Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: liquidX Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 06:34 PM
Well, ever since my tour was decomissioned, so was my stay at CEG. I just needed a break from the whole car modding scene and needed to concentrate on the neccesary things in life, like getting the car put back together again. Pictures are coming soon. So far the following things have been done...

Done
1.) B&G Autobahn Springs
2.) New SVT Struts (Got em for a song)
3.) New front strut links

Pending
4.) New Tie Rod ends (Sitting in living room)
5.) New Wiper arms (Sitting in living room)
6.) Paint Rear view mirrors to match
7.) Paint Oval on new grill to match
8.) New headlights (Living room)

Just waiting for my bumpers to be done, and I will be on the road again. Feels good to be back... holla.

XL
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 06:38 PM
Hey Welcome back X! Wondered where you went. Whats with the SVT struts and B&G's? . Good combo for the 20's, none the less. Hows everything going with you?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 07:12 PM
Welcome back. You didn't miss a whole lot. Some $1 sales on the classifieds (??????) and Chad getting banned for a few weeks for cuss words. Sorry, had to throw that in Chad.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Welcome back. You didn't miss a whole lot. Some $1 sales on the classifieds (??????) and Chad getting banned for a few weeks for cuss words. Sorry, had to throw that in Chad.

I'm a Baaaaaaaaad boy.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 07:18 PM
lol you were also banned for 2 weeks.
glad to see you got a lot done.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 07:23 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

HAHA, X got banninated, too!

...Sorry mods.. don't hurt me.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 07:30 PM
<----- Never been banned

Originally posted by Stry-ped:
HAHA, X got banninated, too!

...Sorry mods.. don't hurt me.

P.O.ed Ray a few times but he still loves me. Don't you, Ray? LOL.

Never been banned.

!
!
!
V
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 07:48 PM
Originally posted by liquidX:

1.) B&G Autobahn Springs
2.) New SVT Struts

have fun replacing those struts in a month when they're totally SHOT.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 08:19 PM
Originally posted by pole120:

1.) B&G Autobahn Springs
2.) New SVT Struts

He beat me to it. HA HA you got served!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 08:21 PM
GC's and Koni's to B&G's and stock struts? Have another.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 08:43 PM
Originally posted by todras:

HAHAHAHAHA
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 10:00 PM

For a post that YOU failed to see as "unacceptable" about 2 weeks after I replied to it again .

XL
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 10:02 PM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:

1.) B&G Autobahn Springs
2.) New SVT Struts

If I created a post with CEGr's that ran 20,000 plus miles on stock struts and lowering springs after already having them on for 50K or so, YOU would get served .
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 10:04 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Got the SVT struts nearly for free. Show me a better deal and I'll buy YOU a case .
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 10:05 PM
Welcome back. Behave yourself.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
Welcome back. Behave yourself.

I will try
Posted By: R_G Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/12/05 11:30 PM
Welcome back.

Posted By: Woodencross Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/13/05 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
<----- Never been banned

Welcome back!!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/13/05 05:31 AM

For a post that YOU failed to see as "unacceptable" about 2 weeks after I replied to it again .

XL

yeah sometimes work and buying a $300k+ house does that to my attention span
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/13/05 04:59 PM

XL

yeah sometimes work and buying a $300k+ house does that to my attention span

Posted By: Matty K Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 02:28 AM
About 30k on stockers with Ground Controls.... bouncy, but still going strong.

Vilkommen uh.... back.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 04:16 AM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:

1.) B&G Autobahn Springs
2.) New SVT Struts

If I created a post with CEGr's that ran 20,000 plus miles on stock struts and lowering springs after already having them on for 50K or so, YOU would get served .

Yeah, a lotta people do ride around on blown struts, sometimes never even realizing it. I guess you're sorta used to working on the suspension by now so it won't be too bad when you have to replace them.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Matty K:
About 30k on stockers with Ground Controls.... bouncy

it's bouncy BEAUSE the struts are blown...

no...i wouldnt...so go ahead and start that post whenever you're ready to prove yourself wrong.

Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 01:59 PM

Not necessarily. A strut does not have to be blown to show incompetence with a spring. It could simply be out performed and just not work to it's full potential. My car rode bouncey on stockers and GC's for about 2K miles before the kapoof, but that was GROUND CONTROLS and STOCK STRUTS with about 66K already on. Surprised they even did 2K before the piston would literally fall back into the valve body with just gravity .

no...i wouldnt...so go ahead and start that post whenever you're ready to prove yourself wrong.

