Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 12:36 PM
was wondering if anyone had gotten both the SVT front and rear bumpers into a contour/mystique at the same time and if so howd ya do it?
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 12:50 PM
I think someone has fit one bumper maybe two in the trunk with the back seats down.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 12:52 PM
I've has an SVT front, mirko and sideskirts in the trunk at once. I think you could do both bumpers with a little patience.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:12 PM
I'm thinking that the front seat needs to be layed down and that might help, any ideas one how they got all of that in there?
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:30 PM
I seriously doubt it...we put a front in Stylin55oh's and it was tight w/ some flexing (he had a passenger). The rear is much more rigid & won't give as much as the front. Not that I would recommend them flexing for any amount of time, you don't want them to warp, especially in this heat now.

Take some tools w/ you & swap out the bumpers & jamb your old ones in the car
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:34 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

better yet I will use a taurus or a windstar ...
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:36 PM
SVT front is doable because it has much more flex to it. The SVT rear has the bumper brace on it so not nearly as much play. The only way to transport both would be to have parts of them hanging out of the trunk, which would be ok for a short trip but not entirely safe for long trip/highway speeds.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:37 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
was wondering if anyone had gotten both the SVT front and rear bumpers into a contour/mystique at the same time and if so howd ya do it?

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:39 PM
The rear seats don't fold down flat, so maybe removing the backs to the seats will give enough space to fit both.
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:40 PM
Originally posted by todras:

So Todras... is that how you got over 19,000 posts? Just posting things like that?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ContourSVT93:

So Todras... is that how you got over 19,000 posts? Just posting things like that?

he asked me if I was planning to put the SVT kit on my Contour at SZ and I said I was sourcing the parts, I am leaving my car the stock Medium Steel Blue Metallic so it will look something like this:

but with no vynl flames and I have FSVT wheels
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:52 PM

Actually from flaming dumba$$es like you for asking about things they don't have a clue about.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:52 PM
Brian, that'll look great. I love that color w/ the SVT garb
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:54 PM

Actually from flaming dumba$$es like you for asking about things they don't have a clue about.

No need for that. I was just asking a question. It was sincere only because I do not see how somebody could have that many posts, my bad.
Posted By: Pale Horse Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:56 PM
BrApple...What If You Opened The Sunroof And Let The Corner Of The Rear Bumper Catch Some Air??? I Had To Do That With Mine, Although It Was In A Focus...I'm Not Sure If You Will Have Enough Clearance To Let It Sit On Its Butt Without Hitting The Bottom Of The Decklid.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 01:56 PM

No need for that. I was just asking a question. It was sincere only because I do not see how somebody could have that many posts, my bad.

I interpreted it as sarcastic...drop it & get your own thread.

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:01 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
SVT front is doable because it has much more flex to it. The SVT rear has the bumper brace on it so not nearly as much play. The only way to transport both would be to have parts of them hanging out of the trunk, which would be ok for a short trip but not entirely safe for long trip/highway speeds.

that still makes me wonder if it would fit with the front seat layed all the way back

Originally posted by SVT4STD:
The rear seats don't fold down flat, so maybe removing the backs to the seats will give enough space to fit both.

just have to remove the seat bottem to get the seat backs to lay flat.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:05 PM

just have to remove the seat bottem to get the seat backs to lay flat.

True, but I think it would be very difficult to get the seatbelts back into the holes with the backing still installed. They will leave you little to no room to squeeze your hands under there I would think.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:08 PM

True, but I think it would be very difficult to get the seatbelts back into the holes with the backing still installed. They will leave you little to no room to squeeze your hands under there I would think.

It's not too bad at all. A bit of a PITA but doable. Done it a few times for fuel pump R&R.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:10 PM
If you're going to remove seats, might as well take out the passenger's altogether too. I'm not sure if the tunnel was high enough to let the bumper sit normal, I know when it was turned face down, the sides hit the top of the decklid. If it will fit normal, you can probably sandwich the front [in front of] the rear & slide them towards the front of the car w/ the seats removed.

...or get the windstar
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
BrApple...What If You Opened The Sunroof And Let The Corner Of The Rear Bumper Catch Some Air??? I Had To Do That With Mine, Although It Was In A Focus...I'm Not Sure If You Will Have Enough Clearance To Let It Sit On Its Butt Without Hitting The Bottom Of The Decklid.

problem is I am looking to take my mystique and it doesn't have a sunroof, the contour has a hanging amp rack that cuts off part of the area that folding the seats creates so that is a no go, the sub box in the mystique can be removed.

