Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JonnySVT PlEASE HELP with classified sale conflict - 06/02/05 06:00 AM
I sold my Mirko splitter to MxRacerCam. His emails to me go essentially as followed: Splitter still available? I am still interested. $220 shipped it is.
No request for pictures, no questions, no concerns, just short and to the point. Upon shipping it, he told me that if it was damaged during shipping, he would refuse shipment, etc. I was fine with that, not his fault not my fault. He received it today and now says that it has previously been repaired and done wrong, requiring at least $350 to fix it in order for it to be paintable. Since I told him nothing of this, I just mentioned stone ships, that he is exceptionally disappointed and is sending it back, expects a full refund and return shipping reimbursed.
I stated everything about its condition in the classified ad, should still be there if you want to read it, and sent pics to anybody who requested them. I mislead nobody nor lied, now this is happening. I , nor anybody in my consent has even attempted to repair anything on that splitter. There is NO damage on it that would sacrifice its structural integrity or appearance. There are even chips on the edge of the splitter that I had painted over the second time because I didn't feel like trying to repair anything, it is in good overall shape. He threatened to take this to Paypal and the FBI. I told him do what he wants as I have done nothing wrong. Anybody have any input or advice on steps I should take? Anybody agree with his logic or thinking? Thanx guys, i'm glad this site is here for times like these.
He failed to get questions answered, there are no guarentees on buying off a web forum if you ask me... I would always try to be as detailed as possible, and relist it on an ebay auction, and have the ad point to ebay... Safety reasons
Posted By: Pope Re: PlEASE HELP with classified sale conflict - 06/02/05 06:04 AM
if you have pictures of it before you shipped it, and copies of any emails you sent him and any he sent you, let him take it to paypal and the FBI, you can prove that you are not deceiving him.
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
I sold my Mirko splitter to MxRacerCam. His emails to me go essentially as followed: Splitter still available? I am still interested. $220 shipped it is.
No request for pictures, no questions, no concerns, just short and to the point. Upon shipping it, he told me that if it was damaged during shipping, he would refuse shipment, etc. I was fine with that, not his fault not my fault. He received it today and now says that it has previously been repaired and done wrong, requiring at least $350 to fix it in order for it to be paintable. Since I told him nothing of this, I just mentioned stone ships, that he is exceptionally disappointed and is sending it back, expects a full refund and return shipping reimbursed.
I stated everything about its condition in the classified ad, should still be there if you want to read it, and sent pics to anybody who requested them. I mislead nobody nor lied, now this is happening. I , nor anybody in my consent has even attempted to repair anything on that splitter. There is NO damage on it that would sacrifice its structural integrity or appearance. There are even chips on the edge of the splitter that I had painted over the second time because I didn't feel like trying to repair anything, it is in good overall shape. He threatened to take this to Paypal and the FBI. I told him do what he wants as I have done nothing wrong. Anybody have any input or advice on steps I should take? Anybody agree with his logic or thinking? Thanx guys, i'm glad this site is here for times like these.

I know Dave...he's a good guy, rational. Idk what to tell ya as I haven't seen the splitter. Then I'll make my judgement.
Please take a look at it, there is nothing on that splitter that could possibly cost that much to "repair". I have the pics I sent him and other pics as well, and all communication between us. This has all just really taken a turn for the worse, i don't see why this is even happening.
Originally posted by ContourKev:
He failed to get questions answered, there are no guarentees on buying off a web forum if you ask me... I would always try to be as detailed as possible, and relist it on an ebay auction, and have the ad point to ebay... Safety reasons

I dunno about you, but I ALWAYS ask questions before I make a purchase with a higher cost.
our friend here neglected to tell me that this splitter had suffered some major damage and was repaired poorly. these flaws were immediately visible by the body shop that i had him ship it DIRECTLY to. yet these flaws were conveniently missing from the pics he sent me.

here's the skinny of it....

i offered to send this thing back at MY expense, so I would be out of the $60 or so in shipping, in an effort to get this resolved. instead, he essentially tells me that it's my own fault for not somehow asking him the right questions to find this out? WTF is that?

i'm saddened that this is the state of affairs these days. instead of an amicable solution, this is what i get.

edit...

btw, here's his ad verbatim...

