Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 96 M edition well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:32 AM
....and i'm not really interested in trying to find out why anymore ....i think its a sign to move on....i do appriciate the fact that it atleast made it to carlisle and back with no problems at all....its prob something as easy as a fuel filter..or wires,etc,etc.......my hearts just not in it enough to even bother working on it anymore......
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:43 AM
Sorry to hear 'bout your 'Tour . At least it didn't die on the way back from Carlisle . I'd feel REALLY bad about bustin' your stones about coming !! For what it's worth ... it looked/sounded great this weekend & it was great seeing you again .

Now get your arse out there & fix it !! LOL !
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:43 AM
Sorry to read this, your tour was always a great looking one. Maybe you can find a nice CSVT to fill the void.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:51 AM
thanks for the support guys...its kinda depressing...i'd really like to get another tour but all the v6 se's around here are autos...the only five speed is a 98 zetec...i'm not even gonna bother with my buddies csvt...he'll only get my hopes up again....i just dont understand it...its been running great...put 7 worth of premium...drive for about 6 miles maybe more and BANG it starts jerking and bucking...backfiring and shooting flames out of the tailpipes ..then if i leave it for about a hour it'll run fine for about a mile than same sh!t all over again..i tried dry gas and adding more premium...nothing....i'm stumped it could be a fuel filter,which i'll try tomorrow..if it doesnt work i'll be parting it out for sure
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:54 AM
Damn Chris, I'm really sorry.
I am glad that you were able to make it home without any problems.
Yeah, go fix her up.
Posted By: TGO Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 03:09 AM
I'd bet fuel pump or fuel filter. You've put oo much into that car to let it slip over ~$150 in parts.
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 03:28 AM
Want to sell it ? ?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 03:53 AM
Well you can leave it alone and sell it for $500 or fix it for $200 and get 3k out of it.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 11:28 AM
Chris, that's a bummer. I hope you are able to get it fixed, hopefully it's only something simple. Good luck.
Scott
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 12:06 PM
Try and fix it Chris!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 01:36 PM
It really sounds like a fuel pump or possibly a clogged cat, if you've still got one. I think cooler heads will prevail in this one and if you do get another car, what are you lookin' at?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 01:50 PM
no cats..........i changed the fuel filter,and cleaned the sock on the pump...it'll run fine for about .5 mile..and it will idle fine but as soon as i put any type of pressure on it it starts backfiring....now isnt backfiring a sign of too much gas?
Posted By: Stazi Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 01:56 PM
Sounds like a stuck injector.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
Try and fix it Chris!

Don't even think of selling her! She's just got a cold or a cough. You've got one the few truly unique pre 98's around. If the same thing happened to me, you'd be saying "fix it" to me too. It's just the Contour God screwing with you cause your car looks soooo good!
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:30 PM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Try and fix it Chris!

Don't even think of selling her! She's just got a cold or a cough. You've got one the few truly unique pre 98's around. If the same thing happened to me, you'd be saying "fix it" to me too. It's just the Contour God screwing with you cause your car looks soooo good!

..........wrong...if it was you i'd telling you to part that b!tch...that way i could pick up some stuff!!! ....how would i fix a stuck injector?...i have the 19lb ones...
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:38 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Try and fix it Chris!

..........wrong...if it was you i'd telling you to part that b!tch...that way i could pick up some stuff!!! ....how would i fix a stuck injector?...i have the 19lb ones...

Replace it

You can techically follow the UIM/LIM rebuild aide (from Ray) to get to the injectors. There was a set of 6 injectors in the classifieds a few weeks ago.. might still be there.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:54 PM
okay....dead post..i know i can replace it..but $$ that sucks...i met a guy at carlisle that had a rolled csvt..still runs fine, i'm buying it for 600 ...looks like i'll be doing a complete subframe swap..in the next week or so
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:56 PM
okay....dead post..i know i can replace it..but $$ that sucks...i met a guy at carlisle that had a rolled csvt..still runs fine, i'm buying it for 600 ...looks like i'll be doing a complete subframe swap..in the next week or so

WOW! Awesome man! You just going to do a powertrain swap?? Congrats on the find!
Posted By: Figols Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 02:59 PM
Before you go changing injectors, check your fuel pressure. You may have a bad regulator which will make you run rich, causing stalling and black smoke, BUT with the back fire from the exhaust it could be an ignition problem. You may want to check your ignition coil as a possible suspect. Usually when they go bad it will start and run until it heats up and shorts(could be seconds, minutes or hours). A bad ECT, TPS or MAF could also cause the same symptoms and it may not throw a CEL because the car wouldn't be running long enough to. Plugging it in to a diagnostic computer (NOT a code reader) should point out a dead or dying sensor in the short time the car will run.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Figols:
Before you go changing injectors, check your fuel pressure. You may have a bad regulator which will make you run rich, causing stalling and black smoke, BUT with the back fire from the exhaust it could be an ignition problem. You may want to check your ignition coil as a possible suspect. Usually when they go bad it will start and run until it heats up and shorts(could be seconds, minutes or hours). A bad ECT, TPS or MAF could also cause the same symptoms and it may not throw a CEL because the car wouldn't be running long enough to. Plugging it in to a diagnostic computer (NOT a code reader) should point out a dead or dying sensor in the short time the car will run.

