Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: HITMANinMI Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 02:14 AM
The reason I ask for is because it seems like they letting the board go to crap. For one thing no one has yet to "unsticky" the meet post in the Western Great Lakes, the meet took place on the 5th. Secondly the Bill Jenkins thread "sorry guys...." is still sticky even though that started in March.
The one about RIP Airknight, still sticky, I mean it is sad he died and all but how about letting that one go to.

Secondly there are many HowTos that people have created that have never been made sticky. There was one in Zetec forums, for replacing the timing belt showed tons of photos, detailed instructions, that thread is long gone. If someone asks about repalcing it, someone always says "search" how about it be made sticky so they dont ask about it?
I know there are many more that people have created How Tos that were really nice but they to are gone and you have to search to find it, it seems once a week I have to repost mine for flushing p/s fluid.

In my opinion it seems some of these moderators have no time for CEG, maybe it is time to get some new ones.

Posted By: JVT_dup1 Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 02:40 AM
You forgot to mention one more point.

*ban HITMANinMI

-J
Originally posted by JVT:
You forgot to mention one more point.

*ban HITMANinMI

-J

BLAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! GOOD ONE!
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 03:02 AM
Yeah, I've been busy....Busy moving all your posts to the correct forums.

Did you happen to notice the "Read me first" with search tips in some of the forums?

How about the "Suggestion Box" in a few forums?

The new FAQs?

Hmm...I guess the board is going "to crap" as you so eloquently put it.
Posted By: SAV Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 03:16 AM
On a totally different note...how does one become a moderator? Do we have to know Lance personally or something? I think it'd be cool to have some responsibility around here.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 03:18 AM
Quit crying you baby!
Originally posted by SAV-ZX2:
On a totally different note...how does one become a moderator? Do we have to know Lance personally or something? I think it'd be cool to have some responsibility around here.

Shut up Chris.
You know, perhaps I'll get flamed to death for this, but in some regards I actually agree with HITMAN on this. It seems to me the boards have gone downhill a bit since I fist joined on a couple years back. I just notice a lot more all out flaming that goes unchecked, and is way more harsh than I remember. So yeah, I guess people will probably flame me relentlessly now cause I agreed with HITMAN. :flame suit on:
Posted By: SAV Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by SAV-ZX2:

Shut up Chris.

You're just mad because I'd reset your post count.

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 03:46 AM
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
You know, perhaps I'll get flamed to death for this, but in some regards I actually agree with HITMAN on this. It seems to me the boards have gone downhill a bit since I fist joined on a couple years back. I just notice a lot more all out flaming that goes unchecked, and is way more harsh than I remember. So yeah, I guess people will probably flame me relentlessly now cause I agreed with HITMAN. :flame suit on:

Hitman's claim that the boards have gone to crap are completely different than your reasoning.
Posted By: rouar Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 04:20 AM
I hate stickies myself. I have previously stated and still wish that all information was consolidated into sections on the main site, rather than being scattered through forums and also the main pages. For example, the five or so stickies in the Aesthetics forum could be instead moved here, and four in Duratec Performance be moved here. Much simpler and less forum space taken (a single sticky could be placed directing people to the page), and could be modified as new information is revealed and verified, without having to sift through many posts like "well I tried this and it worked but this works better even though I haven't tried it," etc. Plus everything is in one place on the CEG. I myself look to the main site for regular information, I don't browse every forum and half the time forget certain ones exist (Duratec Performance for example!).

The allowance of new moderators has been discussed time and time again, and many CEGers (myself included) have expressed desires to become one. Dramatic changes have not been made and I don't imagine will be planned. The CEG administrators, while not on 24/7, are on enough to maintain the site properly and it is up to them to "induct" new moderators as needed.

If you have issues with particular old threads or fights that are not locked, there is the "report post to mod" button at the end of each post you can easily click, or to provide reason simply PM a moderator you know is on regularly like Perry or Rara.

Regional forums have regional moderators, such as Baco99 and FrenchblueC2 for NECEG. If you have gripes with regional forum topics, you have to take it up with your regional moderator; the admins don't always look in there.

SECEG is always off topic. I think those people should all be banned.
Posted By: rouar Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 04:47 AM
Just did some reading up on the smaller forums - props to ST PETE for the crap he has to deal with!
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 04:51 AM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
I hate stickies myself. I have previously stated and still wish that all information was consolidated into sections on the main site, rather than being scattered through forums and also the main pages. For example, the five or so stickies in the Aesthetics forum could be instead moved here, and four in Duratec Performance be moved here. Much simpler and less forum space taken (a single sticky could be placed directing people to the page), and could be modified as new information is revealed and verified, without having to sift through many posts like "well I tried this and it worked but this works better even though I haven't tried it," etc. Plus everything is in one place on the CEG.

