rusted-out condenser and accumulator. Wish I had a garage to do some of my own work...
Posted By: twocontours Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/09/06 01:52 AM
If you can find an old refrigerator you can use the compressor. Just cut the old tubing and put a compression fitting on.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/10/06 04:02 AM
Interesting, do you have more detail?
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: vacuum pump to use on AC system - 07/10/06 05:16 AM
Originally posted by FrozenSection:
Check out some of the items/kits sold on

ACKits.com

That site also has a forum with a pretty knowledgeable moderator. Prices are reasonable, too, from looking around a bit at other places

On a slight tangent: I dropped off my Mystique at a shop for A/C work -- bad cycling switch, bad relay, rusted-out condenser and accumulator. Wish I had a garage to do some of my own work...

I'm a member of the forum. Tim (the owner) is a very knowledgable guy. Brad (Bohica2xo.. a moderator.. who I'd know for a long time) may be able to tell you more about the vac pump than I.

Try this to get to their forum.

http://www.autoacforum.com
© CEG Archives