Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: jtour CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:03 PM
Hello guys/gals. I have a question to ask. I have about $5,000 I have saved to buy a used car. I am stuck on what to do. Its between a CSVT or a Mustang GT. I really like both. I pretty much will take any year mustang that is stick and has a v8. Iam having a hard time deciding on what I really want. What would you people do in my situation? What is better for my money to get? Thanks for the help!

JTOUR!

Posted By: kipsvt98 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:11 PM
These are really two different cars so I think it really comes down to what you need. Do you need four doors or two? Do you want a pretty strong 6 with pretty good gas mileage or a pretty weak 8 with alright gas mileage (thinking that your price range would get you a 94-98 GT)? Honestly the performance of the two is probably a lot closer than what you think. The nice thing about the SVT Contour is you don't see a lot of them (depending where you live) while Mustang's are like belly buttons, everyone has one. If you value space and economy I think that the Contour is your pick.

If it were me I would go with CSVT.
Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:17 PM
performance-wise, a GT will go faster than an SVT for the same cost. however, a GT isn't as comfortable or practical as the SVT. it's going to come down to your priorities.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:29 PM
Can I have your headlights if you get a mustang GT?
Posted By: jtour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:31 PM
This car would be my "fun car" a car that I want to keep as long as I can. Reading what you guys have written I might go with the CSVT. Mustangs are nice but I will have to hold on that dream car until I can afford a 06 stang!

Thanks for the tips
Posted By: jtour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:32 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:

Sure, If I get a new car I will send them your way!

Just remind me.

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:33 PM
The Mustang's engine is more reliable than the Tour's IMO. A lot of parts for the stang and replacement parts are cheaper because of it's popularity. I sometimes wish I would have bought a Stang but it's not too much fun in the winter. I didn't want a car everyone else had though and insurance isn't the cheapest for the stang.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:34 PM
Drive both of them and you will know which is right for you.

Personally, I'm not interested in 94-98 mustangs since they're the weakest years, and maybe slower than the CSVT stock.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:35 PM
Originally posted by jtour:

Just remind me.

Check my sig!
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:39 PM
Own a CSVT drove a built 96 GT, got out and said "i'm sellin the tour"

But in all aspects the tour is beter for everyday life.
Posted By: jtour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:51 PM
Originally posted by jtour:

Just remind me.

Check my sig!

Sweet. It may take me awhile to find a car but if I do. I wont forget. Thanks

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 07:53 PM
If its a 'fun' car (i.e. a car you want to upgrade no matter what) I'd go 'Stang....
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 09:35 PM
If you want a practical fun car, go CSVT.

If you just want a "FUN" car that will only be driven occasionally, I'd buy neither.

I've owned a lot of vehicles and for a vehicle that's only driven every now and then, 2 choices spring to mind:

Overall FUN: Jeep CJ or TJ Wrangler. Yeah I know everybody has one (TJ anyway) but nothing beats a Jeep with the top/doors off for pure fun on and off road. Plus you can drive it a few years and then sell it for near what you paid for it if you get a decent deal. I bought my CJ7 in 1988 and it is worth quite a bit more now than what I paid for it. It is the ONLY vehicle I've ever kept over 5 years. I've never even seriously considered selling it.

FUN car: Rx7 Turbo, 2nd or 3rd gen. Drive one. Be prepared to be amazed at how GOOD it feels, provided it's not ragged out. Incredible balance, handling, and braking. Ferocious acceleration when the boost comes on. The rotary engine on boost is a turbine rush. And when it dies (it will) replace it with an LS1 V8 for Viper killing power-to-weight.

Neither of these choices will be very reliable. But they will both be FUN!

Good Luck!
Posted By: rearden Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 09:50 PM
They're both "fun" in different ways. The Mustang feels more like an old muscle car, and has V8 sound & power. It's faster in a straight line. The Contour on the other hand feels more nimble and refined. It's slower in a straight line, but on twisty roads it'll outrun the Mustang and feel better doing it, too.

I passed on a mildly modded '91 5.0 LX in favor of my Contour because to me it felt like an overall much better car.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 10:11 PM
You can probably get a nicer contour than mustang for the money. Plus gas and insurance are probably a bit better with the contour. But it really comes down to if you like turns or straight lines, and how far you plan on modding.
Posted By: jtour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/25/05 10:44 PM
Originally posted by SVTCJ:
If you want a practical fun car, go CSVT.

