Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Y2KSVT Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 07:44 PM
I can't be 100% certain, but I will keep this thread updated. When I first got my car running with the 3L, I was running 19# injectors and the stock SVT throttle body. The car was 100% untuned, but I was getting 25-27mpg mix of city/highway. I'd be at 200 miles right when I was at 1/2 tank. When I installed the 64mm T/B, it seemed to kill my gas mileage. I didn't keep close records at that time, but I also installed the 39# injectors, and got the Xcal2 tune. Well, I was getting between 18-20mpg with the same driving habits. I would then be at ~160miles to the tank when I was at 1/2 full. I had almost ALWAYS gotten my gas at BP, using their 93 Octane Premium fuel. Well, I thought I'd give Shell a shot this last tank. Filled it up with their V-Power 93 Octane, and I just got to 1/2 tank with 196 miles!! I'm going to see how many miles I get to the tank, so I can be a little more sure. But this is the only thing I can attribute to the better gas mileage. Unless the old 65mm T/B I was running that had an air leak, was causing that much of a decrease in MPG. Anybody else using V-Power from Shell, and notice a difference?

Mark
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:01 PM
I like the V-Power because it sounds cool.

But didn't notice much if any difference from Mobil or Marathon 93 octane
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:08 PM
Gimick gas. Nto responsible for mileage increase.
Posted By: 1slosvt Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:16 PM
i changed from 91 octane available everywhere to amoco ultimate 93 octane and increased mileage by 3 miles a gallon. i have done zero maintenance outside of oil changes during the time i have switched and i now get 29.2 mpg and about 98% of my driving is at 80-85 miles an hour. so i definitely say just changeing fuel can make a real difference
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:27 PM
i've used v-powa for a year now and love it. i used wally world for one month and got shyt for gas milage. used BP same. Kroger same. Texaco, same. V-powa always got me better gas milage with same driving habits...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:28 PM
Well since an SVT is tuned to take 93. Running 91 saves you a $1 a fill up.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:30 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Like I said, I can't be 100% sure. The only thing I've changed is the throttle body. It's the same size, only this one doesn't have any air leaks. My driving habits are always the same. That means, ripping on it every time I'm in the car. I did fill up once with the new throttle body with BP gas, but still had the lower mileage. This tank being the first with the V-Power, and it's all of the sudden up. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Mark
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
... The only thing I've changed is the throttle body. It's the same size, only this one doesn't have any air leaks. ...

Air leaks = P0171 and P0174 = engine in limp mode = bad gas mileage.

But different brands of gasoline have different injector cleaners, additives, etc. in them. So it is possible that your 3L performs better with Shell brand gasoline.
Posted By: Chrisf695 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 09:39 PM
is it better to stay with a brand of gas...like always filling up with shell instead of mixing it up with amaco, bp and etc.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 09:46 PM
filling mostly with petro-canada 94
Posted By: ancientsanskrit Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Chrisf695:
is it better to stay with a brand of gas...like always filling up with shell instead of mixing it up with amaco, bp and etc.

I don't think so. Different companies add their own additives (Techron, 10% ethanol, etc), yet the additives are at such a minute concentration to the base, it hardly will make a difference. The only arguing point to the quality of the gas supplied, is the level of filtration provided by the gas station.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 10:57 PM

I thought it was tuned for 'premium' which in many places is 91 octane. Here, 93 octane is premium but just an hour north, 92 is highest commonly available. 89 is mid grade, 87 is low.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

I thought it was tuned for 'premium' which in many places is 91 octane. Here, 93 octane is premium but just an hour north, 92 is highest commonly available. 89 is mid grade, 87 is low.

Or in Montana, you have the choice of 85, 89, and 91.

Now, going from the high altitude/91 octane to Iowa/93 octane (with 10% ethanol), I would notice a HUGE increase in performance.

I know this wasn't an anomoly since I did the drive 3 times in the SVT in different times of the year, same results each time. I'd go back to Montana and have the same ol lame performance.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 11:23 PM
It is tuned for "premium", not a specific octane, on a technicality.

As for filtration.. KEEP THE HELL AWAY FROM ANY "mom and pop" shop. Habib's this... PJ'S that.. if it isn't backed and OPERATED by a major brand, don't do it. that doesn't mean that any site with the word "exxon" on it is major.. that's just their gas supplier.. stick to major chains.. Speedy Stop, On the Move, etc.

Some of those smaller places I've opened up and seen ZERO FILTERS on the manifold.. NONE.. unfiltered.. as in... all the crap goes to YOUR CAR.

a manifold change takes 2 minutes (shear valve, filter wrench, pull it, reverse), so the only thing that keeps people from changing thenm, or using them at all, is the expense of changing them.

Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/08/06 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Some of those smaller places I've opened up and seen ZERO FILTERS on the manifold.. NONE.. unfiltered.. as in... all the crap goes to YOUR CAR.

