Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: cheapest GL around no more Fords for me - 09/04/05 10:14 PM
Well, my inexpensive fixer-upper GL just shat all its oil out the tailpipe while in the left lane of the freeway, and by the time I had come to a stop the engine was completely seized up. I'm guessing it was most likely the head gasket. I had another Ford head gasket failure just a few years ago, so I'm taking this as a lesson not to buy Fords anymore.

I think I'm gonna be a tree-hugger and get a Civic hybrid.
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: no more Fords for me - 09/04/05 10:26 PM
Originally posted by cheapest GL around:

Posted By: TjZ Re: no more Fords for me - 09/04/05 10:38 PM
SELL OUT! naw its cool do whateva ya want. Your money and your life best of luck with your next ride.
Posted By: DopePope Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 12:26 AM
well luckily for you all other companies' engines never fail or have issues, so good luck.

sorry to hear about your misfortunes
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 12:30 AM
A honda hybrid is a fine idea, although I wouldn't not buy a ford just because it's a ford.
Although I don't buy chevy's just because they're chevy's But hey, my advice is still sound... so heed it
Posted By: Woodencross Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 04:13 AM
Originally posted by DopePope:
well luckily for you all other companies' engines never fail or have issues, so good luck.

Yeah, they NEVER break!!

I bought a Honda Civic with 14 miles on it, and it was in the shop three times for the Air Conditioning (each time something different), Re-Tint, one of the locks on the car broke, and this was all BEFORE it had 2500 miles on it!!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 04:17 AM
I would never own a ford.
Posted By: Matty K Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 04:20 AM
Yes, Wooden, but those are all non-drivetrain issues.

Much as I love my CSVT, I would definately buy a Honda (if they weren't all so ugly now). We had a lowered one come into the shop once... this girl had knocked her drain plug loose, and the car had practically no oil in it. Damn thing still ran.

'Course, I still think Toyota is the master of bullet-proof engine building. After all, they retail to senior citizens (not always the best at maintainence) and people like my mom (DEFINATELY not the best at maintainence). Plus, there's a reason that damn 2J Supra engine is so popular.
Posted By: DopePope Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Matty K:
this girl had knocked her drain plug loose, and the car had practically no oil in it. Damn thing still ran.

'Course, I still think Toyota is the master of bullet-proof engine building. After all, they retail to senior citizens (not always the best at maintainence) and people like my mom (DEFINATELY not the best at maintainence). Plus, there's a reason that damn 2J Supra engine is so popular.

I ran a 2.5 duratech for over 1k with little to no oil in it with no issues (untill finally spun a bearing). The guy i sold my svt to had a taurus (forget which engine) which also had no oil in it for a long time with no issues and works fine to this day after it had more oil put in.

i will agree on toyota, but too bad i dont really like any of their cars (i like the supra but they are no longer made).
Posted By: SVTCJ Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 04:28 AM
I just sold my '97 Explorer. Bought it new and put 120k on it.

It NEVER was in the shop for ANYTHING. I did my own routine maintenance and that's all it ever needed.

My next door neighbor was preaching to me aboout the reliability of his Hondas. They are all he will buy. I casually asked why I had seeen him in a different Honda a couple of times. Oh, his was in the shop and that was a loaner, but it was minor stuff so it didn't soil the Honda reputation. I nonchalantly mention that my "unreliable" Ford is 4 years older than his Honda and has never even been to any shop for anything. "Oh you just got a good one". Then how about my '83 F150 4x4 that has cost me exactly $8 in non-routine maintenance over the last 5 years?(I don't drive it that much but sheesh! It will sit for 2 months and then start within a few rotations)

Doesn't matter. Hondas rule and nothing else is as good (in his mind)

I guess the mushrooms come packaged under the seat when you buy one.

Don't write off Fords because you had bad luck. It could happen to anything.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Majisto Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 05:04 AM
My dad's 2000 Explorer XLT is about to hit 170K miles. He has done no drivetrain work or any mechanical work besides a clogged IAC. The Taurus is upto 110K miles and the Contour is upto 56K. None have had any major mechanical work. The Taurus had a leaky coolant tank and the heater does not work very well, but the drivetrains are great.

