Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GTO Pete Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:18 PM

How much longer do you think you will own your contour / Mystique?
Already sold it!
Less than 1 year
1 - 2 years
2 - 3 years
3 - 4 years
4 - 5 years
5 - 6 years
6 - 7 years
7 - 8 years
8 - 9 years
More than 9 years

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:21 PM
definitely less than 1 year....

not to say I will not an "AN" SVT though.. (wink wink)
I'll probably end up with two svts for a brief period, before the sale of this one happens.
Posted By: TGO Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:22 PM
i'll seriously start trying to sell it this summer.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:30 PM
You couldn't have had another category of "who knows?"??? I always thought I'd hang onto the car forever, but priorities change from how cool I can make my Contour, to how much value I can add to my house. Right now, I like the idea of working on my house. I'm about to pay the car off here in May, FINALLY! I've toyed around with the idea of selling it, and taking the money to pay off some other loans, driving the SHO(paid for) for a year or so while saving some money, and starting with something a little newer. I change my mind everyday.

Mark
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:41 PM
as of this moment in time I plan to keep my contour a good long time based on what I have put into the car. my mystique on the other hand I am not sure, I love the car to death but it is getting up there in milage. I have been thinking of something else to drive daily but I don't know at this time. Funny thing you posted this I was looking at the ford website last night and the only car they have available that has a V6 and a 5spd is the mustang ... and that wasn't everything I wanted to select as criteria when using the car selector thing on the web page
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:49 PM
Sheeee goneee.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I always thought I'd hang onto the car forever, but priorities change...

Absolutely. I was in the same boat as you not too long ago.

You couldn't have had another category of "who knows?"???

I intentionally excluded that category. I wanted people to take their best educated guess, rather than just click "I dunno".
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:51 PM
2-3 yrs.
this old gal is showing her age.
She stays til she decides her time is up.
That's not to say I won't pamper as best I can until that time.
Posted By: Dr. Cross Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 06:55 PM
At this point, for what my car is worth (private party resale) I think I'll just keep it forever for a w/n and nice day driver. I'm really hoping for a SVT Fusion in the not too distant future for a daily driver.
Posted By: jtour Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 07:22 PM
You should of had an option of "Until the doors/wheels fall off." I plan on keeping it for as long as it goes. I owe nothing and its worth more to me than selling it to someone. I would love to buy an SVTContour but I cant do it now due to lack of funds. So I hope the Fusion comes out with an SVT model soon.
Posted By: Silversvts Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 07:25 PM
I'm looking to sell mine now. Its been a great car but I just got married and I need a bigger car. Anyone looking to buy a 2000 Silver SVT?
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 07:26 PM
I plan on keeping my SE and SVT as long as I can. There is no point really selling them as I won't get much for either one. They both have kinda low miles (SE 71k or so, SVT 67k) so I'm sure they will last awhile still. It's sad to see some of the old time members selling and getting out. I suppose if your older than me (I'm 21 and in college) you might have enough money to get a nicer ride.

P.S.
I like the idea of these polls Pete!
Posted By: PearlBlueSVT Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 07:31 PM
I'll be in the smae "till the wheels fall off" categroy as I've only got 19,000 miles on my 2000 SVT.. she'll be worth to keep when I pay her off this summer.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 08:34 PM
I'm gonna keep her forever, she will die one day, as do all things... But then comes the restoration/rebuild process.

hopefully someday it will be worth alot of money and I can retire off of selling it - yeah right.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 09:08 PM
I need to keep it for at least 3/4 years so I can take a car back to the states with me.

Only thing that would change is if I were to buy a new/used US spec car here (or a Euro spec that can be converted...)
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 09:43 PM
Probably less than one year. I have a potential buyer but there are too many questions about the situation on both ends to make it a sure thing right now.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 10:10 PM
where is the "until I die" option?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 11:05 PM
1-2 years, after i have enough saved up and depending on the worth of the SVT ill be getting into an 03 Cobra.
Posted By: RespectTheContour Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/16/06 11:52 PM
im torn...i love the car, i really enjoy it, but...i really want to find a low mileage lightning and im not sure if i will keep the csvt too, its a battle in my head for sure, ill definately keep it until at least spring though, but after that, its anyones guess, haha
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 12:03 AM
Originally posted by skrilla187:

It's been kind of stagnant on CEG as of late and I'm just trying to keep CEG intersting with some thought provoking discussion that is CEG-related.
Posted By: RespectTheContour Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 12:57 AM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Originally posted by skrilla187:

It's been kind of stagnant on CEG as of late and I'm just trying to keep CEG intersting with some thought provoking discussion that is CEG-related.

and that is why you do what you do, haha, good call
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 01:18 AM
I thought I would keep mine forever......sold it in October......got a much more capable car.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 03:03 AM
I love my car, but I've been looking around at a few other vehicles here and there. No clue how long I'm gonna keep it, this is the longest I've owned one so far (2 years).
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 03:31 AM
I don't know what the future will hold for me & my Contour . To be totally honest , we've had a Contour in our driveway for so long ('95 SE then '00 SVT) , I can't imagine life without one . I guess then I'd have to drive my mom's Mystique to get my CDW-27 fix (since my bro traded his 'Tour) . I can't say I'm getting bored with my Contour , I guess I just don't know what I need out of it anymore ... if that makes any sense .
Posted By: Coolkuehl3_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 03:54 AM
I hope to get another year or two out of my '96 SE, but that might be pushing it. Starting to really show her age and I've had too many costly repairs within the last year. If she keeps going, I'll keep her in the fleet....otherwise, its goodbye.
Posted By: GrimmSVT Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 04:16 AM
As long as she will move on her own.Or until I wreck it.
Posted By: rouar Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 05:15 AM
Sold it ... rather wish I hadn't, but it wasn't necessarily a sensible (or even feasible) option to keep it.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 05:34 AM
It'll be gone no later than March. All depends when I take delivery of the Cobalt. Can't wait to get rid of the car. The more I drive it the more I hate it. I beat on it so hard now,I'm just trying to kill it.

Funny,when I bought the car,I impeccably maintained it,replaced almost every frickin part and spent more money than I should have on it,always kept it clean and nice and now I haven't washed it since November,I'm due for an oil change by the end of the week,which I'm going to skip,and I need new front rotors. I'm not spending any more money on the car except for fuel and insurance. if something breaks,to the scrapper it goes.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 02:19 PM
TwoTwinTours - I think I've read every post of yours that talks about how much money you spend on repairs. Do you walk into a repair shop with the word oblivious on your forehead? I bet you'd pay to have your tires filled with air. When you walk into Joe's muffler shop, do the 2 guys behind the counter look at eachother kind of funny, then laugh a little bit, and then start doing a money dance? Do you direct deposit your paycheck, right into the Ford dealership account? Unless you blew your engine and transmission, and the suspension completely fell out from underneath the car, there's no way you should have spent the money you did on repairs. Sorry for the long rant, but your posts about spending $9000 in a year on repairs just makes me .

Good luck with the Cobalt.

Mark
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 03:24 PM
I didn't answer to the poll because I've had mixed feelings in the past and lately. So I'm not too sure.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 03:53 PM
TwoTwinTours - I think I've read every post of yours that talks about how much money you spend on repairs. Do you walk into a repair shop with the word oblivious on your forehead? I bet you'd pay to have your tires filled with air. When you walk into Joe's muffler shop, do the 2 guys behind the counter look at eachother kind of funny, then laugh a little bit, and then start doing a money dance? Do you direct deposit your paycheck, right into the Ford dealership account? Unless you blew your engine and transmission, and the suspension completely fell out from underneath the car, there's no way you should have spent the money you did on repairs. Sorry for the long rant, but your posts about spending $9000 in a year on repairs just makes me .

Mark

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't put 9k into my car and I have a LONG LONG list of receipts!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 03:59 PM
Planning to make a financial move in the next year or two, and part of that will bring the benefit of being able to purchase a new(er) car. I'm lookin' at trading the Contour or Mystique for a used Town Car, LS V-8, Jag 3.0, or perhaps a new Milan or Mazda 6. Few more things are coming into play as time goes on. I've got plenty of time to weigh my options & pick something that will best fit the next phase of my life.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 04:10 PM
James,
Might I suggest the LS V8? Not sure if you've driven one yet, but they are flippin' sweet! They handle great, even in the snow. The Town Car is a nice ride, but too Grandpa for my tastes. Jaguar is another nice ride, but hard to find for a decent price. Good luck, as I'm wondering if I'll end up taking the same route one of these days.

Mark
Posted By: KyleH Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 05:31 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:

Mark

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't put 9k into my car and I have a LONG LONG list of receipts!

So was I.

If your going to have a car with as high mileage as you have on that one...you should be able to do the majority of the work on it yourself. With the Explorer, Mystique and my first Contour (haven't had to repair anything on the SVT) combined, I haven�t spent that much on repairs, and that includes a torque converter and pump replacement by a tranny shop for the Explorer.