" have a Mirko splitter for sale. It's painted Toreador red but that can easily be changed. If you prefer to keep it toreador red, there are minor paint chips from daily driving, other than that it is in good condition."

he then sent me six pics of it or so, so it's not like i bought this thing site unseen. he just conveniently avoided taking pics of the damage this thing has.
have you taken pics of this damamge?
i'll have pics up tonight.
please post pics of this conveniently avoided damage...I am also eager to see this. And no you did not offer to ship it back at your own cost. Shall I post the email?
please post pics of this conveniently avoided damage...I am also eager to see this. And no you did not offer to ship it back at your own cost. Shall I post the email?

this one?

"As a result of this, I am going to send this thing back to you, and I expect a full refund including shipping (since I have to pay shipping to get it back to you)."

or would you prefer the subsequent one which you haven't bothered to respond to?

" So here�s where it stands� I can send this thing back to you at MY expense, and you refund my $220. If you hadn�t noticed, that puts me out $60 or so for shipping, and you get your splitter back to possibly re-sell to someone who has a t-red car that is willing to live with the flaw."

i will post pics, don't worry.

let me ask you a question, why on earth would i be going through this for any other reason than what i have stated? it's not like i have nothing better to do than dick around with this. i bought it assuming you were truthful in your description of it, and planned on having it painted and installed. i was pretty excited about it. but now i'm looking at having to have it completely hand sanded, repaired, and then painted... costing me at least $350 as opposed to $125. this whole thing is wasting MY time and MY money because you weren't forthright in your description of the item.

i fail to see how this is all my fault. can you please tell me how this is my fault and not yours?
Not to make too much light of the situation, but Tony, have you considered a brand new Mirko only runs $262 shipped?

Rick
not sure who tony is.... lol...

but yeah, i thought about that. but i figured i'd save a few bucks and help a fellow ceg'er out.

Oops. Sorry, mixed my CEG screen names up with real life names. I was thinking of Thinkmoto.

Rick
YEah, thats what I had thought too, Rick.

The description is VERY misleading and I, too, would be upset to see that the spliter has obtained a "large amount of damage" (so you say, orcourse). If you (the seller) had made no mention of the damage (except for chips), you should be held liable.

However (sorry Dave)

If I were to go buy a car from a person (sold as is, ofcourse) and I didn't ask if the car had been in an accident and the gentleman did not tell me this and I found out later it had been... it's my own fault. A seller is not obligated to tell the potential buyer the car has been in an accident unless the buyer asks, the vehicle has not been fully repaired, the car is mechanically unsound, or they ask for a carfax report.

In the case of the mirko, it's really a toss up. Dave didn't ask if it was damaged (which should have considering the LARGE array of Mirko's that recieve damage), however, the seller should have disclosed that it was damaged and repaired (whether the seller thought it was done correctly or not). Why these "pics" that are spoke of show no repair in one, and repair in another is beyond me.

Now: Lesson in Ethics:

If I was the seller and the buyer was unhappy, I would do everything plausible (not break my neck, however) to make them happy. In my hoodie group buy, I happened to stitch one hoodie up with the wrong color, the buyer was unhappy and wanted to send it back. Well, I told him to keep it and I will ship him another one at my cost. Now he is very happy and will probably buy from me again. That is the world of salesmanship.
Posted By: Davo Re: PlEASE HELP with classified sale conflict - 06/02/05 02:55 PM
There's only one way to solve this: STREET FIGHT!!!!!!!!
i hear ya, chad. but unfortunately, this wasn't something that i could visually inspect in person. and i did make the error of assuming that he was forthright in his description of the mirko. it's not that it was damaged at one time that bothers me, it's the fact that the repair was done poorly, and that these repairs are completely visable and need subsequent repairing.
Originally posted by Davo:
There's only one way to solve this: STREET FIGHT!!!!!!!!

violence is never the answer, davo.

but using all legal available means is. i just didn't want it to come to that.
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:

this one?

"As a result of this, I am going to send this thing back to you, and I expect a full refund including shipping (since I have to pay shipping to get it back to you)."

or would you prefer the subsequent one which you haven't bothered to respond to?

