Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 CEG Finances - 07/16/05 06:56 PM
We're running out of funds... As it stands right now, we won't have enough to cover the web hosting costs when it renews for the month on Aug 11. We're at $33 and the monthly charge is $99.

Little help please!

You can paypal to lkinley@contour.org

-Lance
Posted By: m!key Re: CEG Finances - 07/16/05 07:08 PM
ummmmmmmmmm, where is the cashola from SZ raffles? they raised somewhere near $1500.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: CEG Finances - 07/16/05 08:00 PM
I'm more than willing to help out with the costs involved with OUR SITE. But first, contact Jim and Mark. Like Mike said, there was over a $1000 raised at the SZ05 raffles.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/16/05 09:56 PM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
I'm more than willing to help out with the costs involved with OUR SITE. But first, contact Jim and Mark. Like Mike said, there was over a $1000 raised at the SZ05 raffles.

And Jim has contacted Lance SEVERAL times about getting him the money.

Mark
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: CEG Finances - 07/16/05 10:05 PM
Not to worry Lance. August WILL be covered in plenty of time. I will see to it personally.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/17/05 04:13 AM
if needed ill be happy to donate more, but as it was stated the SZ raffeles should more than cover us for a while. $25 of that is my donation!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/17/05 04:00 PM
Mark, Lance has contacted me. Im just in the process of transferring the funds from my savings account to paypal.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/17/05 07:44 PM
I bought some tickets at SZ for the raffle but if needed I will send more money

Lance what paypal address can we send money to?

Also I think we should run a fundraiser or something like we did in the past, alot of new people here, they should be willing to chip in I hope
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: CEG Finances - 07/17/05 07:47 PM
At the SZ raffle i had $60 into it
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: CEG Finances - 07/17/05 08:00 PM
I think its about time to switch servers then. $99 monthly charge? thats rediculous.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: CEG Finances - 07/17/05 08:07 PM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
I think its about time to switch servers then. $99 monthly charge? thats rediculous.

I would suggest keeping the server as it is now doing fine. Lance, if the SZ raffle money doesn't pan out, let us know. We will contribute to keep the site going.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 12:25 AM
Originally posted by brapple:

lol put the disaronno down and reread Lance's post
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 02:41 AM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Originally posted by brapple:

lol put the disaronno down and reread Lance's post

I haven't had that in awhile, and yes I noticed that right after I posted, my mistake
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Lance, if the SZ raffle money doesn't pan out, let us know. We will contribute to keep the site going.

If the SZ funds don't cut it, then I'll be looking to see if Lance has any new $1300 purchases .

As we told everyone at SZ05, the funds raised would be going to Lance to keep the site running. I think it's awesome that the people that attended could support contour.org for nearly a FULL YEAR! You really should give yourselves another pat on the back!

Mark
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 03:40 AM
If that doesn't cover it, let us know. Since I couldn't be at SZ, I still want to help if necessary!
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 10:31 PM
just had a thought, maybe we could do a thing where those who donate get there forum names to stand out a bit

I was jus thtinking something like using the area under the name where it says what type of member everyone is could say something towards how a member donated, or maybe do it by the color of the name

just a thought
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 10:35 PM
No I don't like it. I don't care who donated or how much they donated and I don't want it showing up under our screenames or anywhere else.

I have seen other boards where it is under your name and I think it detracts from the general feeling of everybody being in this together.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 10:40 PM
$100 sent. Ill start filtering the SZ fund to you monthly. Thanks again Lance.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/18/05 10:42 PM
Originally posted by moxnix:
No I don't like it. I don't care who donated or how much they donated and I don't want it showing up under our screenames or anywhere else.

I have seen other boards where it is under your name and I think it detracts from the general feeling of everybody being in this together.

good point, I just feel alot of the new people will not donate anything, more so because they didn't have to go through almost loosing this great resource and community that we have

I was just thinking how PBS gives you something for your donation as a thank you, that is what I was trying to get at, but obviously there isn't a way to give anyone anything tangable nor should there be the need

if you think about it I would bet those with the highest post counts would be the ones donating anyway and that shows already

how about it from a pride standpoint, it would so you care about what is going on here?
Posted By: Tisby Re: CEG Finances - 07/20/05 08:09 AM
Maybe we could get a run of those cool "www.contour.org" stickers and if you donate a certain amount or more, then you get one free. However, it sounds like SZ is going to keep us alive for awhile...
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: CEG Finances - 07/20/05 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Tisby:
Maybe we could get a run of those cool "www.contour.org" stickers and if you donate a certain amount or more, then you get one free. However, it sounds like SZ is going to keep us alive for awhile...