Most CEGr's would probably be too scared of flamage to post. Not like they would not receive generous amounts of "you dumb idiot I don't care if you ran 80K with stockers and L-Springs, IT'S JUST WRONG and you are going to hell!!!" from people like you...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 04:14 PM
I went about 2 months on svt struts that had 50k miles on them with roush springs before they completely blew (which doesn't mean I couldn't drive on them, which is what anyone that says svt struts + lowering springs are fine are doing). Roush is like the highest lowering spring. So 2 months w/ the least drop available. I imagine new struts will last a bit longer. So in 4 months.........
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I went about 2 months on svt struts that had 50k miles on them with roush springs before they completely blew (which doesn't mean I couldn't drive on them, which is what anyone that says svt struts + lowering springs are fine are doing). Roush is like the highest lowering spring. So 2 months w/ the least drop available. I imagine new struts will last a bit longer. So in 4 months.........

Thank you...

X, i don't care what you THINK you know...the simple fact of the matter is that stock struts, SVT or non, ARE NOT designed to handle any kind of suspension drop and WILL fail(in a reasonably short time) even faster with the brutal 2.25" drop your putting on....

give it up

so once again i'ld like to say...

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:09 PM
Run with what you will, but no one should make bold statements that state that stock struts with a lowering spring is fine - it's not. Stock struts are not designed to work with lowering springs. Doing so will result in failure. How early they fail is dependent on numerous factors such as wheel/tire size, road conditions, driving style, etc.

X, you got a good deal yes, but ideally you want a strut that is designed to work with a lowering spring. My advice, sell the SVT struts for a small profit and get yourself struts that are designed to go with lowering springs.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:11 PM

Shows much knowledge about the average suspension knowledge in this place... I thought it was spring rates that primarily killed shocks, now it's spring height . For the records, if you are speaking of suspension travel, it is probably a 30% factor of strut affection. After that it's the spring rates that play a major role in a strut's life. Also, the actual coil's height has nothing to do with the ride height. It's the amount of dead coils and spring rate of the "stiff" coils that determine ride height (When struts are assembled they are always the same height regardless of the type of spring, and it's when you put the car down that you mean business). Also on a side note, my B & G Autobahn springs were slightly taller than even stock springs, thus helping my point.

XL
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:15 PM
Run with what you will, but no one should make bold statements that state that stock struts with a lowering spring is fine - it's not. Stock struts are not designed to work with lowering springs. Doing so will result in failure. How early they fail is dependent on numerous factors such as wheel/tire size, road conditions, driving style, etc.

X, you got a good deal yes, but ideally you want a strut that is designed to work with a lowering spring. My advice, sell the SVT struts for a small profit and get yourself struts that are designed to go with lowering springs.

Had some Kahlua with your coffee this morning Pete? I get your point though, and I never disagreed that it is better to use aftermarket performance struts with lowering springs nor made a contrary statement of such, ever. I only said that I was going with what I had just to solve a temporary fix as an economic alternative, and everybody just gave their $.50 cents. Oh well, to each his own. Pole you gonna come hunt me down and shoot me next?
Posted By: Davo Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:28 PM
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread, but I've had stock struts and H&R springs for almost three years and over 40,000 miles. The struts have just recently started to get bad.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Davo:
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread, but I've had stock struts and H&R springs for almost three years and over 40,000 miles. The struts have just recently started to get bad.

...Of course that's your opinion, you could be wrong
Posted By: Davo Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:30 PM

There isn't much opinion in what I said. It's all fact.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:38 PM
Also on a side note, my B & G Autobahn springs were slightly taller than even stock springs, thus helping my point.

XL

nice try

my 1.6" b&g's(same rear spring as you have with your autobahn set) are about 1" SHORTER than stock, as are the fronts, and i have pics top prove that if you need.....

and just to clarify, you said NOTHING about these struts being a temporary substitute, hance my first reply

Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:42 PM
Also on a side note, my B & G Autobahn springs were slightly taller than even stock springs, thus helping my point.

XL

nice try

my 1.6" b&g's(same rear spring as you have with your autobahn set) are about 1" SHORTER than stock, as are the fronts, and i have pics top prove that if you need.....

YET they drop more than 1" correct? Don't evade my point. I have only measured my front springs and the 2.25"ers were the same or a hair longer than stock, and about 1" longer than the front Intraxs. My point was that spring height has no play in ride height, it's stiffness does.

XL
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Davo:

There isn't much opinion in what I said. It's all fact.

The comment was sarcastic, but I am glad you are serious about this.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 05:50 PM
x....i'm leaving this damn thread alone....go on thinking you know what youre talking about and covering your own arse by backpeadeling. I'm very interested to see what that that thread of yours comes up with, as I know of several people that have blown struts after running mild drop springs.

have a great day

pole
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 06:28 PM
....Isn't "Spax" struts *basically* the same as the stockers? I know qutie a few guys are running those.

Who am I siding with? Neither. I'm sure they work... and they work well... but for how long? In Miami... a while. In Detroit... a few days.

I will side with the facists side here ( ), they WILL wear and blow and leave you in a giant firey ball of a wreck... but no time soon.

