Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: jtour Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:12 PM
This is a question to all CSVT and non CSVT owners. How do you CSVT/Contiques owners feel when contique owners put an SVT kit on their cars? Do you like to see "Fake SVT's" (for a lack of words) out there. Or do you think it waters down the "reputation" of the CSVT. I say water down because there are SOME not all that do the occasional street race in there cars. And some people may beat a "fake svt" and think that SVT's are slow. We knowing that if it was a real SVT there wouldnt be even a chance of them wining. So how do you people feel about this issue? Or is it the opposite do you guys like to see the SVT kit on contiques? Just thought I would ask.

Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jtour:
And some people may beat a "fake svt" and think that SVT's are slow.

All the better to ask, "so, if SVTs are slow, how about putting down some cash for a drag race?"

Boom, some extra cash in your pocket
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:

All the better to ask, "so, if SVTs are slow, how about putting down some cash for a drag race?"

Boom, some extra cash in your pocket

Mmmm I like that answer!

Posted By: Pole120 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:20 PM
One of my car's isn't an svt but it's faster than one...so should i not be allowed to kit it?
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:22 PM
"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:26 PM
Some people get bent out of shape over Zetecs with SVT bodywork, but I don't really care.

There are a lot of "replicas" out there and as long as they are well done and identified as replicas, car people still respect them. If that's not the intent, then I'd draw the line at badging. Either shave it or leave it stock, but don't add SVT badging to a non-SVT unless you just can't help it (e.g., OEM SVT center caps on the Cossie wheels).

As for getting beat in a drag race, who cares? There's so much posing and posturing and outright lying that goes on in that club that what's the difference if some yahoo makes a bunch of guys think SVTs are slow?
Posted By: getsum111 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:28 PM
I think of all the "cloned" Z-28's and GTO's I've seen at cruises. If the person does it cuz they like the look, cool. If they are doing it to be "dishonest" (selling non-SVT as an SVT) then no-go. I have an SVT, and if someone wants their car to look like mine, I'm flattered.
Scott
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:31 PM
Originally posted by SVTatGT:
"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"

No I have an LX contour. Yes I dream of owning a real CSVT someday. I have had opprotunities to buy the SVT kit but I fight the urge to save the $$$$ to buy a real SVT. Cause I want the performance not just the look.

Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:36 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
Some people get bent out of shape over Zetecs with SVT bodywork, but I don't really care.

There are a lot of "replicas" out there and as long as they are well done and identified as replicas, car people still respect them. If that's not the intent, then I'd draw the line at badging. Either shave it or leave it stock, but don't add SVT badging to a non-SVT unless you just can't help it (e.g., OEM SVT center caps on the Cossie wheels).

As for getting beat in a drag race, who cares? There's so much posing and posturing and outright lying that goes on in that club that what's the difference if some yahoo makes a bunch of guys think SVTs are slow?

Couldn't agree more, there is a guy around here with a Focus ZX3. he put an ugly ass body kit on it, and a BIG pained wing and threw an SVT Focus badge on it... The worst part is that its an ATX That poor focus....
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:41 PM
Kitting is one thing, mis-badging is another...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:48 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:

Hey, i found something me and Rawburt can agree on
Posted By: ElKy Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:48 PM
i suppose as long as it is done well, building a clone isn't a bad thing, as long as you state that its a clone and not the real thing.

Skunk has a rather nice clone, that he will tell you right out is not a real SVT.

My sentiments exactly.

Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
i suppose as long as it is done well, building a clone isn't a bad thing, as long as you state that its a clone and not the real thing.

Skunk has a rather nice clone, that he will tell you right out is not a real SVT.

That is respectalbe!!!

Another interesting statement

Kitting is one thing and misbadging is another.

So true!!!!
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 06:18 PM
i say do whatever you think will make your car looks its best. i think pre98 with svt kit look very nice. i think post 98 w/out the kit look kinda so i say add one if you can.

as for streetracing, winning/losing...there are plenty of cars nowadays that would show up to a streetrace and spank a csvt, even if its somewhat built. the only chance it really has is adding FI, nitrous, or a 3L with some mods. and im talking about real streetracers, not just kids with civics with fartcans and intake. im hoping the 3L im building, with supporting parts, will be able to hold its own out there.
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 06:52 PM

Well, I'll get bent out of shape if the supply of body parts disappears to the point that those of us with real ones won't be able to replace damaged pieces!
Karl
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 06:54 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

My sentiments exactly.

