Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Classifieds - 01/05/05 05:57 AM
I was looking thru the classidieds like I always do and was wondering if we could assign a moderator to keep things a little bit less messy in there. Things are under the wrong category way to often. It seems like a task that would'nt be to hard and something that we would all like to see (I think).
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:00 AM
I could handle that if noone else wants to. It'd be nice to do something helpful for the site. ... And I agree about the classifieds, and that's why I stopped even browsing them many months ago.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:02 AM
Yeah I was kind of pitching the fact that I could help also. I don't know what you guys think on if current Moderators should do it or if another group or just one person should do it.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:05 AM
It would be nice to not see wheel ads in the audio section
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:06 AM
I didn't know if you wanted to. That is fine by me. Or just one of the moderators could do it. I just figured as much as I'm on, I should be doing something creative.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:11 AM
I agree, it is awful in there. People post the same thing twice in each category. This is a great idea to mod. it. I could help out to, along w/ Kermit.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:13 AM
You guys are funny.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I could handle that if noone else wants to. It'd be nice to do something helpful for the site. ... And I agree about the classifieds, and that's why I stopped even browsing them many months ago.

yea same here, I'd help out. That dammn svt side skirt is everywhere!!

we need organization people!
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

Oh my fricking god you are so right... that guy doesn't even have any posts on this site! Pisses me off bigtime! Someone should email or call him, and let him know what a douche he is. From the ads: 314-368-9622 or Beldridg@ffic.com
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:

Oh my fricking god you are so right... that guy doesn't even have any posts on this site! Pisses me off bigtime! Someone should email or call him, and let him know what a douche he is. From the ads: 314-368-9622 or Beldridg@ffic.com

except for the fact that im not gonna call him..lol calm down buddy!
Posted By: irda Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 04:25 PM
just a suggestion, why don't we have a classifieds forum rather than / on top of just ads?
some other forums, they restrict posting in classifieds access until you've had your account 30 days or something like that.. that way you can recognize people, post comments, see if other people called dibs first, and you can post vouches for good sellers so other people know what they're getting into.
plus you can use the search function then..
i do like classifieds ads because you get them in categories, but there aren't too many new things up there every day so..

Mods - i know it's a lot of added work and i'm greatful for the job you do. just a suggestion.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 04:38 PM
I agree the classifieds are a huge irriation. Why must someone post the same thing in every listing, So annoying
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 04:42 PM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
I agree the classifieds are a huge irriation. Why must someone post the same thing in every listing, So annoying

I agree also
Posted By: DJ Capp 911 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:22 PM
Originally posted by irda:
just a suggestion, why don't we have a classifieds forum rather than / on top of just ads?
some other forums, they restrict posting in classifieds access until you've had your account 30 days or something like that.. that way you can recognize people, post comments, see if other people called dibs first, and you can post vouches for good sellers so other people know what they're getting into.
plus you can use the search function then..
i do like classifieds ads because you get them in categories, but there aren't too many new things up there every day so..

Mods - i know it's a lot of added work and i'm greatful for the job you do. just a suggestion.

I have seen it as a forum on other sites as well, not sure how i feel about it. You lose organization. I think perhaps in the classifieds ads should expire after 2 weeks with an option to renew, sometimes there are just too damn many things that have already been sold taking up space
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:24 PM

except for the fact that im not gonna call him..lol calm down buddy!

Lol, I know, I'm just joking. Hehe.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:31 PM
What do you Mods think?????????
Posted By: cthomp21 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 06:58 PM
I think a Classifieds Forum similar to www.rx7club.com would be most beneficial to seller and buyer.

You can't browse or post to the classifieds forum unless you're a registered user (would help to keep down the spam/scam posts).

You'd have separate sections for Vehicles for Sale, Parts for Sale, and Seller Feedback. The search function would make browsing through them a breeze.

My $.02

The current classifieds are irritating at best with cross-postings all over and items in the wrong sections. I've stopped browsing them because of this.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 07:31 PM
Originally posted by cthomp21:

You can't browse or post to the classifieds forum unless you're a registered user (would help to keep down the spam/scam posts).