Honestly, a Civic hybrid is a waste of money. Buy a regular Civic. Honda's hybrid system is much more wasterful than Toyota's. But I think 32 MPG is very impressive for my V-6 automatic, don't you? Considering I paid only $6K for a car with 38,000 miles allowed me to set aside a lot of money for repairs, none of which I have had to do anyway. Do you think I made a bad decision?

If you really want something, go find a late model 626 4-cylinder with a 5-speed. Just got one not too ago for my girlfriend and it's a great car. It has 131K miles and it drives like it's nearly brand new.
Posted By: Matty K Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 05:06 AM
Very true... ANY car will last if you take care of it (generally). Which is why i'm still in my CSVT .

Ditto on Toyota though... they need a "real" sports car again.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 05:44 AM
my worst car experience was my 89 mitsubishi colt who were taking more oil than petrol near the end of her life, 1liter every 400km, the last week i was driving it i lost the driving side door on a parking lots... that was ambarassing to drive home after
Posted By: Kyo_dup1 Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 10:09 AM
Originally posted by SVT3Rivieres:
my worst car experience was my 89 mitsubishi colt who were taking more oil than petrol near the end of her life, 1liter every 400km, the last week i was driving it i lost the driving side door on a parking lots... that was ambarassing to drive home after

Is that why you bought your CSVT?

Heh.. My old 1987 Dodge Omni dropped a right-rear door just when I was securing my older son in his child seat.. I had to replace the hinge's pin with a 6-in nail so I could drive the car again (but no kids in it until it went to the scrapyard!)

And I thought I had it bad with my 93 Tercel! I had to put a liter of oil every week (4-500 km) starting at 100,000 km. At the same time I had a 1991 Hyundai Excel that took the same amount of oil, but it had 323,000 km!

At 223,000 km the Tercel decided that a little oil in the radiator and a little coolant in the oil pan was a good idea, but I differed..

I just wish I could've taken a sledgehammer to that Toyota - which is the reason I won't buy another one. I'll buy Fords instead!
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 12:29 PM
When my sister was dating the guy who's now her husband, they were on a narrow road and ended up going off the edge and 60 ft down a extremely steep bank into a creek.

$200 later the car was fine. Ti-rod bent or something was the only damage. That was a toyota tercel, pretty sturdy!

-Peter
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: no more Fords for me - 09/05/05 01:01 PM

Much as I love my CSVT, I would definately buy a Honda (if they weren't all so ugly now). We had a lowered one come into the shop once... this girl had knocked her drain plug loose, and the car had practically no oil in it. Damn thing still ran.

I also agree about the toyota engines. Car and Driver put toyota in the top 5 for best engines in the world, I think they were number 2 or 3.. I remember they were one space behind BMW. Around here you almost NEVER see a toyota for sale with less then 100K miles. People just dont ever want to get rid of them.
Posted By: Kyo_dup1 Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 03:44 AM
Originally posted by MAYBE aliasfriend:

I also agree about the toyota engines. Car and Driver put toyota in the top 5 for best engines in the world, I think they were number 2 or 3.. I remember they were one space behind BMW. Around here you almost NEVER see a toyota for sale with less then 100K miles. People just dont ever want to get rid of them.

Well, maybe we had a lemon... But a close friend of ours had his 1992 Tercel die on him - it drank all its oil between Quebec City and Montreal and seized on HWY 40... it had less than 100,000 km, and was maintained properly too.

It's almost a running joke here, if you're following a Tercel (1991-1994), you are in a cloud of blue smoke almost every time. The last generation was much better.

But that was our Tercels. I had 3 Corollas in my life (1976 and 1977 sedans, 1980 Wagon), and all had bulletproof engines - I know, I really did try to blow them up! :-) But the last Toyota I bought left me with a very bad aftertaste... and since I had the "lowly" Tercel, the stealer didn't really want to try to correct the many problems I had with it. Oh well, his lost!
Posted By: SAV Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 04:08 AM
I briefly had a 1987 Toyota Corolla FX16 handed over to me from my father's coworker in exchange for a measly $200.

8 gallons of gas and that sucker would go over 300 miles. It shook, rattled, had a hole in the muffler so it was extremely loud, and AC wasn't even an option back then. The crank window on the driver side would sometimes fall off track and the wheels were "massive" 13s. Didn't even know that it had one quart of oil in it when I got it but it was running fine. The hatch would pop open in the middle of pulling into my driveway for no particular reason and girls wouldn't come anywhere near it. Even Roger's Compound would have trouble shining it up with the condition the paint was in.