I know we had filters at Hyvee Gas (one of those gas station in a supermarket parking lot dealio) because the pumps were S-L-O-W when the filters were clogged.

We'd have to call up this company to come change them out.

But I did notice something odd when I worked there. We would get our gas from this fuel supplier. They would always deliver us different brands of fuel. You couldn't tell unless you looked on the invoice since it was all delivered out of the supplier's tankers.

Like one day we'd get Phillips 66, next day Exxon (which there were no stations in my town), BP, etc.

I don't know what effect mixing different brands of fuel has (like the mixing of their additives), but I tend to avoid it now...
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 12:02 AM
Slow is right.

Government requirements for 3/4" hosing (<=1.5hp stp's) is 10GPM. Filters can slow that to less than 2.5-3.0GPM! That's 4.5 MINUTES to fill your car up, vs about 1 min, 30secs at the correct flow! those Particulates don't get clogged as fast as the AD (water stopping) ones do, but still!

Posted By: ancientsanskrit Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

I don't know what effect mixing different brands of fuel has (like the mixing of their additives), but I tend to avoid it now...

Are you sure it wasn't just the base? B/c I've seen exxon trucks at BP for example, delivering just the base. They then add the additive at the station, from my understanding.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 12:35 AM
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Are you sure it wasn't just the base? B/c I've seen exxon trucks at BP for example, delivering just the base. They then add the additive at the station, from my understanding.

I don't have a clue... but I do know we didn't put anything into it.

All I did was sign the invoice!
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 01:00 AM

It's entirely possible that better gas = better gas mileage. I'm just waiting for someone to do a study on it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 02:40 PM
And tell me why it's better than BP, Mobil etc? It has more detergents in it. Probably not as good as buying some good FI cleaner and putting it in every few fill ups.

What it claims...
-Actively cleans intake valves and fuel injectors while car is running.
-Has more then 5 times the minimun amount of cleaning agents requires by govewrnment standards.
-Shell's most advanced fuel ever.
-Tests prove that V-Power can remove thoes deposits that low-detergent gasolines leave behind.
-V-Power helps remove intake valve and fuel injector deposits and protects your engine from future deposits.
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 03:08 PM
Originally posted by SVT3Rivieres:

Petro Can has 94 now? Maybe that is just in Quebec since the best I see here is 91 from Petro
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 04:51 PM
Never really payed attention to gas mileage.

But to stay on topic.....I only use Shell, BP, or Mobil premium gas.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Slow is right.

Government requirements for 3/4" hosing (<=1.5hp stp's) is 10GPM. Filters can slow that to less than 2.5-3.0GPM! That's 4.5 MINUTES to fill your car up, vs about 1 min, 30secs at the correct flow! those Particulates don't get clogged as fast as the AD (water stopping) ones do, but still!

How can you tell if they use filters at the gas station? I never knew anything about this. Usually just fill up at the BP or Mobil by my house, been averaging 20.5/21.5 which I consider low. I alternate between short-shifting and pussyfooting it, and running it up to redline in 2nd and 3rd gear. Couple weeks ago i filled up with Sunoco 94 and it took FOREVER to pump the gas. My mileage went up to 23 so i filled up with Sunoco 94 from another station. 20.3 MPG on that tank. WTF?? I wish i could have consistent 23-25 MPG especially with prices the way they are.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 09:52 PM
how can YOU (the consumer) or you (me, in the field) tell?

YOU can't easily tell. I can't tell without popping that lower door off. All it takes is a key and a 3 second peek, if you have one. Racetrac (Raceway, now?) Speedy Stops, Murphy USA (Walmart gas), etc, will all use filters. Major brand chains.

You could also ask the attendent (non-chalantly) if they hate changing the filters on their own... if they do it, they'll very agitatedly say "YES!" if they don't have them, (or have a company do them) then they'll like say "uh... what?" or "HAHA.. luckily we have someone do that for us!"

You can feel the responses for your own determination.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 10:08 PM
Even with filters on the pumps, it's possible to get bad gas. When my zetec was chipped and running on premium, I tried walmart 93 once and it made the car run bad. That's the only time I've gotten bad gas.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/09/06 10:27 PM
Originally posted by timeless420:
Originally posted by SVT3Rivieres:

Petro Can has 94 now? Maybe that is just in Quebec since the best I see here is 91 from Petro

Petro are the only place were i can get 94, and they are everywhere
Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/26/06 06:42 AM
I have to admit, when I first read this thread I thought it was BS. After my first tank of shell, I did the math and noticed an immediate 3 mpg jump. Second tank now and same results. I commute so my driving habits are fairly similar day to day, week to week.

I'll stick with it over a few months to make sure, but for now I'm a believer.
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Shell V-Power FTW!!! - 06/26/06 11:40 AM
I saw very little gains (less than 1 mpg), which to me isn't worth the headache of getting into a poorly designed Shell station whose 91 is $.06 more/gallon than Sinclair a couple blocks away.

Oh well...I tried something new. That's always fun.
© CEG Archives