Same here. But people are registering on this site just so they can post crap/scams. For example, the guy that has side skirts posted everywhere doesn't even have any posts. Maybe a 30 day waiting period would help. Or even something like the profiles on this site- if you wanted to post something in the classifieds, you would have to wait for it to be approved by a mod. Then the mod could decide where to put it, and nothing would be double posted.
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 08:14 PM
It would be a bit of work to clean up. Once cleaned maintaining it would be ok. I like some sort of criteria to list, but how realistic is that for the genuine people with something to sell? Some one metioned Grandma's Contour in another thread; what about the family who inherits Grandma's Contour and just want to sell a part or two? A person who has no real interest in the CEG (Blasphemy!)Granted that would be small percentage, but a consideration.

I personally do not have time to do it.

Mark
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 08:20 PM
Ok, well as long as it was approved, it would be ok, i guess. Any way to give me and kermit, or just one of us, etc, temp mod rights just for that forum? Or something like that?
Posted By: jerseyca�10 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 08:32 PM
this sounds like a reasonable idea. It would be one less thing that Lance would have to maintain. I don't think that a 30 day waiting period is a good idea, since a guy may be in a rush to sell something, and he may not be registered here.

Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 08:56 PM
I just wanna say that I like the idea of being able to use the search function, but with that said, i don't like the classified forums i have seen other places. I think if they just cleaned up what we currently have and added maybe a search feature? But overall excellent idea, I have been looking through the classifieds for a bit now and I was starting to get angry at people who posted something in every forum.
Posted By: rouar Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 09:06 PM
Moving the classifieds to the forums has been discussed before.

I do like the idea of moderating the classifieds as they exist, but I don't think that the possibility was put into the code. Lance coded the classifieds all himself, IIRC.
Posted By: DJ Capp 911 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 09:35 PM
it seems like if it were a forum you could easily remove the scam posts in the same way that other inappropriate posts get deleted so quickly! I like the idea of a cars for sale, Engine parts for sale, Aesthetics/audio for sale forums
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 10:05 PM
As long as ideas are being considered I'll toss one in too.

Do both. Clean up the existing classifieds or at least start maintaining them. Get a fresh moderator for it. Then also open a new forum to announce things that are getting posted in the classifieds. The forum would be locked as soon as the item is posted so there would be little maintenance needed.
Posted By: irda Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

Do both. Clean up the existing classifieds or at least start maintaining them.

I second that. the ads are good too, it breaks up into categories..
For the Forum, I think it's too much if you have engine, wheels, suspension, etc each in it's own forum. i think it's too much to browse. i like the idea of being able to go to 1 place and see everything (All parts) that's out there.. then 1 more just for vehicles - so that would be 2 in total.. duno just food for thought.

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 10:46 PM
I like it! Especailly locking the post, and requiring deals to be taken to PM. That would elimainate all the foolishness in simple posts.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 10:47 PM
Originally posted by irda:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

Do both. Clean up the existing classifieds or at least start maintaining them.

I second that. the ads are good too, it breaks up into categories..
For the Forum, I think it's too much if you have engine, wheels, suspension, etc each in it's own forum. i think it's too much to browse. i like the idea of being able to go to 1 place and see everything (All parts) that's out there.. then 1 more just for vehicles - so that would be 2 in total.. duno just food for thought.

Once you get on the classifieds pages, you can click edit & do a word search for what you're looking for, i.e. "wheels", "UIM", or whatever.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 11:31 PM
Originally posted by LilRedRocket:
I like it! Especailly locking the post, and requiring deals to be taken to PM. That would elimainate all the foolishness in simple posts.

Posted By: R_G Re: Classifieds - 01/05/05 11:55 PM

Oh my fricking god you are so right...

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 12:04 AM
An annoucement forum with locked threads and a cleaned up classifieds section sounds like a great idea. Good thinking big jim.
Posted By: SAV Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 12:53 AM
If anything, I'll nominate myself to help keep the classifieds clean, along with Matt and Ross.

I always wanted to help out CEG anyway. I even bought a calendar. Two. And I like green names anyway.