Pointless.

Take a look at the Main site FAQs and How-tos.

How many times have you seen:
"How do I get in touch with Bill Jenkins?"
His phone # and email address are on the main site.

Aesthetics?
Fog light mod How-to is there, yet questions about it.

Domelight conversion - same thing.

Door panel LED - several times a week there's a question about LEDs.

Performance?
SVT TB optimization or installation? Always a topic.

Maintenance?
Plugs & wires - "What's the best plug/wire?"

It doesn't work.

In addition, stickies can be modified by respective Moderators. The main site is for Admin to modify. Every time there is a change or addition to an FAQ or a new How-to, it's a back and forth between the Moderator and basically one Admin - perry. That's a lot to ask of him.

99% of CEG probably has the Forums bookmarked and that's all they use.

Don't like stickies? This will help.
1. Click "My Home" at the top of your screen.
2. Click "Display preferences, number of shown threads, languages, colors..."
3. Change "Total parent posts to show per page: (default is 10)" to 20.

Now the Stickies don't take up as much room. (I don't see what the "bother" is about them anyways.)
I've used the main site FAQs many times.
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
SECEG is always off topic. I think those people should all be banned.

See ya on AIM.
The site has gone down hill because our cars are falling into the range of high schoolers. HitmaninMI, you are one of the bigger reasons.

-Andy
where is the "i just kicked you in the balls" smilely when you need it?
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 06:00 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
where is the "i just kicked you in the balls" smilely when you need it?

I think this will do
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 06:06 PM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
The reason I ask for is because it seems like they letting the board go to crap.

either that, or they are too busy putting out fires started by people such as yourself who constantly start flamewars for no apparent reason.

imo, the lower the average age on a board, the lower the quality.... it's a hard fact of life. i frequent a gun forum that obviously only attracts 18+, and the maturity level is night and day.

The one about RIP Airknight, still sticky, I mean it is sad he died and all but how about letting that one go to.

I vote we let you go. Dom deserves our repect as does Ray, and a few others. Assumimg you'd have to look up who Ray even was, or his contributions, I believe threads regarding his all-to-soon passing went on for close to a year. In fact, it's hard to believe but I think it's coming up on the 4th anniversary this december.

RIP "OF" & Dom

Secondly there are many HowTos that people have created that have never been made sticky. There was one in Zetec forums, for replacing the timing belt showed tons of photos, detailed instructions, that thread is long gone. If someone asks about repalcing it, someone always says "search" how about it be made sticky so they dont ask about it?
I know there are many more that people have created How Tos that were really nice but they to are gone and you have to search to find it, it seems once a week I have to repost mine for flushing p/s fluid.

When , and if the site administrators decide a How To should be formalized, it will be. It will also be formatted and placed in the How To section of this website. Until such time, the search feature works extremely well, it's fast and easy. For all but the most immuture or ignorant that is.
Posted By: Davo Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 06:30 PM
I think one How To this site needs is a How To Ignore Hitman's Incessant Cries for Attention.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Davo:
I think one How To this site needs is a How To Ignore Hitman's Incessant Cries for Attention.

Agreed. He's gone so far as to offer everyone free service manuals or whatever it is that he wants to send to everyone. Do you not have anything better than to do but cause mayhem in an automotive forum? Honestly, nobody wants to hear anything from you HitmaninMI. Face it, you have no purpose.

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Honestly, nobody wants to hear anything from you HitmaninMI. Face it, you have no purpose.

Mark

Damnnnnnnnn! Its true though.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Davo:

cool blue mystique, jared, and some others come to mind after reading this post

its sad that things like this happen, this is a wonderful comunity that has alot of knowledge.

not to say that I am really old, I'm 23, but younger members need to take the wax out of their ears and listen to older people, just about nothing anymore is new, this means its all been done before, so listen to the people who have already gone through it and learn from them

people really just need to learn not to post unless you are certain about something, alot of this flaming seems to happen because some one is so self absorbed that they can't take a minute to concider another view point and see if maybe that is a better view

don't force your views on others, that just pisses people off, everyone will beleive what they want and don't need others pushing things on them

so people should grow up and not bring this community down to a lower standard

I'm gonna have to agree w/ Trapps on this one. HITMAN, I have defended you to the other mods & admins in the past (and they will back me up as doing so if you don't believe me) and I'll probably continue to do so in most cases because I think you are an introverted teenager who lives vicariously through internet car communities and has trouble interacting with people in the real world on a personal level. That being said, I think you are way out of line with your comments in saying that the RIP thread should be taken down. Dom was friends with many of us on here and your comments have struck a nerve with me.
-Mark
Posted By: TGO Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 10:13 PM
Well, the obvious problems regarding these "solutions" you offer are,

Stickying every "important" thread will only lead to a front page filled up with stickies

Not to mention people like to reply to the how-to threads and cause a bunch of clutter.

