Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mcfast Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 03:08 AM
I was thinking, of saleing the Contour, so I checked out a
2001 Mustang SVT and it was fast! I like.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 03:16 AM
Originally posted by mcfast:

RWD and lots of low end tq is always nice.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 03:22 AM

Wow...

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 03:32 AM
going from a Contour SVT to a Cobra is going to seem 'fast.' In reality anything that runs low 14s - mid 13s today isn't really 'fast'... just my .02
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 03:41 AM
its not just a question of number, its a question of overall feeling and much more fun
Posted By: mcfast Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 04:00 AM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
going from a Contour SVT to a Cobra is going to seem 'fast.' In reality anything that runs low 14s - mid 13s today isn't really 'fast'... just my .02

What other car for 15000$ could run low 14s mid 13s (with on mods)
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 04:01 AM

srt4.... and probably a handful of other cars that I can't think of.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 04:02 AM
I'd never,ever trade my Contour for a Mustang...

...unless it's a Saleen.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 04:48 AM
I was thinking, of saleing the Contour,

i tried to sale the contour once

need a convertible
Posted By: mcfast Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

srt4.... and probably a handful of other cars that I can't think of.

I do not want a 4cyl or 6cyl fwd car, any more, even if it is fast, I want a lest a V6 or a V8 rwd car, fast at a good price, so the Mustang SVT 99 and 01 sounds good to me.
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/02/05 08:30 PM
If you are looking at a '99, make sure that the recall has been performed (this was a MAJOR black eye for SVT)

If you want to go fast for cheap, look into an LS1 F-body (Camaro or Firebird).

It will eat the lunch of the Cobra plus it can be had with the beefy T-56 6 speed manual, the same trans in the Dodge Viper.

If you want to spend a little more, say 20k, you can get an LS1 or LS6 in a GTO with the same 6 speed.

All the above cars are very fast with some F-bodies running high 12's with VERY minimal mods.

The only drawback is that the car surrounding the wonderful LS1 is a POS.

No fewer than 5 times I have decided that I am going to get an Fbody due to the performance. Every single time I walked away thinking what a terrible car. How can one vehicle have so many flaws in ergonomics and execution? HUGE outside yet cramped inside and more squeaks and rattles than a Day Care center.

I'd still take it over a Neon SRT4 though.

Good Luck!
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 12:54 AM
but you need to consider also that 15 000$ Canadian is about 12 000$ US
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 01:03 AM
Didn't notice the Quebec address

Although, a co-worker recently sold his 2000 model WS6 T/A for $12000, so it is still in the price ballpark.

His car was fast, but it had all the same drawbacks.

Love how GM decided to store the spare tire in the front passenger floorboard
Posted By: mcfast Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 03:12 AM
Originally posted by SVTCJ:
If you are looking at a '99, make sure that the recall has been performed (this was a MAJOR black eye for SVT)

If you want to go fast for cheap, look into an LS1 F-body (Camaro or Firebird).

It will eat the lunch of the Cobra plus it can be had with the beefy T-56 6 speed manual, the same trans in the Dodge Viper.

If you want to spend a little more, say 20k, you can get an LS1 or LS6 in a GTO with the same 6 speed.

All the above cars are very fast with some F-bodies running high 12's with VERY minimal mods.

The only drawback is that the car surrounding the wonderful LS1 is a POS.

No fewer than 5 times I have decided that I am going to get an Fbody due to the performance. Every single time I walked away thinking what a terrible car. How can one vehicle have so many flaws in ergonomics and execution? HUGE outside yet cramped inside and more squeaks and rattles than a Day Care center.

I'd still take it over a Neon SRT4 though.

Good Luck!

I do konw about the recall for the 99 SVT. What I like about the 99 and 01 SVT is the rear suspension, and the 51% front to 49% rear wt , so the handling shoud be pretty good, I am not crasy about F-bodies GMs, I know thay are pretty fast, but not for me.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 03:23 AM
An extra 100 HP, 1 second less, and 10 mph more is definitely noticable.

Then there is that whole NOT driving the wrong wheels part!
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 03:36 AM
Lessee, for $12K you could get a fully restored 60's Nova SS and smoke the crap outta most of the road. I also like the F-Body Idea. The F-bodies always outclassed Mustangs. Another idea would be an older Corvette. you can usually get older C5s for around that price, or if you are lucky, a nice ZR-1 C4. I recently saw a '90 model for $11k. I personally would take a vette or a bird over a stang anyday. Oh and I don't know what you are talking about with the F-bodies. The ergonomics in them are not a problem with me, and I've worked on and rode in many. I regularly drive with my friend in his '92 Firebird drop top, and I have no problems whatsoever. Even head room and legroom with the top up aren't an issue, and I'm '6"3! Try out the interior yourself before drawing your conclusions.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 05:03 AM
I will never have a daily driver that gets less than 25 mpg. A cobra would be an awesome car to have, but only on the weekends,
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Lessee, for $12K you could get a fully restored 60's Nova SS and smoke the crap outta most of the road. I also like the F-Body Idea. The F-bodies always outclassed Mustangs. Another idea would be an older Corvette. you can usually get older C5s for around that price, or if you are lucky, a nice ZR-1 C4. I recently saw a '90 model for $11k. I personally would take a vette or a bird over a stang anyday. Oh and I don't know what you are talking about with the F-bodies. The ergonomics in them are not a problem with me, and I've worked on and rode in many. I regularly drive with my friend in his '92 Firebird drop top, and I have no problems whatsoever. Even head room and legroom with the top up aren't an issue, and I'm '6"3! Try out the interior yourself before drawing your conclusions.

Somebody give this guy a cluepon!! C5's going for $12-15k? ZR-1 Vette's aren't going for that cheap without a million miles. Comparing a 92 firebird convertable to an LS1 camaro/firebird? And by SVTCJ's response, it looks to me like he HAS driven quite a few of them to draw the conclusion about the ergonomics of the car. I'll agree, they aren't comfy at all inside. I'm 6'1" and I can't find a comfortable position for my legs in them.