....And we all know ma boy X here, I'm sure these are VERY temporary for the time being.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 07:36 PM

Had some Kahlua with your coffee this morning Pete? I get your point though, and I never disagreed that it is better to use aftermarket performance struts with lowering springs nor made a contrary statement of such, ever. I only said that I was going with what I had just to solve a temporary fix as an economic alternative, and everybody just gave their $.50 cents. Oh well, to each his own. Pole you gonna come hunt me down and shoot me next?

Fixed! It's been a fast paced Monday.

Maybe I missed it, but no where did I see you post that it was a temporary fix. If that's the case, then I assume you will be buying appropriate struts, which is what you should be doing the first time around.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 08:10 PM
when times are tight you run what you've got...i had to run coilovers on used svt struts...its been about three months who knows the mileage on them..mark could tell me..but there still fine i would assume 50k+...know that i have some extra money i'll be running eibachs...and bat struts..
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 08:14 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
when times are tight you run what you've got...i had to run coilovers on used svt struts...its been about three months who knows the mileage on them..mark could tell me..but there still fine i would assume 50k+...know that i have some extra money i'll be running eibachs...and bat struts..and MSDS.. and sweet ass paint... and new rims... and a SVT motor... and a platinum plated grill/mesh... and I'm gettin' my grille all platinumed up and it's gonna say "Nasty Tour" on the top and "Tour Nasty" on the bottom. Blang blang west side Fity cent, w00t!

WOW! Nice!
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 08:21 PM
when times are tight you run what you've got...i had to run coilovers on used svt struts...its been about three months who knows the mileage on them..mark could tell me..but there still fine i would assume 50k+...know that i have some extra money i'll be running eibachs...and bat struts..and MSDS.. and sweet ass paint... and new rims... and a SVT motor... and a platinum plated grill/mesh... and I'm gettin' my grille all platinumed up and it's gonna say "Nasty Tour" on the top and "Tour Nasty" on the bottom. Blang blang west side Fity cent, w00t!

WOW! Nice!

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 08:23 PM

WOW! Nice!

??? nice ,very nice..although i really do like the "Tour Nasty" plate idea ...pre98 no grill to get platinumed up..
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 11:17 PM

Shows much knowledge about the average suspension knowledge in this place... I thought it was spring rates that primarily killed shocks, now it's spring height . For the records, if you are speaking of suspension travel, it is probably a 30% factor of strut affection. After that it's the spring rates that play a major role in a strut's life. Also, the actual coil's height has nothing to do with the ride height. It's the amount of dead coils and spring rate of the "stiff" coils that determine ride height (When struts are assembled they are always the same height regardless of the type of spring, and it's when you put the car down that you mean business). Also on a side note, my B & G Autobahn springs were slightly taller than even stock springs, thus helping my point.

XL

Ok, lowest spring rate. Happy?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/15/05 11:19 PM
....Isn't "Spax" struts *basically* the same as the stockers? I know qutie a few guys are running those.

Nope. They are made for lowering springs with better valving and a shorter shaft. You're thinking about the kyb's or whatever they are.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/16/05 01:10 AM
Ok, lowest spring rate. Happy?

LOL
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/16/05 01:11 AM

Nope. They are made for lowering springs with better valving and a shorter shaft. You're thinking about the kyb's or whatever they are.

KYB's.. thats what I was thinking.
Posted By: Matty K Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/17/05 03:48 AM

Dude, that's [censored] amazing! You just diagnosed my car from over a thousand miles away, without even seeing it! Are you some kind of psychic? Creeeeeeepy.....

Bounce does not blown strut make. I know, because I've had blown struts. These are not they. Get me? Admittedly, the SVT struts don't like the GC's much, but I don't have the finances lined up at the moment to swap to something new. Ah, the joys of e-thugging blanket statements.....
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/17/05 03:55 AM

Bounce does not blown strut make. I know, because I've had blown struts. These are not they. Get me?

I don't. You talk funny. Bounces do make svt strut with roush spring my car blown. They are these. Me get?
Posted By: Matty K Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/17/05 04:00 AM
Quite. Care for a spot of tea?

edit: I'll clarify: bounce does not NECESSARILY blown strut make. Fiddlysticks.
Posted By: SAV Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/17/05 04:23 AM

Bounces do make svt strut with roush spring my car blown.

So your car was bouncing and you got blown?

-SAV
Posted By: liquidX Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/17/05 01:02 PM
Originally posted by SAV:

Bounces do make svt strut with roush spring my car blown.

So your car was bouncing and you got blown?

-SAV

Blown SAV strut make blown
Posted By: Matty K Re: Back after a short vacation - 08/17/05 04:54 PM

Do you realize what you're SAYING?!

....No, seriously, do you? 'Coz I have no idea. And the quoting's gone out of control! (::Sum41:: Out of control..... Out of control.....::/Sum41::)

Greatness is to be found in this thread.
© CEG Archives