Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GTO Pete Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 08:48 PM
Disregard the CEG factor - friends made, forums, etc.

Based purely on the platform itself, knowing what you know now, if you had to do it again would you have purchased a Contour/Mystique?
Yes
Probably
Unsure - 50/50
Probably not
No

Discussion welcome.

Thanks MattR!
Of course I would! I just bought the SVT 1/5/06 so I hope I would still want to buy one a week later! I think it was nice having a SE first because as a buddy of mine said, "The SE looks great but now that you got a SVT it can be a masterpiece."
Posted By: G Stone Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 09:09 PM
My car kind of fell in my lap so I HAD to take it. It was my aunts and she had some guy at a gas station(yes, I know) tell her what was wrong with it cause it wasn't shifting. Guy says tranny. She buys a new car, finds out it was a sensor. Voila! I like it but I can't help but want another car though. I guess its a good first car though. I like it.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 09:09 PM
For somebody who can turn a wrench to some small degree these are great cars to own. The platform has its weaknesses, but with some aggressive mainenance the three I have owned have been relatively trouble free. I.E., they've never stranded me or my family, and high dollar repairs have been few.

Alternator nearly left me high & dry, but that was the fault of the shop that did the first r&r for me.

Admittedly, if your intent is to mod, there are better choices. For an all around package to keep nearly stock or lightly mod, these cars are hard to beat - especially for the price.
Purchase, yes. Mod to the extent I have. No.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 09:18 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 09:25 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Mark
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 09:27 PM
based solely on the car itself I would still buy one now

for the money it is a good car, the reason I got started was because I like my fatehrs car so much back in 96 when he got his 95. that made me want to get one just like it. and it was down hill from there

I do know I wouldn't have done as much as I have done to the car if it wasn't for the forums
Posted By: ctmystique Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 10:12 PM
I just got my mystique last summer '98 LS after my son totaled our '94 Caravan. I was looking through the paper and found it for $1400. That's exactly how much the Ins. Co. gave me for the Caravan. Anyway In the first week I found out the alternator was fried. Cost me $600 more. and the MTX75 grinds in 3rd, bad syncros. Not looking forward to that $$$. But some how I still fell in love with this car. It's got plenty of power and It's still stock. I wouldn't trade it for anything execpt maybe a Viper or Vette or Porsche...... But it's a good car and I would/will buy another one.
Posted By: ODC Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 11:07 PM
Yeah.

There's not many cars like the CSVT that are available for the price.

Ideally I'd like a 330d, but that's not available.

Other options are the M6 Sport GT or the Acura TSX. Both are in the new range and double at least the cost of a used CSVT.

The new A3 catches my eye but again, too up there in price.

Meanwhile GM churns out big sedans with fwd V8's, Ford releases ugly cars with auto only and DC has given up on the performance mid-compact segment. Toyota doesn't make anything exciting. BMW's hurt too much on the insurance side.

It's sad that Europe has all the cars that I would buy/like, too bad the gas over there is nutty. When the hell will car makers learn the market is changing ...
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 11:23 PM
OK, looking at 1996, and what was available, with the same entering arguments, Yes I'd have picked the same car, no regrets.

But, if my wife and I had not been hell-bent on a new car with all the latest airbags and other safety gear, I might have shopped the used market more heavily, and then who knows?

Posted By: jtour Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/12/06 11:40 PM
Only if I could get the SVT. Well the 99LX power nothing was all I could afford in high school. Its a nice car but I would of loved the SVT.

So SVT or nothing for me.

Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 01:54 AM
I've got an answer , but with a twist . If I had it to do all over again , I would have KEPT my '95 SE , and NOT have bought my CSVT (traded the '95 in on my SVT - to buy the SVT new in '01) . The SVT has been a pretty good car to me , but not without headaches . I had MANY issues with it early-on , that took it back to the dealer many times , most of which were resolved - a couple that I just live with (not that I should HAVE to) . The '95 was SUCH a better car build & quality-wise it's not even funny . You HAVE to have owned both back-to-back to fully comprehend what I'm saying . Plus , I could drive that car anywhere at anytime without fear of any issues whatsoever . I autocrossed it , �¼-miled it ... just drove the wheels off it without a second thought . I wish I could say ANY of that about my SVT - and it's only got a hair over 30,000 miles on it . Not to mention that the '95 would've been paid off years ago & I would still have my sportbike , had I kept it (sold it for extra $$) . My SVT is a great car , but I wish I could really enjoy it , without fear of hurting it , or something hapening to it . With that being said , it's still unclear to me how much longer I'll keep it . Until then , however , it'll be handled with kid gloves - trust me .
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 01:55 AM
When I bought the car in 01, there still wasn't much to choose from in the affordable hi-po sports sedan market. So, yes, I would definately do it again.
Posted By: jtour Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
I've got an answer , but with a twist . If I had it to do all over again , I would have KEPT my '95 SE , and NOT have bought my CSVT (traded the '95 in on my SVT - to buy the SVT new in '01) . The SVT has been a pretty good car to me , but not without headaches . I had MANY issues with it early-on , that took it back to the dealer many times , most of which were resolved - a couple that I just live with (not that I should HAVE to) . The '95 was SUCH a better car build & quality-wise it's not even funny . You HAVE to have owned both back-to-back to fully comprehend what I'm saying . Plus , I could drive that car anywhere at anytime without fear of any issues whatsoever . I autocrossed it , �¼-miled it ... just drove the wheels off it without a second thought . I wish I could say ANY of that about my SVT - and it's only got a hair over 30,000 miles on it . Not to mention that the '95 would've been paid off years ago & I would still have my sportbike , had I kept it (sold it for extra $$) . My SVT is a great car , but I wish I could really enjoy it , without fear of hurting it , or something hapening to it . With that being said , it's still unclear to me how much longer I'll keep it . Until then , however , it'll be handled with kid gloves - trust me .

WOW, Im very surprised to hear that. But if you want to get rid of the SVT let me know!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 02:23 AM
I'd definitely would, though I wouldn't have modded it.
It's a good riding and handling, reliable, and roomy car. A zetec with a manual or a duratec with auto or manual is plenty peppy.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 02:55 AM
As soon as I found my V-6 5-speed contour, I purchased it 2 days later. If I would have known that SVTs were available I would have looked around a lot more for one of those. I have just always loved the way the Contours looked. When my friends say that my car is ugly, I kick them in the shin
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 03:10 AM
Yes, and I just did it again. I picked up a '95 SE MTX Monday.
Leather, moonroof, traction control, only 86k miles. I have some SVT bits going on this weekend and more on the way.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 03:13 AM
Original Contour: zetec atx ...zzzzz- wouldn't have bought that again. Good car, just way too boring, however excellent handling.

New Contour: 3L SVT...would do it again in a heartbeat...just wish there was a cheaper turbo kit available
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 03:15 AM
I put probably. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have bought a cheaper car with more potential and aftermarket. Ive spent 1000s in mods, and on some platforms that would get me rocket ship speed. On this, not quite. Hell, think what Buckshot could have on his hands if his money was invested into, say, a Supra. Or hell some older Nissan RWD. Could have one hell of a car for that.

Though it has been GREAT for me so far. Its so so sexy too, my alternatives wouldnt be able to touch this car in looks. I love it. Not to mention its nice to have something that not everyone and their brother has and have people ask "What kind of car is that?!" I also needed 4 doors, and since my aftermarket budget was initially very small, I needed something that I could be happy with in stock form for some time. At the time of my life when I purchased it, it fit the bill perfectly. 1 owner, low mileage, warranty (yeah, it still had one), beautiful shape, bone stock. I fell in love. Ive also learned TONS since Ive owned it. Looking back at my first statement, I would now be much wiser about where money went first on my car so my money would go much much further on my next project.

