Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: contorted Ford Five Hundred - 09/23/04 06:46 PM
I sat in a Ford Five Hundred in SEL trim yesterday. Let me say it looks so much different person than it does in the magazine. I think maybe the stuff in the mags and newspapers are the Limited models. I dont know where the SEL sits in the hiearchy of the models but man it looks so plan jane. The ones in the reviews look so more plush and refined. The interior cloth fabric seems no diff than on a current Taurus and the fake woodgrain is kinda cheezy. The grill was kind of cheap too. The only going for the car was the trunk space. They should razzle up that car in SVT trim n make it look much better.
Posted By: topgunz_1_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/23/04 07:28 PM
I think SEL is the medium level model
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/23/04 07:47 PM
I thought it went S, SE, SES?

Freakin letters..
Posted By: TheAlmightyMe Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/23/04 08:30 PM
According to Ford Website,Trim levels are: SE, SEL, and Limited
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/23/04 09:21 PM
Ford 500 =

Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 04:08 AM
Despite the design flaws, it does have some key high points. The chassis and frame are based on the Volvo S80 platform; so, presumably world class crash protection. This will be one safe car in terms of collision and occupant safety.

I do like the interior; compared to most every other Ford offering. One plus is the separation of HVAC and Radio. It looks like a regular din sized aftermarket HU would work if you were so inclined. Not that a typical 500 buyer would be. It's also larger inside than a Crown Vic. The handleing and center console provide a mild European flavor. Autoweek didn't bash it's handling, but did ask for more power. Perhaps the future will provde a hotter version of the Duratec.

It's trim levels are SE, SEL, and Limited. Each can be had in FWD or AWD.

The top of the line Limited, with AWD - Optioned with 2-Row Safety Canopyââ??¢ with Rollover Sensor, Side Impact Air Bags and a Power Moonroof will be just under $30K.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Trapps:
Autoweek didn't bash it's handling, but did ask for more power. Perhaps the future will provde a hotter version of the Duratec.

Road & Track quite liked it as well. No negatives said. They actually said the 5spd auto keeps its revs up and in the power band so acceleration isnt an issue.

They also said it had the largest trunk of any auto at over 22cu/ft.

Posted By: ottawanker Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Trapps:
It's also larger inside than a Crown Vic.

While it may be larger inside, it won't be nearly as fun as a Crown Vic. Sure the Vic may be big and heavy, but its RWD and a V8 with decent power. If they would have made this car exactly the same as it is, but RWD and with a V8, they would've had something to compete with the 300.. I suppose they have the Lincoln for that, but oh well.

Most other automakers are using RWD for their big passenger cars, and Chrysler even went back to RWD from FWD.. Just seems like Ford is a little behind the times here.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ottawanker:
While it may be larger inside, it won't be nearly as fun as a Crown Vic. Sure the Vic may be big and heavy, but its RWD and a V8 with decent power. If they would have made this car exactly the same as it is, but RWD and with a V8, they would've had something to compete with the 300.. I suppose they have the Lincoln for that, but oh well.

Most other automakers are using RWD for their big passenger cars, and Chrysler even went back to RWD from FWD.. Just seems like Ford is a little behind the times here.

Wrong on so many levels.

Ford has a large sedan with RWD and a V8, It's called the Lincoln LS. The Crown Vic is an outdated and overwieght pig, it's really sad to still see them on the road.

Honda, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and GM, plus child companies, are almost all FWD or AWD. BMW and Dahlmer/Chrysler are really only on RWD and AWD.

Get rear wheel drive in a little bit of snow and tell me which is better.

-Andy
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 03:22 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to see how many people praise their RWD Hemi powered 300's when it snows
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Andy W.:
Originally posted by ottawanker:

Wrong on so many levels.

Ford has a large sedan with RWD and a V8, It's called the Lincoln LS. The Crown Vic is an outdated and overwieght pig, it's really sad to still see them on the road.

Honda, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and GM, plus child companies, are almost all FWD or AWD. BMW and Dahlmer/Chrysler are really only on RWD and AWD.

-Andy

Well, good point about snow, but 1) the better RWD cars deal with that electronically, and quite well (e.g., G35 Sedan), or 2) are offered in AWD versions (G35, again, and BMW) for the snow belt. A nose-heavy FWD platform is still nose heavy when it gets AWD added, and launching in snow is the absolute only place where FWD has any advantage. There's no advantage under steady cruise, unless you're throttle-happy. But then, that's not steady cruise, is it?

