Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:23 AM
Hello all,
Keith and I have been toying around with the idea of producing a lower priced turbo kit. The kit would be more basic than our current kits and would be non-intercooled. The kit would probably produce mid 200whp levels on a 2.5L engine. We would be able to offer these kits at a lower price than our current T28 and T3T4 kits. What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks
Shawn
Arizona Dyno Chip
Posted By: MLuko Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:32 AM
depends if it's lower than $3500.00 whats the drawbacks of running without an Intercooler?
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Tour4reak:
depends if it's lower than $3500.00 whats the drawbacks of running without an Intercooler?

The air intake charge would be hotter and you will not be able to run as much boost.
Posted By: MLuko Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:36 AM
Originally posted by ArizonaDynoChip:
Originally posted by Tour4reak:

The air intake charge would be hotter and you will not be able to run as much boost.

ahh, i'd probably be up for that. would i be able to run a Intercooler to it if i descided to later?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:36 AM
just use water injection as a replacement
Posted By: MLuko Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:38 AM
alright, i'd probably be up for it next spring after school gets out. and i dont know how well the engine with after 125k would hold to boost (it's got 119,250 right now)
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:40 AM
I would say "not only yes, but HELL YES" The MAJOR contributing factor to the purchase of a kit from ADC is the cost (not knocking the quality, or the cost, they are remarkable, and quality.)

Ray
Posted By: m!key Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:43 AM
listening.
Posted By: stilov Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:46 AM
Hey Shawn...I think you guys are great...you were awesome when I had the piston mix-up and I have never seen the kit in person, but I have no doubt that it is the finest quality around...
but I do think a less expensive alternative would be great...mostly because we all need to be honest...we drive contours, not BMW's. I may get slammed for saying this, but we don't 'need' that kind of quality...our cars were never meant to be of the caliber that the kit is built with.

I cheer on the movement for a less expensive turbo kit.
Posted By: tropictour Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 03:46 AM
I would like to see a price and what exactly would be in the kit. Sounds like a great idea for all the budget racers.
-tropictour
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 04:03 AM
Also, you may or may not realize this same thread was started some time ago in forced induction?

Here ya go!

Just thought you might like to see.

EDIT: Would it be possible to offer somthing that worked with stock manifolds/MSDS? That would be nice, but Im not sure if it would end up being cheaper after the extra R&D.
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 04:04 AM
sounds like a wonderful idea, i would love to show the coug some boost
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 05:03 AM
I was just looking at my ADC kit in great detail today. I have to say I am amazed by the quality of the kit everytime I inspect it. It really is something the owner and manufacturer can be quite proud of! Not to mention ADC is bar none in customer support. If the intercoolerless kit does go through I would think more people would consider that as the best option for F/I available to us due to the less expensive cost. Would that kit also come with the chip?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 05:23 AM
any chance on this "econo-kit" running....oh...i dunno....say $1k?

i had thought about the full blown kit too, especially since my tour is so "young" but after the cost of a kit, install, tuning it, tuning it some more, and tuning even more, plus an lsd/flywheel/clutch job.....i would probably be spending enough to warrant buying a Cobra (in addition to selling my tour)
Posted By: DopePope Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 05:36 AM
FYI Guys:

Originally posted by Keyser:

The cost would be about $3750 but would get you going. It would include:

T3/4 - .48AR and .57 trim
BOV
Tial
Chip
Water injection
fuel injectors
All piping mild steel
Misc hoses and fittings

It would use the same jig as the regular kit so an intercooler could be added late

Posted By: TjZ Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 06:13 AM
Any thought about a zetec kit?
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 06:31 AM
Originally posted by DopePope:
FYI Guys:

Originally posted by Keyser:

The cost would be about $3750 but would get you going. It would include:

T3/4 - .48AR and .57 trim
BOV
Tial
Chip
Water injection
fuel injectors
All piping mild steel
Misc hoses and fittings

It would use the same jig as the regular kit so an intercooler could be added late

We have different plans in mind for our lower priced kit.
Posted By: DopePope Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 07:59 AM
sorry, that quote was taken from the thread linked to above (about 'this' kit). if the plans are now different, whats the updated info?
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 11:19 AM
Id be very interested in hearing more about a lower priced kit, how good the tune will be. Because the longevity of the motor lasts in the tune.