Mark
Posted By: csvt99 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 03:47 PM
Yeah, the only way you are going to find a C5 for less than 15,000 US is if it beat to crap, wrecked, or you know the person, etc. My dad bought one for a guy (1999, 20k miles)and I personally hated the car, but it could just be a preference thing. I hated how the car sat and I how I sat in it, I couldn't see and didn't feel in control. Also, the front end seemed very unstable at high speeds, much less than my contour Sounded like crap too, AND it had borla exhaust on it. Eh, maybe I just don't like GM
Posted By: KC5MD'sSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 03:48 PM
Lessee, for $12K you could get a fully restored 60's Nova SS and smoke the crap outta most of the road.

Chevy's were never all that fast to begin with.
It was pretty damn rare that there was one around that could take a Ford.

The Ford 390's were so bad that most Chevy owners wouldn't even try.

427 for 427 Ford vs Chevy was no competition either.
Fords were consistantly faster off the line, top end, RPM's, Horsepower, Torque you name it.

You'd be laughed at if you showed up with an SS Nova.
It wans't even a very attractive car either.

There were a few Camaros that had some zip..like the original Z28 was a nice car but still wasn't any competition for the Boss 302.

Then you had the 440's and 426's from Chrysler.
Holy crap...talk about Raw Power right out of the box.

Unfortunately they were draging around Great Big Boxy 4,000 pound vehicles until the end of the era with the Cuda's and Challengers...they were something to behold.

A 440 6 pack 'Cuda or a Hemi Challenger...Oh My God were they Factory Speed Demons...Just Amazing...
Most of the old Real Musclecars can't be bought for under $50,000.00 nowadays unless they need total rebuilds.

Posted By: csvt99 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 03:53 PM
Quote:

There were a few Camaros that had some zip..like the original Z28 was a nice car but still wasn't any competition for the Boss 302.

Because of this, GM did respond with their own 302 camaro that would pretty much run with the Boss.
Posted By: jtour Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 04:25 PM
Funny how people want to upgrade and go faster and faster. We have a CSVT owner wanting to a Mustang SVT. And Im here with a regular Contour wanting to upgrade to an CSVT. Life you gotta love it!

Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 04:36 PM
fwiw a stock ls1 is NOT faster than an 01 cobra stock for stock it is purely a drivers race....my cousin had an '01 cobra a couple years ago(he now has an '04)and it consistantly ran 13.5's to 13.7's which is right on par with a stock ls1...it is pretty much a drivers race...let's not even get into his '04 which has run a best of 12.8 with only a k&n drop in and flowmasters on it...

the ls1 camaro's while yes they do have a great engine,besides that there is hardly anything so great about it...the looks are purely redneck nascar mullet styling...the interiors are complete garbage...the seats sit so low it feels like your dragging the ground,not to mention the large hump in the pass. floorboard....not that the stang has a huge trunk,but try putting ANYTHING in an f body trunk....honestly i see no comparison at all,and i guess neither does anyone else in america,since the camaro is no longer made and the mustang is still going strong...

though gm is known for putting great engines in subpar cars...and the ls1 camaro's are a shining example....a great motor will only get you so far....
Posted By: KC5MD'sSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 05:31 PM
Originally posted by csvt99:
Quote:

Because of this, GM did respond with their own 302 camaro that would pretty much run with the Boss.

This was the original Camaro Z28.

GM tried real hard to copy Ford's tried and true 5 litre powerplant but dropped it just as quickly because it wasn't as fast as the Ford 302.

Ford Started in the early 60's with the 260 ci v8
which was their answer to the Chevy 283.
The 1964 1/2 Mustang had a 260 V8.

Then they introduced the 289 in 1965 and it beat the 283 Chevy's with ease.There was even a 289 Hi-Performance with 271 Horsepower.Put into a 2500lb Mustang, it was FAST.

In 1969 it was upgraded to the 302 with a High performance version the Boss 302.Also the Shelby's were a force to reckon with thanks to Carroll Shelby who just completed his part with the New Ford GT...only $150,000.00 per copy

Ford just always had an edge over Chevy and GM in general.
Chevy made some pretty cars that ran prety good but never was any competition for the Fords.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:22 PM
Ok guys, you guys seriously should get a grip. Down here in Texas, things must be cheaper or something. I'm not lying to you. Second, ya'll must not realize I said EARLY C5 like as in 96 models. Plus, a Cobra just isn't a big force down here. And I can't believe you guys think a 13-second 396 Nova is slow and ugly. There must be something wrong with you. Oh, and a Camaro SS/TA WS6 will ALWAYS outrun a Stock Cobra. It has 6 gears. Now for a fast Ford, I would suggest buying a 70-s Mustang, but for 12-grand, all you are likely to get is a decrepit 6-cylinder.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:35 PM
Ok guys, you guys seriously should get a grip. Down here in Texas, things must be cheaper or something. I'm not lying to you. Second, ya'll must not realize I said EARLY C5 like as in 96 models. Plus, a Cobra just isn't a big force down here. And I can't believe you guys think a 13-second 396 Nova is slow and ugly. There must be something wrong with you. Oh, and a Camaro SS/TA WS6 will ALWAYS outrun a Stock Cobra. It has 6 gears. Now for a fast Ford, I would suggest buying a 70-s Mustang, but for 12-grand, all you are likely to get is a decrepit 6-cylinder.

C5 Vette = 97-04 GET A CLUE!

A 13 second Nova can still be ugly, 1/4 mile times don't make a car look good. And a 13 second 1/4 mile isn't fast.

A 6-speed WS6/SS will outrun the Cobra because it has one more gear? You're joking right? Well in that case I'm picking up a Focus SVT or Toyota Celica with the 6 speed because they must be fast!!

You sir are showing just how ignorant you really are.

Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:38 PM
Ain't that the truth. A few years back 13s were 'fast,' but in today's world, that's just 'pretty quick' IMO.

And the 03/04 Cobra's have 6spds so, they must be pretty fast too...oh wait, they are faster than the LS1s (F-Body).

Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
And a 13 second 1/4 mile isn't fast.

A 6-speed WS6/SS will outrun the Cobra because it has one more gear? You're joking right?

Mark

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:39 PM

C5 Vette = 97-04 GET A CLUE!

A 13 second Nova can still be ugly, 1/4 mile times don't make a car look good. And a 13 second 1/4 mile isn't fast.

A 6-speed WS6/SS will outrun the Cobra because it has one more gear? You're joking right? Well in that case I'm picking up a Focus SVT or Toyota Celica with the 6 speed because they must be fast!!