If you just want a "FUN" car that will only be driven occasionally, I'd buy neither.

I've owned a lot of vehicles and for a vehicle that's only driven every now and then, 2 choices spring to mind:

Overall FUN: Jeep CJ or TJ Wrangler. Yeah I know everybody has one (TJ anyway) but nothing beats a Jeep with the top/doors off for pure fun on and off road. Plus you can drive it a few years and then sell it for near what you paid for it if you get a decent deal. I bought my CJ7 in 1988 and it is worth quite a bit more now than what I paid for it. It is the ONLY vehicle I've ever kept over 5 years. I've never even seriously considered selling it.

FUN car: Rx7 Turbo, 2nd or 3rd gen. Drive one. Be prepared to be amazed at how GOOD it feels, provided it's not ragged out. Incredible balance, handling, and braking. Ferocious acceleration when the boost comes on. The rotary engine on boost is a turbine rush. And when it dies (it will) replace it with an LS1 V8 for Viper killing power-to-weight.

Neither of these choices will be very reliable. But they will both be FUN!

Good Luck!

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee. So I have 4x4 fun already.

Mmmm Im still looking at both but you guys bring up some more good points on both cars

Posted By: MCconnection cc Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 12:26 AM
Originally posted by kipsvt98:
These are really two different cars so I think it really comes down to what you need. Do you need four doors or two? Do you want a pretty strong 6 with pretty good gas mileage or a pretty weak 8 with alright gas mileage (thinking that your price range would get you a 94-98 GT)? Honestly the performance of the two is probably a lot closer than what you think. The nice thing about the SVT Contour is you don't see a lot of them (depending where you live) while Mustang's are like belly buttons, everyone has one. If you value space and economy I think that the Contour is your pick.

If it were me I would go with CSVT.

I agree...
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 12:46 AM
If you're going to get a Mustang GT wait until the prices go down on the 99+. If you've ever drive a '96-98 GT you know that it runs out of steam at about 4000rpm. The torque is great but you can tell that its pretty anemic.

The handling won't be anything to speak of either. Most of these downfalls can be fixed with mods however. At your price range I'd go with the CSVT. Once you get started modding the Mustang it's a whole different story.

I wish I had somebody who could host my video of my uncle's '98 GT with Stage 3 Comp Cams. Sounds awesome!
Posted By: 99VCTContour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 01:08 AM
After owning that Mustang and now owning a Contour (not an SVT, tho) I really, really miss my Mustang. Until it snows. If it snows where you live, go with the CSVT. You (like I almost did) will go crazy in the winter trying to drive a Mustang. Fuel will suck, traction will suck, and the need to still keep it clean sucks. But, this is just my opinion, so no one shoot it down please.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 02:18 AM
I love my CSVT but sometimes I really wish I would have gotten an Sn95 cobra.

I know that once I give the svt a bit more power, Ill be in love all over again (not that ive fallen out of love ) I just love how the csvt has a swagger, there arent alot of them around (compared to mustangs) they are different. and they are relativley quick
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 04:56 AM
Originally posted by akrump47:
Drive both of them and you will know which is right for you.

Personally, I'm not interested in 94-98 mustangs since they're the weakest years, and maybe slower than the CSVT stock.

actually you are wrong for lumping in the 94-95 gt's with the 96-98's...the 94-95's have a 5.0 in them and the 96-98 have the 4.6,and are the weakest years of the stang......and a 94-95 gt will kill a stock csvt in any contest of speed(unless there are alot of sharp curves )stock they will run anywhere from a 14.7 to 15.2 or so depending whether stick or auto and about a 6.0 0-60.....while they may only put out 215 flywheel hp stock,they also make about 285 lb. ft. of torque...

fwiw my '95 gt with MINOR exhaust and intake mods is making 225 rwheel hp,and has run a best of 14.2,and would easily dip into the 13's with sticky tires....also check out stangnet.com,there are guys running deep into the 12's in 94-95's with nothing more than heads,cam,and intakes,even in heavy 'verts...

