Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: IRingTwyce After 8 years it was bound to happen.... - 07/05/06 03:31 AM
Got my first CEL warning tonight. Happened about 8:15 on the way to watch fireworks. I'll be swinging by Autozone tomorrow to get the code pulled. :sigh: I guess that's what I get for bragging a month or so ago that I'd never had one. At least I know the bulb just hadn't been burned out this whole time.
8 years with no CEL is pretty damn good!
Posted By: 111R Re: After 8 years it was bound to happen.... - 07/05/06 05:47 AM
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:
8 years with no CEL is pretty damn good!

i would have to agree on that!
OK...just got back from Autozone. It's a P0133 - bank 1 upstream O2 sensor. Time to search!

**EDIT** I found this in the How-To section

Originally posted by HowTo:Maintenance:
The MAF should be clean inside. If not, you have a leak that is letting air in that isn't being filtered. The wires may or may not look slightly off color. They can become oxidized over time, which can affect readings. Excess oil from a K&N or other open element filter that has been over-oiled can foul the wires, as well.

I cleaned and oiled my filter about 1�½ weeks ago. I'd bet dollars to donuts this is what's causing my problem. I figured the CEL had to be my fault, as this car has run flawlessly for me since new. Time to clean the MAF and fix my baby!
Posted By: jtour Re: After 8 years it was bound to happen.... - 07/05/06 02:28 PM
o2 sensor should be around $100 bucks or so for the fix. Man, 8yrs and your first CEL. I got my first CEL at 6yrs.
Welcome to the dark side!

If you haven't swapped out the O2 sensors yet, might be time to go ahead & take care of it under regular maintenance.
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Welcome to the dark side!

If you haven't swapped out the O2 sensors yet, might be time to go ahead & take care of it under regular maintenance.

At only 54,444 miles I'm pretty sure the O2 sensors aren't bad. I'll start w/ cleaning the MAF, and if the code trips agian then I'll move on to the O2. I'm po, so I gots to try da cheap fixes first!
Originally posted by jtour:
o2 sensor should be around $100 bucks or so for the fix. Man, 8yrs and your first CEL. I got my first CEL at 6yrs.

Heh, I've HAD my CEL on for 6 years!
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:

It's been ON for 6 years?!?!? Good lord, that would drive me bonkers! I started getting itchy after it was on for 6 minutes.
mine was on for 4 years before i bought it, went off for about a week while i owned it, and has since been on for 2 years

~Andrew
Posted By: 111R Re: After 8 years it was bound to happen.... - 07/05/06 05:38 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:

It's been ON for 6 years?!?!? Good lord, that would drive me bonkers! I started getting itchy after it was on for 6 minutes.

i am with you IRingTwyce, when the cel is on you really should act, like what i would do. but i happen to go to a dealership for something minor and realized the bulb had blown on the cel so it could have been on since i bought the car for all i know!
Mine has been ON for about 1.5 years now.

No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of it. Damn IMRC!

Replaced IMRC (3 times)
UIM/LIM rebuild and clean
2.5L died, replaced with 3L, still same code after swap
Changed IMRC grommets
Changed ECU

Only thing left is wire harness damaged. I finally have a parts car I can get the harness from, but now I need to find the time to swap them.
Mine has been on for years too. It runs good and gets consistently good gas mileage, so screw it...

Posted By: wa2tuff Re: After 8 years it was bound to happen.... - 07/06/06 02:52 PM
You guys are "lucky", I guess. If my CEL is on at annual E-check time, I don't pass inspection and get to spend up to $300 to fix it.....
Does anyone know if there were any changes to the upstream O2 sensor from 95 to 98? I just remembered I have a parts car for occasions such as this!
© CEG Archives