But man, that damn car had the most awesome sound system a friend of mine and I installed. And geez, I could sing it at 7000 RPM all day long while traversing the backwoods on a bumpy dirt trail at 50 MPH and even with over 225,000 miles it WOULD NOT die. Toyotas of yore were some serious troopers of their time.

-SAV
Posted By: TheFordGuy Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 04:29 AM
I'm not in 100% agreement with the Toyota engines. I've seen multiple of these newer Celica GTS engines blow up from "mis-shifting." How is that bullet proof? Their other models may be terrific for all I know.

Greg
Posted By: rouar Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 04:31 AM
A cousin of mine had a Geo Prism - same as the Corolla of that day. Ugly, slow little bugger but it was the most reliable thing I'd ever seen for its age.
Posted By: Matty K Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 05:42 AM
Originally posted by TheFordGuy:
I'm not in 100% agreement with the Toyota engines. I've seen multiple of these newer Celica GTS engines blow up from "mis-shifting." How is that bullet proof? Their other models may be terrific for all I know.

Greg

That mis-shift IS a very common problem. It overrevs to something like 14 or 16 thousand.... I don't TOO many cars that can handle that. But, of course, Toyota's not perfect... I think they just have extremely well done engines overall.

We had an old 4 Runner that was about to turn 300k miles... ran like f'n new.
Posted By: rmcd79_dup1 Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 06:20 AM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
A cousin of mine had a Geo Prism - same as the Corolla of that day. Ugly, slow little bugger but it was the most reliable thing I'd ever seen for its age.

I'll attest to ugly, I can't vouch for slow yet, but reliability is always hindered when the previous owner puts too long of a spark plug into one of the cylinders. Oh well I knew it didn't run when I bought it. But it's hard to go wrong on an 80 dollar car.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: no more Fords for me - 09/06/05 06:55 AM
Originally posted by rmcd79:
Originally posted by 98 SE:

I'll attest to ugly, I can't vouch for slow yet, but reliability is always hindered when the previous owner puts too long of a spark plug into one of the cylinders. Oh well I knew it didn't run when I bought it. But it's hard to go wrong on an 80 dollar car.

Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: no more Fords for me - 09/07/05 01:43 PM
the good thing about buying a new car is you can take care of it yourself and knowing that you have. when you buy used you have no clue how that person treated the vehicle. im going to do my damndest to take great care of my new truck so it will live beyond the warranty.
Posted By: cheapest GL around Re: no more Fords for me - 09/07/05 07:31 PM

I test-drove a Civic Hybrid yesterday and it was a distressingly economical driving experience. Then I tried a regular Civic... it was almost identical to drive. I was severely unexcited.

Maybe I'll look at the Mazda 3; its mileage is surprisingly decent.

But then, it has the same engines as a Focus, doesn't it? #%&@*$! Ford engines should be taken to the local mental ward and placed under suicide watch.

Or I could spend $30,000+ and get a 255HP Accord Hybrid.
Posted By: DopePope Re: no more Fords for me - 09/07/05 11:46 PM

Or I could spend $30,000+ and get a 255HP Accord Hybrid.

I hear you have to give them your [censored] when you buy one of those.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: no more Fords for me - 09/08/05 12:11 AM
It's all how you take care of the car (of course there are lemons, there are with any make). My brother had a corolla that blew it's head gasket 2 weeks after he got it. Got it fixed and it started having trouble again. So toyotas do have problems if not taken care of right.
My fords run strong, never left me stranded. *Knocks on wood*

Whatever you do, don't buy a VW. Biggest POSs ever. I'd take a kia or hyundai any day over a VW.
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: no more Fords for me - 09/08/05 04:50 PM
I think his name says it all. "Cheapest GL around" maybe if you put some money into it it would have lasted a little longer.
Posted By: elraido Re: no more Fords for me - 09/08/05 08:14 PM
Good ole' geo prims. I hade a 90 prism with 160K on it when I a minivan ran a red light and I broad sided it. Minivan had to be towed away, I drove my car for another 2 months before the insurance company took it away. I had VERY little problems with that car when we bought it with 76k miles on it (or so). I think it also had a 103 horsepower (something like that) and the LSI version had like 120. Man I loved that car.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: no more Fords for me - 09/08/05 11:56 PM

A chance to whore my Toyota. It's a 1JZ-GTE powered Lexus SC300 with a 5sp. Couldn't find a Ford I really wanted to drive. Although I have to admit I would like a post 98 Jag XJR.
Posted By: Majisto Re: no more Fords for me - 09/10/05 09:45 PM
You know, I got into a drag race with an IS300 in the Explorer and I will never forget the look on the guy's face as I hung with him all the way upto 60. It was an auto-stick circa 2002 model. I guess they could be fast with a stick, but he found out that not all SUVs are slow.

