Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: zetec herman Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 03:37 AM
I'm not sure if my tour has a low fuel light. I've never thought it would be a good idea to run it that low to find out. Mines w/o a tach. I don't see where there would be one. Every other car my families had, had a low fuel lamp.
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 04:33 AM
I don't think Pre 98s have them, but I know the Post 98s have them.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 04:38 AM
Mine turns on when you first start the car... however my check engine light doesn't... so I'm thinking it might be a side effect of swapping clusters.
Posted By: rouar Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Mine turns on when you first start the car... however my check engine light doesn't... so I'm thinking it might be a side effect of swapping clusters.

Mine turned on when you start the car as well. (It's so weird to put my Contour ownership in the past tense..)

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 02:02 PM
only post 98 cars have low fuel lights, the pre 98 got the extra color on the dash and have a red region to signify that the tank is empty

Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 09:31 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
only post 98 cars have low fuel lights, the pre 98 got the extra color on the dash and have a red region to signify that the tank is empty

My SVT has the red area for low fuel and the low fuel light...

Guess you get that with a fairly early model car (built in 1997), or do all SVTs have the red area?

And what's the extra color on the dash the pre-98s got?
Posted By: OoTLink Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 10:42 PM
Another thing not noted about the Pre98s is the meter has the gas pump with an arrow pointing what side of the car the fuel door is on (yep, didn't dawn on me what that picture meant until a week or two ago and we've had the car for YEARS), then again I've never driven it until a month ago.

Well uh, anyway, that fuel pump with arrow is in the light you speak of, so I suppose we don't get it. FWIW the airbag light is inverted (the picture is black and the light is orange) on the pre98s as well.

I've never seen any low fuel light either, and I know we've driven our pre98 mystique pretty low before, so there ya have it OTOH, you have the "NORMAL" thermometer
Posted By: rouar Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 10:53 PM
My low gas light only turned on when the needle was practically touching "E". (Yes, I experimented this on purpose! Wanted to see how many miles I got before I absolutely needed to fill up .. got 338 miles before it turned on.)

Brapple: I wonder why, in your gauges, the gas symbol has a little ">" next to it? It wasn't in mine, although it was in my low gas light.
^^ EDIT never mind .. OoTLink says so, had no idea that's what it's for!
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 11:12 PM
hopefully this will help some, all are stock guages

SVT guages

post 98 V6 guages (from a 99)

pre 98 V6 guages (from a 95)

pre 98 I4 guages (from a early 95, speedo slightly different with trip reset location)

Posted By: elraido Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 11:29 PM
pre 98's no, post 98's yes....I started a thread like this before....so it should be out there somewere
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/19/05 11:44 PM
That SVT set up there is different than mine... it must be an E1 or newer...

I guess I don't have the little red spot on the E for the gas guage (my 96 GL did).

But I've got the "NORMAL" in the temp guage...

AND what is up with the 95s having a larger font for their guages? I noticed that when I drove my friend's 95 GL when I still had my 96 GL...
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Instrument Cluster - 12/20/05 12:56 AM
LOL and all this time I thought the bulb was burnt so it wouldn't light up
© CEG Archives