Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/25/05 09:53 PM
So are Contours disposable? Mine 1998 just hit 100K miles and it seems to be dieing. I have replaced a hub and bearing (and need a 2nd), O2 sensors, speed sensors, clutch and not I am about to go pay for new Timing chain guides and tensioners.

We have owned it since we bought it new with 12 miles. We change the oil regularly, and try to do routine upkeep. To be fair it did give us many years with little trouble.

It just seems that the past 20K miles or so, everything has been going wrong with it. I feel like I am slowly replacing everything but the body.

Is that the reason that most of the enthusiasts (like people on this site) are so knowledgable and experienced with their cars? They have had to be to keep them running?
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/25/05 10:21 PM
uhhh, Pretty much any car will begin to need parts replaced at 100k miles.

If you actually think about how much 100k miles is it can put it into perspective. Things wear down over time and have to be replaced.

nothing lasts forever.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 12:13 AM
Shoot no. I have a 98.5 with over 140k on the clock and yeah, we've had to replace a FEW things, but very few. It really depends on how well you take care of it. At 100K though, things are going to start going bad for once, it's not a reason to get rid of the car though. Fix things and move on, they'll last as long as you let them.
Posted By: dbateman Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 02:43 AM
Meancontour, how hard to you drive it? Do you spin the tires often? Rev it to the redline often?

Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 03:42 AM
Originally posted by meancontour:
I have replaced a hub and bearing (and need a 2nd), O2 sensors, speed sensors, clutch and not I am about to go pay for new Timing chain guides and tensioners.

Bearings, and clutch are wear items, O2 sensors don't last forever so I wouldn't worry about them, no surprise there. I've had to replace the VSS on mine too. Nothing sounds out of the ordinary there.

As for the timing chain guides & tensioners ... I would personally get a second opinion on that, but if it is then I think that's more sh*t luck than anything else.

Our cars are no more disposable than any other really.
Posted By: SonofSHO Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 05:15 AM
Most cars, (and Fords in particular) will go through a big maintenance cylce at 90-100K miles or so. Expensive things like the AC compressor and ATX will be replaced, and neither of these are cheap to fix. This is the main reason why our cars have such poor resale value.

I usually buy most of my cars at this point and have a relatively good next 100K. The 2000 SVT I just bought has already had the engine, tranny, clutch and AC rebuilt. The way I see it, it should be good to go for a few years.
Posted By: Beachboy_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 05:28 AM
I've got 170,000 on my Mystique, and other than the scheduled maintenance, intake manifold gaskets, front brake pads and rotors, etc, I haven't had any surprises with my car. But I follow the factory maintenance schedule religiously, and drive extremely conservatively.

But getting back to disposable.....YES, I have heard Ford technicians refer to Contours/Mystiques as "disposable cars" and legend has it they cheer every time one of them hits the junkyard. The Contours are forever associated with Jac Nasser, one of the most hated men ever to run Ford Motor Company. The Contour was overpriced by about $3000 for its market class, often times costing MORE than a similarily equipped Taurus. I have read that Ford actually lost money on every Contour they sold, but they "had" to keep them on the market to compete with Grand Am's and
Century's.

Every time I take my Mystique to the dealer for its monthly oil change, the service manager always asks me when I'm trading "that thing" in for a "good" car. I tell him when it hits 200,000 miles, we'll talk.

Posted By: zzzcool Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 05:30 AM
As other said these are wear items, if you don't don't do your own repairs little thing here and there could add up,if you have the $ to spread that is nothing worng to tread your youself a new car at this point.
Posted By: dbateman Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 05:42 AM

I've replaced very few things on mine. The water pump is the biggest. I'm still on my original clutch, bearings, starter, alternator, etc.

Just like most other cars, some are better, some are worse.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/26/05 10:45 AM
Welcome to the real world. Cars don't last forever, unless you want to spend big money replacing every part.

