Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Is there any way to get more air into the side vents for the defroster? At full blast i get nothing noticeable out of them.
Seriously though, they suck
Mine seem to work fine.
Yeah they suck. They clear up like an inch worth of the window.
When is the last time you replaced your cabin air filter?

If that is saturated or the box wet it will just blow humid air into your car on the "vent" settings. (we lack a true on/off switch for the A/C )
Many stubborn fogging or lack of defogging problems are caused by water in the intake vent areas.
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Yeah they suck. They clear up like an inch worth of the window.

They add fog for me.
my side vents are decent. but could be better.
I'll be removing the filter tonight just to see if it makes a difference. I'll report back then.

Josh
My filter is new and they still blow, errrr, dont blow? They stink, anyway Never have been very good.
I replaced my filter at 70,000 miles (which had obviously never been changed) right after i bought the car and the side vents are still junk. i can't even feel air blowing out of them.
Originally posted by hot3dog3lucky3:
i can't even feel air blowing out of them.

Same here.
The've worked for me. You do have to set the fan on high to get them to be more effective.
With the fan on 4...i feel NOTHING.
Originally posted by Beowulf:
Mine seem to work fine.

I also just replaced my cabin air filter a year ago.
those little vents are meant only to clear the area near the mirrors.

I have discovered that the secret to clear windows is to aim the side vents up and to the outside so that they are covering the driver/passenger windows. This way, the side windows will stay clear when the console vent is selected on fan setting 2.

You can increase the side vent airflow by turning the open/close wheel on the centre console vents.
Originally posted by stickyjazz:
those little vents are meant only to clear the area near the mirrors.

I have discovered that the secret to clear windows is to aim the side vents up and to the outside so that they are covering the driver/passenger windows. This way, the side windows will stay clear when the console vent is selected on fan setting 2.

You can increase the side vent airflow by turning the open/close wheel on the centre console vents.

BINGO...thats what I do..
Update

I ran the car with no cabin air filter and removed the plastic cover so the inlet was completely open to the atmosphere, it made no difference.

I'm going to look into modifying the duct to alow more airflor to the vents and go from there.

Josh
There is a hose going to each side vent, I seem to remember it is a steady flow whether heat or defrost mode. The air will come out of the big holes in the side of the dash.
For what it's worth of all the Fords I've had with the side vent, T-Bird, Cougars, Tempo, Taurus, and of course my Mystique, they all sucked. I will have to see if my wifes' new '05 Taurus is improved or not. I'll be suprised if it is.

Later. Pepse.
Got this from TH

Quote:

.....may have a
bad build issue with some tubes behind the dash not
being connected(a known assy problem for a short while
during production...!)...

© CEG Archives