I was thinking of this too when brapple mentioned PBS except that I think most CEGs would not like stickers on their bumpers.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/20/05 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Tisby:

I was thinking of this too when brapple mentioned PBS except that I think most CEGs would not like stickers on their bumpers.

I don't have mine on my bumper, they are in the rear side windows
Posted By: snakous Re: CEG Finances - 07/20/05 07:36 PM

Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 01:53 AM

Yeah you know what you are talking about. Not!

The server has had rough 99.9% up time since the relocation to a COLO. We have virtually unlimited bandwidth, 100% control of the OS, and we don't have to maintain the hardware.

I hosted it for 2 years on an ailing server, prior to that it was at MMars house which had frequent power outages.

Oh and BTW the $100 a month is half what we paid before simple for the highspeed line. So we have made effort to cut costs.

If you have any more questions let me know.

-Andy
Posted By: Davo Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 02:11 AM
^^^^^^

Compared to what I know other forums cost, we get a hell of a deal here. Anyone know what our monthly bandwith usage is?
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 02:14 AM
1000 GB Data Transfer per month is our alotted.

-Andy
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Davo:
Anyone know what our monthly bandwith usage is?

it's insanely high, that's why we gotta ban you little brats now and then.

(smiley = j/k for those that take things too seriously)
Posted By: Davo Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 01:15 PM
<<<<<<< Never been banned.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 01:20 PM
<<<<<<<<< come close a few times

~Andrew
Posted By: Woodencross Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 09:05 PM

Posted By: Frosty Re: CEG Finances - 07/21/05 09:30 PM
Originally posted by 99SESPORT:

Good to hear that we have the cashola to keep goin. I will be at SZ next year contributing a portion of my bank acct.
Posted By: Bill @ SigLM Re: CEG Finances - 07/25/05 07:38 PM
Guys,

I am moving to a new dealer at the end of the month, Team Ford (www.teamfordlv.com). I will be able to get maybe $50 per month for advertising money if I can post a banner ad or get my own space on the forums. I finally have a company that is behind me 100% and will allow me to do things I never did before.

Let me know if this is do-able.

BTW, the site has not revamped yet, that is part of my job and will have the online catalog like Signature did. Do not bother calling Signature after 08/01/05 as they are dropping the Inet parts sales as soon as I leave.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: CEG Finances - 07/25/05 08:31 PM
cool. i had some parts to order from you so i guess ill just wait till your ready at your new gig.
Posted By: Bill @ SigLM Re: CEG Finances - 07/25/05 09:06 PM
Ya it should be pretty cool. They are SVT and Roush certified, so maybe I can get some Roush stuff cheap. They are letting me advertise and I will be upgrading to a newer online catalog that is easier to use and track shipments.

The store itself is only 5 years old and is clean as a Hospital. The owner even has his personall GT(40) on the showroom floor.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/25/05 11:50 PM
How many parts must I buy from you for us to borrow the Ford GT for an evening?

Bill, you should mention this in a new, separate posting.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: CEG Finances - 07/26/05 12:50 AM
I see some money has been sent to Lance, but are we still hurtin for $$$?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: CEG Finances - 07/26/05 01:19 AM
Bill - ignore my voicemail

-Phil
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: CEG Finances - 07/26/05 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Kane:
I see some money has been sent to Lance, but are we still hurtin for $$$?

I got the impression that the funds were gonna be sent on a monthly basis?? Has the SZ '05 money been secured at this point? I was gonna contribute, but I also have a windfall coming in October if I can wait till then...
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: CEG Finances - 07/26/05 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Andy W.:

Yeah you know what you are talking about. Not!

The server has had rough 99.9% up time since the relocation to a COLO. We have virtually unlimited bandwidth, 100% control of the OS, and we don't have to maintain the hardware.