" So here�s where it stands� I can send this thing back to you at MY expense, and you refund my $220. If you hadn�t noticed, that puts me out $60 or so for shipping, and you get your splitter back to possibly re-sell to someone who has a t-red car that is willing to live with the flaw."

i will post pics, don't worry.

let me ask you a question, why on earth would i be going through this for any other reason than what i have stated? it's not like i have nothing better to do than dick around with this. i bought it assuming you were truthful in your description of it, and planned on having it painted and installed. i was pretty excited about it. but now i'm looking at having to have it completely hand sanded, repaired, and then painted... costing me at least $350 as opposed to $125. this whole thing is wasting MY time and MY money because you weren't forthright in your description of the item.

i fail to see how this is all my fault. can you please tell me how this is my fault and not yours?

I read this post and have no stake in it.

At this point the damage is alleged, as one party (seller) claims to know of nothing but rock chips, and the buyers installer says there is serious damage.

Who's to say you aren't being taken for a ride by the body shop. Is this "damage" very obvious? Auto repair places aren't known for being on the up-and-up all the time (to over generalize--no offense intended to anyone!). I'm sure it's your buddy and all... It seems to me that they are the only one with something to gain by lying in this situation.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you can work it out. We would all like to see some photos.
i hear ya, chad. but unfortunately, this wasn't something that i could visually inspect in person. and i did make the error of assuming that he was forthright in his description of the mirko. it's not that it was damaged at one time that bothers me, it's the fact that the repair was done poorly, and that these repairs are completely visable and need subsequent repairing.

Then that is where the seller is wrong. IF the repairs are very visible, then that should have been disclosed in the classified ad.

EX:

When I sold my VW, I KNEW that I had to tell the buyer that the car's fender had been repainted do to a small fender bender (because it was a noticeable change in silver shade ). I didn't have to tell her the rim, tire, from sway bar, strut, and spring were also replaced... becuase that is irrelevant, unless she asks.

Get your money back Dave
Originally posted by mean'tour:

Who's to say you aren't being taken for a ride by the body shop. Auto repair places aren't known for being on the up-and-up all the time (to over generalize). I'm sure it's your buddy and all... It seems to me that they are the only one with something to gain by lying in this situation.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you can work it out. We would all like to see some photos.

i've been using this shop for 15 years now... often enough between my brother and i that not only do i trust them, but they give me better pricing and service than any other. they are the experts, and i will always defer to their judgement in these matters. my brother trusts them to work on his pristine '65 caddy, his '02 saleen, and i trust them to work on numerous show and race cars of mine that i have had worked on.

and as i said, i will have pics up tonight.
Posted By: JB1 Re: PlEASE HELP with classified sale conflict - 06/02/05 04:46 PM
i will have pics up tonight.

i think we should all withhold further judgement until then
Originally posted by my csvt:
i will have pics up tonight.

i think we should all withhold further judgement until then

Mmmkay Judge Judy!

... but yeah, you are correct.
Originally posted by mean'tour:

Who's to say you aren't being taken for a ride by the body shop. Auto repair places aren't known for being on the up-and-up all the time (to over generalize). I'm sure it's your buddy and all... It seems to me that they are the only one with something to gain by lying in this situation.

i've been using this shop for 15 years now... often enough between my brother and i that not only do i trust them, but they give me better pricing and service than any other. they are the experts, and i will always defer to their judgement in these matters. my brother trusts them to work on his pristine '65 caddy, his '02 saleen, and i trust them to work on numerous show and race cars of mine that i have had worked on.

and as i said, i will have pics up tonight.

anyone who has dealt with multiple body shops or stereo shops or whatever shops that work with cars will know that practically no two shops will see eye to eye on everything and will always think their work is far superior to the other guy's work. in other words, its possible that Johnny's guy believes the work to be sufficient while your guy does not.

imo, if mx is willing to pay the shipping to send it back, then take it back. it sucks to take back sh*t youve already sold but in the interest of keeping the peace between two reputable cegers.....
but if you feel adament that it was exactly how you described and that he is being nitpicky beyond reason, then stick to your guns. ive had this happen a few times on ebay. believe me, the fbi and paypal wont care, especially the fbi. you got exactly what you paid for, there is just a disagreement as to the level of condition of the item. if he said it was brand new and unused, then that could constitute fraud. the fbi is faaar too busy to settle disputes between two guys over a chipped mirko.

