Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: sail114 time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/22/06 07:26 PM
After owning my Contour for 6 years now, its soon time to say goodbye. I bought myself a 2006 Corolla for my birthday yesterday. Got a great deal on it, and simply couldn't resist. Its going to be quite a change of pace going from a 5spd Contour with plenty of power and handling to a 4cyl compact with tepid handling. The reasons were plenty, but mainly had to do with the fact that I've put 117k on my 'Tour and the repairs were starting to stack up. Also, living in the city I was getting around 22mpg on a regular basis. It'll be a nice change of pace getting in the 30's. So anyway, time for some cheap transportation.

I'll probably still be around until I sell my Contour, and will become a troll after that

My 'tour is in the classified page, so if anyone's looking...

Its been a great ride!
I would rather die in a fire than drive something so boring to save a couple hundred bucks a tear. To each his own.
Originally posted by tod "choco vag" ras:
I would rather die in a fire than drive something so boring to save a couple hundred bucks a tear. To each his own.

To each his own indeed.

Thing about the Toy, he can mod it so it is more exciting to drive. Now as far as looks, I dunno what's available for those, but I'm willing to bet he's got more options than with the Contour. Not a bad trade IMHO, just not for everybody.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/24/06 02:09 PM
This is a pretty tasty kit:

[img]
http://www.andysautosport.com/images/detailed_product/exterior/body_kits/body_kit_component/03_upcorollas1.gif[/img]

They used it on Pimp my ride. I'm not nuts about the skirts but the stock skirts on an "S" model might work.
Posted By: Tourige Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/24/06 08:28 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

To each his own indeed.

Thing about the Toy, he can mod it so it is more exciting to drive. Now as far as looks, I dunno what's available for those, but I'm willing to bet he's got more options than with the Contour. Not a bad trade IMHO, just not for everybody.

so you sell a fun car to save money on gas and buy a boring car to spend money to make it fun.. Clearly intelligence at work.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/24/06 08:29 PM
I'll take that over spending money to keep a car normal
Posted By: Tourige Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/24/06 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:

instead you'll put the money into the finance of a new car..
Originally posted by Tourige:

To each his own indeed.

so you sell a fun car to save money on gas and buy a boring car to spend money to make it fun.. Clearly intelligence at work.

Depends on your perspective. He wouldn't HAVE to spend money on the Toy, it would be by choice. Driving a less efficient car he would have no choice about the added expense - it is inherent in the vehicle.

Why to you care what he drives anyway? You don't? OK, so you're just b#%^$(&g. Let it go, man.

instead you'll put the money into the finance of a new car..

Are you saying we should never buy new cars?

Apparentl you missed the part about the repairs stacking up as a major driving force.
my girl just bought a new corrolla S. Nice car inside and out as well as stock GFX kit for the price. Personally, I wouldn't look at purchasing a corrolla unless it was the Sport. The regular corrolla is just to plain jane.
This is a pretty tasty kit:

[img]
]http://www.andysautosport.com/images/detailed_product/exterior/body_kits/body_kit_component/03_upcorollas1.gif[/img]

Oh my....that's little...at 6'3 230....there's No way i'll fit in a car like that
But To each his own.
Congats!!!!!
Posted By: ChiliSVT Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/25/06 12:57 AM
Originally posted by RialKnight:

Oh my....that's little...at 6'3 230....there's No way i'll fit in a car like that
But To each his own.
Congats!!!!!

actually the corolla S has more front hip room and front head room than the SVT. The Corolla S does give 1.5 inches less on leg room. But if you don't feel cramped in the SVT than you should be fine in a Corolla S. Oh yeah, the Corolla S also has more rear legroom and rear shoulder room than the SVT.

so WAY ! You can fit
I concur about the Corolla being roomier than the Contour. I traded a 1999 SE Sport with a Duratec for a fully loaded '05 Corolla LE, and I can personally attest to the fact that the Corolla has a bigger interior in almost every dimension. The trunk in a Corolla is huge also, more useful space than in a Contour.

I don't regret my decision one bit. My Corolla has several nicities the Contour didn't, however, my Corolla is atypical. Mine cost almost 20k, whereas the average Corolla sells for between 16k and 17k. All those extras like 15" Alloys, ABS, Sunroof, Cruise, Power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless, 6 disc in-dash CD, etc. really increased the price, but they make it a really nice economy car. It consistantly gets 38mpg highway, 29 city. I'd replace it with another before I'd buy a Focus.
Originally posted by red99sesport:
I concur about the Corolla being roomier than the Contour. I traded a 1999 SE Sport with a Duratec for a fully loaded '05 Corolla LE, and I can personally attest to the fact that the Corolla has a bigger interior in almost every dimension. The trunk in a Corolla is huge also, more useful space than in a Contour.