OK, so the 500 wasn't meant to be a sport sedan. Still, at a time when it seems like everyone else is trying to inject a little more excitement into their sedans, Ford launches another appliance. Remember the buzz that the original Taurus stirred up? That was a great leap for Ford at the time, and even though it wasn't sporty, it was a design that sparked conversation. The rework did, too, but from that point on, the formula has been steadily watered down until we come to this.

I said it was boring, but maybe it will sell. It just won't sell to the same people who get excited about the new D-Cs, and it does absolutely nothing to stir my passion.

BTW, I agree with Andy on the Crown Vic. Fun? Outdated, heavy, AND nose heavy, even with that live-axle rear. The thing is made to be big, stable, and cheap. The perfect old man and cop car.
Posted By: ODC Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 06:41 PM

-Andy

RWD. Just cause you don't know how to drive it doesn't mean it's the worse.
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ODC:

-Andy

Well, for 99.9% of the general population, FWD is better in snow than RWD.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:30 PM
have to agree.

-Andy

Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:35 PM
with rear wheel drive can you not load the trunk with heavy weights to get additional traction. But I guess it si better to pull than to push in the snow.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:40 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
have to agree.

-Andy

Bull [censored]! I have a rear wheel drive pickup. And in snow or Ice with winter tires, It doesnt move with out 4WD. I try it allt he time.

My roommates brand new 350 handled like dick in the snow. While slowing around a corner and then going up a hill it would not move. Traction control cannot put more weight on the rear of the car for the tires to grip. Not to mention the wide tires of sports cars are worse than the thin tires.

You wanna know the cars I pushed out of parking spots last winter, a BMW 3 series and an RX-7. The wieght advantage over the wheels on a FWD cars is obvious.

If everyone on the road was a world class driver it's might now matter, but 90% are unskilled idiots.

And you all are thinking of the niche sports car enthusiasts market not the mass buyers. What keeps the Mustang in production. Not the Cobras, Billet, and GT's it's the V6s.

Ford isn't trying to compete with BMW and D/C, they are trying to compete with Honda, Toyota, and Nissan.

-Andy
Posted By: ODC Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:48 PM

Bull [censored]! I have a rear wheel drive pickup. And in snow or Ice with winter tires, It doesnt move with out 4WD. I try it allt he time.

My roommates brand new 350 handled like dick in the snow. While slowing around a corner and then going up a hill it would not move. Traction control cannot put more weight on the rear of the car for the tires to grip. Not to mention the wide tires of sports cars are worse than the thin tires.

You wanna know the cars I pushed out of parking spots last winter, a BMW 3 series and an RX-7. The wieght advantage over the wheels on a FWD cars is obvious.

If everyone on the road was a world class driver it's might now matter, but 90% are unskilled idiots.

And you all are thinking of the niche sports car enthusiasts market not the mass buyers. What keeps the Mustang in production. Not the Cobras, Billet, and GT's it's the V6s.

Ford isn't trying to compete with BMW and D/C, they are trying to compete with Honda, Toyota, and Nissan.

-Andy

I had to drive a Delta 88 (and others since) in the snow. Its really not that difficult. Maybe you should let go of the fact that there's snow and ice on the ground and you cannot drive like its hot pavement.

There's also a lot of things you're incorrect about as well.

You have the best throttle control with RWD, and it shows in the snow -- besides, all modern RWD cars come with some form of tc so driving a rwd car should be no more difficult than a FWD.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:50 PM
You have the best throttle control with RWD....

Really, enlighten me!

-Andy
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:52 PM

You have the best throttle control with RWD, and it shows in the snow -- besides, all modern RWD cars come with some form of tc so driving a rwd car should be no more difficult than a FWD.

Hmmm, yeah Traction Control...

I had to TRY and push a Mercedes SLK-230 in the snow a few years ago. The TC kept on kicking in to the point the wheels would simply not move. If you have NO traction, all the TC in the world will NOT help.
Posted By: ODC Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:52 PM

Really, enlighten me!

-Andy

Posted By: ODC Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mamisano:

I had to TRY and push a Mercedes SLK-230 in the snow a few years ago. The TC kept on kicking in to the point the wheels would simply not move. If you have NO traction, all the TC in the world will NOT help.

Why did you have to 'push a merc' in the snow ?
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 08:06 PM

Really, enlighten me!

-Andy

Well that sure answers my question.

It's not better, just different. FWD can give understeer, RWD can give oversteer. And for the untrained driver, understeer is notoriously safer. Granted TC has made a difference, but guess what, FWD has it too.

-Andy
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 08:10 PM

Why did you have to 'push a merc' in the snow ?