I always get dissapointed when my buddy with a GSR tells me he can boost his car nearly 2 and a half times for every one kit on my car.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 11:31 AM
Interested!
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HoeClearanceStripper:
Interested!

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 12:45 PM
Originally posted by DopePope:
if the plans are now different, whats the updated (kit) info?

A lower priced kit would be great, but for a reasonable guestimate of interest, I think it would be smart to give a few kit details so we know what we'll be buying.

As for quality statements, BMW or not, I'll buy top quality for my car & am willing to pay the price for it. No bullfrog kits on my car, thank you.
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 12:55 PM
I have a ? .I'm probally going to get jumped on for having an atx but how come no one makes a kit for cars with atx?
I'm just curious.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 01:14 PM
Originally posted by skunk:
I have a ? .I'm probally going to get jumped on for having an atx but how come no one makes a kit for cars with atx?
I'm just curious.

Because it won't handle the power levels.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
I'm just curious.

Aka... *Ker-SNAP* If you think you have problems eventually under "normal driving condition"... just think of adding 100HP to it...and see how that lasts.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 01:25 PM
Any thought to using an internally wastegated T3 turbine housing to save costs further? It could simplify the hot side plumbing a decent amount, and it would delete the cost of the expensive Tial wastegate. Granted, boost control wouldn't be quite as good, but, in a non-max-effort setup, it shouldn't be a real issue.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 01:37 PM
I am blowing off and intercooling mine . Maybe a "top-mount" setup under the cowl...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 01:39 PM
Originally posted by XtrudeHoeing:
Maybe a "top-mount" setup under the cowl...

You're going to need a much larger cowl.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 02:15 PM
Maybe a "top-mount" setup under the cowl...

Yes, good luck with that!

Mark
Posted By: stilov Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 02:24 PM
I had a top mount on my home-made set-up. It wasn't under the cowl though.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 02:30 PM
Originally posted by stilov:
I had a top mount on my home-made set-up. It wasn't under the cowl though.

And IIRC, it was on the intake side, and not right on top of the UIM.

Mark
Posted By: liquidX Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 02:39 PM

Since it's a turbo kit that is not designed to use any intercooler at all, I was planning on going thin-core. Besides, I figured that a little cooling is better than NO cooling, so having something like what Dean Joyce has is obviously not my plan, not that the size would help any with such a low given PSI range anyway...

XL
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 02:45 PM

Since it's a turbo kit that is not designed to use any intercooler at all, I was planning on going thin-core. Besides, I figured that a little cooling is better than NO cooling, so having something like what Dean Joyce has is obviously not my plan, not that the size would help any with such a low given PSI range anyway...

XL

So are you going turbo or nitrous?

Mark
Posted By: liquidX Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
So are you going turbo or nitrous?

Mark

If I make my decision based on my budget (the angel on my right shoulder), nitrous it is. If I base my desicion on what I want (the devil on my left sholder), then I'll be boosting. I just closed on a lake front condo and here come a tsunami of bills so I see myself spraying by fall. Still contemplating the way each setup would go. Let's see how things turn out...

XL
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 04:02 PM
I'm just curious.

Aka... *Ker-SNAP* If you think you have problems eventually under "normal driving condition"... just think of adding 100HP to it...and see how that lasts.

Actually, if you don't go drag racing every day, the CD4E should hold up just fine for 250 hp or so - especially if you have an added cooler. 300 hp would be asking a bit much. I absolutely ABUSED my Contour V-6 tranny with a heavy foot EVERY DAY 'cause I just loved how that car drove - never had any tranny problems except for an overfill DAO error. (Dumb Azz Operator)

IIRC, I think the biggest problem with a turbo on the V-6 ATX was simply lack of room for all the components because the dang tranny is so much larger than the MTX. At least that's what I got out of the various threads on the subject. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted By: weasel Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
Any thought to using an internally wastegated T3 turbine housing to save costs further? It could simplify the hot side plumbing a decent amount, and it would delete the cost of the expensive Tial wastegate. Granted, boost control wouldn't be quite as good, but, in a non-max-effort setup, it shouldn't be a real issue.