I don't regret my decision one bit. My Corolla has several nicities the Contour didn't, however, my Corolla is atypical. Mine cost almost 20k, whereas the average Corolla sells for between 16k and 17k. All those extras like 15" Alloys, ABS, Sunroof, Cruise, Power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless, 6 disc in-dash CD, etc. really increased the price, but they make it a really nice economy car. It consistantly gets 38mpg highway, 29 city. I'd replace it with another before I'd buy a Focus.

Congats!!!!!
20K for all that isn't bad at all!!!
Posted By: sail114 Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/25/06 04:09 AM
The only mod i'll be doing to the Corolla is to put some rims and larger tires on it. I'm not excessivey happy with the way the stock tires handle (they are pretty small at 185/65/15r). My logic for buying it was this: either I could put a couple grand into the contour over the next year (new clutch, struts, various other parts), or i could cut my losses, sell it and buy something new. Considering I was able to drive off the lot with a brand new Corolla CE (yah, i know it's the base model with no options) for under $13k. I love my Contour, have grown attached to it (owned it since day 1), but it's not the most reliable thing on the road, and I knew that it was only a matter of time before I was going to have to pay some serious cash to keep it up.

The corolla may not be the most exciting thing on the road, but now I have a car that I won't have to worrry about for quite some time... and that's what I was looking for.

Everyone's got their own reasons I guess. Of course, until I sell my contour, I'm still having my fun
Did I mention the tire pressure monitoring, the service reminder system, variable intermittant wipers, the automatic headlights, the DRL, the split folding rear seats, front seatbelt pretensioners, two powerpoints, a self dimming mirror with compass, an outside temperature indicator, simulated woodgrain trim, a bi-level console with fabric armrest, and an engine immobilizer.

That is a lot of car for 20k, which is why I chose it over a Civic, a Focus, a Cobalt, or a Sentra.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/25/06 01:16 PM
I think I'm turning Japaneese as well. Seriously considering turning in my SVT for a street legal go-kart called Fit. That's blasphemy to some of you I'm sure. But you can't really argue with 38+ Mpg.

Posted By: jtour Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/25/06 01:39 PM
I say great buy. My ex girlfriend picked up a corrolla and it is pretty nice. You will enjoy it and it will last forever.

Posted By: rouar Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/25/06 03:51 PM
But To each his own.
Congats!!!!!

I have a friend who is 6'4" and bought himself a Corolla S (older model, 2002). Granted he's a lot thinner than you (165) but with the seat all the way back he has no problem fitting in the car.

I sat in an '06 Corolla and found it a little uncomfortable for me since the steering wheel was at a really low angle and the seat was too high for my legs. Do the steering wheels have tilt? My friend's '02 is a lot more comfortable since you're sitting slightly lower.

It's a good car, and very reliable. Congrats, sail114!
The steering wheel has tilt, but not being able to find a comfortable seat/steering whell combo is a common complaint for the 2003+ Corolla. If you are somewhere within the average height range and are fairly slim, and you are proportioned so youy don't have really long legs, you can find a really comfortable position easily. Others seem to have a harder time doing so.

I too plan to buy a new Corolla or Pruis to replace my Mystique. To me, its an intelligent move. Gaining 10 MPH is definitely a plus, and nobody can question Toyota's quality or longevity. Plus, I want a car from an automatker that's going to be in business five years from now. I have zero confidence in FoMoCo's ability to design and market cars. I've driven Ford products since 1968. Time to give the Asians a chance.

Congats!!!!!

It is when you can buy a Mazda 6s for 21700 out the door loaded with every option.
Originally posted by monsoon725:

Apparentl you missed the part about the repairs stacking up as a major driving force.

And he had the choice of a billionty other cars in that price range that are pretty good looking and fun to drive. What about the Scion tC.?
Posted By: Tourige Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/25/06 05:15 PM
I think I'm turning Japaneese as well. Seriously considering turning in my SVT for a street legal go-kart called Fit. That's blasphemy to some of you I'm sure. But you can't really argue with 38+ Mpg.

enjoy that 80fwhp...

Congats!!!!!

It is when you can buy a Mazda 6s for 21700 out the door loaded with every option.

I'm looking at a Mazda6s similarily equipped to my Corolla on the Mazda website, and it cost over 25k MSRP. I never said I paid 20k for my Corolla, I said it cost 20k. The price I paid was 17,500.
Posted By: sail114 Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/26/06 01:23 AM

Congats!!!!!

I'm looking at a Mazda6s similarily equipped to my Corolla on the Mazda website, and it cost over 25k MSRP. I never said I paid 20k for my Corolla, I said it cost 20k. The price I paid was 17,500.