The IS300 disappointed me. It would hand the Explorer its rear end in a real road course, but the SVT Contour could do a good job as well I bet. How is the SC300?

And also, I don't think Ford engines are trash. If Ford engines are trash, than that Sonata my family rented once with the brake line that popped off the master cylinder was a good car.
Posted By: cheapest GL around Re: no more Fords for me - 09/12/05 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Whatever you do, don't buy a VW. Biggest POSs ever. I'd take a kia or hyundai any day over a VW.

My parents have a Passat and they hate it, hate it, hate it. They like Subarus, so I expect that's what they'll go back to. Good for Great Lakes winters.

I'm now just sort of checking through a list of smallish cars that are reasonably pleasant to drive and use less gas than a Contour. So far, models I know I should check include the Focus, Mazda 3, Impreza, Mini, Neon, Cavalier, Cobalt, Ion, Corolla, Celica, Matrix, Sentra... I haven't finished the list yet. I'm sure most of the preceding will suck in obvious ways. And most of those that are left, like maybe the Neon, will have distinct trustworthiness shortcomings.
Posted By: cheapest GL around Re: no more Fords for me - 09/12/05 03:29 AM
Originally posted by SVT25:
I think his name says it all. "Cheapest GL around" maybe if you put some money into it it would have lasted a little longer.

What would you have done, if your good Contour got destroyed a week before you lost your job? I got a fixer-upper for less than half of the insurance payment.

(Now I've got a better income than ever, and am looking to buy new.)

Anyway, the reason I don't want any more Ford engines is not just because the cheap one that got trashed by its previous owner had a failure, but because the good one I had before, which was properly taken care of, also had a major engine failure... at less than 70000 miles, with every sign that the failure was due to corners cut during manufacturing. We repaired it, but still. Two in a row is at least one too many.

That's actually the third catastrophic engine failure I've had; the third was an eighties Mitsubishi. Since then it's become clear that Mitsubishi is the one Japanese brand whose cars are less reliable than Detroit's. Now that Chrysler has cut off their allowance, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi ends up driven out of the car business entirely.
Posted By: Majisto Re: no more Fords for me - 09/12/05 08:17 PM
Stereotyping an entire company's engine lines because of two failures is not a wise thing to do. Did you know that the Mercury Villager has a Nissan motor? So, would you buy the car then? It doesn't have a Ford motor in it, but it's still a Ford product. The Lotus Elise has a Toyota motor, but it's still a Lotus right?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: no more Fords for me - 09/12/05 08:25 PM
Any vehicle bought new and maintained well will give many years of good pleasurable trouble-free driving.
Posted By: red99sesport Re: no more Fords for me - 09/12/05 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Any vehicle bought new and maintained well will give many years of good pleasurable trouble-free driving.

That's generally the case. However, there are exceptions. For instance, my grandma bought a 1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas in 1985. She had it maintained by the Jaguar dealer at the required intervals, but it was never a trouble free car. The electrical system was a nightmare, as was the HVAC system. Things always broke at the worst times. Probably the worst thing it ever did was when the heater failed in 1993. It failed in mid Feb, 2 days before my step grandfather died. We had to take it to the graveside service because her Toyota was in FL. That was the coldest, most miserable car ride I've ever had.

She couldn't keep the car after that. It had provided her with 7 years of one-way service, monthly flat bed towings, and expensive repairs. After it left us freezing when her husband died, that POS was gone.