I hosted it for 2 years on an ailing server, prior to that it was at MMars house which had frequent power outages.

Oh and BTW the $100 a month is half what we paid before simple for the highspeed line. So we have made effort to cut costs.

If you have any more questions let me know.

-Andy

I have made website for local bands in the past so I am familiar with the way things work. BUT, I overlooked the whole "Data Transfer" area. The site sure would need a lot to keep it up.
Posted By: jerseyca�10 Re: CEG Finances - 07/27/05 08:38 PM
Why are those funds only being transferred $100 at a time? Why not the whole $1500?
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: CEG Finances - 07/27/05 09:39 PM
Lance has ..."addictive problems" with certain "clubs" in the area...we need to IV him the money
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 02:40 AM
Originally posted by CSVT985:
Lance has ..."addictive problems" with certain "clubs" in the area...we need to IV him the money

Gentlemens clubs???
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 06:19 PM
Ha ha... funny.

We're ok for August.

On another financial note, I'm considering dumping UBB.threads for vBulletin. I've avoid upgrading versions of UBB because of some nasty bugs in every major release and their support is $125 a year for downloading new versions.

vBulletin costs $160 and then $30 a year for maintenance. They do have an import script and vBulletin is very robust -- many very, very large sites use it.

-Lance
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
vBulletin costs $160 and then $30 a year for maintenance. They do have an import script and vBulletin is very robust -- many very, very large sites use it.

Any chance that info (forums) would be lost in the changeover?

Whatever saves CEG money. I't not much, but I will continue to do the group buy and donate Calendar proceeds each year.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 06:51 PM
On another financial note, I'm considering dumping UBB.threads for vBulletin.

I like vBulletin. Sites that I've used with it have avatars and no aliases: are those settings? I would assume so, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't mind not having aliases, and if we could get avatars (I know they're disabled now) that would be cool. If I have DSL now almsot everyone must!
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 08:13 PM
i would hate to lose everything we already have. then we cant tell people to search!

i guess it would re-open all the good debate topics

on second thought, lets not ever think about that. i too would like to save money, but i dont know if its worth losing all of our info.
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 08:23 PM
"Lance Kinley " planning on starting any other car groups like a fusions group or have you already done so?
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 08:59 PM
vBulletin has an import for UBB threads -- no info would be lost.

I'm also mulling over the idea of abandoning the existing FAQ sections for a wiki, along the lines of wikipedia.

No, I'm not going to start any other car sites! Too much work, and I barely have enough time for CEG.

-Lance
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 09:01 PM
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:
"Lance Kinley " planning on starting any other car groups like a fusions group or have you already done so?

"Boy, I don't understand a word that just came out of your mouth." - Farmer from Napoleon Dynamite

Lance started CEG because he owns a Contour. I'd be willing to bet that a Ford Fusion owner will start a forum dedicated to..... Ford Fusions.

Mark
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 09:12 PM
I'm also mulling over the idea of abandoning the existing FAQ sections for a wiki

AWESOME idea. As a c2.com wiki addict, I think that a wiki would be a great way to keep the FAQs more fluid. They stagnate VERY quickly, and this would allow more info from threads to be available in a non-time-sensitive format.
Posted By: rouar Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 09:50 PM
I'm a fan of the Wiki idea too. I've taken issue with the facts that our main site FAQs are separated from the forum FAQs, making it sometimes difficult to find something (e.g. hazing headlights is on the main FAQ site but also has updated info in a forum sticky FAQ.). Wiki would make a nice integration of the two, assuming it's not abused

Not sure about VBulletin; then again it's probably because the few sites I've seen use it in a bouncy-90s-gaudy-bubbly way (bright colors, 3D graemlins, other eye candy) that distracts me from the content. I've gotten too used to CEG's almost-too-flat theme with UBBThreads
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 09:53 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
assuming it's not abused

I've considered that too. My thinking is that if it's limited to FAQs, there will be no real interest in screwing around with it.
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: CEG Finances - 07/28/05 10:00 PM
I don't think it will be abused, wikis tend to police themselves. Yes, anyone can write to them, but any one can delete too, so if someone says something stupid, then all it takes is another person noticing it and deleting it. And if it gets out of hand you can always lock them.
Posted By: SAV Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 12:35 AM
Originally posted by SVTatGT:
I don't think it will be abused, wikis tend to police themselves. Yes, anyone can write to them, but any one can delete too, so if someone says something stupid, then all it takes is another person noticing it and deleting it. And if it gets out of hand you can always lock them.