Ill probably hold on to her for a while still. Who knows what will happen when I get a real job here in a few months and actually start having the $$$ to do things. If the SVT stays around, its going to be a project car and turn into a monster. If not, she'll be sold and Ill get a cheap new DD with a warranty to get me around until I find my next project.

We'll see!
Yes, but I would have traded it before the value plummeted like a rock (~2 years after purchasing). Decisions being made now would be much easier if I was driving a RWD something.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

I had a '96 SE right up to the day that I bought my SVT, and still "technically" own the '96. I completely disagree with you. Both hold the exact level of build quality, and I love both of them. I would have definately still bought the SVT , had I known what I know now. I also would still have modded exactly as I have now. All but the "clear corners", that Mark and I surgically modded with The Magic Stick . I feel just as the quote says below...
Posted By: dpa43_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 03:34 AM
Very good question.

I voted yes but after thinking about it I am not sure. If there was no contour website then I wouldn't have found all the aftermarket parts and help online. When I purchased my 96 SE back in 98, I was mainly looking for another Ford possibly Taurus SHO or Thunderbird. I told the dealer that I am looking for one with a factory sunroof and MTX and it had to be blue.He didn't have anything like that at the time except for the 96 SE. I also looked at it as a family starter car since my girlfriend at the time had a kid. But the test drive sold me when the salesman said to open it up and it did.

So once the 96 got wrecked it took me a year but I did get another, an SVT this time!!!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 04:23 AM
HELL YES!!!!
Posted By: rouar Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 04:26 AM
Absolutely. I liked the Contour well before I could drive, even though I had never ridden in one in person (even have an 8th grade journal entry on it). To say I've always wanted one might be an overstatement, but to say the car fits me perfectly is not. It was a shame mine had so many problems, but probably for the better that I sold it when I did. I will own an SVT someday, but not for my reliable daily driver.

I do love my Maxima, but even with all of the features (both big and small) and ride comfort it's got it can't truly replace the Contour in the sense that it's "my" car.

(However ... I'm beginning to wonder if I could ever go back to owning solely a Contour having enjoyed all the features in my Maxima right now!)
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 05:01 AM
Yes I would it it again, but not with a zzzzzZetec. I wish I would have bought one with a Duratec.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 05:10 AM
i voted prob. not...i have a love/hate relationship with the car...i didnt have much of a choice at the time..the car i was driving at the time decided to die...right in front of the ford dealership...so walking by i noticed the car...liked the look..kinda,so it was a v6..okay..mtx..alright...test drive..i love it!!! didnt make it more than 300 feet from the dealership when i turned around and told them i wanted it...if i could do it again...yeah,i still would've bought it i guess...i would've left it stock..except for exhuast and intake...i liked it so much better when it looked like a stock se....today...i love her...a month ago i couldnt stand the thought of having to work on it again..
Posted By: ODC Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 12:14 PM
Actually, there's one more car I'd like to add that I'd be interested in apart form the CSVT:

I really didn't like them before, but for some reason that car in red is really growing on me ...

Oh hell, who am I kidding, I want it in black .
Posted By: blake_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 02:09 PM
i would - if the question is directed at the time of original purchase. i.e., i bought mine new in august of '98....and at that time, the only other cars i was interested in were (new) preludes, passat 1.8t's, cougars, and a lone demo E36 318i manual. at that time i was driving a '93 honda civic ex coupe and was torn over whether i wanted another coupe or if i was ready to step up to something more "practical" as a fresh-out-of-college entrant into the working world. looking back at those choices and others on the market at that time - the CSVT was and is clearly the best choice in my mind. the practicality of 4-doors, the exclusivity of the SVT pedigree, the unique styling, the balanced performance and bang-for-the-buck.....you couldn't beat it. my budget limited me to a strippo, plain-jane passat....the bmw was pushing my budget even as the "runt" of the E36 line and very "ordinary" compared to the E36 M3's i lusted after....the prelude was a close 2nd to the CSVT but just didn't ignite a fire in me....and the cougar would've swayed me over a non-SVT contour but didn't hold a candle to the SVT version.