My point is that there are some cars, that no matter how well maintained, are unreliable cars. If CheapestGL wants a reliable small car, a Corolla isn't a bad choice. I own a 2005 LE. Loaded they are nice cars. A Mazda3s isn't a bad choice either. I'm driving one of those this semester, and again, it's not a bad car with the right options. Civics are good small cars also, but they don't have the sporty nature of a 3 or the reliability of a Corolla. Stay far, far away from the new Cavalier/Sunfire, Cobalt, Neon, and earlier generation Foci if you're lookin at used cars.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: no more Fords for me - 09/12/05 11:15 PM
Well, my inexpensive fixer-upper GL just shat all its oil out the tailpipe while in the left lane of the freeway, and by the time I had come to a stop the engine was completely seized up. I'm guessing it was most likely the head gasket. I had another Ford head gasket failure just a few years ago, so I'm taking this as a lesson not to buy Fords anymore.

The other Ford with a head gasket problem was a 3.8L, right
Posted By: SAV Re: no more Fords for me - 09/13/05 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Well....crap.

-SAV
Posted By: plance1_dup1 Re: no more Fords for me - 09/14/05 12:04 AM
My 1979 F-150 is a ford, I bought it about 5 years ago for $600. The thing wont stop running! Now I am using it to tow around my $20k SVT contour thanks to the crappy engine. Thats irony for ya...
Posted By: cheapest GL around Re: no more Fords for me - 09/19/05 05:19 PM
Originally posted by red99sesport:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

That's generally the case. However, there are exceptions.

And sometimes the exceptions are powered by Zetecs. It may be a nice engine design, but when the factory cuts corners on finishing the head gasket mating surfaces...

I test-drove a bunch of small cars, and the Mazda 3 kicks so much buttawk compared to everything else that it's no contest. The only other car in the running, if I decide to opt for sensible instead of sportular, is the Toyota Matrix wagonette. My only big reason for shying away from the 3 was because it's a Ford engine, but the salesman assures me that even if it looks just like a duratec 4 from a Focus or Escape, it's not, since it's manufactured in Hiroshima. But then, you have to check up on everything these guys say.

According to one review of the 3, "Mazda developed the engines and transmissions, Volvo did the chassis and safety, and Ford did the suspension design." That sounds cool.
Posted By: red99sesport Re: no more Fords for me - 09/20/05 02:00 PM
I love driving the Mazda3. I can honestly say that the fit and finish are near flawless, almost Lexus like. The power, handling, exterior looks, and interior are top notch.

If you buy a 3s like I'm driving with all the toys like 17" wheels, 4 wheel disc ABS, Side Airbags, Moonroof, 6-disc indash CD, steering wheel audio controls, and the sport package (which does not include a spoiler, thank GOD), you have a damn nice little car. In addition to those things, you get lumber support, speed compansated volume, keyless, a manumatic transaxle that actually works like it should (not like autostick), cruise, a tilt and telescoping wheel that is wrapped in leather, a leather shift knob, a massive glovebox, a two tiered console, folding rear seats, and the coolest nighttime dash display you've probably ever seen in a car.

Did I mention a 4 year 50,000 Bumper to Bumper Warranty and a 5 year 60,000 mile Powertrain warranty.

I'd pick the 3s over a Matrix. I own a Corolla, which is a sedan version of the Matrix, and I can tell you it isn't fun to drive like the Mazda. Also, with the Matrix's extra weight, it has to be slow, as it uses the exact same engine as my Corolla. Thirdly, a Matrix is a bit on the ugly side in my opinion. Forthly, if you're over 5'10" or under 5'7", you won't find the driving position in the Matrix to be comfortable, no matter how you adjust the seat and wheel.
Posted By: cheapest GL around Re: no more Fords for me - 09/20/05 04:27 PM
In addition to those things, you get lumber support

It can carry construction materials? I thought it was a little small for that...

Also, with the Matrix's extra weight, it has to be slow, as it uses the exact same engine as my Corolla.

I believe the Matrox is like 200 lbs heavier than the corolla, but is still lighter than the 3.

Forthly, if you're over 5'10" or under 5'7", you won't find the driving position in the Matrix to be comfortable, no matter how you adjust the seat and wheel.

I am over 5'10", and I found the Matrix to be the less cramped of the two, in some ways. I definitely had less trouble with forward/upward visibility (see other thread about eye-level rear view mirrors). The Matrix also has like 50% more cargo room despite looking no bigger on the outside. It gets better mileage, it has that unkillable Toyota reliability, it has higher resale value by most estimates. The driving advantages of the 3 are inarguable, of course... (yet I was surprised to find that the 160HP 2.3 engine actually seemed to give it less freeway passing ability than my 2.0 Contour had). So it's basically a choice between the sober sensible option and the fun option. But given that they cost the same, the fun option is sure looking like the better deal.