Trapps is right, how to's will be organised and put in the how to section when possible.

This isn't a commercial website...nobody is paid for the work they do. All the mods have jobs and, believe it or not, lives they need to tend to first. If you can't handle that, tough titty.

Nobody is letting this site go to "crap." This site, is THE most organised, and patrolled car website I have EVER seen. Take a look around homeboy, and tell me different.

It's people like you who give young people on this site a bad rep. I've been hanging around here since I was 18-19 years old...coming up on 4 years now actually. Yeah, i've had a few brushes with authority here and there, but not to the extent of yourself and others thathave come here. One thing you need to realise is, this isn't a democracy - This is lance's site. What he and the people he entrusts to moderate this site GOES. End of discussion.

And as far as the Airknight thread...man just zip it. Does is really kill you to have it stickied?? Even if you didn't know him, have some damn respect! Regardless of who likes him and who doesn't, he was a good kid and his death was a tragic loss to this community. Even with Ray, I didn't know him at all, in fact, he passed right after I signed up here ( I remember reading the thread...a family member posted IIRC). But, i've read alot of what he posted here and learned alot from it, and I know what he did for everyone here. To speak like that of him would certainly get you banned.

you tread on thin ice here already, I think you should learn to keep your mouth shut...
Originally posted by WorldTour:

That being said, I think you are way out of line with your comments in saying that the RIP thread should be taken down. Dom was friends with many of us on here and your comments have struck a nerve with me.
-Mark

Agreed. I only spoke to Dom maybe once or twice, but I know how much his presence is missed.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/28/04 10:52 PM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

Now the Stickies don't take up as much room. (I don't see what the "bother" is about them anyways.)

I've had it at 25 parent posts and 20 posts per page since I became a member.
A) Don't have to click next page as often and
B)Less likely to post a topic discussed just days before.

IMHO there's too many in Aesthetics BUT they are almost needed and even then you get people who Completely ignore them and start a new pointless thread.
I think if you just DON'T ANSWER such reoccuring topics they'll be Forced to search . Only if the ignorant will keep asking then pounce, don't kill the newbs so quickly.
This works for my parents. As one of 7even kids, they tone us out when they don't wanna hear it, forcing us to get a grip and solve it. And it Works
Originally posted by Cris'pus:

Took me a while to understand that. I've been around since the site didn't offer those functions. page4own3d
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 12:07 AM
People are stupid, people don't think, people are lazy. What else is new.

Since Contours are now cheap second-tier cars, we will get more ADD-prone kids buying them, who come to this site and just start posting already-asked x1000 questions, making random unecessary comments (HITMAN are you listening?), etc...

I do think the mods/Admins should be more agressive in curbing 1)Threads asking common questions that are discussed daily or are answered in the FAQ and 2) Threads where everyone starts arguing and flinging crap at each other. HITMAN your thoughtless comments fall into thread category #2.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 12:25 AM
It's obvious to me now that Hitman was born without common sense.

Hitmain: Just stop, pull your own head out of your ass and think before you post such stupid threads.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 12:31 AM

I'm really surprised more people don't do this. Makes it a lot easier to view the threads.

IMHO there's too many in Aesthetics BUT they are almost needed and even then you get people who Completely ignore them and start a new pointless thread.

I've been busy trying to improve Aethetics, Duratec Maintenance, Duratec Performance, and General Mods.

90% of my time has been spent moving posts from General Mods to the appropriate Forums for more effective dearch results. It's almost done, so I have more time to improve the Forums.

I think if you just DON'T ANSWER such reoccuring topics they'll be Forced to search . Only if the ignorant will keep asking then pounce, don't kill the newbs so quickly.

That's tough because Search Nazis start jumping in or the poster "ttt" or "bump" or "anyone?" to get it back to the top. Better to give a link and tell them to try Searching (nicely of course ).