X2

Not that I have an svt badge on my car, but to the average joe, they see the svt bodykit and think its an svt. I could turn what you said around and say that SVT's give me a bad name because they make me look slow. It could go either way.
Posted By: rouar Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 08:15 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:

Certainly a beautiful car he's put together .. except he definitely has an SVT badge on the trunk ...

Overall I agree with kitting but not badging.

Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 08:34 PM
You want to know what I think???.....who gives a crap?
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 08:43 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

Not that I have an svt badge on my car, but to the average joe, they see the svt bodykit and think its an svt. I could turn what you said around and say that SVT's give me a bad name because they make me look slow. It could go either way.

The man does have a point....

I'd have to agree non-svt's that are kitted properly do look a tone better than stock tours!

Here is a shot of my Se:

It has most if not more upgrades that an SVT and has the kit and engine components to pass, yet its still not an SVT nor do I claim it to be.
Posted By: svttour_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 09:10 PM
On the way to school today I saw a t-red contour se with an SVT badge on the trunk. placed there perfectly. I think that car may have gotten injto a wreck or something and the person may ahve found an svt in a junk yard or soemthing becasuse the logo was in the stock location and there was a rather old lady driving the car. It didnt bother me much I actually got excited and thought it may have ben a fellow CEGER to meet up with. After I noticed it wasnt I simply went back to my driving. It doesnt bother me much because people can do whatever they please to their cars this is why most people palce TYPE R stickers on everything but when it comes down to taste... then thats a whole other topic.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 09:51 PM
when i bought my CSVT the svy badge, one of the 24V high output and the SVT plate on the enine was missing... there's probably somebody driving around with a fake SVT...
Posted By: Nkosi Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 10:52 PM
...but the SVT badge= +10whp doesnt it??!?!?!11
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 11:10 PM
Originally posted by SVT3Rivieres:
when i bought my CSVT the svy badge, one of the 24V high output and the SVT plate on the enine was missing... there's probably somebody driving around with a fake SVT...

Hahaha way to funny!

Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 11:33 PM
ill be having the full svt kit on my contour, which when done, will hand most of the SVTs their ass (turbo oval port 3L + spec 3 + spec flywheel + torsen in the works)
Posted By: m!key Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 11:49 PM
i am of the opinion that you do whatever you want to make your contour look better. if you want a kit, the best one to get is a svt kit. dont badge it as an svt though.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 11/30/05 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Mikey Boy:
i am of the opinion that you do whatever you want to make your contour look better. if you want a kit, the best one to get is a svt kit. dont badge it as an svt though.

+1 especially when there is basically no good aftermarket for the contours in terms of bodykits.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 12:12 AM
i have one of the closest svt clones here,list of parts
complete svt engine
complete svt interior(mb)
svt front sway bar
svt EO brakes
svt wheels
svt exhaust
and of course the svt body kit
....to bad my headlights give it away!!!
but the only badges i have from a svtc is the 24vH.O., which are coming off anyways....badging is ugly,period
Posted By: Tourige Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 12:22 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
complete svt engine
svt front sway bar
svt EO brakes
svt wheels
svt exhaust
but the only badges i have from a svtc is the 24vH.O., which are coming off anyways....badging is ugly,period

After that all it would have been cheaper to just buy an SVT.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:
complete svt engine
svt front sway bar
svt EO brakes
svt wheels
svt exhaust

..it would, but why? i did all of that over a matter of a few years..plus,it just feels better to build something rather than buy already the way you like..imho ...and to be honest i only paid $600 for the eninge,brakes,sway bar,interior....nice find i guess
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 12:29 AM
Well since my car was posted I'll give my side...When I started out on my project I always wanted it clear that my car is not an svt but was built with the same spirit has svt. Love for the car and to respect the svt. It is true that I have the svt badge on the trunk but I also have an svt uim, svt grilles, svt wheels, svt kit and wanted to complete the look. When I bring it to shows it is registered and known has a svt clone, I don't brag, [censored] or taint the work i have done by calling it an svt.