but to answer your ?,like everyone says it depends on what you want...if you want a toy that is easy and cheap to mod,then you can't go wrong with the stang...but if you want a great handling,fun more practical 4door then the csvt is a great choice,and for the prices they can be had for,they are a steal..
Posted By: FireFox Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 05:22 PM
All of the reasons people are citing for you to look harder at the CSVTs are exactly the same reasons I'm after one come spring. The Mustangs are very common, two people in my neighborhood have one, I believe.
Posted By: J3SVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 05:38 PM
i actually owned one of each at the same time until last week. i sold my 96 mustang gt convertible. very fast! very fun! very UNpractical! had to store it in the winters because of the snow. not the greatest gas mileage at 18-22 with flowmaster exhaust and CAI, but not bad for a V8. and i know everybody's brought this point up once or twice, but everybody has a mustang, granted most of them you see are stock v-6's, but rarely do u see a csvt, (unless your in my town there's 3 of them). insurance, rarity, and gas are all better on the csvt, so it all depends on your priorities. also, it's definitley nice to actually be able to seat more than 2 people in your car!
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 05:50 PM
I think the mustang is a great car for flash and straight line power, but a CSVT has everything else on it. Better insurance, traction, turning, fuel economy, rarity, resale value, doors, space. The only thing is the CSVT isn't exactly easy to find parts for compared to the mustang. my 2 cents...
Posted By: J3SVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
I think the mustang is a great car for flash and straight line power, but a CSVT has everything else on it. Better insurance, traction, turning, fuel economy, rarity, resale value, doors, space. The only thing is the CSVT isn't exactly easy to find parts for compared to the mustang. my 2 cents...

agreed!...and you get to become a member of a great website filled with wonderfully knowledgeable enthusiasts!
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 06:10 PM
Originally posted by louisw:
performance-wise, a GT will go faster than an SVT

I dunno, the stock GT's are quick but not fast. A little modding would be in order for either car. I've smoked many a mustang GT's, including a '99+ or two. They were probably all stock, but I'm yet to lose to one. My girlfriend asked me the other day why I didn't buy a Mustang GT instead of my CSVT, since I'm always commenting about Mustangs. I didn't really have an answer for her, other than rear drive + Indiana winters(where I lived at the time) = Bad Idea. But I'm confident I made the right decision. CSVT with mods is a nice sleeper.
Posted By: Stazi Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 06:21 PM
Better traction, resale value. my 2 cents...

You're on crack!
You're two cents are worth squat!
Posted By: MxRacer Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 06:35 PM
Originally posted by CLASSVT:
I've smoked many a mustang GT's, including a '99+ or two.

smoked? not likely. at least in a stock CSVT vs. a stock mustang gt. we are comparing apples to apples here right?
Posted By: TGO Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 06:54 PM
Originally posted by MX Racer:

smoked? not likely. at least in a stock CSVT vs. a stock mustang gt. we are comparing apples to apples here right?

i disagree as well...the only mustang i've ever raced was a 5.0gt, manual...and we were even until 80 or so. We started from a roll and didn't really get to see who would have won for sure.

I fyou're talking about one of the 280hp gt's though, you got beat. fo sho.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 07:19 PM

Actually if he's up against a craptastic driver it's very likely.

This CSVT beat this GT at the track by 1/10th

http://svt.sho.tripod.com/pix/svt_vs_gt.jpg

Win is a win.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 07:23 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Actually if he's up against a craptastic driver it's very likely.

against a '99+ gt? no it's not. unless the car was an auto with a fouled plug.

also... note the use of the term "smoked". a 1/10th of a second win does not "smoked" make.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 07:26 PM
Aah forgot about the 99 jump in power. You are correct. Even an auto would win.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 07:43 PM
He's got a 3L, which is what he bases his posts off of. I've taken down my fair share of 99+ GT's, and I've even "smoked" an 01+ GT on the top end(100mph+) We have similar setups, so I can justify his answer. Not to say it didn't happen on the track, but anything can happen on the street.

Mark
Posted By: MxRacer Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
He's got a 3L, which is what he bases his posts off of. Mark

yeah, i know... that why i said the apples to apples comment... the thread starter is looking to compare two vehicles that he might buy... not ask about modified cars that members own.
Posted By: jtour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/26/05 09:02 PM
Thanks for the comments. How about mileage? I see CSVT with 80,000 plus miles. I just wonder once it gets more miles will it be worth fixing and will it be hard to find parts? As for the mustang you can find parts anywhere. Im looking long term here.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:07 PM
Its really going to come down to what you like as a "toy" car.

My CSVT is my daily driver, and I like it that way. My 94 Cobra is my "toy car" doesn't get driven much, usually because I'm messing with something or other on it for fun.

