Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960511163&category=33646

Pros? Cons? The people selling them any good? Auction ends in 6 hours and I have my finger on the trigger!!!

XL
Originally posted by durateX:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960511163&category=33646

Pros? Cons? The people selling them any good? Auction ends in 6 hours and I have my finger on the trigger!!!

XL

Pros: It's a sweet hood, and will make me over your car.

Cons: There isn't any!

No but seriously, I don't know of any cons. Maybe someone who owns one already can post and let you know.
Besides the fact that I don't care for the looks and the little non-scoop functions as a bird bath, no cons at all...

In all seriousness, the people that have bought them seem to be happy for the most part. Good luck
Nooooooooooooooooooo

Don't ruin your beautifull car with Carbon Fiber. Not my style, but hey, if you like it go for it, its your car afterall
Originally posted by path914:
and the little non-scoop functions as a bird bath, no cons at all...

That are supposed to be cut out and mesh installed to make functional.
i like carbon hoods, i just dont like the scoop on it, id rather have a stock one but either way, good luck and post pics when you get it
Originally posted by todras:

Wouldn't that bring hydro damage implications? I think I'd prefer leaving it non-functional and simply benefit from the weight characteristics alone, rather than adding functionality to the scoop which would start rust problems under the hood... It DOES get very wet here in Miami in the summer time. It may do wonders for engine bay temperature, but it's a double edge sword indeed...

XL

Wouldn't that bring hydro damage implications? I think I'd prefer leaving it non-functional and simply benefit from the weight characteristics alone...
XL

What benefits would that be?
Might wanna PM ScottD60 about the fitment issues he and a couple other people have with them...
I think it looks sweet, itd look good on your svt too cuz its silver.
Here i did your homework for you!
Originally posted by scottd60:
Originally posted by parkedcar:
Originally posted by scottd60:
"if it's anything like the CF1 cowl hood it will be awesome". Well, apparently you don't have one or haven't looked at one very closely I do have one and in general I like it (from a distance and in pic's) but if I had to buy it over again I probably wouldn't. The fit is poor and the finish and overall quality is average at best. I would consider my hood a "BLEM" but it was not sold to me that way�I paid full price.

I feel the same way about the quality of my hood. I saw their ebay auction for "grade b" hoods. Mine has all the same defects but was told this is all normal. I recieved $100 back for a bad latch but still have the bubbles, and skewing.
But at the same time no one else is making a hood like that.

My cowl hood has a crooked latch, bubbles, blemish the size of a big finger print in the clear, strange lines, skewed CF, unfinished edges and is under size by about 1" both front to back and side to side as well. I did not get anything back and also was told all of this was normal

Plus my car it the one in their pictures on both eBay and on their site selling these hoods

Not sure if these are the same guys that made Scotts hood, but it's something you might want to look into...
Steer clear from that. VERY clear.

1. It's damn ugly. (I'll tell it like it is, not this "it's not my taste" stuff)
2. Nobody that's bought one has been completely satisfied with the way it fits. (though no CF hood is going to be perfect, I've heard of more fitment/finish problems with the dome hoods as opposed to OEM-style CF hoods)

Stick it out with an OEM style hood or jump on the ones that NorCalCoug is offering in the GB forum. They are much nicer.

-SAV
If you like big gaps then sure, buy it up...
Just e-mailed the guys, and they said that the first CF hood productions still had some cosmetic flaws, but they have perfected their product. At under $400 I am willing to take the risk!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960511163&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Take the plunge?
Stop being a pu$$y and do it!
You are in for a dissapointment...

Did you think that they were going to email you back saying "yes, our product doesn't fit for [censored] and is poor quality, but you should still purchase it"
i personally just dont like the look of it too much, so that part is up to you, unless you want your car to have the Kingpin stamp of approval
i really like the CF hood with out cars. The OEM style, or the Norcal one. That monstrosity however, ruins the lines of the car. It just doesn't look right.
I don't like it!! Well since u asked?

First our hood is nice enough, get a mirko instead of that hood. I hate CF hoods, black hood on a silver car doesn't look right. Unless you get it painted!! Surely you know that you would be trying to look like every other ricer drving down the street(not trying to be rude). Cause ricers love CF anything on ther cars!!

Your car looks sweet now with your drop, take things little bye alittle andenjoy, cause if you go all out things will geet boring real quick!!