I vote myself for Wiki Moderator! It'd be a nice addition to my map moderation.

Ok. Seriousness:

I'm all for a good evolve of the website. It's been a good few years now and we could use a little bit of change. Help keep us more innovative than that of our boys on the other side of the pond. Could stand to lose a few knucklebrains in the process.

-SAV
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 12:47 AM

The only problem is that all it takes is one person who thinks they know what is "correct" and what isn't, to decide to delete useful stuff. I've seen a couple "faq" posts that were so far off base they didn't warrant even remembering, much less a sticky. I'd hate for that person to be able to author a "faq" for all to read.

Ray
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 12:52 AM
Yes, but those will be very quickly shut down. You can bet I'll pull out lots of "owned" pics when people post bad FAQs! And if there's a general rule that all Wiki posts must be discussed in a thread first, that will help tremendously.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 01:08 AM
So can we get an amount here...how much we have vs. how much more we need? I'd be willing to lend a hand.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 01:19 AM
I'm also mulling over the idea of abandoning the existing FAQ sections for a wiki, along the lines of wikipedia.

As Ray stated, FAQ abuse would be an issue. The moderators have a difficult enough time policing the forums - how out of control would a wiki be and how much flaming would ensue in the forums as a result of such abuse?

I would prefer to see FAQs limited to the moderators of the respective forums. The forums I moderate have suggestion boxes that allow anyone to contribute anything. There is no "stagnation" in the forum FAQs.

There are only two problems I see right now:
1. the FAQ / How-to separation between the main site and the forums
2. moderators who do not keep FAQs and stickies up to date and clean

IMHO, change the forums, but leave the FAQs / How-tos in the hands of those who you (Lance) know you can trust.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 01:21 AM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

As Ray stated, FAQ abuse would be an issue.

The forums I moderate have suggestion boxes that allow anyone to contribute anything.

Thats if you don't get voted off the island...

.... Oh you know you're my favorite Mod.. and Sav is a last place 2nd.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 01:32 AM
stdrivers.co.uk changed it's forum to Fusion BB. They didn't lose anything.

If we need some $ for the possible changeover, I'll help out...
Posted By: Nate S Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Kane:

If we need some $ for the possible changeover, I'll help out...

Same! Would be more than willing to pay what $ is needed for a revamp of the site.
A little change would be nice as long as the forum info was retained.
Posted By: Aspire Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 02:17 AM
I would like to take part in this board for some time to come so count me in for a donation when we get a concensus. In the meantime I have paypalled $20 to lkinley@contour.org
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 04:52 AM
So can we get an amount here...how much we have vs. how much more we need? I'd be willing to lend a hand.

As was said, we raised just over $1200.00 at Spring Zing 05 which is ALL being donated to CEG to keep the site going. The money will be paypal'd to Lance in monthly increments.

Mark
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

As Ray stated, FAQ abuse would be an issue. The moderators have a difficult enough time policing the forums - how out of control would a wiki be and how much flaming would ensue in the forums as a result of such abuse?

I would prefer to see FAQs limited to the moderators of the respective forums. The forums I moderate have suggestion boxes that allow anyone to contribute anything. There is no "stagnation" in the forum FAQs.

There are only two problems I see right now:
1. the FAQ / How-to separation between the main site and the forums
2. moderators who do not keep FAQs and stickies up to date and clean

IMHO, change the forums, but leave the FAQs / How-tos in the hands of those who you (Lance) know you can trust.

I also agree with you , Pete .
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Aspire:
I would like to take part in this board for some time to come so count me in for a donation when we get a concensus. In the meantime I have paypalled $20 to lkinley@contour.org

I see you've been here for several months, but welcome anyway! Your offering is appreciated.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ray:

The only problem is that all it takes is one person who thinks they know what is "correct" and what isn't, to decide to delete useful stuff. I've seen a couple "faq" posts that were so far off base they didn't warrant even remembering, much less a sticky. I'd hate for that person to be able to author a "faq" for all to read.