the CEG factor is crucial to my ongoing desire to get another one - the good-times factor of the CSVT ownership was multiplied several times over by the nature of this community (especially at that time), and probably kept me happy with it longer than i otherwise would have been given the niggling problems i had with it for a while. however, the CEG factor didn't have any bearing on my purchase - i didn't know there was such an animal at that time!

the CSVT is the only car i've owned that i really feel passionate about and wish i still had. the RSX-S that followed was a great performer but a little too boy-racer and impractical....the grand cherokees that i had/have are great for what they are but certainly no fun to drive (except in the mud, which i only rarely have the opportunity to do)...the miata was excellent and i want another one, but i couldn't live with it as a daily driver...and the G35c was gorgeous and fun to drive but sheer misery to own.

so yes, i'd definitely do it again.
Posted By: bohdi Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 06:40 PM
Not a chance.

From a durability standpoint, it's been pretty decent with the exception of the transmission.

This car is flat out NOT friendly to someone with even a small family. Cramped quarters front and back...ONE usable cupholder...LOUSY interior lighting....AWFUL rear seat entry and exit...

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to drive; but to do it all over again, I would trade off some fun for more every day practicality (why the hell can't I have both...?). That is afterall why I bought the car in the first place. I think my old Formula in stock form would have been more practical than this thing.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 07:54 PM
Who buys an SVT as a family car?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 08:31 PM
I bought mine in late 99. Nothing else on the market was remotely close to it's level of performance. Well nothing that wasn't about twice the price.
Also it looks outstanding. I think it looks better today comparatively then it did back then. Unfortunately too many new car designs now are being designed by completely blind idiots. Less then half the new models make it out of the FUGLY stage of brainless copy-cat design. This futuristic retro kick is beyond lame. It has only worked on a handful of new models out of hundreds available.
Posted By: Beachboy_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 10:09 PM
I'd have to say "yes". Although the styling had never quite grown on me, the mechanicals themselves have proven to be extremely troublefree. After almost 200,000 miles, I haven't replaced anything except for the usual wear items. Still have the original rear brake linings, current set of tires have 86,000 miles on them with still 7 mm of tread depth. Front brake pads replaced once. On its third set of spark plugs. Other than fluids and filters, thats IT for repairs. Fortunately, its new enough to have escaped the waterpump and wiring issues.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 10:09 PM
Yes definitely. But I would have been smarter with my mods and spent less $$$.

I do love the car. It's just too cool in so many areas - looks, sound of the engine fantastic handling, smooth riding and comfortable inside. It does so many things well. And I have gotten so many complements on it over the years, even from people who don't normally like Fords or even cars in general. It's an immensely likeable and unique car.

Negatives have been:

- The transmission SUCKS - w/o the trans problems my view of the car would be much more positive.

- In some aspects the car is fragile and poorly designed - parts wear out faster than they should.

- I've spent way more money than I'd like on it - and some of it was unecessary waste. This has taught me how much car I can really afford.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll own my car. I have a potential buyer and the chance to "get out" of this car and into something nicer is tempting. OTOH, keeping it for awhile would help me financially since it's paid off (ironically enough). Either way I'm done pissing away big money into it.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 10:17 PM
I would do it again. I wish I could say that if I knew what I knew now I would have bought an SVT, but I wouldn't have. We were VERY newly married and I took her there looking for an Escort. She talked me up to the Contour. Neither of us was sure if we could make the payments, so a larger payment... Probably not.