You sir are showing just how ignorant you really are.

Mark

There is no way in hell MadMerc is not on drugs.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:39 PM
Hey buddy, sorry about that, I could have swore the build date on 97s was 96. I'm not ignorant pal. And if you really have to know, the Cobra handles like utter hell. Any of them. Take your pick. Udersteer at high speeds is the name of the Cobras game. If quarter mile times don't make a car great than the Cobra isn't good for anything.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:44 PM
Hey buddy, sorry about that, I could have swore the build date on 97s was 96. I'm not ignorant pal. And if you really have to know, the Cobra handles like utter hell. Any of them. Take your pick. Udersteer at high speeds is the name of the Cobras game. If quarter mile times don't make a car great than the Cobra isn't good for anything.

A Cobra handles MUCH better than the plastic rattle box of a "sports car" WS6. The steering was always crap, hard to turn, and the interior size was rediculous. Not to mention is weight. IMHO, an 02-04 Cobra is better built than a WS6 or corvette.

I wonder why I alsways see mustangs autocrossing... but have NEVEr seen a WS6 before. Hmmm...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:47 PM
No Cobra in 02.....
Originally posted by STRYPED BS:
02-04 Cobra

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:49 PM
No Cobra in 02.....
02-04 Cobra

03-05
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:54 PM
No Cobra in 02.....
02-04 Cobra

03-05

No Cobra in 05 This isn't your day is it Chad? lol.

Mark
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:56 PM
Never been to an autocross, so won't pretend, but seriously I almost never see guys running mustangs faster than F-bodies at the track. And I go VERY OFTEN. If ya'll would like to join me so I can personally show you guys, I seriously wouldn't mind. If proof is what you guys want, I'll provide it. Just ask. Or if ya'll don't trust me, look in any automotive magazine without "Ford" or "Mustang" in the title and read a review. Because of this thread I went and dug up an old Motor Trend and they frowned upon the Cobra in a comparo between it, the SS, and the WS6. I'm not saying magazines are always to be trusted, but they do tend to know what they are talking about. I really don't want to argue with you guys about this.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:56 PM
No Cobra in 02.....
02-04 Cobra

03-05

No Cobra in 05
Mark

Since when?

I dunno, maybe I am thinking of the last of the 04's where they received the lip spoiler, and thought they were an early release 05.

As far as which is better, I like my cheeseburgers without mustard or mayo... but you might love it. I hate Camaros/Firebirds but love mustangs becuase the driving experience, power, looks, handling, etc, etc is better than those POS F-bodies... which is just an opinion of mine. Car forumns have huge egotistic views on cars... makes for big e-balls.

No since arguing, you like your GM thing-a-ma-bobs and I like the high performance Mustangs.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 07:58 PM
04 were just a carry over from the 03 model year...

No Cobra in 02.....
02-04 Cobra

03-05

No Cobra in 05
Mark

Since when?

I dunno, maybe I am thinking of the last of the 04's where they received the lip spoiler, and thought they were an early release 05.

..Back to sleep.

Posted By: akrump47 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/03/05 08:00 PM
F-body vs. Fox body! Which crude, clunky and discontinued car was better than the other one!

Posted By: mcfast Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 01:49 AM
I am not just looking for 1/4 milles speed, but road handling to, with the independent rear suspension and the 51% front 49% rear wt, It shoud handl pertty good, the roads up here are bad, It shoud be much better then a sold axel on rough roads, (99 and 01 SVT)
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 03:04 AM

IMHO, an 02-04 Cobra is better built than a WS6 or corvette.

Eh, I don't think the Cobra is built better than the 'Vette. When you have your qown dedicated factory plus a few years of building experience they tend to be built pretty well. My uncle's Z06 has taken tons of abuse in the past 2 years without comlaint. Not a rattle either. The Mustang has no where near the technology and engineering of the C5.

Go drive a '97 or '98 'Vette and then come back to the Cobra. You might want to hold out.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 03:10 AM
I am not just looking for 1/4 milles speed, but road handling to, with the independent rear suspension and the 51% front 49% rear wt, It shoud handl pertty good, the roads up here are bad, It shoud be much better then a sold axel on rough roads, (99 and 01 SVT)

Excuse Me? You are looking for handling on a Mustang? Go somewhere else for that. The Mustang has never handled as well as the F-body. Period. Although, if it's what you like and what you think fits you best, go for it I say. What I would do personally is go by a GT and save the 6000 and buy a Z28. Then compare.
Posted By: TGO Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 04:20 AM
First of all, the discussion here is regarding early model LS1's...so why are they being compared to '03-04 cobra's?? Is there any chance of one of those cobra's can be picked up for the prices mentioned here? No.

If you're going to make a comparison, make a fair one. The new cobra's are completely different cars than what was available when the ls1's came out.

An LS1 camaro or Firebird would beat a cobra of the same year. GM's hp numbers were underrated, and those cars would easily put down at the wheels what they were rated at the crank, or more.

Second, WTF is with this bashing of the interior?? What are you smoking to think the interior of the mustang is any better?? It's just as cramped, and visibility isn't that great either. I agree the hump in the floor of the camaro/firebird sucks...a friend of mine had a blazer with the same thing. Made no sense.

Oh, and a cobra has better build quality than a corvette?? That's a real knee-slapper!
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 04:33 AM
Finally, someone with a grain of intelligence. I was trying to tell them earlier the interior of the F-bodies aren't that bad, especially compared to a Cobra, a car I cannot fit in.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:19 AM
madmerc =

blah,blah,fbodies rule,blah,blah,i don't have a clue,blah,blah,blah i don't know wtf i'm talking about,blah,blah...

you do realize that 6th gear in a 6speed is another friggin' OVERDRIVE gear which has absolutely nothing to do with racing,right

and honestly an '01 cobra against an '01 ls1 is still a drivers race,and if the ls1 is any faster it is what maybe a 10th or 2...wow,certainly not worth putting up with the terrible ergonomics of the fbody....now mod both cars and the cobra will go faster for less $$$,and you can actually work on it,try even changing the plugs in an fbody...