Ray

I'm not up on alot of what's being discussed here, but I can see what Ray is talking about becoming a real problem. How many times have we seen threads that have mutated into something totally different from their original subject? I've seen simple subjects turned into flame wars. What if one of the posters simply decides to start deleting or changing what he doesn't agree with?
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 11:49 PM
I paypaled $30US. It's not much but it's a start until I can contribute more.

Aaron
Posted By: Nate S Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 11:53 PM
Sent $30 tonight to Lance as well
Posted By: lsneo Re: CEG Finances - 07/29/05 11:56 PM
can i send a check?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/30/05 12:35 AM
donation made
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 07/30/05 01:16 AM
I'll be sending a PM to your inbox about an offer. Keep an eye out for it.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: CEG Finances - 07/30/05 03:07 AM
Donated, thank you Lance for all your work in keeping CEG alive.
Posted By: path914 Re: CEG Finances - 07/30/05 04:56 PM
Thanks Lance! Donation sent
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: CEG Finances - 08/01/05 01:59 PM
Instead of updating, why can't we just have 1 or 2 webmasters help keep the gateway site up to date with the FAQ's and such?

Replace the moderators that dont do their job!

I owned/coded a site up until 3 days ago, when my hosting provider deleted my site permanently for eating through 4.17 gb of bandwith in a single day (collegehumor.com linked to my site)

So...im free now. I have HTML, JAVA, COBOL, C++ experience. If you need help Lance, please let us all know what requirements you need to be met, I am sure there is someone on here that is far more skilled than me...I dont get my degree until June of next year.

This would help to keep us from upgrading. While eye-candy and upgrading seem desireable....this forum in its present state is in perfect functioning condition. Why mess with a good thing?

Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: CEG Finances - 08/06/05 05:44 PM
donated!!!

yeh i think we need to reform the moderators, cuz i dont even see some of them around
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: CEG Finances - 08/06/05 06:45 PM
Paypal says you got the cash. Enjoy!

Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 08/11/05 11:59 PM
$100 sent.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: CEG Finances - 08/12/05 09:07 PM
Wow... totally forgot to donate when I posted a while ago.

Anyway, $75 sent.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/10/05 02:22 PM
another $100 coming your way!
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/25/05 07:11 PM
lance, can we can an update where we stand? still looking for more donations? surplus or deficit?
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 07:15 AM
The "almost-too-plain" look is relaxing compared to the crownded stuff I've seen. Avatars can be risque and is another thing to be watched. The cleanliness of the site is always why I can enjoy the information I find here.
A newer site is ok with me, as long as it has a search ALL FORUMS function, please, that's all I ask!
Posted By: unisys12 Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
A newer site is ok with me, as long as it has a search ALL FORUMS function, please, that's all I ask!

Hows about using Wiki's? Lance has mentioned that he is going to go that route, so I am reading up on that topic. Never saw one until last night and it seems pretty neat.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 12:30 PM

I second that! So hard searching every forum trying to find an old thread trying a few difference combinations. 4 tried under each topic because you don't recall where it is is a big time eater.
Posted By: MassContour Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 12:38 PM
Originally posted by todras:

I second that! So hard searching every forum trying to find an old thread trying a few difference combinations. 4 tried under each topic because you don't recall where it is is a big time eater.

I third that! Is my brake problem in troubleshooting, or is it the brakes forum? If I recall, we used to be able to do that, but then traffic got too heavy and all-forum searches were slowing things down.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 02:25 PM
The current CEG design works but IMO could be greatly improved upon. Honestly I like the graphical design of FCO alot better. Our site is almost too plain and simple looking. And the content on CEG is golden but it seems disorganized.

Whatever happens thanks to Lance and others who have kept this site running.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 07:55 PM
We will be updating to a new forum software. Can't give an exact date as we are waiting on the latest version to be released.

This site will still maintain the simplistic functional style it has now.

-Andy
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/29/05 08:04 PM
Yeah....boring rocks.

-Andy

Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/30/05 06:51 AM
We will be updating to a new forum software. Can't give an exact date as we are waiting on the latest version to be released.