There have been things go wrong, but we own it and love it...
Posted By: Silversvts Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/13/06 10:24 PM
I would do the same all over again. In 2000 it was the best looking, best performing car for the money (in my opinion). My wife told me that the way the SVT sounded and accelerated was a part of the attraction to me when we were dating. It currently has a little under 60k miles on it and it hasn't given me too many problems so I can't complain. But i'll probably sell it soon to get something else (05-06 Subaru Legacy GT 5 speed).
The csvt came out when i was in highschool, it was the car i wanted badly...of course i did not have the funds, my buddies use to give me so much crap about wanting a contour...but i bought it a year ago at the age of 22 and they all were happy for me...took me 5 years, haha, so i would definately buy it again, just wish i could have had it when the miles were in double digits
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 12:16 AM
Yes, EVEN THOUGH the previous owner mistreated her badly (list of stuff in Oasis query in GENERAL forum a few weeks ago) and the dealer I bought it from didn't know or pretended not to know the car's past. Given all the car had been through, I'm fairly amazed that it's been as reliable as it's been. I also like the fact that, at least the SVT version, is fairly rare. I mean, really there were no domestic 6 cylinder small sedans with a manual transmission during the time frame I was looking except the Contiques. I didn't even consider imports except the Mondeo so I got the next best thing.
Karl
Posted By: zetec herman Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 02:46 AM
I'm still amazed at mine. I can't believe my odometer reads 96K and the engine purs like it's brand new. It's so quiet for a 4 banger.
Posted By: Stevers Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 04:02 AM
I voted probably, though I would have gone about the whole thing differently. This car was really the worst financial move I've EVER made.

I bought it used in 2000 for 11k (incl. paperwork). I didn't know a 17.9% interest rate was bad, so I picked it up. Being 19 and having no credit other than a gas card, i felt lucky. After finally paying it off last october, it ended up costing me just over 18k. Now I'd be lucky if it's worth a tenth of that.

But it's been a good car. Nothing to big that I've had to repair, just a ton of little crap. It hasn't been in a state of not needing *something* since very shortly after I bought it. Now it has all kinds of little things wrong that I really don't care about.

Since it has no real selling value, and I took it in the cinnamon ring on interest... the thing will never be sold. I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, unless something BIG decides to bite it.

At today's value, I'd probably buy another one if I could find something with 50k or less on the clock. I won't buy anything else that depreciates so fast ever again.
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 04:55 AM
Of course I'd buy a Contique again if I had the decision to, heck I wouldn't mind having a rough 95 Contour as a winter ride while the Mystique sits nice and warm in storage.
I love my car to death it's my pride and joy.....well next to my girlfriend that is.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 05:59 AM
*Probably

A long time owner here as I bought my car new and have had it for 73 months!

68,000 trouble free miles as a daily driver. No major issues with the CSVT aside from dash warp and broken shift tower and both were fixed under warranty.

I spent $20,015 on the car and look back on the offerings of when I purchased and I came up with probably. Not many sport-sedans in the price range of $20K when I bought mine.

One things for sure, I should have kept the stock exhaust!

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 07:15 AM
I will elaborate:

I would have purchased a ZETEC....this time with a MTX
Turbo instead of a Supercharger
2 sets of rims instead of the 8 I had gone through.
SVT body kit
1 custom exhaust instead of the 10 I had.

All the money I spent changing stuff I could have built one hell of a car initally. But it was one hell of a ride...wouldn't trade the experience, people, places for the world!!!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/14/06 04:05 PM
bang-for-the-buck, It was and it is still the best,
Posted By: MazTour Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/15/06 11:22 PM
Nope. After 3,I'm on my last one. I find the Zetec imo to be more friendly to live with on a long term basis rather than the Duratec. Duratec requires too much maintenance,has too many problems and is too hard to work on. I hate my Duratec car. I love how it drives,but it's always broken,something always needs to be fixed and it's a pain to do it all. Both my Zetec cars were/are trouble free for me. They're easy as hell to work on when they do break,and they're cheap to run. They get bad fuel milage with an automatic,but get good mileage with a manual,as does the Duratec.