an fbody internet group happens to meet every month near my house,and i hang out with them all the time,and they have some nice cars,some heavily modded,and are fast...but even they complain about the interiors and other things...
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:29 AM
I could say the same about you guys BLAH BLAH BLAH COBRA BLAH BLAH BLAH. And Yes, I HAVE helped change the plugs on my uncle's '94 Z28. Not Fun. But, you must realize the Camaro has a better top end. The extra gear only helps. I said it could OUTRUN a Cobra. That means top speed genius. Take the two out to Bonneville, or even the Autobahn and you will be surprised at the results. Plus, the F-Bodies are more aerodynamic than the Mustang. That doesn't even take intellect to understand, JUST LOOK AT THE TWO SIDE-BY-SIDE.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:36 AM
well talk top end all you want but my cousin's '04 cobra(stock except exhaust and k&n)easily pulls on a guy we knows modded ls1 that runs 12.40's...i've been in the car and have it myself....just wait until he gets the $200 pulley kit and gets more boost...
Posted By: "shotty driving"-ds Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:42 AM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
I will never have a daily driver that gets less than 25 mpg. A cobra would be an awesome car to have, but only on the weekends,

Vettes get 28 mpg hwy....

The Porsche 928 is one of my all time favorite cars, be prepared to bend over if you break anything though. But that's why it's a porsche, they're made to handle punishment.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:51 AM
Yeah, well one of MY good friends HAS a Cobra. It's a '93 model with a built 331 stroker connected to an intercooled Vortech centrifugal supercharger, pushing 11 psi of boost. It has WELL over 500 horsepower, and weighs very little compared to these "new" Cobras. He is VERY experienced at drag racing, and could only pull off a 13.1. He had FAT Ecstas out back and the same up front, all connected to a twin plate clutch and 3.70 gears out back to a limited slip differential. Don't tell me your ghetto little '04 can beat that, because it can't. There is just NO way. I'm not the novice ya'll must think I am. I've been around a couple times, and I just find the Camaro to do the job better. Period. It isn't that I don't like cobras, it's just they are not the best at what they do. No one said they were, no one said the Camaro was either, but I am saying a WELL taken care of WS6 with an EQUAL driver will pull an equal year Cobra anyday, and accomplish it without a supercharger. Trust me, a blown camaro is not something to be taken lightly.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Shotsatiated:
Originally posted by dubkatz:

Vettes get 28 mpg hwy....

The Porsche 928 is one of my favorite cars, be prepared to bend over if you break anything though. But that's why it's a porsche, they're made to handle punishment.

Agreed. One of my favorite sounds of all time is that"HOWL" a Porsche Flat-Six makes at high rpms.
Posted By: matt351 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 08:19 AM
Yeah, well one of MY good friends HAS a Cobra. It's a '93 model with a built 331 stroker connected to an intercooled Vortech centrifugal supercharger, pushing 11 psi of boost. It has WELL over 500 horsepower, and weighs very little compared to these "new" Cobras. He is VERY experienced at drag racing, and could only pull off a 13.1. He had FAT Ecstas out back and the same up front, all connected to a twin plate clutch and 3.70 gears out back to a limited slip differential. Don't tell me your ghetto little '04 can beat that, because it can't. There is just NO way. I'm not the novice ya'll must think I am. I've been around a couple times, and I just find the Camaro to do the job better. Period. It isn't that I don't like cobras, it's just they are not the best at what they do. No one said they were, no one said the Camaro was either, but I am saying a WELL taken care of WS6 with an EQUAL driver will pull an equal year Cobra anyday, and accomplish it without a supercharger. Trust me, a blown camaro is not something to be taken lightly.

ill chime in here since i know more about these vehicles than these little goofy fwd cars. merc, your friend cant drive if he is running 13.1's in a supercharged '93 cobra. he may be spinning really bad, but odds are he cant drive. ive seen someone run 13.7's in a bone stock '93 cobra, stock down to the air silencer and tires. heck ive got a friend who cant drive who has taken a '98 cobra with a procharger down the quarter at a blistering 14.5. like i said he cant drive. heck i was beating that when my truck was n/a with just a few boltons. mm&ff ran an '03 cobra at like 12.4 i believe so thats a good second ahead of your badazz driver buddy. the ls1 cars are wicked awesome out of the box, i believe some 6 speeds are broke into the 12's. they were the king of the hill in their segment until the '03 cobras and mach1's came out. the mach is right about even with the ls1 cars, and the cobra is considerably better than that.
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 01:20 PM

The Porsche 928 is one of my favorite cars, be prepared to bend over if you break anything though. But that's why it's a porsche, they're made to handle punishment.

Agreed. One of my favorite sounds of all time is that"HOWL" a Porsche Flat-Six makes at high rpms.

Uhh, 928 is a V8.

As far as bashing the interior, IMHO the Z28 uses the cheapest looking plastic ever (except for maybe the plastic in S10 trucks and Blazers). I have FAR more visibility out of a Mustang than an F-body.

Although the F-body does have that nice acreage on the dash if you decide to take up farming

I still stand by my original opinion. F-bodies suck, mainly due to the interior.

Worldclass drivetrain, except for the somewhat weak rear axle. How many times have you heard of an F-body swapping out his T-56 to get a stronger manual trans? Not many. LS-1? One of, if not the, best pushrod motors in the world. Not counting the LS-6/7 of course

I just can't see all this mechanical goodness through the glare from the chintzy plastic.

Apparently the market agreed since the Mustang outsold the Camaro and Firebird COMBINED most years. And Drag times didn't sway many because the majority of them were 6 cylinders, where the F-body 6 would totally OWN the Mustang 6 up until '99.