Sorry for the OT. Back to the original topic.
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 05:50 PM
As another posted, I'm waiting for an SVT version of the Fusion. Having said that, if I am overcome by the modding bug, I'll probably have to keep the car or un-mod it before trading it in - assuming it's worth anything as a trade-in, as I have too many vehicles already. I'm already having second thoughts about doing too much modding and may just put it back to stock before I get any deeper into it. If there's no SVT Fusion, then I guess I'll keep the Contour.
Karl
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/17/06 06:01 PM
I've already sold 2!
Posted By: MLuko Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/18/06 05:27 AM
i might be buying a mystique
but on a different note.. i'm going to the gave with my SVT...
Posted By: MazTour Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/18/06 08:05 AM

Mark

I have a full service history or every part I've put into the car. I personally can't do stuff like swap a tranny on my own. I bought the car in rough shape with 160 000mi on it. Just to pass the safety check I needed brakes,struts,ball joints and tires. After all that was said and done,a few weeks later the tranny was toast and needed to be replaced. Then the water pump blew on my way to work...then my cv shaft started clicking,and my wheel bearings started howling,then my starter motor started sticking and so on and so on.

I basically had to throw money at it to fix it properly because I neither have the time,space or tools to work on the car myself. I just got home from work. I worked 12 and a half hours today. That doesn't leave me much free time to wrench on my car. It's 3am right now. I've been up since 8am this morning. I have a mechanic friend who gives me large discounts on his labour rate,and I haven't spent much money on labour,it's all been in parts.

The car was a piece of [censored] from day one. I traded in a perfectly good Mystique that just needed new tires and a temp sender and some light bodywork,for a steaming pile of crap. Worst decision I've made in quite a while. Well,since my ex atleast....
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/18/06 01:19 PM
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
Worst decision I've made in quite a while. Well,since my ex atleast....

I had to laugh at that one !
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 01/18/06 02:39 PM
James,
Might I suggest the LS V8? Not sure if you've driven one yet, but they are flippin' sweet! They handle great, even in the snow. The Town Car is a nice ride, but too Grandpa for my tastes. Jaguar is another nice ride, but hard to find for a decent price. Good luck, as I'm wondering if I'll end up taking the same route one of these days.

Mark

LS V-8 is definately in consideration, and the Town Car too. I likes my comforts... The Jag may be off the list. The reliability reports seem to suggest quality is hit-or-miss. At any rate, I'd expect better marks from Jag. Pricing is not crazy for them either. 2002 models (both 2.5 and 3.0) can be had for under $15k US pretty regularly. Some 2003s have been seen in that price range also. I love the car, but I'm approaching 45 years old myself & the little repairs & such that we go through for the Contiques is something I would like to minimize in the future.

I am also now considering Honda as my family has had such great experience with the cars & the customer support from Honda corporate. I don't like the stock handling for their cars, and the feel has always seemed a bit rubbery & detached from the Accord coupes that I've owned & driven (currently own a '98 EX coupe), but there is a huge aftermarket to tap into that may fix that.

The field was narrowing...
Posted By: Nezerconezer Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 07/23/06 03:22 AM
Bumping an old topic.

I plan on keeping my SVT for a long time yet. Its got low miles and I drive 10k a year so it will be in service till I or someone else runs it off the road.

I hope to do what my father is doing with the 67 cougar keep running it till it wont go anymore then park it the garage, as a pice of your history.

Although my Zetec mystique can go to hell.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 07/23/06 03:25 AM
So did you search for this or something, and decided to bring up a 7 month old post??
Posted By: Nezerconezer Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 07/23/06 03:37 AM
It allways better to keep en existing thred then to start a new one. Plus I'm bored as hell at work with nothing else to do.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 07/23/06 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
So did you search for this or something, and decided to bring up a 7 month old post??

Archive of Polls stickied at the top of this forum. Even says Please feel free to vote in and continue discussion on any previous polls!.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 07/23/06 08:00 AM
I'll keep the "twins" around for a good long time, collector status. The 2000 goes up for sale at 65K miles, a couple months at most.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Poll of the week 1/16/06 - 07/23/06 08:01 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Originally posted by Matt R:

Archive of Polls stickied at the top of this forum. Even says Please feel free to vote in and continue discussion on any previous polls!.

Ah ok, my mistake, and my appologies.
© CEG Archives