ps whoever ends up with the mirko, there should be plenty of buyers willing to buy an already painted mirko, despite its "condition"
We should hold judgment until pics are displayed, I agree with that. I can honestly say I was up front about everything. I did not try to lie about anything, no reason to. If the repairs are clearly that visible, which I still have no idea what these repairs are, I would have disclosed that. To my understanding, you have not seen the splitter yet, you said you are relying on what the body shop told you. The ONLY thing that comes to mind about repairs is a small "bump" on the bottom front that I forgot about. I don't believe this a repair but instead a flaw in the mold or however they make these. When I got it, it appeared BRAND NEW, nothing about it suggested it had been tampered with. No differences in texture or luster of the entire piece. I saw the bump after painting it the first time and figured it was my paint job, that I had messed up. Then I realized it was there the second time also. I forgot about the bump because it is small and not extremely visible unless you're right up on it. If this is what you are referring to, I'm sorry that I forgot about that, but it's not THAT big of an imperfection. Not big enough to cause the what is going on. The email saying you would pay for shipping was sent after the email requesting I pay for shipping, I had no knowledge of that email. I just saw it right now. I have no problem giving you a refund if the bump is what you're worried about. It sucks because I'm still out at least $80 from shipping it to you, but I am also honest and ethical. We can work this out with no problems, you're emails just came off as very threatening and I did not appreciate that. If there are problems, we can work them out, there was no need to threaten to take it to "outside assistance" from the get go. I am not a kid nor am I stupid, I take offense to someone threatening me with legal action without even talking about things first. It came off as a scare tactic. I'll wait for the pictures to be displayed and we can go from there. Thank you.
I would be interested to see the "damage" of this splitter. $350 to repair a splitter is a joke. For that price, they might as well just build you one from scratch.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: PlEASE HELP with classified sale conflict - 06/02/05 07:26 PM
True dat! For $350.00, they should build you a new splitter, and top it off with a reach-a-round . I've had a few 1/2 dollar sized chunks in my splitter, but Jim easily repaired them with his trusty can of bondo and a mouse sander. I touched up the paint, which could be a little more desirable, but unnoticed to the average eye. So why don't we wait until both Jonny and Dave both post pictures, and we can opinionate from there.

Mark
We should hold judgment until pics are displayed, I agree with that. I can honestly say I was up front about everything. I did not try to lie about anything, no reason to. If the repairs are clearly that visible, which I still have no idea what these repairs are, I would have disclosed that. To my understanding, you have not seen the splitter yet, you said you are relying on what the body shop told you. The ONLY thing that comes to mind about repairs is a small "bump" on the bottom front that I forgot about. I don't believe this a repair but instead a flaw in the mold or however they make these. When I got it, it appeared BRAND NEW, nothing about it suggested it had been tampered with. No differences in texture or luster of the entire piece. I saw the bump after painting it the first time and figured it was my paint job, that I had messed up. Then I realized it was there the second time also. I forgot about the bump because it is small and not extremely visible unless you're right up on it. If this is what you are referring to, I'm sorry that I forgot about that, but it's not THAT big of an imperfection. Not big enough to cause the what is going on. The email saying you would pay for shipping was sent after the email requesting I pay for shipping, I had no knowledge of that email. I just saw it right now. I have no problem giving you a refund if the bump is what you're worried about. It sucks because I'm still out at least $80 from shipping it to you, but I am also honest and ethical. We can work this out with no problems, you're emails just came off as very threatening and I did not appreciate that. If there are problems, we can work them out, there was no need to threaten to take it to "outside assistance" from the get go. I am not a kid nor am I stupid, I take offense to someone threatening me with legal action without even talking about things first. It came off as a scare tactic. I'll wait for the pictures to be displayed and we can go from there. Thank you.

actually, it wasn't intended as a scare tactic at all. i was just trying to be upfront with you. in my initial email to you, i stated that i hoped we could handle this between you and i, and that i did not want to use outside assistance. it was in your responses to me where you said that you would not accept it if i sent it back to you, and that i should take it to outside agencies if i wanted to.

i'm glad that we will be able to work this out man-to-man. it was never my intention to air this out in front of everyone here, but you started the thread so here we are.

i wish you would have informed me of this "bump" before hand, or even after my initial email to you after recieving the item.

i am leaving work early tonight (hopefully!) to go pick it up from the shop and personally inspect it and snap pics. if my guys are way off base here, you have my sincerest apologies, but in the 15 years i've been dealing with them, they have yet to do me wrong. i just talked to him, and he actually found bondo in these spots (he says there are two), so a flaw in the mold it is not.

i will let you know what is up tonight. i truly hope we can work this out!!