Do you wear the same shoes or underwear forever???
Posted By: lsneo Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/27/05 06:00 AM
only one pair of undies
Posted By: dbateman Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 02/27/05 06:04 AM
Ever notice people start these troll-ish threads and never come back?

Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 03:05 PM
Trollish?
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 03:15 PM
Originally posted by dbateman:
Meancontour, how hard to you drive it? Do you spin the tires often? Rev it to the redline often?

Redline? No, I shift in the 3-4K range. Spin the tires, no. I'm not really a racer, just trying to get to work and back home.

My wife the schoolteacher drove the car for it's first 4 years or so.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 975Altima:
Welcome to the real world. Cars don't last forever, unless you want to spend big money replacing every part.

Do you wear the same shoes or underwear forever???

Maybe I have/ had unrealistic hopes/ expectations. We've only had the damn thing paid for for a year or so, and now we are beginning the process of replacing every part.

I guess the fact of the matter is that having a car costs money. You are either paying for a newer car (and maybe repairs) or fixing an older, paid for car. We had just hoped that we had made an investment, and could one day trade it in, but it isn't really worth anything.
Posted By: dbateman Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 04:36 PM

Maybe I have/ had unrealistic hopes/ expectations. We've only had the damn thing paid for for a year or so, and now we are beginning the process of replacing every part.

I guess the fact of the matter is that having a car costs money. You are either paying for a newer car (and maybe repairs) or fixing an older, paid for car. We had just hoped that we had made an investment, and could one day trade it in, but it isn't really worth anything.

Assuming you've taken care of the car, it's not unrealistic to expect it to run well. I guess you've just had more than your share of bad luck with it. There could be some factor that makes your car more unreliable than normal Contours, if you can figure it out you'll be better off for it.

However it is unrealistic to think of a Contour as an investment. Certain cars are investments, maybe SVT Contours 20 years from now, maybe Camaros & Mustangs, but probably not a Contour.
Posted By: Savior Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 04:52 PM
This is true; soup up an SVT and keep it in pristine condition, one day it may be a collector's item.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 04:54 PM
"SAVIOR" CAR!!
Posted By: rouar Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Savior:
This is true; soup up an SVT and keep it in pristine condition, one day it may be a collector's item.

haha .. the way a first generation Taurus SHO (comparable car from an earlier decade) is now?
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 06:16 PM
So are Contours disposable? Mine 1998 just hit 100K miles and it seems to be dieing. I have replaced a hub and bearing (and need a 2nd), O2 sensors, speed sensors, clutch and not I am about to go pay for new Timing chain guides and tensioners.

We have owned it since we bought it new with 12 miles. We change the oil regularly, and try to do routine upkeep. To be fair it did give us many years with little trouble.

It just seems that the past 20K miles or so, everything has been going wrong with it. I feel like I am slowly replacing everything but the body.

Is that the reason that most of the enthusiasts (like people on this site) are so knowledgable and experienced with their cars? They have had to be to keep them running?

Point #1: Machines wear out. Regular oil changes are good, but they won't prevent a wheel bearing from going bad. Wheel bearings are "R&R" items that wear. In fact, everything you cite is pretty much a normal wear item, and you're lucky to get 100k before having to do them.

Point #2: Americans tend to have somewhat unrealistic expectations of their cars. It is very common to feel the way you are feeling. I've felt it.

Point #3: Complex systems require "maintenance" and sometimes, "repair," which equals "money." My house and my car are about the same age. Should I replace my house when the furnace stops working? My car is in better shape than the house because it's paid off. Most cars are available with warranties that will cover you for at least the term of the loan. After that, you are on your own, but not "free." Plan for the expense of ownership.

Point #4: This car is no worse than most others. Some cars are more "reliable," but might have more expensive "repairs" when things do go wrong. Most "reliability" rating systems, such as JD Power, or Consumer Reports, are statistically tainted in some way. Not that they aren't useful, but you just about need a degree in statistics (and maybe psychology) to truly understand what the data really mean, (apart from what they want you to think.)