-Andy

It is refreshing to return to CEG after having spent a few minutes on other sites. The simplistic form really has it's advantages. All of the stuff going on at Escape Central, for example, is extremely distracting.

We don't seem to hear from Lance much any more, but I would like to continue to express my appreciation for making this site available. I hope we still have it going strong for many years to come. I hope it is around when my car hits 300,000 miles.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: CEG Finances - 09/30/05 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

-Andy

It is refreshing to return to CEG after having spent a few minutes on other sites. The simplistic form really has it's advantages. All of the stuff going on at Escape Central, for example, is extremely distracting.

We don't seem to hear from Lance much any more, but I would like to continue to express my appreciation for making this site available. I hope we still have it going strong for many years to come. I hope it is around when my car hits 300,000 miles.

What I hope is that we can get a file or CD with all the troubleshooting etc information on it!! For a price obviously. I would buy it!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: CEG Finances - 09/30/05 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
..We don't seem to hear from Lance much any more, but I would like to continue to express my appreciation for making this site available. ..

He steps in when there is a problem. Other than that he lets us roam free.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=1052328&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=2&vc=1
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 09/30/05 05:19 PM
[hardworker]
Aaron.. You may not be so far off from what you're asking.. [hardworker]

Ray
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 03:33 PM
i have heard rumors that this site only cost $300 a year, and a couple people are ripping off the CEG community.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 03:37 PM
Interesting where did you get this information from!?

Pretty big accusation, and I won't throw the idea out, but you are gonna need some proof.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ZetecChris:
i have heard rumors that this site only cost $300 a year, and a couple people are ripping off the CEG community.

Ummmmm...who cares....
The site is ran off of donations. This isn't a pay to view site, there are no Gold Member standards (at least that you can pay for anyway). If you decide to donate for the info you use it's up to you to decide how-much.

So really no one is ripping you off besides yourself if you look at it that way...
Posted By: MxRacer Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 04:02 PM

considering it's a FREE site... i'm not sure how anyone could get ripped off. besides, i'm sure there are better ways to make money than skimming funds from this website.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 06:23 PM
A couple of things, most of which have been pointed out:

This site is free. Membership is free. Accessing the info is free. Getting help is free. Donating to the site is VOLUNTARY. If the site coss $300 to run and we donate $600, then the extra is used for the next year, upgrades, etc.

ZetecChris: If you have any information that you think is applicable to this remarkably large accusation, I would suggest you continue your efforts through PM. You are more than welcome to PM me and talk in confidence.

Ray
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:12 PM
and you people still wonder why i give him a hard time?

~Andrew
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:19 PM

Originally posted by �Ray�:

~Andrew

RUMORS....ok faggot
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:21 PM

~Andrew

RUMORS....ok faggot

ok, so you are making accusations based on a rumor. even better

oh, and that language WILL get you banned.

~Andrew
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:22 PM
then BAN me
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:23 PM
oh believe me, if I had that power...

~Andrew
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:23 PM
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:24 PM
again with the weaksauce. emoticons can't argue for ya kid.

~Andrew
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:26 PM
then BAN me

Chris...not even worth you getting all worked up over.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:27 PM
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:
then BAN me

so wait, a mod is sticking up for that kind of language? neat. let's all use curse words.

hector is a faggot ass cock sucking mother [censored] son of a [censored].

~Andrew
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:30 PM
then BAN me

so wait, a mod is sticking up for that kind of language? neat. let's all use curse words.

hector is a faggot ass cock sucking mothing [censored] son of a [censored].

~Andrew

No....I was saying there was nothing to get worked up over (trying to calm him down).....read before you post.

I will warn you though.....no more foul language from you or Chris. Anymore will get you banned.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:31 PM
then BAN me

~Andrew

No....I was saying there was nothing to get worked up over (trying to calm him down).....read before you post.

I will warn you though.....no more foul language.

how about you tell your little nut swinging friend chris to watch his mouth too? wait, no. we need to play favorites.

~Andrew

nice edit there slick
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:32 PM
then BAN me

~Andrew

I will warn you though.....no more foul language.

how about you tell your little nut swinging friend chris to watch his mouth too? wait, no. we need to play favorites.