-SAV
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 01:23 AM
You could also make it so its only available to certain users, i.e. post count. Thats the way some sites do it. Maybe a section for vendors to post sales or a new products or any product for that matter.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:18 AM
Don't forget that a lot of this depends on available resources and system capability. I wonder if Lance has read this thread yet? Is any of this possible?
Posted By: DRAVEN_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:29 AM
and dont forget..can we learn the difference between TO...TOO..and TWO? also. Classifieds are just that..not another form of ebay. So, why are people asking for bids on stuff?
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:47 AM
Come on Mods. It seems like alot of us have came up with many ideas and are willing to help. We can't do anything without you guys behind us.
Posted By: SAV Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:51 AM
If you're referring to me as far as your differences in to, too and two, I was making the point that I purchased two "dos" (2...comes after 1.) calendars.

I wouldn't nominate myself for a moderating position if I didn't know how to spell.

-SAV
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:52 AM
Originally posted by SAV:
If you're referring to me as far as your differences in to, too and two, I was making the point that I purchased two "dos" (2...comes after 1.) calendars.

I wouldn't nominate myself for a moderating position if I didn't know how to spell.

-SAV

Okay guys no fighting. Lets just get somethign done with this. I am willing to do just about anything.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:59 AM
Okay guys I talked to a mod and he said that they can't take care of anything like that and Lance is the one to talk to. So all we can do now is wait and see what he says.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 03:54 AM
i agree with the minimum post count to place an ad but as also mentioned people who are not members may want to sell stuff without having to interact with all of our non-sensical drama for 100 posts or so. what about having a section to post ads that is open to public and one that only members can list in, but all can read?
i have gotten SOOOOO many of these stoopid scam emails with the few ads ive listed in here so the one i just did i didnt put my email address, pm only. dont think theyll waste their time with that. i also agree with the feedback idea although i would only buy something from another member anyway, not a stranger, and would hope that we can all trust each other.

i hope this takes off, i have actually been thinking about this recently while deletin some more bogus emails and also when seeing the same isht posted 15x in different categories. i dont even want to peruse the classifieds anymore due to all the clutter which means i might miss a good deal on something i want.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 03:57 AM
So is anyone going to contact Lance? I have never seen him post anywhere on here, so he prolly won't read this. Prolly leaves it up to the mods.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 05:01 AM
So is anyone going to contact Lance? I have never seen him post anywhere on here, so he prolly won't read this. Prolly leaves it up to the mods.

I already PMed him as stated in a previous post. I talked to another mod and he said Lance is the only one that could do the changes.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 05:28 AM
Ok sorry, I didn't realize you PMed Lance. I know that only Lance could do this, I was just saying Lance leaves the forums, etc, to be regulated by the mods.
Posted By: SAV Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 05:57 AM
Keep in mind that Lance is busy with Christy and their new baby, so he might not reply immediately. I do hope he grants us the ability to help out the rest of the website because CEG needs some responsible people now more than ever.

-SAV
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 01:30 PM
I like the way the classifieds are set up as they are (with categories & such) , as long as people would STICK to the correct ones . The only way the classifieds could be moderated would be if Lance himself does it (if I heard it correctly) . I don't think he's got the time for that ...

I'm not really thrilled about a "forum" for classifeds , unless they're split up into categories . It just makes it easier . I can't say I'm really thrilled about a post-count-qualified classified section either . Like was said , if someone wants to sell stuff to CEGers , but he/she doesn't post much (but maybe reads the CEG a lot) , should he/she be punished for that ? Or should we be punished for it .
I agree , we need a clean & sweep & then a further moderating of the classifieds , but I don't believe the code allows it .

Even with all the cross-posting & BS posts in the classifieds , I'm not above scrolling through them to check it out . The BIGGEST complaint I have is the size and amount of pictures allowed in the posts . Poor suckers (like me) on dial-up , are forced to suffer through waiting for 10-billion pixel pics to load up in order to look at the threads , even if it's not the post I'm interested in . Maybe we could put limits on that ??

My 2�¢
Posted By: irda Re: Classifieds - 01/06/05 02:59 PM
good suggestion mod2k, maybe the easiest solution for now is to have someone just mod the classifieds ads and just manually DELETE the ones posted in wrong section without question.

i guess you're right, it's kinda lame to just see threads of 'bump.' 'bumpity bump' 'up to the top' and also those that post 'i'll offer 3 dollars' but i guess there's always pro's and con's.

© CEG Archives