Ahh, choices! So glad we arent all forced to drive a Trabant

Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 02:22 PM
so let me get this straight madmerc,you honestly thnk that your friends '93 cobra with a built motor and procharger is only good for 13.1's ,please step away from the crack pipe.....either you don't know what your talking about or your friend needs to sell his car to someone who can drive...fwiw a guy at a car show i was in this weekend had a 93 gt,stock block,just heads cam,intake,and a 9psi. powerdyne s/c and he runs 12.30's all day long...

and please tell me since when an fbody can outhandle a cobra....you do realize that a cobra is built by svt,and has brake and suspension mods....i also seriously doubt an fbody could even outhandle a standard gt...like said before that's why you see tons of stangs and cobras at the autocross,and rarely see any fbodies...

the reason fbodies are extinct now is because people would rather buy a stang for a little less money,and mod it to run circles around an fbody...like i said a great drivetrain will only get you so far when it is attached to a pos car...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 04:46 PM
MadMerc, just out of curiosity, was your friend's 93 Cobra featured in any Mustang magazines? A buddy of mine just bought a 93 Cobra last year from a guy in Texas, actually traded his 86GT w/ built 347 for it.
But back on topic, you've got to be kidding if you think that a 13.1 is all that car is good for. And I don't care how fat those Ecsta's are, they are JUNK tires! They make hockey pucks look soft! Put a set of MT's on there and he'll turn that into an 11.5 if he has a clue what he's doing. But honestly, the F-bodies have an awesome motor with an even better tranny, but that's about as far as it goes. And you don't know how close I was to picking up a 98 WS6 before I bought the SVT. Pewter with a Borla exhaust an 18" Y2K Vette wheels all around.. Mmmmmmmmm

Mark
Posted By: matt351 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:36 PM
F-bodies have an awesome motor with an even better tranny, but that's about as far as it goes. Mark

that sort of reminds me of a friend who frequents diesel fourms. he bought a dodge with the cummins diesel. great engine surrounded by a junk truck.

i will agree, the ls series of motors are amazing motors. they have taken pushrod technology to new levels. heck the ls blocks are good for over 1000hp.

there is a guy named parish who lives in the midwest who took a 6.0L truck motor and swapped it into a regular cab shortbed 4x4 chevy. he was running 900 hp on the street with nothing more than arp bolts throughout for a few years. now he is running forged pistons and rods, with the arp stuff, stock heads and cam and is making 1100hp with stock all terrain tires at all 4 corners. the truck looks as stock as any other truck out on the streets until you here that t76 turbo spool up.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:42 PM
I'm not entirely sure. It's VERY red and the inside is cherry. The engine was built by a man called Kutzlo(I don't think I spelled that right). I will agree that he wasn't pushing the car to the limits, but you have to take into account 1) he didn't want to kill the car 2) I was in the car with him 3) he didn't want to kill me. Yeah, it probably could have gone much faster with better tires, but its a street car, he's not gonna throw drag radials on it. Very quick car. He could dump the clutch and break the tires loose from 4th to 3rd. It's an awesome car. Now I'll finally concede to you guys, the Cobra may be more popular, but it has to have a blower to make any power. WEAK. The same goes for the stupid Ford GT. I do commend Ford on finally making a good NA engine in the Mach 1, Marauder, new stang(only 3 valves? why not the full 4?), but to be frank it took them long enough. Now I don't know about you guys, but I'd take a new Z06 over a Ford GT any day of the week. Suck on that. You guys can't even argue with that because ya'll KNOW it's faster, handles better and costs less. Anyway, I'll drop the stang vs F-body thing. Unless you wanna bring up 3rd gen vs Fox-body. Then its on!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:43 PM
Now Chad is a 'buddy' of yours? :-P

Parrish's truck is bad ass, even if it is a Cheby.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:46 PM
Now I don't know about you guys, but I'd take a new Z06 over a Ford GT any day of the week. Suck on that. You guys can't even argue with that because ya'll KNOW it's faster, handles better and costs less. Anyway, I'll drop the stang vs F-body thing. Unless you wanna bring up 3rd gen vs Fox-body. Then its on!

Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:52 PM
Look, I just think that Ford powered by Chevy is almost unbeatable. But that doesn't sit well with most people. So until Ford starts put ZZ4s in Mustangs, I will stick with GM or Mopar for performance. I don't want to stir up trouble, but I'm not gonna lie about something I know to be incorrect. I just don't like the Mustang to be honest with you. I don't fit in them. They don't like me. Now the Mustang II is a completely different story. I'd take a King Cobra any day of the week. Oh, did you guys forget about that little blemish? Wait was a V6 the top engine for most of that cars run? I already know you guys are gonna whine about that not even beeing fair. "How can you compare a V8 Camaro or Firebird to a V6 Mustang II? That's cheating.." That's Fords problem, not mine... Seriously though, I DO like a lot of Fords products, like the Crown Vic and the new Mercurys. I don't hate Ford, just the Mustang. Gawd I write a lot....
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:55 PM
My quote is in reference to your 'Stupid GT' comment and that it is slower, handles worse than the Z06 etc...

The Ford GT is probably the best car in its class, especially when you consider the 'bang for the buck.' PERIOD.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 05:58 PM
Have you even looked at the price of the new Z06? its only 65K and beats the GT at everything. How is it not a bargain? It only ran the 2nd fastest time around Nurburgring EVER for a production vehicle, second only to the Carrera GT. Now with the money saved from not buying the Ford, I could buy a used Viper.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 06:08 PM
Now Chad is a 'buddy' of yours? :-P

Yep Don't see him as often since I never go up to Hall's, but I hung out with him quite a bit over the summer. Went to the Ford parts swap with him this spring in Columbus, OH. Funny bastard he is!

Mark
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 06:24 PM
Unless you wanna bring up 3rd gen vs Fox-body. Then its on!

i'll bring it up....the fox body stang ruled the streets in the late 80's and early 90's...period...the camaro was no competition whatsoever...that pathetic 305 was a joke,and the 350 camaro's could at best keep up with a foxbody stang......

the only thing in those days was the one off t/a gta with the grand national motor....that was a fast car....

for example my ex-wife had a 93 gt with 3.55 gears,h-pipe,and k&n and ran 13.9's.....a good friend with a i think 91 or 92 camaro with the 350,could not hang from a stop or a roll with her basically stock mustang...trust me i was heavily into the stang scene in the early 90's...and if you try and say that stangs didn't rule the streets then,you have no clue whatsoever......there were stang guys way back in 87 running deep into the 13's in stock foxbodies,with a simple bump in timing,removing the silencer,adding a k&n,and off road pipe...

