Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: zetec herman newbie - 11/06/05 08:10 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to CEG. I bought a green contour gl in july. I just registered here a few days ago. The car is a 96. ATX, zetec, 95K. Plane Jane, nod mods YET.
I've been researching contours for a while and have a few questions. The first one is did some 4 bangers have a tach? Mine doesn't I've seen posts with 4 cylinders mentioning tachs. Also, do pre-98's have tilt wheel? When I checked my blue book value, tilt was listed as a standard feature. I don't see a lever on the wheel to adjust it.

I will post pics when I can post on cardomain
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: newbie - 11/06/05 08:31 PM
welcome!

as for the tach, im not sure about pre 98 zetecs but post98 did have a few with tach's. do a little searching and IIRC there is ways of swaping guage clusters. the tilt leaver is a black leaver that is at the bottom of the stearing columnb thats tucked flush with the plastic.

hth
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: newbie - 11/06/05 09:12 PM
Yes, some Zetecs had a tach... IIRC all Mystiques have a tach. I think the LX Contour had a tach also (but I can't remember if the V6 was standard on them or not).

And the tilt steering wheel... the 95s had them, then in 96 they dropped it due to some safety thing, then brought it back in 97.

I checked into it b/c I had a non-tilt 96 GL, but a girl I knew had a 95 GL with tilt.

And yes, welcome to CEG.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: newbie - 11/06/05 11:21 PM
Welcome!
Make sure to stop by the NorthEast forum to say hi.
Enjoy your new ride!
Posted By: rouar Re: newbie - 11/06/05 11:59 PM
All Mystiques had a tach, both Zetec and Duratec.

Pre98 Contour GL Sports had a tach with the Zetec.

Those are the only Zetecs I know of with tachs; never seen one stock in a 98+.

All Duratec-equipped Contours have tachs, such as mine.

Welcome to the boards
Posted By: MazTour Re: newbie - 11/07/05 12:05 AM
Welcome aboard! There's all sorts of stuff you can do to the Zetec. It's a wonderful little motor with lots of potential. I've got the best of both worlds however,owning 2 identical Contours,one with a Duratec,the other with a Zetec,both manuals.

I used to have a '98 Mystique Zetec ATX before I got my Contours,and it had a tach,but my Zetec Contour doesn't have a tach.
Posted By: MazTour Re: newbie - 11/07/05 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Kane:
Yes, some Zetecs had a tach... IIRC all Mystiques have a tach. I think the LX Contour had a tach also (but I can't remember if the V6 was standard on them or not).

And the tilt steering wheel... the 95s had them, then in 96 they dropped it due to some safety thing, then brought it back in 97.

I checked into it b/c I had a non-tilt 96 GL, but a girl I knew had a 95 GL with tilt.

And yes, welcome to CEG.

Strange. Both my '95 don't have tilt. I really miss that option. Had it on my Mystique.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: newbie - 11/07/05 12:08 AM
Welcome.
Posted By: jtour Re: newbie - 11/07/05 02:01 AM
Welcome!

Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: newbie - 11/07/05 02:11 AM
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
Strange. Both my '95 don't have tilt. I really miss that option. Had it on my Mystique.

Weird... maybe she had a really early model, but she definitely had one and she knew it wasn't just swapped in b/c they bought the car new.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: newbie - 11/07/05 02:14 AM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
All Mystiques had a tach, both Zetec and Duratec.

Pre98 Contour GL Sports had a tach with the Zetec.

Those are the only Zetecs I know of with tachs; never seen one stock in a 98+.

All Duratec-equipped Contours have tachs, such as mine.

Welcome to the boards

all post-98 duratec Contours, maybe.

My 95 LX ATX duratec had no tach.

Ray
Posted By: rouar Re: newbie - 11/07/05 02:30 AM
Wow .. I've never seen that before!
Posted By: aAandHt Re: newbie - 11/07/05 06:38 AM
95 mystique we got doesn't have a tilt, unless thats something I never found
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: newbie - 11/07/05 08:14 AM
Originally posted by aAandHt:

Maybe it's one of those infamous Mercury-only things? I know I've got a tach, and it makes my SE friend jealous. One tach isn't enough for my moving-needle cravings. I need like five with each rated to a different max RPM. Like one that stops at 5K, 6k, 11K. You know. Because I REALLY NEED a half dozen tachometers...
Posted By: aAandHt Re: newbie - 11/12/05 08:59 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Originally posted by aAandHt:

Maybe it's one of those infamous Mercury-only things? I know I've got a tach, and it makes my SE friend jealous. One tach isn't enough for my moving-needle cravings. I need like five with each rated to a different max RPM. Like one that stops at 5K, 6k, 11K. You know. Because I REALLY NEED a half dozen tachometers...

Said tilt not tach =P
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: newbie - 11/12/05 09:08 PM
I know, the initial sentence in the paragraph was directed toward the tilt, but then the rest is rant.
© CEG Archives