Trust me right now your car looks real sleek and clean looking, leave it that way
Originally posted by Mkingracing:
Trust me right now your car looks real sleek and clean looking, leave it that way

i agree. i wouldnt change anyhting on the outside of your car, i would start modding the interior or engine.
I know that a higher-than-expected percentage of forum members voted against the CF, but I promise one thing... I will order my Mirko by next week along with my headers to counter-match the added agressiveness of the cowl hood. Also, I promise that if I do not like it, I will resell it on eBay. I have 192 feedbacks at 100% and reselling things is usually a song. The way I see it is this...

My car's main theme is silver & black. So there is nothing that can cosmetically harm it, as long as it stays within my monochromatic color combo. This includes, my hyperblack wheels, my blackened B-Pillar, sail panel and mirrors, a black rubber radio antenna, or a carbon fiber hood for that matter. It's a trial & error situation. I can't lose either way! I will post updated pics along with a poll to let you guys give an opinion with an actual view of the finished product....

Maybe it will look good when it's together... Okay, that's enough writing and money spending for today . Good night guys.

XL
Quote:

monochromatic color combo

Kind of an oxymoron there huh....

Dude, do your car how you want, people have opinions and they vary extremely, you're not going to please everybody. I wouldn't buy one though...
isn't $150 shipping a bit much?
go RAIDERS!!! oh wait, i heard black and silver and thought this was about.....oh nevermind

that's what i think of when i think of getting a cf hood for my silver csvt. especially if i get black windows and the cf redneck trunk.
Hey come on guys... it's a hood! It can come on and off whenever!
I think it will look sick. Congrats on the win. Although it's not really a GOOD deal (aka, still cost over 400.00). But, atleast you got one. I think it looks better than the regual CF hood. If I ever bought one, I would get the cowl hood as well, but I'd be diffrent and have it painted to match the car. Now that would look sick.
Originally posted by LilRedRocket:
I think it will look sick. Congrats on the win. Although it's not really a GOOD deal (aka, still cost over 400.00). But, atleast you got one. I think it looks better than the regual CF hood. If I ever bought one, I would get the cowl hood as well, but I'd be diffrent and have it painted to match the car. Now that would look sick.

Carbon fiber can be painted??????
I beleive so. There are quite a few people with CF hoods that have painted them. CF is just a woven fibourous resin. A corvette body is resin... helmets are resin..... hockey sticks are CF.....

And don't take it off just because a bunch of jealous CEG'ers say they don't like it.. It's not their car and they aren't paying for your mods.. I think it'll look good, as I've already seen the CF cowl hood on both ScottD & Chris Wong's Silver SVTs.. With the black wheels it'll look damn good..

If you're looking for opinions, and you have the extra $$$, you might look into getting it painted.. I believe Mikey Boy did a photoshop of Stazi's car with his cowl hood painted Silver to match and it looked fuggin' badass!!

Stazi's hood P/S'd Silver

Mark
I beleive so. There are quite a few people with CF hoods that have painted them.

I thought the purpose of having a carbon fiber hood was to show off the um... what's that thingamabob called... oh... yeah... the carbon fiber? LOL

XL
Depends on your taste. The REAL people who by CF parts is for the lightness. 16 pound hood versus a god know how heavy steel one. The fact is, you can't get a steel cowl induction hood.. and some people want it to look "factory". Do a search for a t-red svt with a cowl hood that was painted... inthe pics forumn a month or two ago. He also had milan projectors.
I beleive so. There are quite a few people with CF hoods that have painted them.

I thought the purpose of having a carbon fiber hood was to show off the um... what's that thingamabob called... oh... yeah... the carbon fiber? LOL

XL

That is PART of the purpose of carbon fiber.. The other part is dropping weight.. But since there aren't really any aftermarket hoods for the Contours that come in fiberglass, we have to work with what we have available.. My car is black and I still think I'm gonna paint the hood when I end up getting one..

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

First Comment:
Second Comment: I did buy it for the weight purpose primarily. The fact that it happens to be dark and would compliment everything that is black on my car including the wheels just happens to be a bonus.

PS: Gawd daayyyyyyyyuuuummmm that Frosty looks good with the painted CF!!! And the mirko!