I would have loved to have gotten an svt but it didn't work out that way..I have worked the motor(included a dyno tune from worcester dyno)brakes, and other things in the hopes of showing my love and respect for these cars. I have a huge contour and svt contour brochure collection also.

In closing I believe it is wrong if you lie and mislead others. I have seen saleen , roush and shelby clones done rather well and lets not forget the biggest clone of all the cobra.

Posted By: R_G Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 01:41 AM
Kitting - won't do myself but don't see why not
Misbadging - ghey
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 04:54 AM
They can put any parts they want on to any Contour, Mystique, or Cougar. I do not see any issues with that.

The only thing that bugs me is "misbadged" POS's. DO NOT call it an SVT or put SVT badges (or Mondeo, SHO, Type-R, etc badges ) on it. That is utterly lame and lacking in any taste or common sense.

My favorite looking setup is the Mystiques with the SVT kit nicely molded in and an 95-97 SE lid. Those are sweet looking IMO.
My close second favorite is a clear sided SVT (98+ front end) with the 95-97 SE lid.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 06:18 AM
SVT kits = good. Nothing looks better than ANY Contour or Mystique with a full SVT kit. That is how every Contique should look.

I have a GL. I had SVT E1 rims. A tow truck driver saw the wheels and was like "oh wow,you have a Contour SVT?!" and I was like "haha,no,just the wheels. This car is a base model GL with the V6." He was like "ooohhh.....cool." I even had the "Contour GL" emblem on the trunk.

I'll agree with doing whatever looks good,and I agree with misbadging and lying. Don't pump your junk up to be something it's not. Yeah,a Zetec ATX '98 Mystique with an SVT bodykit and FSVT wheels is a real SVT alright....

Actually,I might be in that boat. With my '95 Zetec Tour,I'll probably SVT kit it,but it's getting supercharged,so it'll be pretty quick,but I'm only doing the SVT kit for looks,because IMO,that's what I think looks best on a Contour. I'm not putting any SVT emblems on it,infact I'd prefer to find a "Zetec" emblem or decal or something to place on the trunk under or beside the Contour emblem.

People walking up to the car will be like "hey,pre98 with an SVT kit,what's under the hood? Wow,supercharged Zetec!" Now that's different!
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
complete svt engine
svt front sway bar
svt EO brakes
svt wheels
svt exhaust

..it would, but why? i did all of that over a matter of a few years..plus,it just feels better to build something rather than buy already the way you like..imho ...and to be honest i only paid $600 for the eninge,brakes,sway bar,interior....nice find i guess

Wow killer deal, I have been debating on if I should build my car or if I should buy an svt. The way I look at it for me is to buy an svt. Cause it will cost me about $1000 to get the kit. Another $1000 to get it painted and I still have to do the engine mods. Thats at least a good $3500 dollars that I can put down on a real SVT. But if I come across a killer deal like yours I would have to be crazy to pass it up.
Posted By: Bugzuki Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 02:37 PM
Ok, we all agree that SVT kitting is good as long as you leave the badges off. Especially if you are trying to sell the car. That would be a law suit waiting to happen.

What about this one.

What if someone has a CSVT and blew up the engine, so they put a zetec engine in it?
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Bugzuki:
Ok, we all agree that SVT kitting is good as long as you leave the badges off. Especially if you are trying to sell the car. That would be a law suit waiting to happen.

What about this one.

What if someone has a CSVT and blew up the engine, so they put a zetec engine in it?

Not exactly possible/practicle. There would be way too much work to swap it in. thats why you dont see any Zetecs swapping in the Duratecs. Cheaper to buy another SVT.
Posted By: speedfreak117 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 04:27 PM
And some people may beat a "fake svt" and think that SVT's are slow. We knowing that if it was a real SVT there wouldnt be even a chance of them wining. So how do you people feel about this issue?