I like the Contiques,and I would gladly have one as a project car/weekend toy or second car,but not a daily driver anymore. My car has spent so much time in the shop,I've spent all sorts ofmoney on it to keep it going,and the car is just getting junked in a couple months after I trade it in,so really,I am just throwing my money away on this car.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/15/06 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bohdi:
Not a chance.

From a durability standpoint, it's been pretty decent with the exception of the transmission.

This car is flat out NOT friendly to someone with even a small family. Cramped quarters front and back...ONE usable cupholder...LOUSY interior lighting....AWFUL rear seat entry and exit...

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to drive; but to do it all over again, I would trade off some fun for more every day practicality (why the hell can't I have both...?). That is afterall why I bought the car in the first place. I think my old Formula in stock form would have been more practical than this thing.

yeah,my backseat passengers always complain about the lack of legroom and how hard it is to get in and out. the lack of GOOD cupholders also turns me off. I needmy daily coffee before work,and I have to use one of the cardboard cup holder trays they give you at the drive thru as my cupholder. I've had the same one for over 4 months! I just throw it on my passenger seat and stick my coffee in it. The interior lighting is ok...in the front. Not having the rear dome light in my '95 sucks,because I had the rear dome in my '98 and that was really useful. I like the lighted door handles in the 95s though,that is just trick! The trunk is a good size,but having the 60/40 split is a must. I have a fullback in my 95 and I always have the need to fold it down like I did in my Mystique,but I can't.

Fun car to drive,crappy car to own and live with. Like I said in my last post,project car only.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/16/06 12:14 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:
based solely on the car itself I would still buy one now.

I do know I wouldn't have done as much as I have done to the car if it wasn't for the forums

CEG and these GB's, I have spent way too much but I'm still doin it. And from the first drive of the 97 Zetec stick where I scared the salesman to the triple digit return drive from Sam's Club today, yes, yes, yes! I love my SVT and right now I can't imagine not having it.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/16/06 03:20 AM
When I bought my Mystique from my aunt and uncle,I had always liked the car,but it wasn't exactly the coolest car to have when you're 18. The ATX on the Zetec drove me nuts,because I could just feel that motor wanted to let go and live a little. If that thing had an MTX it would have been a joy. I modified the car a bit,full stereo system,leather swap,custom head and tail lights,oem spoiler,underglow,tint,and such,and then got bored with it and hated the terrible gas milage and traded up to the Duratec.

I bought that car with the intent from day 1 for it to be a project and I was going to finish it. Repair after repair after repair hampered my modding fund,but I still scraped together some cash to get the mods rolling. Now,I've given up on the car,it's not worth it anymore. I was going to store the car for the winter and begin a teardown and rebuild,and after pricing everything out,it came to the cost of a new car,so I decided to go the new car route.

I bought a Zetec in November which was supposed to be my winter beater while the Duratec went in storage,but after driving the Zetec for a week,the thing was more fun than my Duratec and I realized it had lots of potential and I could use all the Focus parts on it,so I put the car away ready to tear into it in the spring. I started saving money for the build,and now that money is going towards a down payment on my new car and I'm going to fix up the Zetec and sell it. It's a shame,I'd like to keep it as a project,but I just don't have the time,money or space unfortunately. It was going to be a supercharged little beast with a full SVT kit and all sorts of custom stuff. I was going to have no costs spared on it. I was easily going to spend over $20k on it.