Because it was stuck...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 08:15 PM
Very valid points, but your speaking of pickups with light ass rear ends. I know my truck is going to be a PITA this winter, but its very do able, and I prefer RWD over FWD in the snow because its more predictable.

Also, If your pushing things out of parking spots I could almost gurantee that if it was FWD it would be stuck as well.

-Andy

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 08:38 PM

That's why it comes with an "off" switch.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 10:05 PM
I've driven just about everything in the snow/ice (3-16 inches of it) and FWD is easily the better choice. Any RWD (no matter how many sandbags) is going to have the disadvantage. FWD's will pull, RWD's will push as most of you know, and in the snow, I don't see how a RWD is more predictable.
Try this maneuver (One that comes up often in CO): You're slowly braking for the next red light, all of a sudden you've lost traction and are slamming on the brakes.

FWD: You slowly accelerate, tires regrip, and you point yourself away from the car ahead of you.
RWD: You slowly accelerate, attempt to get the tires to regrip, and point yourself away from the car ahead of you, only to find that your tires will again lose grip, and you'll be sliding into that car 9 times out of 10.

Hope this makes sense, but simple thing is.. Around here, if you've got a RWD you just don't drive it once snow has any chance to ice. With the hills/unpredictability of the roads, you have GOT to have a FWD/4 or AWD for the heavy winters.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/24/04 10:18 PM
I don't know what to make of the 500. On the one hand it has TONS more space than other midsizers, Volvo-engineered chassis and crash protection, offers features that other midsizers don't like AWD, CVT transmissions and 6 speed auto.

On the other hand it's extremely looking, lacks power or any sort of inspiring qualities. Other than the features and space, why would you "lust" after this car?

IMO Ford should have made the styling more appealing and that would draw more people. About power, isn't a 3.5L Duratec going to be offered in the future?

Lets hope it sells, Ford needs it's new products to be well recieved. I wonder if they can have the quality to back it up for once. A friend of mine who has done some electrical work for the 500 program didn't have very nice things to say about some of the engineering decsisions made.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/25/04 04:20 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
Ford 500 =

Many auto writers have said that about the Contour, too. Especially if you got a GL.
Posted By: Mad_Medeiros Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/25/04 07:53 PM
I hate fwd in snow, thats my preferance..... I crashed my old golf into MANY snow banks a couple years ago because of DAMN oversteer! where I would just go straigt into the snow bank.. or down an incline..

when I had my 240 RWD... nissan, I felt much safer in the snow, even tough thats probably not true to people who can't drive!

lol its just different, with my 240, I could always AIM where I want to go.. pop the back end out and always keep her steady... I do admit RWD was more fun in the snow to!

FWD
my mx-3 sucks.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/25/04 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
Ford 500 =

Many auto writers have said that about the Contour, too. Especially if you got a GL.

Where?
Posted By: gearhead_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/25/04 09:32 PM
Ford 500 =

Maybe the "500" is how many they plan to sell the first year Especially since, according to Car and Driver, all the four wheel drives are going to have the CVT transmission. I guess we'll see how they do. I don't mind the styling, but it's a bit dull to me.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 12:40 PM
Ford 500 =

OK. Contour GL=

I'm not an automotive writer, but every article I've read about the Contour gives it kudos for handling, steering, and even power (for the v-6, esp with MTX.) You need to cite some actual sources.

Looks? Yeah, some have said it's jelly-bean exterior defies notice, but that's a good thing in a sleeper.

The 500 reminds me of the early Passat. Good car, nice technology, lots of interior space, but underpowered and kind of a snoozer.

And OK all you snowhounds, FWD is better in the snow than RWD, but for the other 11 months of the year, I'd rather have RWD. If I lived in the snow belt, I'd take a RWD-based AWD'er, if it were available. (G35)
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mad_Medeiros:
I hate fwd in snow, thats my preferance..... I crashed my old golf into MANY snow banks a couple years ago because of DAMN oversteer! where I would just go straigt into the snow bank.. or down an incline..

when I had my 240 RWD... nissan, I felt much safer in the snow, even tough thats probably not true to people who can't drive!

lol its just different, with my 240, I could always AIM where I want to go.. pop the back end out and always keep her steady... I do admit RWD was more fun in the snow to!

FWD
my mx-3 sucks.

Oversteer with FWD! LOL! That takes talent. You really don't know what you are tlakin about you. Whipping the rear out is oversteer.

-Andy
Posted By: Majisto Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 04:13 PM

FWD
my mx-3 sucks.

Oversteer with FWD! LOL! That takes talent. You really don't know what you are tlakin about you. Whipping the rear out is oversteer.