And I got mine for $12,800... it's got very little in the way of options, but like I said, It suits me fine for what I need now.

The comment about the driver seat is spot on. I'm 5'11" with long legs and have trouble finding a comfy position. I'm finally getting used to it, but when I go back and forth between the Contour, I have trouble adjusting.
Sail,

The reason for that driver's seat/steering wheel/pedals problem is twofold. One reason is the relationship between those three parts is a compromise between what was needed for the Corolla and what was needed for the Matrix. The problem is worse in the Matrix however, I suspect this is because they knew they would sell more Corollas. Reason two is that Toyota seems to make most of their cars for people of around average height, perfectly proportioned and on the average to slim side.

The exception to this is the Solara, which has a steering wheel/pedals/seat relationship that is more highly adjustable for people of about any size than in any other car in their current lineup.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/26/06 05:47 AM

enjoy that 80fwhp...

Yet people will attempt to mod it

"'Type SE-R Si' 40 HP at the wheels!"

I dunno, I am quite satisfied with my Taurus

I dont think I'd give it up for anything... Well, maybe Ford Five Hundred or better
Posted By: ymicz Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/26/06 12:41 PM
My dad has an '06 corolla S, which he bought cause my car was nicer than his (he had a '98 taurus) Personally, its not my thing, but at 6' 3" 300lbs, I can personally say those things are quite roomy for such a small car. For a 4 cyl, its got fairly decent pickup and the guages are pretty sweet at night, they are like white indiglo gauges. If I ever did buy a corolla it would at least be the XRS (more power and 6 speed), at that price range I'd rather invest in oh say an '03 Cobra .
Posted By: jtour Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/26/06 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ymicz:
at that price range I'd rather invest in oh say an '03 Cobra .

x 1billion!

buying a corolla is the equivalent of wearing wal-mart clothes. It's cheap and lasts a long time sure. But to anyone with a sense of style you look plain jane and cheap. The corolla is the epitome of boring. I think toyota told the designers, "Hey! make this thing look as much like a 40 year old english teacher's car as possible, we wanna make sure we dont make this have any style that stands out in any particular way." I remember growing up and my neighbors "cheap asses" always had these economy boring, ugly effing cars. I always thought to myself who buys that kind of crap. And now its seems more like the norm than the exception. Sure the corolla "s" looks a little more sporty, but it doesnt have a soul. the car is the same econobox as the base model and a very weak styling enhancement anyway.

For some people a corolla is just fine. But in my personal opinion I'm going to buy a car i think represents me the most. Something i am happy to drive and happy to drive others and happy to be seen driving. If it costs me more in gas so what.

Now of course dont live beyond your means.

sorry i just think that buying a corolla is a crime against anyone who sees cars as more than just transportation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 82 year old mother drives a Corolla 'S'. Good car for a great-grandmother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMAO found this and had to add it
Posted By: rouar Re: time to say hello to great gas mileage - 05/26/06 04:26 PM
If you are somewhere within the average height range and are fairly slim, and you are proportioned so youy don't have really long legs, you can find a really comfortable position easily. Others seem to have a harder time doing so.

Actually I'm the opposite: 5'9" with a really tall back and really short legs. The seat was too high for me to reach the pedals without bearing down uncomfortably on the seat. I looked for a height adjustment but didn't find any.
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
It's cheap and lasts a long time sure.

For some people a corolla is just fine. But in my personal opinion... happy to drive and happy to drive others and happy to be seen driving.

My 82 year old mother drives a Corolla 'S'. Good car for a great-grandmother.

The very points from your post highlighted. To each their own. Frankly, I would rather have gotten my mother a Mazda 3. Better looks, better pricing, better performance. Unfortunately, my brother who got her a car before I had a say in the matter is totally brand loyal to Toyota. He made one stop at the Toyota dealer & said, "This is your new car.".

I've driven the car & it is great for what it is intended to do - Way better than the Geo Prison (intentional mis-spelling) it replaced. It truely is a nice car, just not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:

For some people a corolla is just fine. But in my personal opinion I'm going to buy a car i think represents me the most. Something i am happy to drive and happy to drive others and happy to be seen driving. If it costs me more in gas so what.

sorry i just think that buying a corolla is a crime against anyone who sees cars as more than just transportation.

I feel the same way player, The Car sould fit the personally of the driver...... I've always injoyed my 95 Chevy Lumiua...I had her since day one...she fitted my needs & I was always happy to drive her & be seen driving her, she was more than a car....it was a part of me.

tho i've had it for 3 months now....I'm still getting use to The Contour, which is much smaller, and more harder to mod than my Lumiua.

my 95 lumina ( R.I.P 1/20/2006 )
© CEG Archives