Then reality hit me. I'm wasting money,going to lose money,and I can really only afford one car.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/16/06 03:42 AM
I'd buy the one I have now, yes. A 98+, even a SVT, no, and probably no for a '95, having had one and noticing the little first-year quirks (OBD-1, for starters). A '96 or '97 MTX SE, though...that's the one to have.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/16/06 10:11 AM
Well I never really modded my 95 Zetec... It was kinda pointless since the car was high milaged and wasn't well maintained in the past... What I would wanna do in the future when I have money, is take a CSVT, or maybe even a 95 LX/Sport (I kinda like pre98's over post 98s since Pre's seemed to be a bit comfortable compared to Post 98s ive sat in at Junkyards...), good engine or not, go get a 3.0L Duratec, rebuild it top to bottom, make it sporty.
The chances of it happening are slim to none. Most likily I will stick with my Taurus, then buy a Fusion or Fivehundred, considering the Fusion was VERY nice and powerful, and the Five hundred is very luxurious. I think if some CEGers tried a Fusion with the Duratec, they'd agree with me. Feels very similar to the Contour to some extent. Sadly the Contour is kinda dying... Although I loved mine, and maybe if I do get rich I'd try and find a nice pre98, and rebuild it

I kinda wish I bought a Fusion instead of the Taurus, but I already signed the paperwork, and the Taurus was much cheaper

Sadly Taurus is done, and I have one of the last models and I shall care for it
I had said I would'nt have, but the more I think about it the only thing I would've done different is to not get the damn moonroof installed on my SE. To do over again I would sell the SE in stocker form with a 3L and terry trans. Then get myself an SVT and do the 3L with terry trans. I suppose I still could do this anyone interested?!
Posted By: ODC Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/16/06 10:43 PM
Originally posted by blake:
and the G35c was gorgeous and fun to drive but sheer misery to own.

What was wrong with the G35 ?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/17/06 10:33 PM
Knowing me, ill probably wish i didnt drop so much money into the car, but im hoping i can get most of my money's worth by parting it out(the aftermarket stuff)
Posted By: blake_dup1 Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/18/06 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ODC:
Originally posted by blake:
and the G35c was gorgeous and fun to drive but sheer misery to own.

What was wrong with the G35 ?

long story, but the gist of it is that (among other things) the gas tank wouldn't fill, the dealership staff (from sales mgr to service advisors) was made up of inconsiderate, apathetic, careless screw-ups who damaged my car every time it went in for service (which was often, given their incompetence in fixing the aforementioned problem), and infiniti consumer affairs hung me out to dry and wouldn't lift a finger to help resolve my disputes. it also squeaked and rattled incessantly, but that was not a deal-breaker.

i traded it at a loss just to be rid of it - didn't have the time or energy to fight the dealer (was in the midst of wedding plans as well as numerous crises at work), so i just eliminated that particular source of stress.

not all of my problems were inherent to the G35 itself, which is why my comment dealt more with the *ownership* of it. the fact that my particular one seemed to have a few lemon-like qualities certainly didn't help, though.
Posted By: White99SE Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 01/18/06 05:42 PM
I answered yes, but knowing what I know now, I would have gotten an SVT. That's about the only regret I have with the car. It's the most fun car I've had, and it's been the most reliable car I've had, but that's probably because I've taken better care of it than the previous ones.
Posted By: Pepse Re: Poll: If you had to do it again... - 05/07/06 06:04 AM
If I had do do it again I would try to get a Contour or Mystique with an MTX and it wouldn't matter too much on the motor in it. Altho I have learned through this forum that if it is a '95-'97 Duratec then I probably would pass on it. Then too to do it again I would try to look beyond "LOADED", that is my weakness. The Mystique is well loaded, before that I had a '94 Taurus that was fairly loaded. Before that I had a '92 Cougar that was well loaded, had an '87 T-Bird LX that was well loaded, Fairmont ES, loaded, and I think what started me on this trip was back in '77 I had a '69 Continental that was about maxed out for options; boy do I miss that one to this day. Anyway I seem to be a sucker for loaded cars, and in most cases they end up costing me more repair-wise. So, to do it again I probably would look for a base Contour/Mystique. I do like the style, the '95-'97 Contours and Mystiques in particular.

Pepse.
© CEG Archives