I'm really surprised more people don't do this. Makes it a lot easier to view the threads.

Why stop there ? I have both set to 99 per page (the max you can do)
i have watched this thread unfold into precisly what Hitman was posting about. A lot of people believe Hitman starts these just to get a rise out of people...i am starting to agree because of all the ingnorant stuff that comes out of his posts...Iv been waiting for him to prove others wrong, but it does not look like it will happen.

I will admit, a lot of poeple are harsh on the newbies, as i have been on occasion. But i bring an example:

The forums are here to ask questions and to find answers...people complain that no one wants to take the time to help newbies and answer there questions.

this is true to an extent....obviously the word of choice is SEARCH! Which is true...i ahve found the majority of my info searching...and that i do not find, i then ask for help, weather its in the for of an answer to a question or if someone directs me to a link of a privois post.

Point is, its a 2 way street, if people actualy tried to use the search feature then ask the question then people would not be so harsh.

the search funtion is there for a reason!

Use it.

HITMAN
As for the remarks about Airknight....You can go stright to hell for your insensitive comments....I talked to him maybe 3 times but i had absolute respect for him.

its people like you that drag the morals of this forum down!

id keep his post up there for ever if it were up to me...you [censored] tard

Lupe
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 01:06 AM
I swear.....kids!
Alright looks like I need to clear up a few things here.

The forums are a great place for info and such, I never said they wernt, basically they just need more watching over.

Secondly Lupe, and a few others I never said anything bad about Airknight, all I simply said was the thread has been there for a while along with Bill Jenkins and a few others. Never said anything bad about either of them.
Telling me to go to hell, well isnt that a bit extreme there?

Also I didnt start for a flamewar and I'm glad to see it didnt turn into one, but a few people wanted to, when I saw their post I decided not to respond.

Mark, thanks for sticking up for me. In a way there is truth to what you said.

Posted By: SmoothV Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 01:53 AM
I dont know about the other cats...but i was just joshing
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 02:12 AM
Don't sit there and try to justify your actions.

What you posted was just wrong and the reactions of other CEGers (IMHO) was justified.

Your post showed lack of respect and class, and really shows your immaturity when you say the RIP AirKnight sticky was up long enough, and should be taken down.
When will you just go away?
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 03:52 AM
Originally posted by moxnix:

Why stop there ? I have both set to 99 per page (the max you can do)

I have both of mine set to 50. I believe there is such a thing as too much information on one page.
Also I didnt start for a flamewar and I'm glad to see it didnt turn into one, but a few people wanted to, when I saw their post I decided not to respond.

How can you say that when you posted this:

In my opinion it seems some of these moderators have no time for CEG, maybe it is time to get some new ones.

Why don't you name some names? Last I checked, Lance didn't make me sign a contract stating I would have no life outside of CEG. I try really hard to make sure my forums conform to the rest of the site, but I'll admit I can't always catch everything. Not that I need to justify it to you, just Lance, perry, Rara, and Outback Gal.
Posted By: LinaBby Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 05:08 AM
Originally posted by hetfield:

How can you say that when you posted this:

Why don't you name some names? Last I checked, Lance didn't make me sign a contract stating I would have no life outside of CEG. I try really hard to make sure my forums conform to the rest of the site, but I'll admit I can't always catch everything. Not that I need to justify it to you, just Lance, perry, Rara, and Outback Gal.

Just hit him with the ban stick!

I find it sad that he caused so much drama here and that he would even bring up taking down a sticky for a ceg'er lost so fast... Hey hitman you just get told off in almost EVERY single thread.. glutton for punishment?

Here is one of the latest ones i ran accross

Own3d once again ]
Posted By: caltour Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 05:53 AM
Hitman :

1. Don't post that the mods are "letting the board go to crap". If you say something like that, every moderator (and every moderator-butt-kisser) is going to torch your shiny ass.

2. Lay off the gratuitous provocation. Your post was like running into the biker bar and shouting "Pussies ride Harleys!" It's hard to get your point across to people who are chasing you with baseball bats.

3. In some groups, memorials to the departed can take on a life of their own. A departed member can be regarded more highly after he's gone than he ever was when he was alive. Being dead confers a certain nobilty that is hard to achieve in life. Does it make sense? No, but it's best not to tamper with CEG's e-shrine to Airnight.

