Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
but it is going to be my first "car" do you think it's a good one to start out on?
it might blow up....

j/k

WHat kind is it?
How many miles
what kind of options... etc.
Do you know its history.

It is a VERY nice car to start out with. Doesn't require "baby sitting" so to speak. Ofcourse, it's no Toyota Camry or nothing.. but defeintly a very dependable car when taken care of. welcome! Don't let people scare you about "Oh, this stopped working, etc" Because truthfully, all cars have problems.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/17/05 10:03 PM
Tell us more about the car. What model? What engine? What transmission? How many miles?

Either way I think you'll like owning your Contour, and Welcome to CEG!

Mark
Thanks. It's an Auto,a 24 valve, v6, and it is a 98. I think it has 115 thounsand miles on it and its maroon. The paint and interior are in excellent condition. And I know all cars have problems I am an auto tech student...even camrys

Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Tell us more about the car. What model? What engine? What transmission? How many miles?

Don't worry, you'll love the car no matter what kind it is, mine's the 4 banger automatic and I still love it.
Fun to drive too.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/17/05 10:17 PM
Originally posted by mystique97:

Don't worry, you'll love the car no matter what kind it is, mine's the 4 banger automatic and I still love it.
Fun to drive too.

Wasn't implying she wouldn't like it if it were a 4cyl or automatic.. She wanted to know if they were good cars.. There are certain things she could look for with either V6 or I4, or the ATX or MTX.. Im assuming she wants more technical answers on what possible problems the car may pose, rather than "Contours are cool."

Mark
i can't drive a 5 speed yet...still working on that so an auto is cool for me and i know i give up some power but its okay for now.

And i really don't know anyone who owns a contour just want to know what i can do to her to make her better and what to watch out for.

Fun to drive too.

Wasn't implying she wouldn't like it if it were a 4cyl or automatic.. She wanted to know if they were good cars.. There are certain things she could look for with either V6 or I4, or the ATX or MTX.. Im assuming she wants more technical answers on what possible problems the car may pose, rather than "Contours are cool."

Mark

I know Mark, I was just quoting you on what you said and adding more to it, pretty much.

Also Christina, what size engine, V6, L4? if its the L4 you can find some things for it but not a lot, well if you plain to spend a crap load of $$$, yeah you can find a good amount of things, and if its the 6, its about the same but a bit easier to find mods then the 4.
Just search around on the Registry on here and look at other people's cars and get ideas I'm sure you'll see something you'll like.
Originally posted by Christina22:
Thanks. It's an Auto,a 24 valve, v6, and it is a 98. I think it has 115 thounsand miles on it and its maroon. The paint and interior are in excellent condition. And I know all cars have problems I am an auto tech student...even camrys

She said it's the 6, and it's I4, not L4. "Inline"...

Welcome! You'll love it. Watch out for basic maint. issues, and you'll be fine!

Things to do right now:

Flush all the fluids
-transaxle
-coolant
-oil
-power steering
-brakes

You might want to replace the water pump, if it's stock. They tend to go.

I'd do the air filer and fuel filter too.

None of that stuff is urgent, just a good idea. If there's nothing wrong, the best thing you can do is drive it! They like that a lot, or at least mine does.

And read the stickies at the top of each forum. Duratec maintenence is a good place to start.
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:

Do'h, sh!t I knew that (long day ) and I didn't see her one post.
Thanks for correcting me tho.
God I can be such an idiot.

Do'h, sh!t I knew that (long day ) and I didn't see her one post.
Thanks for correcting me tho.
God I can be such an idiot.

lol, do you need a hug?

I'm just being anal. I ca'nt stand stupid litle mistakes. OCD i guess
Eh, I'll be fine, I had school 9:00-3:30 today and well we are building a modular home (I'm in a job training program, for construction) and we are drywalling right now and its a PITA.
But we do get tomorrow off.
Might go to the junkyard and look for a few things I could use for the Stique...BTW Christina that is a great place to find stuff for your car, is the junkyard, got me a spoiler with a trunk lid attached for $100 off a 99 Mystique LS, was in near perfect shape too.
we are drywalling right now and its a PITA.

Drywall sucks! It's sooo heavy, and you have to be careful with it, to boot.
yes my verry first brand new car (2nd car total) was a 1997 contour gl i bought in 1997 off the show room floor in alaska when i was in the army and thats when i fell in love with them, it was a black 5 speed gl 4cyl. and now years later actualy today i have had my svt contour for 2 1/2 years and to be honest it still feels like the verry first day i got it, everyday is a blessing being able to drive my car....
just want to know what i can do to her to make her better and what to watch out for.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong......but I believe that the V6s built before January of 98 are highly prone to waterpump failure. Of course, by 115k, its likely that this has already happened and already been dealt with by the previous owner but its still something to watch out for.

