Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: KingpinSVT wiring harness recall - 01/18/05 02:15 AM
after rebuilding my sisters UIM and LIM and finding some really crappy wiring, she is taking her car in under the recall. she found out that the recall is up in ONE MONTH! so if you need it done, you have to inquire about it RIGHT NOW!
Posted By: CoolSVT_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/18/05 02:16 AM
What is this recall for? Make/model/problem?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: wiring harness recall - 01/18/05 02:17 AM
i think it was only on the pre-98s, and the insulation practically falls off the wires when touched.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/18/05 04:07 AM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
i think it was only on the pre-98s, and the insulation practically falls off the wires when touched.

got mine done a couple months ago. My injector harness was cracked to hell! Luckily, i was still under 100K.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: wiring harness recall - 01/18/05 04:32 AM
what will happen if i go in for a recall with my 3L?

i have different injector connectors spliced on, and i have some tranny wires spliced (ATX->MTX swap) am i still eligible?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/18/05 03:57 PM
mmm probably not.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 12:14 AM
My father is driving my old '96 SE. What, if anything, is different about having the problem fixed if over 100k miles?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 12:34 AM
you dont qualify for the recall after 100,000.
Posted By: BradfordScales Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 06:28 AM
Is there a recall number attached to this?

Is this so recent it wouldn't be available on the online recall listings?
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 11:45 AM
wiring recall
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 03:40 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
you dont qualify for the recall after 100,000.

I've heard stories of people negotiating partial coverage after 100K, but personally, while I'd love a nice '96-'97 SE MTX, I wouldn't touch one now that had over 100K miles if the service wasn't done.
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 04:03 PM
"over 100K miles if the service wasn't done."

as a used car buyer how would you know if the service was done the recall 99m03 specifically
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/19/05 04:05 PM
Is deterorating electrical wiring issues just a ford issue or a car industry issue.

Should I really expect a 15 to 20 year old car to have good wiring.
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/20/05 02:25 PM
I just contacted a blue oval ford and to have the 99m03 program not recall. done for a fee of course. It seems that the difference between a program and recall is the word mandatory.
Posted By: MystiqueSVT_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/20/05 10:48 PM
Yes, it is not a recall but a Technical Service Bulletin. It will only be fixed if you bring the car in and show them the cracking insulation.

Apparently, in 95, 96 and 97 Ford switched to a different composition of the insulation material. Obviously they made a mistake. Of course...Ford did not issue a recall because they insisted that it was not a safety issue.

I found all this out the hard way and I had to purchase all 4 wiring harnesses myself and install them. It takes about 24 hours to install all 4 harnesses.

By the way....I borrowed that nice little TSB document and posted it here!
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: wiring harness recall - 01/21/05 03:11 PM
MystiqueSVT was the plug going into the MAF one of the wire harnesses that is checked under this program?

below is the cost of the parts, grouped into one part number interesting enough, needed for this program

#(F5RZ 14K289-T6AB) IS $996.43(RETAIL $1328.57). Shipping would be about $30.00.

plus 7 hours labor at 92/hr = 644 labor

total 1640.43 so I will round it out to $2k for the other costs not included like this inspection fee I am being charged also mentioned in the program.

Should I really think the wiring within the engine bay should really hold up after 10 years of driving? Is faulty wiring really an old car issue? Though I have not yet concluded to purchase a new car one thing has crossed my mind that being for me to purchase a car with as few electronic options as possible.

So no power anything (windows, locks seat, steering), manual tranny only, no abs, no assisted driver controls, no cruise control, no radio. What I need is a stripper car.
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: wiring harness recall - 01/21/05 03:27 PM
Not really, electronic gizmos are made better these days.

The price for your wiring harness & work is about the total value of the car in EXCELLENT shape. If faced with the same decision I'd probably say it's time for something new.
© CEG Archives