Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I'm considering pulling the windshield and using a hogring gun and some Gorilla Glue to hold down my warping dash. I really don't want to use Ford's nasty dash warp kit, and I definately don't want to pull the dash/airbags, etc. I figure I can get the windshield pulled and re-installed for about $120 or so...any thoughts on this?
Originally posted by TBoomer:
I'm considering pulling the windshield and using a hogring gun and some Gorilla Glue to hold down my warping dash. I really don't want to use Ford's nasty dash warp kit, and I definately don't want to pull the dash/airbags, etc. I figure I can get the windshield pulled and re-installed for about $120 or so...any thoughts on this?

Or go to the junkyard and do my fix for a few bucks.
I'm listening....
Her you go.

Any more Q's PM me.
Midnight Blue owns me, though...don't think MNB was a pre-98 option.
I believe that piece is on the 1998 dash which definately was made in Midnight Blue. By the way I had this problem & used the fix kit. It's not that bad IMO, at least it's better than the warping. Good luck.

-Aaron
I think it is likely that you will spend a lot of money and still not have a satisfactory answer.

If you do the Ford fix,you might consider having the new panel painted to match so it doesn't stand out so much.
Big Jim, am I mistaken, or do you work for a Ford Service station?
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
Her you go.

Any more Q's PM me.

Is that a tan piece you found? so what do you do.. there is no How-to anywhere
Big Jim, am I mistaken, or do you work for a Ford Service station?

I haven't for about two years. I did for several years. Click on my name on the left side and you can see my profile. Currently I'm an auditor/consultant for ISO 9001:2000.
no offence.. but dude.. its an Auto. (Put foot on brake, put foot into gas. Dont crash)
Originally posted by Tourige:
no offence.. but dude.. its an Auto. (Put foot on brake, put foot into gas. Dont crash)

Drinking and posting don't mix, mmmkay....

That sums up my wifeâ??s opinion on cars.

Transportation Appliance

â??Why are you â??fixingâ?? your car when it already runs perfectly fine?â?

Actually, she knows better than to ask!

Itâ??s surprising to read something like this from you though.

Too much beer and a post in SVTperformance makes me go woo woo!!

On a side note, im actually doing this dash warp fix, i got the dash piece out of a pre-98 and all i have to do now is drill it in. Im still looking for some stuff tho.

Like for the directonal defroster its a differernt shape on the post 98's compared to the pre-98's so i dont want to lose the function of the defrosters.
Do you have to take the windshield out to drill? Im in need of doing something, the dealer that I go to tells me I need a whole new dash and the repair kit wont work. Im looking at my options, I did a search and this post came up along with a few others. Exploring my options, any advice???? Thanks.
Originally posted by EVOLUTION VIII:
Her you go.

Any more Q's PM me.

Ever write up that "how-to"?
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Her you go.

Any more Q's PM me.

Luisw did.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1017351&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
Hector, please write a how-to. I have a 98 dash in the garage. If mine warps any more, I'll have to hang my head out the window to drive! Help!

Rod
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Her you go.

Any more Q's PM me.

Luisw did.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1017351&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Thats for the warpage around the cluster. I'm looking for one concerning the warpage by the vent.
Originally posted by plance1:
Do you have to take the windshield out to drill? Im in need of doing something, the dealer that I go to tells me I need a whole new dash and the repair kit wont work. Im looking at my options, I did a search and this post came up along with a few others. Exploring my options, any advice???? Thanks.

Whole new dash?? Doubt it. Post a picture of your dash warp. Hector had it pretty bad & got his lookin' nice. I plan to do something similar in the near future.

You have a few choices:
1. Dash fix
2. Install new dash from dealer
3. Hectorize your dash with a 98 or older vent trim
4. Install 98 or older dash

I actually have a dash fix kit, but I haven't installed it because I HATE the look. Maybe painting the black vent trim to match the dash color would make it better...
I went to 2 dealers this week.
First dealer estimate: $1200 for a new dash installed

Second dealer: $1600 for a new dash installed.

I didn't really stick around to find out why the price was so different, but the service manager chased me down outside and gave me a phone number to call...a local trim restoration shop. I stopped by the shop and they came out and took a look.
"Ah, yeah...another Contour. $220 or so."

Seems the dealer I went to keeps sending them down to this shop. He said he's done dozens and they seem to hold up pretty good. He said he uses Silicone cement.
Thoughts?
© CEG Archives