How fast do you think a CSVT is? Who was racing that there wounldn't be even a chance of them winning? You do realize there are faster cars than CSVTs right? Before you jump down my throat I love CSVTs, but I know there are a lot faster cars on the street. Is my SE faster than a CSVT? No, but I am sure my 91 GTI is faster than most. There will always be someone faster than you. Oh and street racing is stupid.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 05:48 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

People mistake my car for an SVT, even though it's the wrong year and has none of the SVT body work, and says "Contour SE" on the back.

It's shiny, has aftermarket wheels and two exhaust tips, and sits a bit low. I guess I can understand the confusion.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 05:50 PM
Originally posted by svttour:
On the way to school today I saw a t-red contour se with an SVT badge on the trunk. placed there perfectly. I think that car may have gotten injto a wreck or something and the person may ahve found an svt in a junk yard or soemthing becasuse the logo was in the stock location and there was a rather old lady driving the car. It didnt bother me much I actually got excited and thought it may have ben a fellow CEGER to meet up with. After I noticed it wasnt I simply went back to my driving. It doesnt bother me much because people can do whatever they please to their cars this is why most people palce TYPE R stickers on everything but when it comes down to taste... then thats a whole other topic.

Elizabeth?
Originally posted by speedfreak117:

How fast do you think a CSVT is?

A stock svt is drag limited to 143 mph. Non svt's are governed at 112 mph.
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 08:06 PM
Originally posted by speedfreak117:
And some people may beat a "fake svt" and think that SVT's are slow. We knowing that if it was a real SVT there wouldnt be even a chance of them wining. So how do you people feel about this issue?

How fast do you think a CSVT is? Who was racing that there wounldn't be even a chance of them winning? You do realize there are faster cars than CSVTs right? Before you jump down my throat I love CSVTs, but I know there are a lot faster cars on the street. Is my SE faster than a CSVT? No, but I am sure my 91 GTI is faster than most. There will always be someone faster than you. Oh and street racing is stupid.

Street racing is stupid. The main question was how do people feel when regular contiques kit there cars. I just threw in the racing part to get the topic started.

Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
You want to know what I think???.....who gives a crap?

Exactly
Posted By: Eliteman76 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 09:40 PM
I'll probably get a troutslap for this posting, but I don't think it matters all that much. Unless your dragging someone and you say your car is a svt and get smoked, etc.
Alot of smack talk, it is all show and the guy's so full of bs their eyes turn brown...you get the point. put up or shut up, in my words.
I have a svt front clip on my 1999 SE, because my wife wrecked my car, and it happened to be the color I needed, was in nice shape, and I got it for less money than i was going to pay for a diffent colored one I was going to have to paint.
Now, in the case of when in high school I had my 1988 GLS tempo 5 speed, with a mercury hood, a full custom dual exhaust on the 2.3, hand fabbed headers,lowered 4 inches, modded suspension and a wacked out paint job with custom bumpers, and fenders with "5.0" badges on the fenders, well, I was plain nuts when I did that. But, I still was able to have fun with it and smoke my share of stuff with it, after all who in the heck expected a Tempo?!? LOL
Fun part was, more than once, with the rims/tires I had, people thought I was running a 5.0...
Posted By: rouar Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/01/05 10:36 PM
Originally posted by svttour:

Elizabeth?

She drove a green SVT ...
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 12:17 AM
I really dont care if anyone wants to slap a SVT badge on their tour [or cougar in my case]. because in the grand sceme of things, the difference is rather small.

I see fake snakes [cobras] every day, now thats a BIG performance gap. I dont mind seeing fake badged cars as long as the base and performance models dont differ in displacement or induction.
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 02:08 AM
I sure hope that noone mistakenly gets the impression that I really give a crap whether or not they agree with the choices I decide to make to MY car , that I buy and pay for !
Posted By: R_G Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 02:11 AM

People mistake my car for an SVT

Peope mistake my car for Escort
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 02:19 AM
To me, its all about the badge, period
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 06:32 PM
Originally posted by R_G:

Well, yeah, that too. Or a Taurus.

I get honda all the time....
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 11:08 PM
Originally posted by skrilla187:

I get honda all the time....

Are you serious!!!! WOW! HONDA! I have heard escort and Taurus.....but honda that is great!