Point #5: Enthusiasts are knowledgeable about these cars for several reasons. It's a car worth knowing, for one, and doing the simple stuff yourself can save you a ton of money, for another. Besides, true enthusiasts are going to learn about whatever car they own.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 08:25 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

Point #1: Machines wear out. Regular oil changes are good, but they won't prevent a wheel bearing from going bad. Wheel bearings are "R&R" items that wear. In fact, everything you cite is pretty much a normal wear item, and you're lucky to get 100k before having to do them.

Point #2: Americans tend to have somewhat unrealistic expectations of their cars. It is very common to feel the way you are feeling. I've felt it.

Point #3: Complex systems require "maintenance" and sometimes, "repair," which equals "money." My house and my car are about the same age. Should I replace my house when the furnace stops working? My car is in better shape than the house because it's paid off. Most cars are available with warranties that will cover you for at least the term of the loan. After that, you are on your own, but not "free." Plan for the expense of ownership.

Point #4: This car is no worse than most others. Some cars are more "reliable," but might have more expensive "repairs" when things do go wrong. Most "reliability" rating systems, such as JD Power, or Consumer Reports, are statistically tainted in some way. Not that they aren't useful, but you just about need a degree in statistics (and maybe psychology) to truly understand what the data really mean, (apart from what they want you to think.)

Point #5: Enthusiasts are knowledgeable about these cars for several reasons. It's a car worth knowing, for one, and doing the simple stuff yourself can save you a ton of money, for another. Besides, true enthusiasts are going to learn about whatever car they own.

Thanks. You make a lot of good points. I guess there is no easy answer, cars cost money.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 08:28 PM
Originally posted by dbateman:

Assuming you've taken care of the car, it's not unrealistic to expect it to run well. I guess you've just had more than your share of bad luck with it. There could be some factor that makes your car more unreliable than normal Contours, if you can figure it out you'll be better off for it.

However it is unrealistic to think of a Contour as an investment. Certain cars are investments, maybe SVT Contours 20 years from now, maybe Camaros & Mustangs, but probably not a Contour.

We've tried to care for and take care of the car, regular oil changes, etc. But I'm not a mechanic, and not made of money.

We had just hoped that the car would last for a while, and be worth something when it was time to trade it in, or to trade up. But I just put more money into it than the blue book says it is worth as a trade in...

My hopes were unrealistic, and I realize that now. It just sucks!

I has some plans of a few small mods/ upgrades but don't think I will bother now. Can't afford to play, and to pay all the time just to keep it running. Oh well. boo hoo
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 08:29 PM
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
"SAVIOR" CAR!!

?
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 08:36 PM
It depends where you want to take your car...
save you car....
Someone recommended me to buy an svt when i had a 1998 black murcury mystique because he said it would be cheaper to but an svt than to mod the mercury the way i wanted it. Boy was he wrong! so far i have done my tranny engine and just about every thing. Keep the body and just modify what you have. Just my .02 cents. I have been through it. everyone modifies their svt to something even more special. Make something special of your own. if i had my mystique i would have saved 9,000 that i could have put in too my car and then what was left over from what i am currently doing. I can tell you i would have the fastest platform out there already if i kept that thing. just a thought.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 08:52 PM
"SAVIOR" CAR!!

?