I do quite like that five speed tranny in the 3... far better than the one in my Contour. Like, it knows how to engine-brake on downhills without being told. And to avoid constantly switching back and forth on uphills. Those are great features for someone like me who makes regular trips to the mountains.
Posted By: red99sesport Re: no more Fords for me - 09/20/05 04:53 PM
You were driving a 3s with an auto correct? If so, did you drive it in Drive, or did you put it into manual mode and shift it yourself?

I'll agree that passing power is lacking if you leave it in drive, but in Manual, it's feels faster than a my old Duratec Contour. I have only driven the 3 in Drive one time, its more fun and faster to shift when YOU want, than when the car feels like it.

If you didn't drive it in manual mode, do yourself a favor and try it. When you put the car into drive, pull the shift lever to the left. A "M" will light up on the dash. Now you are in manual mode. From here, accelerate, when the car gets near the redline in each gear, pull the gearshift backwards. This will upshift. If you need to downshift to pass or when you exit a curve, push the gearshift foward. A word of caution: The car will not upshift by itself, you will hit the rev limiter. However, it will automatically downshift into first at a stop, so be prepared to upshift when you need to pull away.

BTW, when I said the Matrix wouldn't be comfortable, I didn't mean on short trips. Drive it for 3 or 4 hours. The realationship between the seat, pedals, and steering wheel gets tiring. Its almost like the steering wheel is too close, and off center.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: no more Fords for me - 09/20/05 05:07 PM
... it has that unkillable Toyota reliability,

Not what it used to be IMHO. Corolla, new engine at 38,xxx miles. My 80 year old mother drives it so you know it wasn't abused. Warranty help? Forget it.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: no more Fords for me - 09/20/05 05:11 PM

BTW, when I said the Matrix wouldn't be comfortable, I didn't mean on short trips. Drive it for 3 or 4 hours. The realationship between the seat, pedals, and steering wheel gets tiring. Its almost like the steering wheel is too close, and off center.

I went through something like that in the 6 when I rented one. Was a great car but I couldn't get comforatable. Drove to Atlanta from south Florida - 9 hours or so with a meal. I felt like I spent the day wrestling a gorilla.

Then I drove my Contour home.... Aaaahhhhh!
Posted By: cheapest GL around Re: no more Fords for me - 09/20/05 10:25 PM
You were driving a 3s with an auto correct?

Right. I also tried a 3i manual. (I pretty much bracketed the whole range of options by trying the leather-seated Grand Touring wagon and the stripped base sedan.) I did try out the manual-auto shifter, but I didn't try going down to third for freeway passing, I only tried fourth. I think I revved about 4000.

Also, this was a low-emissions engine with no VVT, since I'm in California. This may affect the passing power.

I previously said there was no real price advantage of a Matrox over a 3... WRONG! I forgot that the Matrix is also sold as the Pontiac Vibe, which currently has employee discount plus rebate... I just got a quote that was $2500 below what I'd probably pay for a 3s wagon, maybe $3000 below. I think that just reopened the consideration a bit.

But I'd have to buy it before the end of the month, when I haven't been paid yet...
Posted By: red99sesport Re: no more Fords for me - 09/21/05 02:53 AM
If you had a low emissions version, you didn't get the power mine has. Also, a 3i has a 2.0L while a 3s has a 2.3. I have a VVT 2.3L s sedan with the auto. If I need to pass from 60, I double downshift into second, stay in second from 5k to 6k, then upshift into third, hold it to 6k, then upshift into forth. It takes me from 60 to 90 in no time at all. However, I understand that that is driving it a little hard.

If you can get a Pontiac Vibe for less than a 3, I'd say go for it. A vibe is a better looking car than a Matrix by far. I actually considered getting one, but I ended up leasing, and it was cheaper for me to lease a Corolla that cost more than a Vibe, because the residual value on a Vibe is sucky.

Either one you chose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. They are both reliable, new cars. Not having to worry about paying for repairs is a great thing.
© CEG Archives