Posted By: mmarfan_dup1 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 11:24 PM
My fake SVT was faster then a regular SVT. I made sure it was done right. NO SVT badges were present, EXCEPT for the SVT intake.

Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/02/05 11:58 PM
Its fine by me, but if you rice it

it will be the newbie stick for thee.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/03/05 06:15 AM
It's not a SVT unless it has a badge

I had the official SVT Zetec Contour

Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/03/05 01:14 PM
the only way you should be able to claim that your car is a SVT is if you run the vin and FORD says it's an SVT... Mis-badging is not cool and is lying no matter how you look at it..

Same thing happens in the Cougar community... can a person put the SVT badge on the car if they have the SVT UIM and the SVT TB? NO! some people out there think that simply painting the stock UIM black and adding the plaque gives them the right to add the SVT emblem..

Who has their certificate of authencity proving it is a true SVT? I do! and it makes me damn proud to own one of the few that were produced by the Special Vehicle Team.

SVT's have certain features that identify it is a SVT, please keep those features off your car or don't go all out and claim it to be something it is not.
Posted By: SonofSHO Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/04/05 07:34 AM
I guess an SVT replica does not bother me, they are after all a rare car. I saw a mustang with SVT badge that was a fake, but it was obvious.

What bothers me is ricer Contours. Saw an SE last week with painted head and tail light lenses and VETEC badges!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/04/05 07:48 AM
people who want to put bodykits onto regualar non-svt contours have no other choice then to get the SVT kit..I must agree, at first when I joined I was like wtf who are these SVT wannabe's..but then I realized that the best bodykit out there for our car is the SVT bodykit, its the only one that everyone knows will fit and look hawt..hell if I had an SE or another model, I'd def. put an SVT bodykit on it..no doubt in my mind..
Posted By: jtour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/04/05 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
people who want to put bodykits onto regualar non-svt contours have no other choice then to get the SVT kit..I must agree, at first when I joined I was like wtf who are these SVT wannabe's..but then I realized that the best bodykit out there for our car is the SVT bodykit, its the only one that everyone knows will fit and look hawt..hell if I had an SE or another model, I'd def. put an SVT bodykit on it..no doubt in my mind..

So true. It is the best body kit you can get for our cars.

Posted By: Dj Perico Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/04/05 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

So true. It is the best body kit you can get for our cars.

That is so true.
I personally am happy with the regular se skirts over the full svt kit. Low clearance with the svt kit when pulling into drive ways and such is a concern for me...
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/05/05 04:09 AM
The second you misbadge i'll want to punch ya in the ovaries.
Posted By: martinarcher Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/09/05 12:53 AM
Originally posted by NVMYSVT:
the only way you should be able to claim that your car is a SVT is if you run the vin and FORD says it's an SVT... Mis-badging is not cool and is lying no matter how you look at it..

Same thing happens in the Cougar community... can a person put the SVT badge on the car if they have the SVT UIM and the SVT TB? NO! some people out there think that simply painting the stock UIM black and adding the plaque gives them the right to add the SVT emblem..

Who has their certificate of authencity proving it is a true SVT? I do! and it makes me damn proud to own one of the few that were produced by the Special Vehicle Team.

SVT's have certain features that identify it is a SVT, please keep those features off your car or don't go all out and claim it to be something it is not.

I agree. I do think if I was in the shoes of the SE/GL folks I would be hunting high and low for an SVT kit. It is hands down the best for the Tour'. Having the kit is cool and respectable, on the other hand, like most said already - mis-badging it and trying to put it of as a true SVT isn't cool. I have seen some really nice SVT kitted SE's and GL's on the forum since I have been here. Props to those folks. More props to those who went the extra mile and did the performance mods to go with the kit.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/09/05 03:06 AM
Originally posted by martinarcher:
Originally posted by NVMYSVT:

I agree. I do think if I was in the shoes of the SE/GL folks I would be hunting high and low for an SVT kit. It is hands down the best for the Tour'. Having the kit is cool and respectable, on the other hand, like most said already - mis-badging it and trying to put it of as a true SVT isn't cool. I have seen some really nice SVT kitted SE's and GL's on the forum since I have been here. Props to those folks. More props to those who went the extra mile and did the performance mods to go with the kit.