I wish that my Contour didn't need a Savior, but that I could savor it !
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 09:02 PM
I would say all cars are disposable, with a few exceptions. Anything that hits the junkyard someday is disposable. Classic cars are not, cars like Porsches are not. What percentage of non-wrecked Porsches go to the yard? It's a very low number. You fix it, because it's such an anazing piece of machinery. The contour is a relatively normal car. There comes a point when it is not worth fixing. I would say it's 200k or so, like most cars. Certain cars, when treated nicely (Subaru?) have better potential than others (Ford) to go well beyond 200k with not a huge amount of maintenence. However, it is not a certain thing, and depends on a lot of factors. You seem to have gotten a little on the unlucky side, but not too bad. I replaced the engine twice. I did the math once: I put on about 10k/yr. If I bought a brand new $20k car, and drove it for 10 years, 100k miles, before any serious repairs (powertrain), that would be about average. Most $20k cars are worth less than $5k at 100k miles and 10 years. I took the cost of maintenence from 100k to 200k and it is way less than $15k. Sure, you don't get the pleasure of a nice new car, but the costs are way, way less- $5k or less if you're lucky. That's a used engine, tranny, clutch, bearings, struts, and the labor. If you can do some work yourself, you save even more. I was a little peeved at getting a $1.2k engine replacement that lasted 1 year, 10k miles. well, per mile, the cost wasn't terrible. And that included a clutch that will last me until the car dies, and some other little parts. Really, not a bad deal. Now, my car doesn't drive like new. It is a little softer, a lot noisier, a whole lot dirtier, and more work to keep up on regular maintanence. But that's alright, because I've put $3k into this car over the last 3 years, discounting brakes, gas, oil changes, and all the other stuff that would still cost on a new car, as well as my wheels and audio. $1000 a year is less than my insurance! I have no reason to complain, that I can see, even though I'm getting my control arm bushing (thank you NAPA!) and tranny mount replaced this weekend. Wow, that was long. I'm going home.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
I would say all cars are disposable, with a few exceptions. Anything that hits the junkyard someday is disposable. Classic cars are not, cars like Porsches are not. What percentage of non-wrecked Porsches go to the yard? It's a very low number. You fix it, because it's such an anazing piece of machinery. The contour is a relatively normal car. There comes a point when it is not worth fixing. I would say it's 200k or so, like most cars. Certain cars, when treated nicely (Subaru?) have better potential than others (Ford) to go well beyond 200k with not a huge amount of maintenence. However, it is not a certain thing, and depends on a lot of factors. You seem to have gotten a little on the unlucky side, but not too bad. I replaced the engine twice. I did the math once: I put on about 10k/yr. If I bought a brand new $20k car, and drove it for 10 years, 100k miles, before any serious repairs (powertrain), that would be about average. Most $20k cars are worth less than $5k at 100k miles and 10 years. I took the cost of maintenence from 100k to 200k and it is way less than $15k. Sure, you don't get the pleasure of a nice new car, but the costs are way, way less- $5k or less if you're lucky. That's a used engine, tranny, clutch, bearings, struts, and the labor. If you can do some work yourself, you save even more. I was a little peeved at getting a $1.2k engine replacement that lasted 1 year, 10k miles. well, per mile, the cost wasn't terrible. And that included a clutch that will last me until the car dies, and some other little parts. Really, not a bad deal. Now, my car doesn't drive like new. It is a little softer, a lot noisier, a whole lot dirtier, and more work to keep up on regular maintanence. But that's alright, because I've put $3k into this car over the last 3 years, discounting brakes, gas, oil changes, and all the other stuff that would still cost on a new car, as well as my wheels and audio. $1000 a year is less than my insurance! I have no reason to complain, that I can see, even though I'm getting my control arm bushing (thank you NAPA!) and tranny mount replaced this weekend. Wow, that was long. I'm going home.

Good points. Obviously my expectations were unrealistic.

One thing though, from a money perspective I find it easier on the (somewhat strained- 2 kids...) checkbook to make a scheduled monthly payment (still repair possibilities I realize) than Hey surprise, here's $1100 (like I had to do yesterday- can you say credit card?)

Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 09:20 PM
The way I view it, there are very few cars that I can get new now that fit me personally the way that the Contour does. I like having a V6. I like having a stick shift. The size is right for the way I use it (don't need a big hauler but I need four doors and decent space), and I feel like I have a good understanding of the model's strengths, weaknesses, and how to get the best out of it. I don't owe anything on mine, other than the need to sell my '95, and any money that goes into it is going to replace/improve the condition of the vehicle. I don't expect to ever get anything out of it that I don't put into it, but I'll enjoy having it. That's a liberating feeling.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 09:22 PM
It depends where you want to take your car...
save you car....
Someone recommended me to buy an svt when i had a 1998 black murcury mystique because he said it would be cheaper to but an svt than to mod the mercury the way i wanted it. Boy was he wrong! so far i have done my tranny engine and just about every thing. Keep the body and just modify what you have. Just my .02 cents. I have been through it. everyone modifies their svt to something even more special. Make something special of your own. if i had my mystique i would have saved 9,000 that i could have put in too my car and then what was left over from what i am currently doing. I can tell you i would have the fastest platform out there already if i kept that thing. just a thought.

Thanks for your input as well. I am not really wanting to take my car anywhere, I just need it to be safe and reliable. I need to get to work every morning, and home every night to my wife and kids.

I guess that makes me old and boring... ???
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Renee:
Shoot no. I have a 98.5 with over 140k on the clock and yeah, we've had to replace a FEW things, but very few. It really depends on how well you take care of it. At 100K though, things are going to start going bad for once, it's not a reason to get rid of the car though. Fix things and move on, they'll last as long as you let them.

Ignorance speaking (maybe/ probably), but please define "take care of it". The only thing I know to do is to change the oil every 3000 miles or so, and fix broken things. What other things should be done around 100K miles? Coolant flush? Replace MTX fluid? Serpentine belt? What else?
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
The way I view it, there are very few cars that I can get new now that fit me personally the way that the Contour does. I like having a V6. I like having a stick shift. The size is right for the way I use it (don't need a big hauler but I need four doors and decent space), and I feel like I have a good understanding of the model's strengths, weaknesses, and how to get the best out of it. I don't owe anything on mine, other than the need to sell my '95, and any money that goes into it is going to replace/improve the condition of the vehicle. I don't expect to ever get anything out of it that I don't put into it, but I'll enjoy having it. That's a liberating feeling.

I'm with you. My Contour really suits me. I love the V6 Manual, but it has a back seat, and I can carry my bicycles easily.

But I'm just worried that it will become a money pit, something it has not been until recently.

Mine is paid for as well. I guess the unrealistic part of my hope for it is that now that it is paid for I had hoped to not have to put much money into it, over gas, insurance, and oil changes. Unrealistic, I'm now realizing.

Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 10:10 PM
Just look at it as a few more car payments. Plus, going forward, if/when you have a component that may need replacing, you've got the option of improving the car in the process. With my last one, for example, the front brakes were a little warped and needed new pads, and I spent a few extra bucks to put SVT rotors and braided stainless hoses up front. The difference in stopping distance and feel was noticeable and FUN.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Just look at it as a few more car payments. Plus, going forward, if/when you have a component that may need replacing, you've got the option of improving the car in the process. With my last one, for example, the front brakes were a little warped and needed new pads, and I spent a few extra bucks to put SVT rotors and braided stainless hoses up front. The difference in stopping distance and feel was noticeable and FUN.

This is my approach! Now if those pads would just wear out...
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/01/05 10:33 PM

One thing though, from a money perspective I find it easier on the (somewhat strained- 2 kids...) checkbook to make a scheduled monthly payment (still repair possibilities I realize) than Hey surprise, here's $1100 (like I had to do yesterday- can you say credit card?)

You should have a cash reserve in something like a money market account. If you don't have a car payment, you should be paying yourself something every month. I'd say at least $200 a month is reasonable. Over time, you'll have a buffer for all of those financial emergencies that pop up (Washing machine dies, Car needs new clutch, Death in the family, etc.) This is basic financial common sense.

If you can afford a car payment, you can afford to put money in savings when you don't have a car payment.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/02/05 01:59 PM

You should have a cash reserve in something like a money market account. If you don't have a car payment, you should be paying yourself something every month. I'd say at least $200 a month is reasonable. Over time, you'll have a buffer for all of those financial emergencies that pop up (Washing machine dies, Car needs new clutch, Death in the family, etc.) This is basic financial common sense.