My 94 Cobra is over a second quicker in the 1/4 mile, stock vs. stock w/ the contour, and that's w/ me driving the Cobra like a grandma. The Cobra is also much quicker around anything bigger than an autoX course, even in stock form. And with the Mustang, there is a lot of easy stuff to do to tighten up the handling significantly also.

And pay no attention to the idiots that say RWD is impossible in the winter. It is certainly doable with the right tires, and a little self control. No matter what you are driving, you shouldn't be using summer performance tires in the winter. Get proper winter tires if you are somewhere that gets more than a tiny bit of snow; it will make driving easier, and even more fun. This goes for any kind of car, even FWD. RWD is no more difficult in the snow, just different, and requires a little practice is all.

I've said all that to say this; drive both, and pick what you like best. Both are good choices, depending on your personal preferences.

Now, from a practical standpoint, if you get a Mustang, go for a 94-95 GT or Cobra, you will get a better starting platform for less money, and modifications will be cheaper and easier for more power than for later cars within your budget. If you go for the CSVT, your budget likely limits you to a 98, 98.5 if you are looking for a nice car, though deals can be had for any year. And there are no major differences between any of the CSVT's that should be show-stoppers for any given year.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Rara:

Now, from a practical standpoint, if you get a Mustang, go for a 94-95 GT or Cobra, you will get a better starting platform for less money, and modifications will be cheaper and easier for more power than for later cars within your budget.

if i end up going the two-car route, thats what i plan to do. you can't beat the 302 for parts availability/affordability, and they are still cheap as hell. what kills me is the price of 91-93 fox bodies... especially notchbacks. i've been looking for one since i missed mine so much, but they are getting nearly exactly what i paid for mine 13 years ago ($9K).
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:16 PM
Get a Mustang, cheaper and generaly easier to fix, cheaper go fast parts, more reliable, can be tuned for road or drag racing. Wait why did I get rid of my '89 & '95 gt .

Though if driving in the winter, tires help a ton, and its not impossible to do, but I don't recomend it with a Mustang.

For $5k a nice fox body you can buy, anything later your taking your chances with the price IMO.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:24 PM
they are getting nearly exactly what i paid for mine 13 years ago ($9K).

Where are you looking? I can find LXs all day long for $4000-$6000.

Mark
Posted By: MxRacer Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
they are getting nearly exactly what i paid for mine 13 years ago ($9K).

Where are you looking? I can find LXs all day long for $4000-$6000.

Mark

locally. and i'm mostly referring to notchbacks. i think people think they are a collectors item.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:33 PM
He is right nice Notchbacks are a bit pricey, you can find LX hatcbacks all day in the $4-6 range. I just passed up on one with mint interior and just a few dings for $4k, slightly modded.

Its funny how the Fox bodies have leveled in price and are not going to go any were but up once more of the nicer ones are harder to find. I think its also funny with most Fox bodies being 20+ years old, you still never find one that has more than 130k miles in it, or so it says . I will probaly pick up a Notch myself in the next year or two.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 02:56 PM
All I have to say is damn I wish I had enough money to buy a second car to play with.

This might help you.

The big questions you need to ask yourself:
1. You really better not have any debt you can pay off first. lol Don't blow money if you're in the hole already.
2. How finacially secure are you? It never hurts to have extra cash. You never know when you'll need it. Also the stang will eat alot more gas then the tour.
3. How much money do you have for parts to add onto the car? Stang performance parts are cheaper, and easier to find. Contour is the oppisite.
okay no more money questions...
4. What is the main purpose of the car? Is it a backup vehicle or a play toy?
5. How bad are winters where you are. Mustang + snow = bad, Contour + snow = better chance then stang. This plays more if it is a backup car.
6. What do you like more in driving, Drag racing and high speeds, or taking tight turns with speeds that almost pop your ass out of the seat? (not saying you can't do it in a stang, but tour does it a little nicer i would think)
7. ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE STANGS, not as many mod contours. So if you going for a more unique play toy, the tour is a little more of a shock to people. (how many people can say they have a 3L convert turbo charged tours? a handful)

Hopefully that will help you decide.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 04:44 PM
Wish I knew you were interested about 6 months ago. My buddy sold his 92 LX coupe(notch) for $8500.00. Black, 85k miles, heads, cam, Vortech blower, 400rwhp, tuned by Paul's Performance in Cincinnati, 17x9 chrome Cobra R's. That thing was a monster! It could have used some sort of drag suspension, as it had ZERO traction in first and second gear. Third gear though, BYE BYE!