-dave
I'm still waiting for a post with the picture of the smiley's hoding up the signs saying "This thread is pointless without pictures"
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
I'm still waiting for a post with the picture of the smiley's hoding up the signs saying "This thread is pointless without pictures"

well....

things have taken an interesting turn...

let me start by saying that i appreciate jonathans willingness to work on this with me at the end. i suppose that does say something...

i guess the downside of being friends with the guys at the bodyshop is that they are comfortable taking some liberties. i didn't bother to tell them not to mess with the mirko in the meantime, and while inspecting it he wanted to find out exactly what was wrong under the "bubble" and this is the result...

apparently there's a good amount of bondo in various places on the splitter, and a lot of it is popping up (including that spot, which was the worst). no reputable shop will paint over this, so it has to be completely hand stripped, repaired, and painted. but, since there's is a nice gaping hole in the paint now, i don't expect johnathan to take it back now... so... you're off the hook. i leave it up to you if you want to do anything in the way of restitution in this matter... but i'm done with it.

for those interested, here are the pics. i'll link to them since most are pretty large. aside from the large bubble that is now a gaping hole, the other major one is visible in this pic, just below the white stone chip...

http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko004.jpg

there are also some pretty major chunks missing out of it as well...

http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko007.jpg

here's the rest of the pics...

http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko003.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko006.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko008.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko009.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko010.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko011.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/mirko012.jpg

the paint was totally spidered and cracking off along the top edge, but i couldn't get a clear pic of that.

so... that's that. i will have what is likely the most expensive mirko in the world on my car in a week, and i will have learned my lesson.
Quote:

actually, it wasn't intended as a scare tactic at all. i was just trying to be upfront with you. in my initial email to you, i stated that i hoped we could handle this between you and i, and that i did not want to use outside assistance. it was in your responses to me where you said that you would not accept it if i sent it back to you, and that i should take it to outside agencies if i wanted to.

i'm glad that we will be able to work this out man-to-man. it was never my intention to air this out in front of everyone here, but you started the thread so here we are.

i wish you would have informed me of this "bump" before hand, or even after my initial email to you after recieving the item.

i am leaving work early tonight (hopefully!) to go pick it up from the shop and personally inspect it and snap pics. if my guys are way off base here, you have my sincerest apologies, but in the 15 years i've been dealing with them, they have yet to do me wrong. i just talked to him, and he actually found bondo in these spots (he says there are two), so a flaw in the mold it is not.

i will let you know what is up tonight. i truly hope we can work this out!!

I took your emails as scare tactics simply because you were a man of few words in the buying process, then the next 2 emails I get involve some sort of "threat" of authorities getting involved just out of nowhere. If that's not what you intended, I'm sorry, but that's very much how I interpreted them. Almost trying to belittle me. The bump, I honestly forgot about, as mentioned above. I had the splitter off a month prior to selling it and it sat in my garage. I even forgot about it while I had it on the car simply because it was no big deal, sure it wasn't flawless, but what is on a daily driven car? That was my view, so I eventually forgot about it. My apologies. I still stand by my statement that I noticed no difference before painting it, on the fiberglass' surface. The guy I bought it from actually said it was brand new, and it appeared to be. Is it possible to know if there is bondo under the paint without actually seeing it unpainted? I know it's obvious if it's jagged and clearly bondo, but this is a smooth molded bump...I'm not an auto body expert so that's why I'm asking. For example is there a tool they use to determine that? I'll post the pictures I sent to everybody, but they were intended to show the condirion of the paint (aka chips), and nothing more. I did not conveniently avoid certain angles or areas as alleged. It was a quick wash and snap. The bump is on the driver's side IIRC.

Sorry to hear that you got [censored]. Shady.