and as far as looks the stangs again win hands down...the trunk in the iroc's was also useless,they also had that pass. hump in the floor,disgustingly horrible interior...that huge ugly flat dash,and seats that also felt likt they drug the ground...so yeah i brought it up...and its a fact that in the late 80's early 90's the foxbody owned the irocs hands down...
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 06:26 PM
wow, this post went from a guy talking about how fast the Cobra felt and how fun it was , to an argument on how this one guy hates Mustangs and would rather get an ugly Chevy or Mopar and the other people are all like " yeah well... fine."
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 06:48 PM
I already answered the original posters question. "whatever fits you best, you should decide for yourself. But these are the facts I know." And yeah, you are right about the fox body beating the 3rd gens. But what about that Mustang II? Seriously lets start that conversation. Oh wait. Never mind it's already over. The Fox body stangs are sweet, I was being sarcastic. I know darn well stock, foxes will win. but then again the Foxbody stang never had a TV show with David Hassalhoff.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/04/05 06:50 PM
that he is.
Posted By: Majisto Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 04:36 AM
The Mustang lives and the F-body has died. Must we go on? My aunt's 3rd Gen Camaro was a disaster. The 305 was definitely a boat anchor. I don't know which is worse, the 305 or the Olds 307 in my girlfriend's old Caprice.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Majisto:
The Mustang lives and the F-body has died. Must we go on? My aunt's 3rd Gen Camaro was a disaster. The 305 was definitely a boat anchor. I don't know which is worse, the 305 or the Olds 307 in my girlfriend's old Caprice.

My grandma died, but that doesn't mean she wasn't great. The same goes for the F-Body. What are you trying to prove with that statement?
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 02:11 PM
by the way madmerc,since your the one that keeps mentioning the mustang II(74-78)models,maybe you should know what you are talking about before spouting off.....for your information,the 74-78's were NOT only 6 cylinders,they were available with a 302..however during that time they only made about 150hp or less...

but then again that was during the gas crunch,and the first years of strict emission control....ALL manufacturers were making low hp cars at that time including gm....hell even the corvette had less than 200 hp...it was a black eye on the automotive industry as a whole,not just ford and mustang II's..
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 04:46 PM
C'mon!!! You think I didn't know that the King Cobra could come with a 140-hp 302? get serious man! I for one love the IIs, but most Ford guys don't like talking about them. In fact, my grandpa keeps trying to get me to start a project car involving a '74 4-cylinder coupe and a '70 built 351C my Uncle Buzz tore out of his last Mach 1. THAT would be a fast Mustang, wouldn't ya'll agree? I'm sorry if I got you guys all riled up, but y'know, sometimes it's good for you. Speaking of F-bodies though, I'm helping my friend build ANOTHER 3rd-gen Firebird. It's an '88 T-Bar model that HAD a 2.8L, but is getting the V8 makeover. We have a '91 Vortech 5.7L and a 700R4 Automatic transmission. Yesterday we marked the positions for the engine mounts to go(We jacked them from an old Formula) and tested engine clearance. We found that the transmission dipstick REALLY needs to be shortened or bent to a more conforming angle. Also, we found a fitting Formula-spec hood(you know with the offset cowl) and two new bumpers from earlier models. It's starting to come together pretty well now. I'll keep ya'll updated if you want to know more.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 04:50 PM
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:

and as far as looks the stangs again win hands down...the trunk in the iroc's was also useless,they also had that pass.

You guys know you keep screwing up the facts right? The only IROC-Zs and T/As that even HAD a trunk were the fairly rare convertible body styles. ALL THE OTHERS WERE HATCHBACKS.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 04:52 PM

and as far as looks the stangs again win hands down...the trunk in the iroc's was also useless,they also had that pass.

You guys know you keep screwing up the facts right? The only IROC-Zs and T/As that even HAD a trunk were the fairly rare convertible body styles. ALL THE OTHERS WERE HATCHBACKS.

ok then excuse me i mean the hatch(trunk)area,which is flat as a pancake,compare it to a fox hatch(not the roomiest either)
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 04:57 PM
It's cool, easy mistake. Did they have roof slats on Fox-bodies? I can't remember. Seriously though that has to be one of my favorite styling elements of all time.
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 06:42 PM
well talk top end all you want but my cousin's '04 cobra(stock except exhaust and k&n)easily pulls on a guy we knows modded ls1 that runs 12.40's...i've been in the car and have it myself....just wait until he gets the $200 pulley kit and gets more boost...

What does that have to do with anything? We are talking about the '01 Cobra.

Bone stock the LS1 car will pull in the higher gears. They also repond better to modifications.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 07:18 PM
These guys don't want to hear that, so they automatically go to a different car. I think some of them haven't even been in a late-model F-body.
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 09:12 PM
I've been in plenty of late model F-bodies.

Aside from the power, they all sucked.

I test drove one once with my wife. She sat on the passenger side with the lunchbox-sized hump in the floor and said "If you get it you'll be riding alone" which of course would have sometimes been a plus (Glad she doesn't read this or I'd probably be riding alone now )

But it's hard to go faster for cheaper than an LS1 F-body.

There's a reason they're cheap, and it's not because they're great.

But back to the original post, an F-body will go faster for a lower total investment than the same model Mustang.

It will suck while doing it though
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/05/05 09:31 PM
I've been in plenty of late model F-bodies.
Aside from the power, they all sucked.
I test drove one once with my wife. She sat on the passenger side with the lunchbox-sized hump in the floor and said "If you get it you'll be riding alone" which of course would have sometimes been a plus (Glad she doesn't read this or I'd probably be riding alone now )
But it's hard to go faster for cheaper than an LS1 F-body.
There's a reason they're cheap, and it's not because they're great.
But back to the original post, an F-body will go faster for a lower total investment than the same model Mustang.