The Rest of You

1. You were all so busy ripping Hitman's bloody carcass to shreds that you missed his point. He was saying that the mods should make more of an effort to preserve info from the forums by making more stickies, articles, and FAQs. He's right. The guy who did the timing belt how-to in the Zetec Maintenance forum put a lot of work into his post. He asked the mod to preserve the post (as a sticky, an article, or FAQ) but the mod just ignored him. A lot of very good info just falls into the forum archives (and lets admit it: CEGs search feature is flawed; a lot of stuff in the forum archives is very hard to find). I can guarantee you that guy is not going to provide helpful info like that again. To Hitman (and a lot of other members who are too intimidated by the Moderatorwaffen to say anything) this seems like carelessness or arrogance on the part of the moderator.

2. Have you noticed that when you are not attacking him, Hitman somtimes posts some very helpful stuff? He has posted good tech info, and he recently offered free TSBs to everyone; I think that says a lot. Its a good idea to revisit your opinions once in a while.

3. Have you noticed that attacking someone for a post you don't like never seems to help? Jeez, use some psychology here. If you want someone to behave badly, abuse them. If you want someone to learn to be a part of the group, then offer guidance.

CEG: pack of hyenas or helpful community? You decide.

Looks who's talking.

Honestly I agree that sometimes CEG has some parts that can be improved, but compared to some sites, we're pretty well off.

About hitman, I'd be fine with him BUT he still posts incorrect information that he has been told countless times before by countless amounts of people is incorrect. Yes he sometimes post good info and he did offer up TSBs and what not, but he counteracts it with bad posts. Also when he posts asking for help, he rarely listens to any of the responses. So why even ask? And he also disrespected a well-respected, deceased member of our community. I would understand if it had been me, you, or hitman that had died, but we haven't contributed much or know personally as many people that Dom did.
can we just not lock this thread up and get over it? If hitman is that big of a pain in the rear then lets have a vote and see if he gets banned or not. I know i havent been here very long but i get frustrated when I see 30 posts about the same thing. If he gets banned for a while maybe hell get the point and then you can let him back in.
I do have one thing to agree with him though. Some of the language has degraded in the past months, maybe its something to do with summer? All the heat? Maybe a couple more moderators would be a good idea? Thats just my opinion.
As for the comment about takin down the old stickies I have to agree but the choice of the RIP sticky is just a bad call. I dont think we need to string him up for that. Just a bad desicion i bet he wishes he could edit now. Just gettin rid of some old ones would clear up stuff and maybe new people would see what they lookin for. I know that the search is hard to use first hand but i do try to use it.
Keep the RIP sticky though, its only proper to respect the dead. Just my opinion on things
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 01:31 PM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
As for the comment about takin down the old stickies I have to agree but the choice of the RIP sticky is just a bad call. I dont think we need to string him up for that. Just a bad desicion i bet he wishes he could edit now.

thats just it. he intentionally does this crap just to stir the pot. he had and still has an opportunnity to apologize/retract his statement, and he hasn't. he likes the attention, and we are feeding it to him. it's classic.

i say either ban him or lock all of the threads that turn into this discussion... it's getting old!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 03:24 PM
Your post showed lack of respect and class, and really shows your immaturity

agreed

Originally posted by LinaBby:
Here is one of the latest ones i ran accross

Own3d once again ]

proud to be part of it-

Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/29/04 04:04 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:

Took me a while to understand that. I've been around since the site didn't offer those functions. page4own3d

No, that's page2 for me
Posted By: rouar Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/30/04 03:49 AM
Pointless.
<snip>
Don't like stickies? This will help.
1. Click "My Home" at the top of your screen.
2. Click "Display preferences, number of shown threads, languages, colors..."

I thought I replied to this earlier, hence the 'delayed reaction'

I've had it set at 20 topics/forum and 30 posts/page ever since August 2002 when the forums were moved to UBB Threads. Sticky FAQS bug me especially since there is a different location to find the information. This creates multiple places to have to look to find answers. Additionally, as I said earlier, I don't even realize certain forums exist when looking for information (e.g. "Duratec Performance"). So for example I have a common problem, post in an incorrect forum, then be 'politely reminded' that x forum exists and the question I asked is stickied on the top of THAT forum.

As I said earlier, I admire you for having the ability to tolerate all that you do, and share your frustration in the fact that people don't often do what is politely asked of them. I just wish that there was a solitary location where all the FAQ answers could be found, rather than spread everywhere.

That and stickies in general annoy me (as to why, that is an unknown, and obviously not a collective annoyance ). Hence the long and fairly off-topic rant.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Are some of the moderators too busy??? - 09/30/04 02:30 PM
© CEG Archives