Everyone should make every transaction go through ebay if at all possible. The buyer protection is more than worthwhile.
I guess I was typing and uploading as you posted the new post. The small chumks taken out of the edge come along with daily driving, I assumed that was a given. As I've never owned anything of this sort before, I assumed it just happened. I did not mean to deceive anybody. Some of the chunks are still fairly visible in the pics I sent everybody. I am sorry this has ended like this also. Even though you don't expect me to take it back, I still feel bad due to the fact that you're not happy with it. I honestly knew nothing of the bondo or filler, as I mentioned before, nothing suggested to me before that it had been repaired. I can offer to send you back $20 or so, but since I moved amongst all this, I'm very broke and the money you paid for it was already spent on bills. Just let me know if there's anything else I can help you with or questions I can answer. Once again, I'm sorry it had to end this way.
Originally posted by LilStrypedSVT:

If I was the seller and the buyer was unhappy, I would do everything plausible (not break my neck, however) to make them happy. In my hoodie group buy, I happened to stitch one hoodie up with the wrong color, the buyer was unhappy and wanted to send it back. Well, I told him to keep it and I will ship him another one at my cost. Now he is very happy and will probably buy from me again. That is the world of salesmanship.

Agreed, plus the only way I achieved 240+ 100% positive feedbacks on eBay was applying these principles. Well said stripey ...

XL
Posted By: R_G Re: PlEASE HELP with classified sale conflict - 06/03/05 01:20 AM
It's hard to take sides in this conflict, especially b/c the result of all this jazz are 2 unhappy dissatisfied CEG'ers; however, having said that I personally find the FBI issue as highly deplorable as pathetic.
Sorry but, I think the buyer is being a bit anal. The way you were talking I thought the thing had been rebuilt out of three wrecked splitters. Did you think a used front splitter would be perfect? And I would find a new body shop ASAP! You're guy is trying to hose you. I could fix that thing and paint it with a chip resistant clear for $200.00 or less. Jeez.

Jim
Originally posted by durateX:
Originally posted by LilStrypedSVT:

Agreed, plus the only way I achieved 240+ 100% positive feedbacks on eBay was applying these principles. Well said stripey ...

XL

Oh yeah!
Thats not bad at all. Theres not even pieces missing out of the front of the splitter. Basically just pits that need to be filled. Honestly, I could repair that to look like new in a couple hours.
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Thats not bad at all. Theres not even pieces missing out of the front of the splitter. Basically just pits that need to be filled. Honestly, I could repair that to look like new in a couple hours.

True, thats what I thought. Some Bondo brand platic filler will do nicely over that. Dave, you are handy.. fix it yourself and have your guy paint it.
i'm sure you guys would paint over bubbling and cracked paint.

maybe it's fine for your cars, but not mine. i'm not going to ham and egg it just to have to do it all over again in a year. if that makes me anal, so be it.

and i'd like the name and number of a reputable shop that will completely hand strip (no chemicals), repair, and repaint for less than $350.

whatever. it's done. the long and short of it is it's not as he described it. and now it's costing me substantially more than it should have. these are hard facts. everything else is opinion and conjecture.
I would hand strip it and repair it myself and then have someone paint it. Thats what I said.
Nothing that a can of bondo, sandpaper, a six-pack and a Saturday afternoon can't fix.

-J
Originally posted by JVT:
Nothing that a can of bondo, sandpaper, a six-pack and a Saturday afternoon can't fix.

-J

exactly! Take a Mouse to that thing, strip it down, fill, sand, and your ready to go. Like i said, a couple hours tops and it would look brand new.
/thread hijack

Hey Jim,

your car was reborn on my birfday. w00t w00t.

Sweet power btw...

-J
heres the skinny on mirkos: if you drive daily with them on IT WILL GET THRASHED OVER TIME!!!!!! its an unavoidable consequence. you will be repairing, repainting, or touching it up often. no way around it, unless its only on for the occasional show.

i wouldnt have bought a used mirko for that much anyway. i got mine with a huge chunk missing and repaired, primed, painted, cleared, etc. by myself and spent under $200 when it was all said and done.

regardless of who did what, whos fault it is, etc. ALWAYS ASK FOR PICS!! who just sends money off without seeing or asking many specific questions about the used product anyway?

bottom line: i hope this works out for the best, for both of you
well said kingpin. this is the reason i dont have a Mirko. MX, you can spend all that money to make it look tits, but in a year, its probably going to look like that again anyway. i know you take lots of pride in your car's appearance, as do many in here, but this product just doesnt support that.

