Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
sorry just had to do this for the hell of it.

mines Mexico
KC
KC
KC
KC
still got the KC sticker
Mexico and proud of it
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Mexico and proud of it

ha i thought i was the only one with the KC sticker on my windshield still...i tried picking at it but cant get it off!
Originally posted by AlbanianSteve:
ha i thought i was the only one with the KC sticker on my windshield still...i tried picking at it but cant get it off!

Got it too. Most are on rear windshield. Mine is on front, must be a year or mood of factory worker thing or something.
Mine is getting sorta moldy, I need to take it off.
i think it's cool. how many other cars have that on display? just shows how special they are. i think mine was made in Michigan or Illinois, ill have to check later.
Originally posted by svt4stv:
i think it's cool. how many other cars have that on display? just shows how special they are. i think mine was made in Michigan or Illinois, ill have to check later.

I don't think it was made in either of those places.
so much for foggy memory. i guess ill have to actually check tomorrow morning.
My 1997 was MEX, and current car is from Clayco MO, USA.
still got the KC sticker and proud of it.
Yup, my KC sticker is still on my front windshield as well.
Kansas City. I told the salesman that I would refuse delivery if my custom ordered Mystique was not made in the US.
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by svt4stv:

I don't think it was made in either of those places.

The Contour & Mystique was only made in Mexico or KC.

Both mine from KC, the 'stique had the sticker on the windsheild befor a rock decided we needed a new windshield.
Hecho en Mexico.
I've noticed something interesting about this...... Of all the Contours and Mystiques I've had(cut up or repaired), the ones from Mexico seem to be the ones that rust in odd places. I'm talking about rust in the middle of the roof or center of the truck lid etc. Not only the usual spots like door bottoms, wheel arches, that sort of thing. KC cars(in my experience)don't seem to get these out of place rust spots. It typically means that the chemical corrosion resistence process is flawed in the sheet metal. You would get taht sort of thing with cheap aftermarket parts. I would think though that the panels were all made in the same location and transported to the two factorys. Just a little something I've noticed.
KC sticker on the owners manual.
KC back windshield on both
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:
KC

Originally posted by Figols:
the ones from Mexico seem to be the ones that rust in odd places.

BS!

Hecho in Mexico here.
Mine was either made in Quahog, RI or in KC, MO I can't remember.
2 x KC
both rusted in the usual places, plus '96 rusted along the lower door sims
iirc.....kc on the rear window....but it was removed when it started looking funky
Originally posted by Rara:

Quahog is a real place? I thought it was just the town they made up for Family Guy!
Mine was made in KC, on the Friday before the holiday weekend
'98E0,T-Red, #93 KC, MO
Originally posted by Figols:
the ones from Mexico seem to be the ones that rust in odd places. I'm talking about rust in the middle of the roof or center of the truck lid etc. Not only the usual spots like door bottoms, wheel arches, that sort of thing.

I have a bit of rust under the rear doors, but that's it ... not even a hint of rust anyplace "strange" ...
'95 - KC
'97 - KC
KC, mine had rust on the lower door jams but i took care of it.
Old 96 GL - Cuautitlan, Mexico
  • BTW: No odd rust, was wrecked from Dec 03 - May 04 and no rust developed where it was bare metal, hood never got fixed. Only quality body probs was clear coat coming off in odd spots.

SVT - Kansas City - Claycomo, Missouri
How do you guys know? is it in the manual? Also how do you know if it is 98 or 98.5?

Steve
Look at your VIN #, if first digit is 1 = USA, 3 = MEX

For 1998 vs. 1998.5, one difference was the air bag system.
4th digit is 'L' First Generation Air Bags. 1998.0, if it's 'F' then Second Generation Air Bags, 1998.5

P codes = Model, Body Type
P68 Contour SVT (all)
P67 Contour SE (95-98.0) P66 Contour LX (95-98.0), SE (98.5-2000)
P65 Contour GL/Base (95-98.0), LX (98.5-99)
Originally posted by N-terst8:
How do you guys know? is it in the manual? Also how do you know if it is 98 or 98.5?

Steve

http://insayne_kokane.tripod.com/vin.shtml

A page of mine on VIN #s. I realize the "Links" menu doesn't work. I use SSI to include a single menu file into all my pages, yet this one page doesn't cooperate... I'm puzzled, if anyone knows why, lemme know...

BTW: the code is this to include the menu (and all javascript/css are external files, so that's not it):
<!--#include virtual="/menu.html" -->
is it me or is the car with the pin stripes on the sides are the only ones made in mexico????
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
is it me or is the car with the pin stripes on the sides are the only ones made in mexico????

it is u
Originally posted by AlbanianSteve:
Originally posted by Rara:

Quahog is a real place? I thought it was just the town they made up for Family Guy!

Yeah, and the Contour plant there is still running at full steam. Where else do you think the post-2000 cars come from for the ebay ads?
SVT made in Kansas City
KC, 8 going on 9 full hard winters with salt and all the doo daa's with ZERO rust, been in 2 fender benders tough.

My 99 SE was built in KC as well. It came with the sticker on the rear window. I always thought that was kind of cool because it showed good ol' American pride, but then the sticker turned all brown and nasty. Sorry guys, but I had to take the scraper to it. I laughed because I thought if they can't build a sticker correctly, I wonder about the car. Can't complain though, 203K on it now and still running strong. Congrats to the KC guys and I can forgive you for the sticker.
KC
Originally posted by contourfreak22:

Mine was made in KC and has gold pinstripes on it and will soon have two 8" gold racing stripes down the center of the car after winter!
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Mexico and proud of it

KC and glad it's not Mexico
Originally posted by BenS:
KC

Without reading all the post for this, weren't they ALL made in K.C.
Kansas City
well my car got americanized and i dont see anything going funky on me
My Mystique was made in Kansas City...just 90 miles down I-70 from where I live. Can't complain at all about the workmanship, there was only one slight warranty issue upon delivery, and fit/finish is good. After 163,000 miles, no squeaks or rattles. Midwest guys build good cars.
Without reading all the post for this, weren't they ALL made in K.C.

No, not necessarily.
From the FAQ:
Quote:

VIN Decoder
Author: Mark Brindle
Added: 12/09/2002
Updated: 12/10/2002

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a 17-digit "serial number" that also encodes certain information about the car's place of origin, make/model, engine type, etc. The VIN can always be found on a metal tag visible through the windshield (usually at the front of the dash or on the driver-side A-pillar). By US law, the VIN must also appear on a new car's "official" price-sticker (a.k.a. the Monroney sticker).

Digit___ Description ___ Code ___ Translation
----- ----------------- ------ ----------------------------------
1___ Country of Origin___ 1___ USA
______________________ 3___ Mexico

KC, MO - 12/3/1998
KC - still have the sticker on my windshield. My 2003 F150 has the exact same sticker on its windshield as well.
Karl
Build in Mexico with "pride"? My mom's Taurus bears the "Build with pride in Chicago" and it's about to turn over 100,000. I don't know if the Explorer has a sticker, but it was built in St. Louis. The American made cars have defintiely been better.
© CEG Archives