Mark
Posted By: getsum111 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 05:04 PM
WHat's up. My roomate has a 95 GT conv, last of the 5.0's. I've got a 99 CSVT. Love driving both of them, but I prefer the Tour. The Mustang's wider tires make her a little darty on PA roads. My roomate can drive her car better than I can, prob. since she is used to how it handles. She is afraid to rev mine to redline, not being used to 4V per cylinder. Definately different rides, and moters. Mustang's torque still makes me giggle, but I prefer the Contour SVT for it's room, ride, and rarity. Just my .02
Scott
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/27/05 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Better traction, resale value. my 2 cents...

You're on crack!
You're two cents are worth squat!

How am I on crack? GTs depreciate so quickly here in Texas it isn't even funny. you can pick up a 98' GT for like 5K, whereas an average SVT(much rarer around here) will go for like 7K. It all depends on supply and demand. And as for traction, you just try taking a GT on a dirt road or Ice and see what happens when you gun it through a corner. A contour is just more stable, simply because it's FWD. The older GT and V6 mustangs aren't exactly known for their handling prowess, unlike the Cobra. Now in a straight line on tarmac, the GT will get better traction, duh. Please don't get me involved in ANOTHER flame war just because you don't like my opinion and view of the situation relative to my location. I'm not saying that what is true where I live holds solid everywhere else. Just here.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/28/05 06:23 PM
well i am pretty sure when stazi was referring to "traction" i'm pretty sure he meant it in general,not on a dirt road in texas ....and you are on crack if you think that any fwd car has better traction than a rwd car,and that's a simple fact....and a comparable year mustang will have better traction "in general" than a contour....while yes maybe the fwd is better on ice...but your dirt road example is ridiculous,actually the rwd would probably be easier to get back in control of if it did start sliding on a dirt road..

and as far as resale value goes,have you seen some of the prices svt's are going for these days????there is one in the paper at a dealer here a 98 with the dealer asking price of $4800,a comparable 98 gt lists for $7800....now compare a 99 or 00 gt to a 99 or 00 svt and the mustang will still be priced considerably higher in most cases...
Posted By: elraido Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/28/05 06:30 PM
It all depends on where you find the car. Someplaces have good prices on car, other don't. I can go threw autotrader and find dealers asking waaaaay to much for a CSVT and another dealer is going to be going dirt cheap on a mustang GT. It depends on where you live, the actual car itself, and the dealer.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/28/05 07:39 PM
Originally posted by elraido:
It all depends on where you find the car. Someplaces have good prices on car, other don't. I can go threw autotrader and find dealers asking waaaaay to much for a CSVT and another dealer is going to be going dirt cheap on a mustang GT. It depends on where you live, the actual car itself, and the dealer.

That's what I said, and say over and over and over again.

And Chris, I don't understand your logic. Why would a somewhat-powerful RWD car do better in the dirt than a modestly underpowered FWD car? In a RWD car, if you start sliding in the dirt, the LAST thing you want to do is have the rear end lose traction. In a FWD car, you can e-brake through the corner, then use your front wheels to pull you back in the direction you want to go. You CAN'T do that in a Mustang GT. On the stang, once the rear end has lost it(ala drifting) on loose dirt and gravel, you are as good as crashed. That is the reason why you don't see RWD only rally cars anymore. Try driving FAST down a gravel and dirt road in a GT and a Contour and THEN tell me which is better. As for pavement. YES (as I've said before) the GT has better traction. It's a sporty coupe, of course it's going to be made to stick better on pavement. That is where a Mustang belongs anyway...
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/28/05 08:30 PM
Will people STOP saying that FWD is better than RWD in low traction situations? Such as ice, snow, and gravel.

IT IS NOT BETTER, IT IS JUST DIFFERENT. FWD is more intuitive for people that don't understand the way cars work, because you can just steer where you want to go; this is why people that are ill-informed and ignorant think they are "better". RWD just requires a bit more practice and thought to drive in low traction situations.

and MadMerc, the reason you don't see RWD cars in the top of rally anymore is because AWD is legal, duh. In the lower classes of rallying, rwd cars are very common, including mustangs.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: CSVT or Mustang GT?? Help! - 10/28/05 08:49 PM
okay. I know that RWD vehicles are really good for maneuvering and stuff. But you discount FWD too much. It isn't that bad if you know how to take advantage of your drivetrain configuration. What class of rallying does the GT compete in anyway?
© CEG Archives