~Andrew

nice edit there slick

Now both of you are warned.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:34 PM
that's fine, unfortunetly you already showed your favoritism by only warning me. you got caught though and your edit couldn't cover it up.

~Andrew
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:35 PM
that's fine, unfortunetly you already showed your favoritism by only warning me. you got caught though and your edit couldn't cover it up.

~Andrew

I have a right to edit....I felt I should warn both of you immediately afterwards.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:36 PM

~Andrew

I have a right to edit....I felt I should warn both of you immediately afterwards.

but your first thought was only me. thanks? terrific modding

~Andrew
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 08:54 PM
LOL. I think the word you guys use is OWNED.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 09:55 PM
I'M NOT WARNING... I don't care WHO you are.. there is entirely too much backtalking, and disrespect in this thread (and others...) If ONE person uses foul language again, they WILL be banned for a short vacation.

No bias... no worries... I ban on an equal opportunity basis. SERIOUSLY, now.. push it?

Ray
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: CEG Finances - 10/02/05 11:22 PM
... banned for a short vacation....
Ray

LOL. "for a short vacation".
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 12:04 AM
Can we please stick on topic!
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:35 AM
LOL, your sources are wrong.

Clarification!

This site cost $100/monthly, aka $1200/yearly, just for the Colo Server. This does not include colo maintenance or the administrative services provided Lance and myself. Not that Lance or I ever have or will make a dime, nor did MMars when he hosted it on his T1.

That was half what we were paying before.

I've been thru the details before, it's a great price considering the 100% uptime the last year and recockulous bandwidth.

PM me if you have any other question or you care to release you sources on our costs.

-Andy
Posted By: Airforce Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:41 AM

~Andrew

~Andrew

lol. for once i agreee with you. don't worry he's been using his power all day. He deleted like five of my post already. Or one of his cronies did.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Airforce:

~Andrew

~Andrew

lol. for once i agreee with you. don't worry he's been using his power all day. He deleted like five of my post already. Or one of his cronies did.

Read the post in CCEG.....stay ON TOPIC!
Posted By: Davo Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:43 AM
you sources on our costs.

I could probably take a stab at who that might be.
Posted By: Airforce Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Airforce:

~Andrew

~Andrew

Read the post in CCEG.....stay ON TOPIC!

sorry but I am more interested in CEG right now. take it to pm's if you have to say anything to me.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:45 AM
you sources on our costs.

I could probably take a stab at who that might be.

i'm sure we all could

~Andrew
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:47 AM
Again.. back on topic, guys.. not about these "rumors" or sources.. this thread was about donating money (or not.. you can choose to not donate).

Ray
Posted By: Airforce Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:49 AM
Again.. back on topic, guys.. not about these "rumors" or sources.. this thread was about donating money (or not.. you can choose to not donate).

Ray

can we make a rumors or sources thread without it being locked?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/03/05 01:52 AM
You can make a rumors/sources PM that I won't lock.

EDIT:

Originally posted by airforce:

sorry but I am more interested in CEG right now. take it to pm's if you have to say anything to me.

that was your own advice... so.. take it to PMs if you don't want to go to CCEG and talk about it.

/EDIT

Ray
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/04/05 08:33 PM
I'll just have to do that... for that rule violation and for purposely trying to stir up a frenzy.

Rumours...from where?

The site costs $99/month for hosting, plus forum software costs, plus domain renewal costs. The site was $124 per month when we had a support contract, but since we weren't using it, I dropped that $25/month option.

-Lance
Posted By: rouar Re: CEG Finances - 10/09/05 07:07 AM
With regards to the new software, can there be a request box for features we don't yet have? (I'm not talking avatars, sig pics or things that have been hashed over time and time again.) Since software will require some coding to be implemented anyway, I'm thinking might as well code requests at the same time before everything is transferred over.

For example, my request: if someone posts a huge pic or link on a page, then all of the posts are resized to fit that picture/link. I've seen some forum software that judges each post's width to the size of the window, rather than all of them as a collective ... the end result being one large picture does not force me to scroll side-to-side for each other post on that entire page.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: CEG Finances - 10/09/05 10:40 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
I've seen some forum software that judges each post's width to the size of the window, rather than all of them as a collective ... the end result being one large picture does not force me to scroll side-to-side for each other post on that entire page.

