Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GTO Pete Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/23/06 08:41 PM
There are a lot of new designs/redesigns over the last couple years that have given a new look to cars. How does the Contour / Mystique compare to the styling of today's cars? Cars like BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, Lexus IS350, Infiniti G35, Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX, Mitsu Evo, Ford Mustang, Acura TL & RL, Pontiac G6, Chevy Cobalt, etc. are good examples of "new" looks.

Some cars you can look at and tell it's dated. A 1992 Corolla looks like it's from the 90s. Aesthetic features like headlights, taillights, grilles, etc. are common for certain time periods.

(Note: This is regarding styling in general, not performance, price, etc.)

Compared to current styling, the 98-00 Contour's styling is:
much better than much of today's styling
somewhat better than much of today's styling
about the same as today's styling
somewhat worse than today's stlying
much worse than today's styling

I think that Contours look great. Some people have no clue what type of car I have. I have been told its a BMW, Honda, and tons of other things.

For what the car is and what time period it was made I would say it holds it own!
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/23/06 08:51 PM
I think the Contour in general still looks reasonably modern but uninteresting - just kind of "plain". About on par with today's designs and still better than some of them.

The CSVT I still think looks better than many newer 4-doors on the road. It too is on the plain side since that's what 90's styling was all about. It lacks the styling details you see on many newer cars. But the overall shape, proportions, lines of the body, etc are hard to beat.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/23/06 09:09 PM
The way that the body lines flow nicely is much better than todays styling... especially crap like those stupid Honda Elements.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/23/06 09:09 PM
I like the unique design and "contour" of my 96 Contour (the smooth aerodyanmic looks even though there were some, I'm sure which were more aerodynamic than the Contique). It seems that most cars today look the same. Actually, most cars of the mid 90s look the same with the exception of the Contour/Mystique.
Posted By: rouar Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/23/06 09:14 PM
I love the Contour's styling and *much* prefer it to many of the 'edgy' designs offered today. However, there are some cues that date the car for me, the most prominent being how thin the doors and trunklid feel against newer vehicles and the way the interior feels like it's just comprised of many pieces put together (which of course it is, but shouldn't feel like it is). The dashboard of my new car feels like it completely flows together, and even newer budget vehicles like the revised Focus, Cobalt and tC invoke this feeling for me.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/23/06 11:32 PM
i think it holds it own..much better that the pre98's...a couple of things that date it are the not so tight body gaps of the 90's and its bubbly shape...although the large clear headlights and chrome trim pieces keep it somewhat up to date with what ford is still doing,i.e fusion,500..etc
I think the Contour will age better than every sedan that was in its price range and most other sedans on the market. "Uninspiring" has its advantages.
I'd say it's still current enough. I bet it was way ahead of it's time back in 95 (as was the Aurora) when you had box-cars like the Olds Cutlass Ciera still lurking around.

I still get people thinking my car is brand new...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 04:00 AM
I still think the Contour can hold it's own in today's styling.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Me too. I've had so many people get into my car and say wow, this is nice. This is what a 2003, 2004?

Then I tell them it's a 98, and they see the mileage and they are in shock.
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
The way that the body lines flow nicely is much better than todays styling... especially crap like those stupid Honda Elements.

+1
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Rishodi:

+1

i like the element...it was desg. to be styling icon...it has a purp. and does it very well...
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 05:32 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by Rishodi:

+1

i like the element...it was desg. to be styling icon...it has a purp. and does it very well...

It makes me want to puke. Or better yet, just laugh at whoever the hell would buy such an ass-ugly car.
Posted By: rouar Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 05:43 AM
My neighbors have an Element.
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Me too.

me three
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 07:30 AM
i think it still looks like a contemporary design. then again, its not that old. i had a 98 accord which still looks contemporary as well.

on the flipside, my buddy was trying to convince me that 1st and 2nd gen SHOs still look contemporary. even moreso than the csvt
Posted By: jeffb99_dup1 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/24/06 11:07 PM
I think that the design is starting to look a little dated when compared to the new Acura TL and Honda Accord. However, when compared to the new Altamas, it looks very competitive so I guess it is still competitive. It would have been nice if Ford had started to introduce some type of two tone interior with maybe a different color for the seats and carpets and dash. Overall, I still glance over my shoulder at my Mystique when I get a chance.

Regards,

Jeff
Dallas

1999 Mercury Mystique GS
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 LS - by the way, this is a bad ass car - 150 MPH top speed. See pictures of it under my profile.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/25/06 03:02 AM
The early cars, especially, are completely early to mid 90's in appearance. The Squinty headlights with the faceted lenses, the ovoid theme carried to it's near extreme (vs the Taurus), place it squarely in its own time period.

Not that that's a bad thing. I

Posted By: jtour Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/25/06 01:04 PM
I think the post 98 Contiques hold up well with todays cars. Not just cause I have one because of the clear headlights and the rear reflector. Its the same idea that the cavalier came out with. Contiques are good looking cars. But we do have realize that the day for the contiques has come and gone.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/28/06 02:24 AM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
I still think the Contour can hold it's own in today's styling.

I agree 100%! I love the way the car looks, especially for a 4 door. It always gets alot of looks and compliments which I attribute to the overall style of the car, not just for what I've done to it. You can pour money into a piece of crap and when you're done, you still have a piece of crap. You have to start with style to end up with style.
Posted By: 2slowtour Re: Poll: How does the Contour compare? - 01/28/06 02:51 AM
i think the svt contour still looks really good. i still see people in traffic lookin over and trying to c what it is and how nice it looks . ive had people ask me what is that 6 times in one day and when you give them the answer they are like wow they make those. i love the way svt contours look in the dark with a little bit on light just shinning down on it... really sexy.
© CEG Archives