..thanks i'm one of those guys...i've never heard of anyone trying to pass off a se gl lx as a svt on this site
Posted By: lizard Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/10/05 12:01 AM
personally i dont like svt bodykits because of low ground clearance. if i had one it would be so banged up. u cant take a svt down a dirt road at illegal speeds without screwing ur side skirts and prolly bumpers.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/10/05 12:10 AM
well i don't know about you there, but i avoid dirt roads at all costs. unless i HAVE to take them, which has happened once but the details are disclosed.
Posted By: Matty K Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/10/05 07:26 PM
Uhhh..... disclosed where?

Anyhow, I think I'll sum up what everyone else has said: SVT kit = Fine, SVT Badge = not so much.

For what it's worth, I've gotten accused of putting a fake SVT badge on my Contour...... Which is an SVT (#3780, thanksyou very much!). I guess a lot of people don't know they even made them.
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 12/12/05 12:19 AM
I think the SVT kit is cool, but misbadging with the SVT badge is a no no. Now, if you drop a SVT engine in it, sure why not. Also, if you do put the SVT kit on it, it wouldn't hurt to put something on the car that says it's not a SVT so people don't get the wrong impression. If I ever decide to do it, I'm gonna keep my badges on my trunk maybe add a Zetec and a 2.0 badge or something. But I think I'm going to stick with my SE skirt plain, looks good and simple.
I'm trying to go with the Sport look for the Mystique, but adding SE Skirts. They should have done that to the Mystique LS Sport.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/13/06 05:29 PM
what about a svt kit with only the 24 valve high output badge on it???
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/13/06 06:00 PM
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:
what about a svt kit with only the 24 valve high output badge on it???

I think that is OK. You aren't calling is an SVT.

I hope that is OK, as I have those badges... I don't have an SVT kit. I was looking for some 24V/ DOHC badges to replace my jacked up LX ones, and ran across a High Output set, which someone on this site so kindly gave me.
Posted By: Eliteman76 Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/13/06 06:27 PM
Ah, get yer panties untwisted about this one.
I had the joy of having to fix my 1999 SE V6 with a '98 SVT front clip. I had to swap all the sheet metal, rad support, etc. The thing was the same color, so I did not have to repaint anything. I am happy with how the SE skirts look with the SVT front bumper cover. It's a driver, and it's fast enough for me.

The purists will be angry with me, but after years of dealing with mullets with Cameros and Mustangs doing the exact same thing, I could care less.

On my SE, I used the SVT badges, as I used one fender off the SVT clip, and decided to just stick the other SVT badge on the other fender.

My thing is, I can't get 100% excited about a FWD car, no matter how hopped up it is. I think the SVT contours are killer, and don't disrespect their value, but I'd like to get ahold of a SHO taurus V8 and have some fun if I wasted my Contour bad enough.
Seeing as how that will never happen, I am content in restoring a 34 year old knuckle dragger type of car, my 1972 GTS Gran Torino, and being able to enjoy my 1999 V6 SE as a daily driver.
Posted By: jpshaw Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/16/06 03:14 PM
Doesn't bother me a bit. I've seen fake radiators on air-cooled VWs and everything else. Mine is a Zetec powered Contour though and I don't want it to look like anything else. I already get too many tickets with my 4 banger, the last thing I need is a bigger engine. BTW all V engines are harder to service in front drive cars since it throws the rear bank of cylinders against the firewall.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/16/06 03:22 PM
You could always go to a sign shop and have them make you some custom overlays in the same text style for the badging. How about WSVT for Wannabe SVT?

Oooh...better yet... FSVT. Fake SVT, but people could assume it meant Ford SVT.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/16/06 04:05 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
You could always go to a sign shop and have them make you some custom overlays in the same text style for the badging. How about WSVT for Wannabe SVT?

Or Focus SVT...
Fake SVT, but people could assume it meant Ford SVT.

ahem...since CSVT = Contour SVT...FSVT = Focus SVT. Cmon, Everbody knows that!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Fake SVT....What do you think???? - 03/16/06 04:20 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:

Or Focus SVT...

eh, true.
© CEG Archives