-Andy

Why don't you cool down for a second bub. It's quite easy to skid out of control in a front-drive car. Just because it's front-drive doesn't meant it's protected from oversteer one bit. I have kicked out the rear in the Taurus before going around turns in the rain. The problem is when you hit the brakes. I shouldn't hit the brakes while turning? Tell that to the millions of idiots out there.

The guys who are talking about throttle control have this to say. Your tires can do one of 3 things, right? Steer, accelerate, brake. What happens when you ask your two front tires to speed up? Well they can't steer anymore. In a rear-driver, you can accelerate AND steer. Front-wheel drive cuts your options down. Yes, it gets better traction, but when the situation spins out of control, (Especially in rain...we don't have snow down here, but I've driven it) good luck getting it back under control in a front-driver. Any true car enthusiast will tell you that RWD is superior to FWD.

Why don't you guys take better care of your tires if you fear the snow. Your tires are the most important part of your car. I can't stand seeing $40K+ sports cars with balding tires. You're better off in a POS 80's rusted away American boat with brand new Yoko's than one of those. Most people that complain about this or that in the snow are people who do not take care of their tires. And that is sad. Very sad. I hope you're not next to me when your tires decide to stop gripping.
Posted By: KyleH Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 04:24 PM

-Andy

Yes you can have oversteer with a FWD. I experienced this in my 'tour and ditched it because of it. The back end slid out on me, I managed to recover it only to have it slid out the other way, recovered from that, slid out the other way again and went right the way around and down into the ditch(road was icy). With FWD the only direct control you have over the back wheels is by applying the parking brake, not good in oversteer situations, useful with understeer.

A Crown Victoria in a snow coverd parking lot is just damn fun.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 05:03 PM
If you guys read the comment Andy was replying to, you'll see that the kid was confusing inability to steer, silding forward instead of turning, with oversteer - which is sliding the rear end out while turning. So Andy's comments would be correct then.

I also agree that anyone having problems with vehicle control in the winter should get snow tires. It is really that simple. 'nuff said.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 05:34 PM
Anyone who has problems with traction in bad weather should start by looking at their tires and there driving habits.

Whipping the rear around on FWD cars happens only in a few situations and all are caused by excessive speed. If it happens during bad weather, it's the driver or in some cases bad tires.

I have gotten the rear of my car to slide, but I do it controlled on a sharp turn in the dry. Not in bad weather or with other cars around.

When your rear comes around and snaps back the other way of of control, that is poor driving, whether it's speed or throttle/brake control.

Everyone keeps switching back and forth with between foul weather driving and spirited sunny day driving. Anyone who thinks whipping the end around on a RWD drive car in the snow safe, is nuts.

Two winters ago my roommate and I were going to work on a very snowy day in his 88 TB TC. Going straight he tapped the throttle to get up a slight incline and the rear came around on us on a 4 lane interstate and we went coompletely sideways before he recoverd, luckily just clear of traffic. A FWD car would not have done that, the tires would have spun a little but would have gotten traction before getting out of control.

-Andy
Posted By: KyleH Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 06:01 PM
When it happend to me, I was avoiding a head-on collision because some idiot thought it would be better to drive down the middle of a 2 lane road. My rear wheel caught a ridge of snow at the side of the road, causing the back end to slide out. Fortunatly I ended up in the opposite ditch that was empty, and not on the one to my right which was full of trees.

I realize that Andy was talking about the confusion of oversteer and understeer, I was more making the comment that oversteer can happend in a FWD car.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 06:28 PM
Getting back to the subject at hand, the 500 does about as much for me as the current Taurus.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/27/04 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Ford 500 =

Where?

Car and Driver did a comparison test in fall of 1997. Tested a 4 banger GL with ATX, came in last out of like 7 cars, so there.

And the 500 isn't meant to be a "Contour SVT replacement". It's a full line car, not a "cult car" like the C-SVT, (or SVT-C for the anal retentives.) Compare it to the plain Contours/Tauruses, and it is world's better.

It is only its first year anyway, there are planned changed alrewady. Like 3.5L V6 which will make the beloved 2.5 SVT motor look like a Tempo engine.
Posted By: Mad_Medeiros Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 03:09 AM

FWD
my mx-3 sucks.

-Andy

oversteer, understeer, I seem to always get them mixed.. I stand corrected.. you know what I meant

bahhhh rwd is better!
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 05:08 AM

oversteer, understeer, I seem to always get them mixed.. I stand corrected.. you know what I meant

bahhhh rwd is better!