If you can afford a car payment, you can afford to put money in savings when you don't have a car payment.

If only that last statement were true. We live in the 3rd most expensive housing market in the U.S. (behind Los Angeles, and San Francisco) the Boston area. Any extra money that doesn't HAVE to go out (if there is such a thing) goes towards trying to get ready to buy a home this year. Also when we (overspent) on our Van last year, we were counting on the Contour's payments ending, and that money going towards the van.

I know that your advice is good, but not always realistic. Kids and wives seem to always need something.

Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/02/05 02:34 PM

Anyway, I was mostly frustrated by having another surprise problem with the car. We really do like the car, and have done our (ignorant) best to care for it.

My hopes were unrealistic for it's care-free longevity, obviously. I guess we will just do the best that we can to take care of it and repair it, since it has been a really good car for us. Plus there is that nostalgia of it being the first (and only so far) BRAND NEW CAR we have ever bought.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/02/05 03:37 PM
Also when we (overspent) on our Van last year, we were counting on the Contour's payments ending, and that money going towards the van.

I know that your advice is good, but not always realistic. Kids and wives seem to always need something.

Thanks for your input.

Well, I have a wife and 4 kids, and they all need something, too, but luckily my wife understands the value of saving money. (Well, maybe she understands it a bit too well. )

I understand what you're saying about being realistic. It's realistic for me that when our Minivan paid off last year, there was nothing else in particular for that money to go into. So, it started going into savings. Meanwhile we were able to refinance the mortgage and add to the house with only a slight bump in our monthly payment. I live in one of the cheapest areas in the country, and send my kids to a Catholic school system that doesn't charge tuition. I live about 4 miles from work, so my yearly mileage is very low.

I was fortunate in that my Contour didn't really need major repairs while the van payments were going out. I think we did the same thing you did, at one time. The Contour paid off, and we got the minivan, along with the house payment, etc. We didn't really have much of a cash reserve. We got lucky.

Now, if my company transferred us anywhere else, like, say, Chicago or St Louis, our cost of living would shoot up considerably. I'm not sure where we'd be, then. Probably close to where you are, with a 10 year old car creeping toward 100k, and maybe a longer commute, a higher house payment, tuition... Oh yeah, the van's extended warranty runs out in a year. All the more reason to build up savings now, I guess.

In short, I understand your situation because I've lived it to a degree. But there's always the future.

Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/02/05 07:20 PM
Also when we (overspent) on our Van last year, we were counting on the Contour's payments ending, and that money going towards the van.

Thanks for your input.

Well, I have a wife and 4 kids, and they all need something, too, but luckily my wife understands the value of saving money. (Well, maybe she understands it a bit too well. )

I understand what you're saying about being realistic. It's realistic for me that when our Minivan paid off last year, there was nothing else in particular for that money to go into. So, it started going into savings. Meanwhile we were able to refinance the mortgage and add to the house with only a slight bump in our monthly payment. I live in one of the cheapest areas in the country, and send my kids to a Catholic school system that doesn't charge tuition. I live about 4 miles from work, so my yearly mileage is very low.

I was fortunate in that my Contour didn't really need major repairs while the van payments were going out. I think we did the same thing you did, at one time. The Contour paid off, and we got the minivan, along with the house payment, etc. We didn't really have much of a cash reserve. We got lucky.

Now, if my company transferred us anywhere else, like, say, Chicago or St Louis, our cost of living would shoot up considerably. I'm not sure where we'd be, then. Probably close to where you are, with a 10 year old car creeping toward 100k, and maybe a longer commute, a higher house payment, tuition... Oh yeah, the van's extended warranty runs out in a year. All the more reason to build up savings now, I guess.

In short, I understand your situation because I've lived it to a degree. But there's always the future.

You mean there is hope? That's good to hear, THANKS ! ! !

Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/06/05 02:02 AM
I see some of your points now, "meany". I did post earlier "Cars don't last forever" in response to expecting an over 100K car to run as new. Yet some cars can cost less to own and have better resale.

I hate surprise repairs too. Sure some say "DIY", but who has a full repair shop to fix FWD componentry?

I had Tours and there were too many "surprises" at 70K-80k miles. Plus resale is a killer, try selling one, only CEG members want one, and they will buy low.
=======================================================
Predicting a "classic car" is a crap shoot. Contours are not in same league as Stangs or sports coupes.

Also, 20 years is not enough time to call something a "classic" or "collectable". Try 35-40+ years for "big $$$" collector cars. What 20 year old 1985 domestic cars are truly "classics" that are selling for lots of cash???? Example, 1989 SHO's are still cheap, and no colectors are dying for them.

if you really think your C-SVT is "going to be worth lots of $$ someday", you will probably have to wait 30-40+ years, not 20.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/06/05 05:11 AM
The Contour in my household has nearly 85,000 on it, and very little has had to be done to it. I know it will start though, as soon as the extended warranty is over...
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/06/05 03:30 PM
its all a matter of luck....i've had my car since it had 42500 miles, it now has 122k, the only things it has ever needed, altenator,and two wheel bearings,and a new pcv hose..........thats it the only one that was a suprise was the recent wheel bearing failure,just seemed to happen out of the blue
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/06/05 11:00 PM
A lady in my condo has a 1998 Zetec and it died today. HAd to have it towed here, then it started right up! She has had many problems, and it only has 50K miles.
Posted By: conturd Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/07/05 03:32 AM
Sure they are disposable. Not as disposable as a Hyundai. If you want a car that last forever get a Volvo. Their parts usually cost twice as much, right down to the spark plugs.

I always buy used cars for less than 2 grand. I don't have to spend alot on insurance, taxes and never have a car payment.They last 2-3 years so thats cool. Sure stuff breaks but I consider it a learning experince as I am not a gearhead but I do like spending the day in my driveway swearing at my car.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 03/07/05 08:13 AM
This thread is funny. Anyway, one of my tours has 187K on it and the previous owner and I have had not had any major problems. Just a water pump from what i hear. Still has original clutch/starter etc. My other tour has just over 90K and the only pronblems its ever given me were fuel pump related.

I am very anal on reg maintenance but am no mechanic. I keep up on the fluid changing intervals as well as the spark plugs/wires and fuel filters. I plan on keeping my cars for some time so for me it makes sense to invest in them.

Here are a couple commets/suggestions that I have for you. I dont know your financial state but for you the best idea I would think would be to lease your vehicles or atleast one of them. That way all repairs are covered, you get a new vehicle, payments are usually a lot lower than payments if you were to buy the vehicle and its reliable transportation for you family. Like you said you had money for the payments before but it goes to other things when its not there.Trust me if you make room for the payments and expect them to come regularily like they have you wont really notice the money going to them like you would when you are trying to put that money away for repairs.

Having a payment all the time is a lot more consistant than saving and trying to predict when your car is going to need expensive maintenance or repairs. You wouldnt likely have to deal with brakes,tires etc pretty much only oil changes and that seems to be what works for you.

Leases are good for the right vehicles, if you lease one that has a slower deprecieation rate say like a camrey or accord or oddessey the lease payments will be alot lower than if you lease a taurus or freestar as they are based on the value the car looses inthe time you have it to the time you turn it back in.

One thing to keep in mind is that cars are not an investment so to speak as they continuously deprecieate and hopeing to get something on trade in is usually unrealistic or a lot lower than you should get for it. You will almost always enf up putting more money into the car than the resale value is worth so try and not count on that money to be there when you initially buy the car.

My gf and I plan to get marrried in a couple of years. We have decided that we will lease one vehicle and that will be the one that is dedicated as a family vehicle and the other may or may not be leased depending on the situation.I like to tinker with the cars and do the maintenace myself so keeping an older car that i have kept up on makes sense to me.