These carz are just too damn beautafal!
Depends on your taste. The REAL people who by CF parts is for the lightness. 16 pound hood versus a god know how heavy steel one. The fact is, you can't get a steel cowl induction hood.. and some people want it to look "factory". Do a search for a t-red svt with a cowl hood that was painted... inthe pics forumn a month or two ago. He also had milan projectors.

ithink the factory hood is around 40-45 pounds iirc...that t-red car was bad a$$
there is a fiberglass hood made for 98+ tours..its the evo style hood...i posted it last week??
Originally posted by tour96se:

ithink the factory hood is around 40-45 pounds iirc...that t-red car was bad a$$

Happen to have a pic of that car??? .. I've searched and can't locate it now.
Mark, have you seen one personnally? I'm just curious, because all the local guys who have seen ScottyD's car (and Scotty to the MF'ing D himself) are not too happy with the fitment of the hood. From a distance and in the pictures, I will say that it does make the car look good, but if the fitment is an issue, then its a waste of $$ IMO. Hell, how many guys used to [censored] about bumper sag etc. Theres another fitment issue.

So, if you can deal with huge gaps as I said before, go for it. Personally, I'm staying away til fitment issues are resolved if ever.

And don't take it off just because a bunch of jealous CEG'ers say they don't like it.. It's not their car and they aren't paying for your mods.. I think it'll look good, as I've already seen the CF cowl hood on both ScottD & Chris Wong's Silver SVTs.. With the black wheels it'll look damn good..

If you're looking for opinions, and you have the extra $$$, you might look into getting it painted.. I believe Mikey Boy did a photoshop of Stazi's car with his cowl hood painted Silver to match and it looked fuggin' badass!!

Mark

Stazi's hood appears to fit fine in person.
I thought Stazi complained about the same things when he installed his?
Stazi's hood appears to fit fine in person.

Haven't seen one personally yet.. I'm wondering what everyone has done as far as adjusting fenders to make everything line up.. I don't want to HAVE TO adjust anything, but if it takes a little work, then it may be worth it..

Tour96se, lets see that EVO style hood again!!

Mark
I actually dig those. Don't those fit good?

Tour96se, lets see that EVO style hood again!!

Mark

Let's see some Contys with CF period! I want to start getting ideas on how it will look. If you can post pics of frostys even better .

XL
Search.
Search.

Goodness Durate... you seem pretty knowledeable on a lot of things.. I must say. I'm disapointed. There are probably HUNDREDS of posts with CF hoods, type in mikeyboy.. he's got one, ParkedCar.. he's got one, WA2Tuff.. he's got one, Stazi... he's got one.
Lazyness bug strikes again and I am ashamed at myself . BRB...

If you're going to hang yourself, PM me your address so I can come pick up your car!
That hood looks like ass on a tour. If you want to ruin the lines and smooth look get it.
Uhmmmm... he already bought it.. like yesterday,
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
That hood looks like ass on a tour. If you want to ruin the lines and smooth look get it.

Why are people saying it ruints the smooth lines? The damn cowl IS smooth!! People act like it's one of the JEG'S 8" monster cowls meant for an IROC Camaro.. WTF?? The cowl is small and smooth, gives an aggressive look, and doesn't take away from the body lines.. What am I not seeing???

Mark
I think its the 'bird' bath that 'ruins' the hood....and I think thats what everyone else is referring too.

Why are people saying it ruints the smooth lines? The damn cowl IS smooth!! People act like it's one of the JEG'S 8" monster cowls meant for an IROC Camaro.. WTF?? The cowl is small and smooth, gives an aggressive look, and doesn't take away from the body lines.. What am I not seeing???

Mark

Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I think its the 'bird' bath that 'ruins' the hood....and I think thats what everyone else is referring too.

Mark

Oooooooh Well in that case, to each his own..

Ive been searching like mad and can't find EITHER, the red SVT with painted cowl hood, OR an EVO style fiberglass hood?? Anyone??

Mark
Originally posted by tour96se:
there is a fiberglass hood made for 98+ tours..its the evo style hood...i posted it last week??

What forum ?? I searched and couldn't find the damned thing ...
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Mark

Oooooooh Well in that case, to each his own..

Ive been searching like mad and can't find EITHER, the red SVT with painted cowl hood, OR an EVO style fiberglass hood?? Anyone??

Mark

Umm evo style is what the Norcal GB is doing. I think you can get it in fiberglass too.

Umm evo style is what the Norcal GB is doing. I think you can get it in fiberglass too.

I wonder if they'll sell it for less than $600 or $660 if we order in fiberglass.. $600+ is a little outlandish for a hood IMO.. And from the looks of it, they're having fitment issues also.. I really wish they would have narrowed the hood scoop to look like Mikey Boy's photoshop.. That'd be perfect..

Mark
heres the hood...also available in cf...
© CEG Archives