Excellent idea. It also happens to be great for me as I have one lying around in the garage. All I'd need is the plumbing and to sneak it in the door past the Minister of Finance ( wife )
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 04:29 PM
Originally posted by weasel:

Excellent idea. It also happens to be great for me as I have one lying around in the garage. All I'd need is the plumbing and to sneak it in the door past the Minister of Finance ( wife )

$10 to keep my mouth shut!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 04:54 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by weasel:

$10 to keep my mouth shut!

LMAO!

$20, and I'll keep her distracted while you swipe your credit card.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 08:23 PM
Originally posted by svt4stv:
any chance on this "econo-kit" running....oh...i dunno....say $1k?

Wow - that's really funny. How 'bout another joke? :d
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 10:23 PM
I'm just curious.

I added about 70HP total to my Tour's ATX.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 10:31 PM
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:
I'm just curious.

Yeah, but now you are even with the regular Duratec ATX guys.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 10:44 PM
the atx is HUGE compared to the MTX.

after swapping to mtx i got this big empty space in my engine bay thats just begging to have a turbo there, of course i just gotta give in to the temptation

i forsee TONS of fitment issues trying to fabricate a turbo on an atx duratec car
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/28/05 11:04 PM
I'm just curious.

More around SVTs.
Posted By: ViggenPower Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 01:15 AM
I think this would be a great alternative to the larger, more expensive kits.

With these "cheaper" kits, would an upgrade to the more expensive kit down the road be plausible. Meaning would parts be simliar/interchangeable (i.e. injectors, manifold, piping, ect..)

*Interested

-Tim
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 02:02 AM
I wish i didnt have a ATX
Posted By: kontour_sev6 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:06 AM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:
I wish i didnt have a ATX

I feel your pain!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 04:36 AM
I'm just curious.

More around SVTs.

Touche'
Posted By: TjZ Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 05:42 AM
So no Zetec kit plans?
Posted By: NorthPole SVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 08:20 AM
cheap quality TURBO i am in!!!
Posted By: maverik_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:14 PM
Originally posted by NorthPole SVT:
cheap quality TURBO i am in!!!

I think you meant cheap, but quality turbo.
If I could ever save up the money, I am in too!
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:21 PM
you make one for the 2.0 zetec, and i will be the first one to buy it.....well depending on price.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:22 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Blowing up this Hybrid so I can build a low CR 3L w/ turbo AND Venom =

Mark
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:24 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

i didn't know stock CR was that high on contours!!!

~Andrew
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

~Andrew

It's not.. The 3L Hybrid's CR is that high though!

Mark
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:25 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

~Andrew

hybrid
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:27 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

~Andrew

It's not.. The 3L Hybrid's CR is that high though!

Mark

oh ok, gotcha. just out of curiosity, what is the duratec's stock CR?

~Andrew
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:28 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

Cough cough sell the hybrid .

Aaron
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:29 PM
Not sure about the SE's, but the SVT Duratec's are 10:1 and 10.25:1 depending on year.

Mark
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:30 PM
Originally posted by NVS SVT:
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

Aaron

Do I have a buyer?

Mark
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:34 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

Aaron

Do I have a buyer?

Mark

I'll trade you cars straight up
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 03:41 PM
~11.2CR + turbo =

Mark

Aaron

Do I have a buyer?

Mark

PM sent.

Aaron
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 04:15 PM
We are trying to keep this kit below $3500.
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 04:20 PM
need more details! i am very intrested in this offer... if this does fly, how soon will the kits be developed?
Not sure about the SE's, but the SVT Duratec's are 10:1 and 10.25:1 depending on year.