You can easily say the same of pre-'05 Mustangs. They are cheap because there's a lot of them and their not that great. There are many quirks that the Mustang has too. The F-Body has a worse interior and maybe worse stying but accelerates and handles better. All depends on what your looking for.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/06/05 03:50 AM
to you guys that are saying an f-body will respond better,and is cheaper to mod, what kind of crack are you smoking??????must be some good stuff...

the mustang aftermarket is a million times what the aftermarket for camaro's is...for every 1 part avaible for an f-body there are literally hundreds available for any model stang....not to mention there are at least 5 or more monthly publications dedicated simply to the LATE model mustangs,how many do the f-bodies have????and in those publications are hundreds of pages of parts suppliers....

it is a FACT that a mustang(pretty much any year)can be modded for less money and more efficiently than any f-body....and you can actually work on and bolt on the mods rather easily to a stang...try bolting on the simplest of parts to an f-body...
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/06/05 03:57 AM
Originally posted by JCSVT:

Bone stock the LS1 car will pull in the higher gears. They also repond better to modifications.

if you actually read my post i said a HIGHLY MODDED ls1 against a STOCK '04 cobra...

btw have you owned either car?????or even driven either car????

actually the hp #'s are pretty similar in an '01 cobra and an ls1 f-body,so it would still pretty much be a drivers race,until ridiculously high speeds....this higher gear pulling your talking about,yeah maybe above 125-130 mph,so what who really cares if it is a little faster on the top end....the '01 cobra still runs with it,looks better than it,has a nicer interior,and will outhandle it any day of the week..

and since when does an f-body outhandle a cobra????oh yeah that's right it doesn't...even fbody owners will tell you the handling sucks,fbodies are only good for going fast in a straight line...like has been mentioned above,how many fbodies do you see autocrossing,and how many stangs/cobras do you see??????
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/06/05 04:05 AM

if that's the case than you take any f-body,and i'll take my '95 gt......give us both $5k for mods for each and i'll guarantee you my '95 will show its taillights to the f-body in pretty much any competition...but that's because i could buy twice the things that the fbody owner can buy for the same money...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/06/05 02:14 PM
It's a tough call Chris, and it depends on the car. I've seen LS1's running anywhere from 13.2-14.5 in stock form. I'd personally do a few bolt-ons with the LS1(catback, lid, programmer) and a big shot on N2O. They respond crazy to the juice.
As for the Cobra, the first thing I'd do would be gears! They strive on the upper RPM's, and some 4:10's will keep it up there in the power band. Ofcourse I'd throw some N2O at it like I would the LS1, but probably not as large of a shot.
It all boils down to what you set your car up for. Both cars are considered pigs in the auto-x scene, so I personally wouldn't set them up for anything but straight line performance.

Mark
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/06/05 02:16 PM
you and your nitrous mark...lol.....
Posted By: mcfast Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/06/05 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
An extra 100 HP, 1 second less, and 10 mph more is definitely noticable.

Then there is that whole NOT driving the wrong wheels part!

I think there more of a differents then that, Contour 200 hp, 169 t, 7.6 0 to 60, 1/4 low 15s to hight 14s, Mustang 320 hp, 317 t, 5.4 to 60, 1/4 low 13s, hight 12s, thats over, 2 seconds different 0 to 60 and about 2 secouds differents 1/4, that would make it more then just definitely noticable.
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 12:15 AM

if you actually read my post i said a HIGHLY MODDED ls1 against a STOCK '04 cobra...

actually the hp #'s are pretty similar in an '01 cobra and an ls1 f-body,so it would still pretty much be a drivers race,until ridiculously high speeds....this higher gear pulling your talking about,yeah maybe above 125-130 mph,s

An LS1 does not need to be highly modded to keep up with an '04 Cobra. Full bolt-ons will put most people at 340-350rwhp. That's enough to tangle with a Cobra. Once it comes to modding the LS1 cars have it all over the '01 Cobras.

Here's recent thread about this on SVTPerformance

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223917
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 12:17 AM

if that's the case than you take any f-body,and i'll take my '95 gt......give us both $5k for mods for each and i'll guarantee you my '95 will show its taillights to the f-body in pretty much any competition...but that's because i could buy twice the things that the fbody owner can buy for the same money...

That is different becuase you do not have a MOD motor. They are a lot more expensive to mods and do not have the aftermarket of the 5.0s.
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 12:18 AM

Once the modding starts all bets are off. I'm referring to STOCK vehicles. I can take $5k and throw it at a clapped out Vega and outrun Vipers in a straight line. That doesn't mean it's a decent car. It would be a $50 car wrapped around $4950 worth of 383 stroker crate motor.

The Mustang does have a better aftermarket, but for $5k you are talking blower. And most hi-dollar mods are about the same price for Mustang or Camaro. Plus you have to take into account that just because someone bought the "Incredible Wunder Uber Gotterdammerrung" doesn't mean it will achieve the claimed horsepower. Mods have to be tuned to realize their potential. You can throw a $1000 BG double pumper on an engine and it will run like crap unless the engine is tuned for it.

To make it fair (?) take a '95 Z28 with the LT1. 275hp (underrated)Bone stock 14.0 flat at 100mph is common and high 13's not out of the question. An LS1 wouldn't be fair.

A '95 GT has 215? stock? and runs high 14's on a good day(the lighter non-SN95s ran mid 14's on a good day stock).

Both stock.

Now add the $5k in mods.

With the Stang you'd do gears first (stock either 2.73 or 3.08 needs to be 3.55 or 3.73 depending on engine combo.), exhaust, blower kit, and have a little left over for odds and ends.

With the Z28 you'd get the blower kit and have enough for exhaust and intake. It came standard with 3.42 gears and T-56 so gear change not really necessary.

I'd still put my money on the Z28 in a straight line. Of course there is always the chance that the sucky Opti-Spark ignition will fail and kill the car before it gets to the end of the 1/4. Or it may grenade the rear end.

The Stang stands a chance of nuking the T5/T45 if a shift is rushed. The rest of it is quite solid.

If you put drag radials on both I lean toward the Stang simply due to the rear axle. A Z28 with drag radials on the stock axle is asking for trouble if abused. A Stang axle is good for 11's.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer the stang any day of the week. I just don't think that it can take a Z28 with similar mods in a straight line. It is starting off with a 48 cu in disadvantage and the LT1 is not the dog the TPI 350 was. The LS1 (actually 346 ci not 350) is a whole 'nother ballgame.

I used to own an '87 LX 5.0 and was wrapped up in the Mustang performance scene. It was a great car and I beat it senseless and it kept coming back for more with no complaints for 120k miles. It is still running today with 250k+ on the original engine. But I saw a few Z28 taillights. I didn't have mine anymore when the LS1 came out so I never raced one of those.

Enjoy your Stang and know you have the better car. But not necessarily the fastest.

Whew, that was long. If you've read this far, I salute your patience and apologize for the length.

I just had to bring up a bit of reality.