My waterpump went at 60k without warning. There was no leaking, no noise, no symptoms whatsoever until she started to overheat.

If your car was built after January of 98 (IIRC ) it will probably be OK where waterpumps are concerned.

We are way past that point, we are spreading mud now (almost done), thats a real royal PITA. Sanding it is the worst part, wears you out.
Bad thing is we still got a sh!t load to do to the house yet and there is just under 3 months of school left.
Nice car. You will like it. I really love that color. If it has had even reasonable care, it should last a long time. You will find a lot of support here for it's care and maintenance as well as should you run into some problems. CEG is one of the best car communities in cyberspace.
Originally posted by Big Jim:
CEG is one of the best car communities in cyberspace.

That it is...

We are way past that point, we are spreading mud now (almost done), thats a real royal PITA. Sanding it is the worst part, wears you out.
Bad thing is we still got a sh!t load to do to the house yet and there is just under 3 months of school left.

I LOVE spreading mud...no , really- 'corse I lives in da back woods. I HATE the sanding part.

Welcome to CEG! Stop by the NW forum and say "hi" too.

...And yay for girls who are into cars enough to be auto tech students!

Marty
Christina you do need to know that these cars tend to have ATX problems and since the one your looking at is an ATX you might check a few things. SO check the ATX fluid, it should be a light pink color and not smell burnt. Find out the maintenance record of the trannys fluid, make sure the car has never towed anything, was it driven hard? If it is any of these or you can't get maintenance records on that ATX I would recommend a different on. BTW a bad ATX cost between $1000 to $2000 to fix.
These cars don't really have any extra ATX issues. Any ATX that is abused and mistreated is going to have problems. And the fluid is red, not pink. Something is not right if your fluid is bright pink.
Matt I said light pink not bright pink and yes any ATX will have problems if abused thats why she needs to check these things. The thing that would scare me the most is the milage on the ATX. Thats a lot of miles mine died at 146k miles and it was behind a weaker motor and had religious maitenance, I ran the plates at Jiffy Lube and they had the customer history for the last 7 years so most of the cars life since its a 96. So chances are hers won't make it that far even if it had religious maintenance due to the fact that she has a more powerful motor. That is only 30K miles away too, assuming it lasts as long as mine did. So at 15k miles a year thats 2 years.
Any color pink is off. I think how long an ATX will last depends on driving style. Someone who has 150k highway miles will have a tranny still running fine compared to even 100k city miles. And if they floor it, drive up mountains, etc. You can't put two trannys side by side and compare them effectively w/o knowing a ton of info.
I dissagree on the pink part since whenever I properly flush a tranny the fluid is light pink, it starts to turn red after a little bit of wear. Of course it also depends on the color that the fluid started as. I definately agree on the part of not being able to compare one tranny to the next. But mine were mostly highway miles buy a middle aged woman. not city miles by me I think a tour is a great car but I wouldn't buy an ATX one with more then 50k miles. If she can find a low milage one or a MTX one. I am just trying to help her out. Not convince that this is the best car ever. Although I think it is.
Color blind. Should be red.
Not color blind but maybe light red would be a better description. That is the color on the dip stick since there isn't much fluid there, obviously in the pan its red.
Posted By: SAV Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/18/05 06:55 AM
Look at all you pervs jump on a thread like this.

Twenty-six replies in around 7 hours NEVER happens for somebody walking in to try and ask about CEG or Contours. They get flamed beyond belief.

"You should search you stupid newb!! I mean, gosh...and make me a Goddamned sandwich while you're at it!"

Oh, wait...it's cuz she's a girl. Could I get treatment like that if I went and changed my name to "Andrea99" or something?

BTW, I'm smashed so I'm still pretty anal and crap. I think I made a nice post in SE a lil while ago that I don't even remember. I'm not sure though. I'll find out when I wake up in the morning about 25 miles, six cokes, twelve pancakes and two kids later from where I started. Damn girls trying to sleep with me all the time.

-SAV
SAV, do you want me to make you some coffee tomorrow?

And actually, she got help because she asked good questions and wasn't an idiot. And half my posts weren't even to her, they were about dryawall.

Napoleon, don't be jealous 'cause I've been chatting with babes online all day!

C'mon SAV, you know I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Welcome to the board Cristi!
SHe probably thinks were all loosers... seeing she hasn't posted inthis thread for a day or so. We are all nerds here... someone wanna post up our "family photo!?"
Posted By: SAV Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/18/05 03:39 PM
SAV, do you want me to make you some coffee tomorrow?

Pretty please? I could use it now.
Originally posted by 95sleeper:

Napoleon, don't be jealous 'cause I've been chatting with babes online all day!