Yeah, I second that idea...

I don't notice it a whole lot on my desktop with it's 1600x1200, but on these old Gov't laptops, I got 1024x768. Really sucks.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 10/27/05 06:50 PM
I third Matt's idea. It is definately a pain in the butt.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 11/05/05 03:52 AM
incoming!
Posted By: rouar Re: CEG Finances - 11/24/05 08:10 PM
While we're on the subject, might as well mention things I like about UBBThreads and would like to see in the new software (whenever it's implemented! ).
- flashing PM notification on top of screen
- "Show all posts"
- User List and Who's Online
- that lightbulb thing to indicate new posts (bolding text works too for colorblind users; but some forums go to further measures to indicate new posts like changing colors or themes) ... also, the simple 'pin' icon for stickies rather than text indicating it is)
- Previewing post capability
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: CEG Finances - 12/01/05 12:41 AM
Any idea when this might happen?
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 04/09/06 09:52 PM
why not use google Adsense or something? we get alot of hits - maybe even a few $$ from that? one little banner won't kill the site
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: CEG Finances - 04/09/06 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Toadster:
why not use google Adsense or something? we get alot of hits - maybe even a few $$ from that? one little banner won't kill the site

But the point is we want to keep the site ad free.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 04/10/06 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Evil Republican:
Originally posted by Toadster:

But the point is we want to keep the site ad free.

i understand, but maybe make it a low-cost membership site - to remove ads for members, and keep the ads for browsers and non-memebers?

i dunno - it just seems to make sense...
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: CEG Finances - 04/10/06 01:45 AM
As long as it doesnt get as bad as SRTforums ill be fine! Nothing like having words hyperlinked to vendors in your post, or having Ad breaks in there too!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 05/21/06 02:48 PM
We raised $720 from the raffle this year. Money will still be sent monthly. Thanks everybody that supported!
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 12:38 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
We raised $720 from the raffle this year. Money will still be sent monthly. Thanks everybody that supported!

does that include elky's fundraiser? if not, how much total did the raffle and elky's fundraiser raise?

~Andrew
Posted By: RawBurt Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 01:41 PM

Not a problem
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Princess Tong Po:

does that include elky's fundraiser? if not, how much total did the raffle and elky's fundraiser raise?

~Andrew

Nope, that's just the money that came in from the raffle items. Elky's can brought in just over $200 he said. So just under $1000!! Good job everyone!

Mark
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 03:02 PM
Strikes me as a great time to list the sponsors of the raffle to let us know who donated items to support CEG.

I'll give sponsors first shot at my money. Thanks in advance to all those who help the CEG community!

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Strikes me as a great time to list the sponsors of the raffle to let us know who donated items to support CEG.

I'll give sponsors first shot at my money. Thanks in advance to all those who help the CEG community!

MSDS - Set of headers & y-pipe w/ ceramic coating
Mirko Racing - Mirko Splitter
SPEC - $100 off flywheel & $150 off clutch(combo)
Extrude Hone - Voucher for a pass for max extrude honing of UIM
J&S Engineering - Subframe connectors
Lo-Tek - 3 gauge pillar pod
CTA Motorsports - $200 voucher for KVR brake parts
Stazi - E1 brake pads & rotors
Pole120 - Set of front/rear poly roll resistors
Ford(Worldtour) - Two(2=) GT500 posters autographed by Carol Shelby

Mark
Posted By: Stazi Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

Next year, my name has to be in bold, on the shirts, seeing as you left me off this year.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

Next year, my name has to be in bold, on the shirts, seeing as you left me off this year.

I wasn't on the shirts last year
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 05/22/06 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

Im really sorry about that Stazi. I honestly dont remember getting a PM about you bringing SVT brakes. I just checked my 300 PMs in my inbox and I dont have any from you regarding that. Only thing I have is a couple PMs regarding my bad wheel bearing.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: CEG Finances - 05/25/06 02:19 AM
And next year I'll do something other than rock chip repairs. Maybe I'll have some products available from my soon to be new venture.
Posted By: ElKy Re: CEG Finances - 05/31/06 04:43 PM
$201 raised for the can!!!
Money being sent to Lance today.

© CEG Archives