OK here is a cut and pasted post from SVTPerformance. Look how many mods were needed to run with a STOCK LS1:

I have raced a stock 02 t/a here in the city a few times with my mods listed below. They are very close races but if I get a good launch and don't make my teeth chatter, then I usually will win by about 1/2 a car length.
#125 of 3384

Motive 4.10s, Superchips tuned, Eibach springs, WMS Upper & Lower CAI, 95 Pro-M, Bassani BX series catted Xpipe and catback, Steeda Tri-ax, CDC Lightbar, Saleen Side scoops,

When I had the 5.0 I was one of those guys who thought I owned the street. I know guys who own F-bodies who are still like that. My first humbling came at the hands of a Turbo 4 cylinder (at least it was a Lotus ) and one of my LS1 friends has met a Lancer EVO and been impressed by the clear taillights.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 04:02 AM

actually the hp #'s are pretty similar in an '01 cobra and an ls1 f-body,so it would still pretty much be a drivers race,until ridiculously high speeds....this higher gear pulling your talking about,yeah maybe above 125-130 mph,s

An LS1 does not need to be highly modded to keep up with an '04 Cobra. Full bolt-ons will put most people at 340-350rwhp. That's enough to tangle with a Cobra. Once it comes to modding the LS1 cars have it all over the '01 Cobras.

Here's recent thread about this on SVTPerformance

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223917

a 350 rwhp ls1 is simply not enough to hang with a stock '03-'04,the ls1's were not the only underrated cars....most '03-'04 cobras dyno at anywhere from 370-390 hp at the wheels.....there was a nice video that i actually downloaded off of here,of a guy in his brand new '03 and he walked off and left a modded t/a on the interstate..
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 04:13 AM
to avoid a very long quote svtcj,while some of your points are valid.....actually the 95 camaro's were not the ones that were underrated from the factory,it was the ls1's.....a stock lt1 camaro is about good for low 14's at best.....

fwiw my 215 hp gt ran 14.7's stock.....now with nothing more than 3.73's,long tube headers,full exh.,tb and maf,it runs 14.0's to 14.2's......my friend actually has a 96 t/a and while his car is stock(besides k&n and lid)we run pretty much neck and neck...and actually i start to pull on him at high speeds(longtubes make great mid range power)...

and actually with $5k in mods i wouldn't buy a blower(which if you price them you would see that a mustang kit is far cheaper than a kit made for a camaro)i would run a single turbo,and spend about $3k of that and still have $2k left....$5k will barely get you a blower kit for an f-body,and i'm quite sure a turbo kit would be quite hard to install on an fbody...

this argument is almost pointless though as neither side will give up on its stance...but i must say it has been good maturely debating with you guys,without it turning into the usual name calling and other ceg drama...
Posted By: Majisto Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 06:09 AM

My grandma died, but that doesn't mean she wasn't great. The same goes for the F-Body. What are you trying to prove with that statement?

That the F-body as a car is junk. The window motors, leaks, paint quality, rear end (The GM rear ends are glass; surprised nobody brought this up), and many other things in addition to the bad safety record that made GM cancel it. The F-body has always played second fiddle to the Mustang in terms of quality. Yes, there are many F-bodies that could out-muscle a Mustang, but it is not a better car. The Fox's quadra-shocks were a joke, but the F-body is an inferior car. This is the automobile world where cars are driven by demand and profits. This has nothing to do with the natural course of life. To compare the two is just silly. It just means you have no other way to back up your statement.
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 10:43 AM
(The GM rear ends are glass; surprised nobody brought this up),

I did. It was just buried in my long-winded diatribe above

And Blower kits for the LT1 are $2600 for the Powerdyne and $3500 for the Vortech at SummitRacing.

A turbo kit for the LT1 is $4200 at Pro Turbo Systems.

Stock LT1s have made 270 at the rear wheels. I'd call that underrated. Stock LS1s have made 300+.
Posted By: cjbaldw_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 02:34 PM
fwiw a stock ls1 is NOT faster than an 01 cobra stock for stock it is purely a drivers race....my cousin had an '01 cobra a couple years ago(he now has an '04)and it consistantly ran 13.5's to 13.7's which is right on par with a stock ls1...it is pretty much a drivers race...let's not even get into his '04 which has run a best of 12.8 with only a k&n drop in and flowmasters on it...

The 01 Cobra's were faster than the 99's, even post fix. I've seen stock 01's run 13.5's at Cecil Dragway, which is close to sea level and known to produce great ET's/MPH. My 99 SS with lid and Magnaflow exhaust, ran 12.9@109MPH, bone stock it ran 13.1@107MPH at the same track. There is more potential with the LS1 cars to run considerably better ET's/MPH than the 99/01 Cobras. The best LS1 F-bodies have run high 12's bone stock, the 99/01 Cobras never came close. I drove both a 99 Cobra and my 99 SS and I bought the SS because of mod potential and I actually liked the lower slung GM car's interior better, and the 6-speed Hurst shifter IMHO was much better placed and functionally better. I had no squeaks at all and the rattles are mostly suspension/drivetrain related (the stock 10 bolt rear is very clunky/noisy), not interior related.

Don't get me wrong I liked the Cobra, the exhaust tuning was excellent from the factory, and it was quick, but it's not going to run side by side with a well driven 6-speed F-body LS1 especially after 2nd gear (the infamous 3rd gear LS1 pull). The Cobra's independent rear suspension is a disadvantage when drag racing, but pays off in the turns big time. The few MACH1 Stangs I came across before I sold my SS actually put up much better fights when drag racing than the Cobras I ran in my SS when it was semi-stock.

Posted By: cjbaldw_dup1 Re: Boy,It was fast! - 10/07/05 03:29 PM

Yes, with some of the better known and higher selling NA mod parts this is true, but for FI parts the pricing doesn't go down as much no matter what engine you're talking about, so I'll tell you what, I'll take my 5k, and buy two things:

Single Turbo Kit (3500)
Forged rods/bolts/pistons (1500)

I'll do the install myself, because I can. I'll run 10 PSI to be conservative, that'll put me up around 600-700rwhp. Granted I'll blow up my 10 bolt rear after a month, but I'll toast you every time no matter what you do to your 5.0L engine for that money.

Then again, I could forgo the forged internals and go 5PSI on the stock block and internals safely, grab some 4.11 gears, and a few other mods, I'll be running around 500rwhp good for low 11's on street tires in the mid 120's for traps (and that's conservative).
© CEG Archives