C'mon SAV, you know I'm training to be a cage fighter.

ROFL, that's the first thing that's made me laugh on here in a LONG time.

-SAV
I think your hilarious and a little jealous maybe?
By the way, I want to sleep with you too!

Originally posted by SAV:
Look at all you pervs jump on a thread like this.

Twenty-six replies in around 7 hours NEVER happens for somebody walking in to try and ask about CEG or Contours. They get flamed beyond belief.

"You should search you stupid newb!! I mean, gosh...and make me a Goddamned sandwich while you're at it!"

Oh, wait...it's cuz she's a girl. Could I get treatment like that if I went and changed my name to "Andrea99" or something?

BTW, I'm smashed so I'm still pretty anal and crap. I think I made a nice post in SE a lil while ago that I don't even remember. I'm not sure though. I'll find out when I wake up in the morning about 25 miles, six cokes, twelve pancakes and two kids later from where I started. Damn girls trying to sleep with me all the time.

-SAV

Originally posted by CSVTCHICK:

What about the rest of us?????
"b00b's" doesn't need an apostrophe, rocket boy.
Just taken up sig space sleeper

Hah.. you perv.. you clicked on it.
Originally posted by LilRedRocket:

Yeah sure, Why the hell not! You only live once. Maybe we'll just make it one big group effort and get it over with quicker!HA!

Yeah sure, Why the hell not! You only live once. Maybe we'll just make it one big group effort and get it over with quicker!HA!

Sorry, I work solo & take my time. Bliss should coveted for as long as possible.
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Sorry, I work solo & take my time. Bliss should coveted for as long as possible.

Posted By: SAV Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/18/05 11:38 PM

Back the hell off! She's MIIIIINE!

If I get another one while I'm trashed, I'll send her your way.

[thoughts] This is AWESOME! [/end thoughts]

-SAV
SAV can't even FIND Ontario (on a map) so I wouldn't stress it...

All this talk about being trashed, and you say its a false compliment? LOL

Ray (who had exactly 0.000 ounces of alcohol on Patty's Day..)
So I'm boring:(.. Or smart ... Or both ?

Ray
Posted By: SAV Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/19/05 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Ray:

All this talk about being trashed, and you say its a false compliment? LOL

ROFL!

I'm disappointed it took you that long to find me again though.

And I can find Ontario really easy:

Look at that, even if I have to skip around the lakes, it's only like two or three inches away. That'll take like a whole 10 minutes!

-SAV

ROFL!

Look at that, even if I have to skip around the lakes, it's only like two or three inches away. That'll take like a whole 10 minutes!

-SAV

LMAO!
Dude.. you are only like... 3 inches from me, too.. why don't you come this way, instead, and you won't have to change climates... or wardrobes... or driving patterns... or tires (blizzaks)...

and there's fun to be had in the Lone Star, and in the sun... We can offer up some fishing, hiking, camping, racing, NBA (x3??), NFL, and, uhm.... more...

Ray

ROFL!

-SAV

LMAO!

HAHAHA!! That map is THE SHIZNIT sav!!

And besides, i got you all beat. I could probably throw a rock and hit windsor from where I live. Good ole Michigan... nice michigan, yes....
Good ole Michigan... nice michigan, yes....

Keep telling yourself that...

Ray
great map!!
Posted By: SAV Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/19/05 06:42 AM
Well gang, it actually took about 20 minutes to get from Savannah to Ontario. I didn't anticipate the Applachians getting in the way. Stepping over those damn 3 ft. tall mountains was a real pain in the ass.

But now that I got to Ontario, it seems like it got a lot bigger. WTH happened? I'll never find CSVTCHICK now!

-SAV
Well gang, it actually took about 20 minutes to get from Savannah to Ontario. I didn't anticipate the Applachians getting in the way. Stepping over those damn 3 ft. tall mountains was a real pain in the ass.

But now that I got to Ontario, it seems like it got a lot bigger. WTH happened? I'll never find CSVTCHICK now!

-SAV

Holy Sh#t! You guys are Killin me up here. I LOVE the map. "Stupid Lakes" That's how I feel too HAHA. All you have to do is ask SAV! I'll send my private jet down to pick your drunk ass up.
It's all about Toronto, if you can find that you've found me!.
I really don't think you could handle me anyways, sounds like you might not hold your liquor to well. Unless you hold her by the ears.
I really don't think you could handle me anyways, sounds like you might not hold your liquor to well. Unless you hold her by the ears.

Now THAT is what I'm talking about.

Ray
Posted By: SAV Re: I know you guys all love your contours... - 03/20/05 06:16 PM

Don't let Ray fool ya. I could definitely handle anything you throw at me.

Now if you're throwing in a private jet, then the tables might turn a bit...

-SAV

© CEG Archives