Lilstrped and Duratex, while i agree with your statements on customer service, there is a big difference between someone who is in the business of selling a particular product, who can afford to take a loss in the name of good business, and an individual selling a part out of his garage. just my .02 cents as a fellow ebay seller and an occassional guy selling a part out of his garage.

ps, i didnt know bondo would repair over fiberglass very well. i thought you had to repair with fiberglass...
Originally posted by svt4stv:
well said kingpin. this is the reason i dont have a Mirko. MX, you can spend all that money to make it look tits, but in a year, its probably going to look like that again anyway. i know you take lots of pride in your car's appearance, as do many in here, but this product just doesnt support that.

you will probably have to repaint it more than once a year, depending on how much you drive. the way things are going for me its going to be twice a year, with it taken off for the winter. repaint when it comes off for the winter months, and then again midway through the summer ones.

having a black car, its easy to get away with doing it yourself, because black is an easy color to match. having a body shop paint a mirko should run you in the 80-100 range per pop. me doing it myself costs me about $25 bucks. i can afford to paint it a few times by myself for the cost of one professional paint job. the pro job may last a bit longer, but its still going to get dinged up. it will have to be fixed a few times, not matter what.

bondo works fine on fiberglass for fixing small dings. i used it, turned out fine. im going to have to do a small touch up because after painting i noticed a few small air pockets i didnt notice before. no biggie.

it was worth it to me to put in the time to fix it. the body shops around me wanted around $300 to fix it. did it myself for the cost of a small can of bondo, and a couple of rattle cans. being a perfectionist about prep will go a long way as well.

a painted piece that low to the ground just doesnt work well for the paint, regardless of how you look at it.

i always say, you gotta pay to look this good!
Any of the splitter users ever tried putting that clear film on the splitters?...the same stuff they use for the clear "bras" and headlight covers...made by 3M.

It's supposed to be very good at protecting the painted surfaces, and there's lots of shops around the US that can custom fit it.
except for the fact that fiberglass is very fragile and these things sit just inches above terra firma. some people say theirs have touched the ground while driving, going through a dip or over a bump etc...

but that is a good idea against the rock chip damage.

i just dont know why they dont make these things out of something stronger like cf or polyurethane.
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

regardless of who did what, whos fault it is, etc. ALWAYS ASK FOR PICS!! who just sends money off without seeing or asking many specific questions about the used product anyway?

for the umpteenth time, and for those of you too lazy to have read the entire thread, i saw FIVE pictures of it before buying it, none of which showed this damage.

did i pay too much for it? maybe! but my understanding was that it was in good condition aside from a few stone chips. should i have asked him more questions? apprently. is it my fault his idea of "good condition" means that it had chunks missing, lots of bondo, and paint so screwed up that it has to be completely removed before it gets repainted?? NO!! and if any of you think it is, well... i guess i have no response for that.

is it my fault for trusting the word of a fellow ceg'er a little too much? apparently!

Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

for the umpteenth time, and for those of you too lazy to have read the entire thread, i saw FIVE pictures of it before buying it, none of which showed this damage.

My question is simple: Did those five pix you saw, are they the sames ones posted by the seller? If so, I clearly saw damage, and bad on you for complaining after RECEIVING the splitter. If not, well then bad on the seller, and the bodyguy should not have touched the splitter so you could return it, less shipping costs.

Regardless, its done, its over. Move on to something more important in life than a splitter.
Originally posted by Shaggy:
My question is simple: Did those five pix you saw, are they the sames ones posted by the seller? If so, I clearly saw damage, and bad on you for complaining after RECEIVING the splitter. If not, well then bad on the seller, and the bodyguy should not have touched the splitter so you could return it, less shipping costs.

i can't see the pics he posted, as my work webfilter blocks them out. the pics he sent me, however, show the stone chips and little else. they don't show a single bit of bubbling, nor the cracking along the top of it.

Originally posted by Shaggy:

Regardless, its done, its over. Move on to something more important in life than a splitter.

agreed. i'm done with this whole situation.
Sorry but I couldn't resist:

Originally posted by svt4stv:
MX, you can spend all that money to make it look tits , but in a year, its probably going to look like that again anyway.

Bahahah, was someone searching for porno while simultaneously writing this reply up!?! LOL, that gave me a good chuckle!

Sucks that you have to spend all that money Dave. Tough lesson to learn.
No need for further discussion on this.

I'm sorry for both parties.
© CEG Archives