I was just wondering so I can take my car and not have to borrow someone elses or worst case rent a van to get down to GTOPete to pick the bumpers up
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:18 PM
If you're going to remove seats, might as well take out the passenger's altogether too. I'm not sure if the tunnel was high enough to let the bumper sit normal, I know when it was turned face down, the sides hit the top of the decklid. If it will fit normal, you can probably sandwich the front [in front of] the rear & slide them towards the front of the car w/ the seats removed.

...or get the windstar

that is what I was wondering, if I could put the bumpers together and then slide them into the car with the front seat layed down, most likely going by myself, but if my gf wants to go I will try to take her taurus, but I think the area of the folding seats is smaller but of cause the car is larger ....
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:30 PM
My hesitancy to try and put an SVT front and rear into a 4-door sedan is for potential damage to the interior of the vehicle and/or the bumpers themselves.

I think the SVT front can be flexed to fit inside the SVT rear.

I think the only way it will work would be to remove passenger seat, remove bottom of rear and slide the bumpers in. The trunk may not close, so it would have to be tied with some twine.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:32 PM
My hesitancy to try and put an SVT front and rear into a 4-door sedan is for potential damage to the interior of the vehicle and/or the bumpers themselves.

I think the only way it will work would be to remove passenger seat, remove bottom of rear and slide the bumpers in. The trunk may not close, so it would have to be tied with some twine.

yes, I don't want to damage anything, time to move onto another plan ... thanks all for the input
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:37 PM

The rear has the inner support & studs protruding...I don't think you can really put the front inside very far w/o risking damage from the studs. It seems that a different vehicle would be best. I will say absolutely no way for both of them & a passenger.
Posted By: ElKy Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:40 PM
i think mikeyboy said he had fit both bumpers in his SVT and thats how he got the reverse dents in his trunk lid
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 02:50 PM
I have put an SVT rear in my car without folding down the seats. I just put the bumper diagonaly inside the cabin, opened the passenger front window just a bit, and let the end of the bumper stick out the window.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 03:11 PM

This seems to be the best bet, this way you dont have to rent a van.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 04:23 PM
Or just drive there w/o bumper covers. Might look ghetto but it's not illegal. When you get there bolt them on.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 04:32 PM
Or just drive there w/o bumper covers. Might look ghetto but it's not illegal. When you get there bolt them on.

maybe if I only had to go about an hour at most let alone 6.5 hours one way
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 04:34 PM
it might be cheaper to ship them if you going to borrow rent a car. Then have to pay for gas for a 13 hour drive.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 04:59 PM

maybe if I only had to go about an hour at most let alone 6.5 hours one way

Bah! I know a CEGer that drove around 6 months or more w/o them.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 05:01 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:
it might be cheaper to ship them if you going to borrow rent a car. Then have to pay for gas for a 13 hour drive.

don't need to rent just need to make sure my parents will loan me their windstar ...
Posted By: RawBurt Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 06:07 PM
MAke sure you whore when you are done
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 06:31 PM
I had a front bumper in my SVT but i really doubt both will fit
Posted By: m!key Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/14/06 10:11 PM
i had them both in. it is tight but they do fit. rara and chang saw it and they helped me get them out.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 01:19 AM
Originally posted by m!key:
i had them both in. it is tight but they do fit. rara and chang saw it and they helped me get them out.

can you explain any better? pics?
Posted By: m!key Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 01:45 AM
no pics. i think i had the front on the outside of the rear. it is tight but you can do it.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 01:01 PM
I'm in Indiana, so maybe I know more people with trucks. But don't you have a buddy with an S-10 or some other truck that can make the trip with you, for the price of gas and meals?

And driving 6.5 hours for bumpers.....

Mark
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I'm in Indiana, so maybe I know more people with trucks. But don't you have a buddy with an S-10 or some other truck that can make the trip with you, for the price of gas and meals?

And driving 6.5 hours for bumpers.....

Mark

not off hand ... I am only driving the 6 hours or so because I got a price I couldn't pass up ...

I mean I have my parents windstar that I could use if they let me, worst case I get a hitch for my mystique and use the trailer that we have, I was hoping to use my Mystique because with straight highway driving it gets better the 30 mpg and that would mean I could make the trip on two tanks of gas ...
Posted By: ElKy Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 01:42 PM
brian, you can borrow my truck if you want!
hehe

350Ci
4 barrel
4.10 gears
-----------
6 MPG

hehe
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 03:17 PM
I was hoping to use my Mystique because with straight highway driving it gets better the 30 mpg and that would mean I could make the trip on two tanks of gas ...