^^^^^^^^

Looks like he didn't get the memo!
Posted By: Figols Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 04:13 PM
Originally posted by LilStrypedSVT:

^^^^^^^^

Judging by the times, looks like the "dead post" post went up as I was typing mine . Oh well, tried to help.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 04:15 PM

^^^^^^^^

Judging by the times, looks like the "dead post" post went up as I was typing mine . Oh well, tried to help.

btw i tried changing my maf,ecu,tps,fuel filter,cleaned sock.....only thing i havent tried is the wires,and pack..
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 04:19 PM

^^^^^^^^

I know... just messin with ya!
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 04:22 PM
Too bad Chris. It was a cool looking car, neat to see it at Carlisle. Someone there was scanning it for codes, and didn't find any. You should get the SVT and try to keep working on this one.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 09:21 PM
From another thread:

tour96se
Hard-core CEG'er

Reged: 03/09/03
Loc: rome, new york
Re: kid has a 95 SE v6 MTX but thinks it's an SVT
#963026 (Re: PlatoSVT) 06/07/05 04:41 PM Edit Reply Quote

i'll be dropping in a svt engine starting this weekend... ....waste of money?? maybe but when it comes down to it i'm only paying for towing it and my time to install it...after i sell the intake part of the engine it'll pretty much pay for the whole car

--------------------
2"true daul exhaust,unx udp,svt lim,uim,maf,19lbinj,65mm tb,sho shop cai,kkm filter,adc cst sct,cf hood,svt side,rear,front,white e1's,rev glw ggs,led rplmnts,svt springs,struts,e0 clprs,stazi mesh

Post Extras:
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 09:25 PM
she'll be resurected yet...not only engine swap but front brakes,front sway bar,interior....i'm winning that 1st place at carlisle next year..damn it
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: well the tour died - 06/07/05 09:26 PM
...maybe even win best csvt
....i drove out to the side of the road after work to check on her...started checking connections...when i looked down and noticed the crank shaft position sensor's wiring harness had decided to tango with the serpentine belt..and it lost ....so i spliced the wires.solered them,soltered them and taped them up...fired it up and drove it home with no problems....other than the battery light being on ..i hope the altenator didnt take a dump after only 7 months...as long as it gets me till i start the engine swap it make me no bother
Lol Chris. Sell it and get your SVT!!
....how about keep it and put a new heart in it??
If the battery light is on, I would check the alternator amp/fuse. I had that go a while back, its a 135 amp fuse and it set off hte battery light and i was losing power rather quickly and the alternation wasnt getting enough power to recharge the battery. Good luck w/ everything chris!
Glad you got her running again.
Hopefully it will be fine until the swap.
sh!t...the one on the altenator??!?!?!?!....i'm not changing that thing again...
I knew you'd keep the car, good job
sh!t...the one on the altenator??!?!?!?!....i'm not changing that thing again...

Its a pain in the a$$ i know!
Ya-hoo ! It's running again ... albeit with a small issue . At least you found the wiring problem rather quickly .
figured out that the csps harnes was split fixed that car ran fine...then the battery light came on...and the altenator sh!t the bed on my way to work this morning...
Didn't you replace the alternator just 7 months ago? I presume it was a new/rebuilt alternator? You most likely have a 1yr. warranty on it. You might be able to get it replaced. And I know, the labor is the b!tch of it all!

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Didn't you replace the alternator just 7 months ago? I presume it was a new/rebuilt alternator? You most likely have a 1yr. warranty on it. You might be able to get it replaced. And I know, the labor is the b!tch of it all!

Mark

damn son..and i thought i was observant thats exactaly when i replaced it....... yeah but the way i weighed it out...replace the altenator or replace the whole front subframe...it took me 9 hours to do the altenator..granted it wouldnt take me that long again..so i'm changing the front
Daaaaaamn!!! 9 hours for an alternator!! YIKES!! I haven't had to do my own yet, but I know that it took me about 3 hours of fighting with Jim's car to get the old one out and the new one in. Damn his turbo piping wrap has some sharp corners!

Mark
no air tools..and a broken brake line..
Yeah the broken brake line could be a doozy. I didn't use any power tools either. I'm not sure if they would help anyways, as the top bolts were such a pain in my arse to get out. I could probably get it done in well under an hour if I were to do it again, which is nice to know with my car having an original alternator with 80k miles.

Mark
we'll according to haynes manual it says to remove the suspension on the pasg side i think without airtools it took forever...
Bah! Taking the suspension off is a waste of time! You can do it with taking the wheel off and cranking the wheel.

Mark
© CEG Archives