Leasing is what my parents did so there was always a vehicle that was reliable and dependable for the kids and so my mother wouldnt be found stranded on the side of the highway with us.

If for some reason you cant lease or it doesnt make sense to, I would suggest putting away the same amount of moeny when you actually pay the vehicle off into a savings account. I would recommend having it automatically withdrawn for your account and put into the savings account so you dont notice the extra money. That way when sh!t goes down you have a back up or at least a healthy down payment for a newer vehcile.

Just some thoughts, hope they can help
Posted By: MazTour Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 07/31/05 02:40 PM
I realize this thread is a few months old,but I came across it while searching for some stuff.

In 1997,my aunt and uncle went out and leased a 1998 Mystique GS Sport with a 4 cyl and automatic. It was a lemon from the first day they brought it home. The car spent more time in the shop than on the road,yet they still managed to rack up a ton of miles. The only reason they kept the car is because my aunt just loved the styline (plus it was black,so it looked even better). After the lease was up,they bought out the car for $5000. At about 155 000km,the original engine died and they had a new transmission and engine installed under warranty. Later they sold the car to their son who drove it for 2 years and racked up lots of miles on it. I bought the car last summer for $1000 with 211 000km on the body. overall,for it's age and milage,it was in good condition. I modified the looks and the stereo,but left the engine stock. I owned the car for 10 months and didn't have a single problem with it (only routine maintenance,new tires and new brakes) until 3 days before I sold it,when I needed a new thermostat and plug wires. When I sold it,I had 253 000km on it,and it was running well,but the body was starting to need work,and I was getting tired of the 4 cyl and automatic. I loved the car so much that I decided to go out and buy a Pre98 with a V6 and 5 speed because I always liked them.

So,I traded in my '98 Mystique,with 253k on the body,approx. 100k on the engine and drivetrain,newish tires,recently done brakes,and a bunch of aesthetic mods. The dealer gave me $1000 for it,and ended up selling the car for $650.
The Contour I traded it in on,was a '95 GL,V6 MTX. It had 260 000km on it,and they wanted $1200. The body was in good shaoe. No rust,no dents,but the fuel door was missing and the paint on the hood and bumper is chipping. However,I bought the car with the intention from day 1 to modify it. It was a 1 owner car,and I later found out,that somehow,everything lasted 260k because not a single item on the car was ever replaced.

Since I've owned the car since May 3rd,2005,and today is July 31,2005,I have replaced,in order:

For safety inspection:
-Both rear struts and springs. Both struts were shot and one spring was actually broken.
-Both rear rotors and pads.
-e-brake cable
-3rd brake light was inoperative and replaced
-lower balljoints replaced (ripped boots)

After safety came:
-Transmission. 3rd gear synchro was shot when I bought it. I bought a used tranny and had it put in. So far so good.
-Plug wires. Upgraded to Ford Racing 9mm.
-Upgraded piss poor headlights to Silverstars so I could actually see...but I still can't.
-Front brake pads
-Both front wheel bearings (one was shot)
-Both CV shafts (both went within 2 days)
-Rims & tires (my tires on the car were worn out,and I had crappy steel rims,so thanks to a CEG'er,I got a deal on some SVT rims with Potenzas on them)
-Water pump and belt

My car currently has 276 3xx KM on it as it sits in my driveway. I bought it with 260 800km on it. In almost 3 months I have put almost 16 000km on it,and I've spent over $4000. I'll never see my money back out of this car,but I bought it as a project car,and I love this car and it would take a lot for me to get rid of it.

This car really could have gone to the wreckers,and you know,had someone else bought it,it could have already been there with all the work I've needed to do on it. If I turned around to sell my car right now,I bet I wouldn't even see $1800 for it.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Contours/ Fords disposable? - 08/01/05 09:45 AM
this wear out over time man. i have a 99 se zetec with 122k still runs like a champ original engine and ATX.
© CEG Archives