If you get a hitch for it, and tow a trailer your MPG will go down. So taking in to acount the price for the hitch and the MPG of the van you have a decision to make.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 03:20 PM
I've done both at the same time windows up. Like Mikey said, front huging the rear bumper. I believe I reclined the front seat a bit and had the fronts of the bumpers against the roof with either corners sticking into the front foot well and rear seat. However not going to happen with passengers. Drove 9 hours to SZing with a front SVT bumper this way.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/15/06 10:56 PM
IMO, the best suggestion I've seen so far was the one about removing your bumpers and installing the SVTs when you get there. Your mileage down may suffer slightly, but no much. As for people seeing your car minus bumpers, think you'll ever see that car you passed again?

Pros:
    1. You can drive your car to get them
    2. You won't have to buy anything new to make it work i.e. bumper hitch
    3. You won't lose any interior room, high comfort level
    4. You'll still get better mileage than if you took a minivan or truck

Cons:
    1. Your car will look ghetto for six whole hours

Seems pretty obvious to me! Good luck which ever way you decide!
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 05:15 AM
Originally posted by ElKy:
hehe

350Ci
4 barrel
4.10 gears
-----------
6 MPG

hehe

They'll fit in the Caddy........

May not save gas, but you'll be riding in style mang!

Off subject......
It really sucked trying to get the Kaotic bumpers home for me. Out the Moonroof, highway driving, on a windy day....

Any sympathy for me?
Posted By: EuroTour Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 07:57 AM
Just want to let you know that shipping through Greyhound would prob. be around $75 for both.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 10:01 AM
I once fit an entire hood in my trunk, and a fender, and a parking light. My seats didn't fold down in my Contour

a few towels to tie around the bumper, then tie the trunk lid down to the hook, then your good to go
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 11:37 AM
Originally posted by TaurusKev:
I once fit an entire hood in my trunk, and a fender, and a parking light. My seats didn't fold down in my Contour

a few towels to tie around the bumper, then tie the trunk lid down to the hook, then your good to go

that must have been fun
Posted By: ElKy Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bk4293:
Originally posted by ElKy:
hehe

350Ci
4 barrel
4.10 gears
-----------
6 MPG

hehe

They'll fit in the Caddy........

May not save gas, but you'll be riding in style mang!

Off subject......
It really sucked trying to get the Kaotic bumpers home for me. Out the Moonroof, highway driving, on a windy day....

Any sympathy for me?

actually the caddy gets about 13mpg, so it would be more economical!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 07:58 PM
Ok the best I think is a combo approach.

Drive there with the rear bumper off the car and put the rear SVT bumper on. Then transport the front in the car back home.

You'd only have a half ghetto car on the way there and not loose any mpg on the way!
Posted By: SEwannabeSVT Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 08:24 PM
I fit the svt front and rear into my trunk with the backseat down and the trunk bungie corded, and i drove highway speed (55-60mph) for a good hour and half til i was home so like others said, its all a matter of patience and playing a little bit of tetris with your car :P
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/16/06 08:33 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:
Originally posted by TaurusKev:

that must have been fun

Oh it was, because the trunk began bumping up and down since the lifts were busted on my trunk, and Then i ended up pulling over to make sure all my ropes were there, hadta drive around 40 minutes with my car like that from the Junkyard.

Got it home, and there were some minor scratches on the hood from the fender, Oh well. the car already looked like [censored] so now I have an 05 Taurus
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/17/06 12:13 AM
u keeping the fsvt wheels?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/17/06 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

yup, I really like them, but if I find something that I like better ....
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/17/06 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

yup, I really like them, but if I find something that I like better ....

noice! if u stumble accross a spare set of SVT fogs/brackets, shoot me a PM..
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/17/06 03:12 AM
Here is a couple good ideas:

1. Pull the rear bumper before you leave, and when you get there, put the rear bumper on and put the front bumper in the car.

2. Have one of the bumpers shipped and transport the other one.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/17/06 08:01 AM
Swap the bumpers, and take the SE bumpers back inside the car.....

Then let me drive Elkys Hearse.....
Posted By: ElKy Re: can svt bumpers fit in a contour - 06/18/06 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293:
Swap the bumpers, and take the SE bumpers back inside the car.....

Then let me drive Elkys Hearse.....

the closest you might get to driving it, is laying in the back!
haha
© CEG Archives