Mark

SE's are 9.7:1.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 08:48 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

Mark

SE's are 9.7:1.

so what are you guys doing to lower the CR for boost? sorry if this is a dumb question, but in the vr6 world we use stainless steel headgasket spacers, so i didn't know if something like that existed for duratecs.

~Andrew
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 08:52 PM
They're using lower CR pistons.

The turbo kits were made with the stock motor in mind. Even the SVT with it's high CR is fine with 10 intercooled psi, as a few here have proven.

Mark
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/29/05 08:57 PM
sounds good

i know on my vr6, the stock cr is 10:1 and 10-12psi is pushing the limits of that without having to drop it to 8.5:1 (SS spacer).

~Andrew
Posted By: CSVT EDDIE Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 03:05 AM
with this kit would i need any new internals? or would i be fine with a intake and optimized throttle body and new res?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 03:16 AM
A stock 00 SVT (10.31CR) ran 12-13psi on the T28 and put down ~320FWHP.

Who needs to lower compression???

The 250/250 range should be safe for any year. "WITH THE PROPER TUNING!"
Posted By: 111R Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 07:27 AM
ADC: lower priced turbo would be something to look into; not to mention that i have only heard good things about your t/c you have currently.

what would be perfect for me is a t/c that is available in california.
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 07:55 AM
The first kit may be available as soon as next month depending on our work schedule. I do not want to give to many details until we have everything figured out. I will keep everyone posted.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 07:59 AM
Repeat of a question asked above...

If ADC does go ahead and makes this lower cost kit for us, will it be able to be upgraded to the higher output kits that ADC currently offers?

Looking for an answer from ADC on this.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 03:52 PM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Repeat of a question asked above...

If ADC does go ahead and makes this lower cost kit for us, will it be able to be upgraded to the higher output kits that ADC currently offers?

Looking for an answer from ADC on this.

I would be very interested if this kit has room for upgradeability. I want a turbo, but cant justify spending 5k in one hit. If the kit were cheaper I would buy it, and then add to it a few hundred dollars at a time.
Posted By: morbid Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 07:01 PM
My thoughts exactaly! I'd rather upgrade over a period of time.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 07:17 PM
Gee Bee! Gee Bee! Gee Bee!!!
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 07:32 PM
The new lower price kit will use manifolds that are easier for us to make. With the new manifolds the turbo kit should work on the ATX.

The kit can be upgraded in the future to use the intercooler however the manifold design will not be as radical.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 08:17 PM

<<< ( Begins to cry tears of joy )

With the new manifolds the turbo kit should work on the ATX.

Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 08:26 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

<<< ( Begins to cry tears of joy )

With the new manifolds the turbo kit should work on the ATX.

Just hope that the ATX will be able to handle the additonal power, espicially if you plan to upgrade the turbo kit over time.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 08:46 PM
shawn, again, is there any talk of a turbo kit for the zetec?i would be very interested.
Posted By: morbid Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 09:26 PM
Does that mean the new manifold will not be as efficient? If so, would we be able to purchase the better manifold later?

Is the new manifold being used for your full turbo kit?

Thanks!
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 10:47 PM
Any plans for exhaust systems? A cheaper kit sounds like a good idea. I am assuming log style manifolds, like SF was originaly going to do. Still in stainless or I assume coated mild. Mild would definitly save on price.
Posted By: ArizonaDynoChip Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 06/30/05 11:30 PM
Originally posted by XxPlAyBoYpImPxX:
shawn, again, is there any talk of a turbo kit for the zetec?i would be very interested.

I would love to have something to offer you but we are not setup at this time to produce zetec turbo kits. We only have jigs and mach-ups for the 2.5l platform. Not to say that we will never but it is very costly for us to make these things.
Posted By: JB1 Re: Lower cost turbo kit from ADC?? - 07/01/05 12:21 AM
Originally posted by 111R:

what would be perfect for me is a t/c that is available in california.

with the communist air resources board we have here in kalifornia, good luck. just don't hoild your breath for it.
© CEG Archives