Not in snow it isn't. But from a "car enthusiast" point of view, of course RWD is better.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 06:01 AM
Originally posted by topgunz_1:
I think SEL is the medium level model

LOL I remember the first time i saw an SEL trim level was on a Windstar...I was like maybe its a hint...Sell the d@mn thing before its too late!
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 12:22 PM
Two personal opinions: The Ford 500 will NOT be a smash due to extremely blah styling and too little power to compete in the class (people read the numbers, and for the same money they will often go for more horsepower).

The second opinion is that I really prefer RWD to FWD in the snow. And yes I have driven both. You lose traction to the front wheels in an FWD, and you can't brake or steer, which are the more important parts of the job. You lose rear-wheel traction, and you still have a couple of options.

And I use snow tires. Cheap life insurance.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
The second opinion is that I really prefer RWD to FWD in the snow. And yes I have driven both. You lose traction to the front wheels in an FWD, and you can't brake or steer, which are the more important parts of the job. You lose rear-wheel traction, and you still have a couple of options.

Um, the braking systems are the same. If you can slow down with the brakes in a FWD you can't do it with RWD. The difference is only under acceleration.

-Andy
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 02:49 PM
Yes, the braking systems are the same, but in a front wheel slide on ice in an FWD car, you can't steer, accelerate, or brake. You're sliding, and there isn't a ton you can do about it except hammer the clutch pedal and hope those wheels start to grip.

I find that RWD lessens the chances of this happening by taking acceleration out of the equation for the wheels that have to steer and do the lion's share of the braking.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 03:22 PM
WHAT!

You are either accelerating or braking! Not both! Every car is baised towards barking in the front. If you brake and start sliding, it doesn't matter which drive system you have. Absolutely none.

-Andy
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 04:18 PM
....but it makes a world of difference on acceleration, or going around turns.

Listen, I just gave my preference (note the word OPINION in my original post). If I am going to be sliding around, I find it much easier (and in some ways fun!) to catch a rear end that's coming around, than to catch a front end that has started to slide in a turn.

You'll notice by re-reading my original post that I said that when, or ONCE you have lost traction, you can't brake or steer on an FWD car, not that you lose traction when braking, and that makes it hard to brake or steer. Lose traction on the drive wheels on a rear drive car, you still have the fronts to brake and steer.

And I never said I was braking and steering at the same time. You might have been misreading and reacting at the same time, however.

If you want to continue this debate and not bore the other posters...like the Ford 500 design (sorry, couldn't resist ), PM me.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 04:43 PM
There is a lot of misconception here on both sides. Here's the truth.

1. FWD traction is inferior, except perhaps in the case of accelerating. Asking the front tires to handle "pulling" and "turning" as well as braking or accelerating means that the front tires will reach their saturation point sooner than if the duties were split between front and rear. This is true whether the pavement is dry, wet, or snowy.

2. It doesn't matter how you are sliding, when you can't control it, you can't control it. But the failure mode of a FWD car is "better" for two reasons; a) If you plow straight ahead into a collision, you take full advantage of the car's crumple zones, unlike when you slide sideways into it, and b) the instinctive reaction of most people when they start to slide is to lift off the gas pedal. In a nose-heavy, FWD car, the car will (almost always) slow down in a nice straight line until the grip returns. In an oversteer condition, it is possible to exacerbate the problem by lifting (lift-throttle oversteer), and oversteer is more likely in a RWD car because it's more likely that the rear tires will break loose first, especially rounding a corner and speeding up at the same time.

My own experience is with two different RWD cars, and several FWDs. I never had any trouble driving my 74 Capri on slippery roads. The rear would move around, but I knew how to bring it back in, and that car was very easy to control, even without fancy electronics. My Beetles were a different story. With their rearward weight bias, they would just feel twitchy all the time on snowy or slushy roads. I felt more confident with my FWDs, but that didn't save me from plowing into the curb a couple winters ago. (Yes, I was going too fast in slush ) I let off the gas, and the car just kept going, and going... I was glad to be on the outside of the curve, at least, and not plowing into the oncoming lanes.

Bottom line: Slow down in the snow, no matter which wheels are driving.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 05:05 PM
Amen on slowing down in the snow. I have done some stupid bad-weather drives in my time, and have learned that discretion is the better part of valour.

I have more experience with rear drive cars than front drive, which could explain my bias towards rear drivers in bad weather. I have only lost control of a rear drive car once on the street when I wasn't playing and doing 20 km/h powerslides on empty snowy roads. My Acura Integra, I lost control a lot. Both those losses of control were before I could afford to put snow tires on a car.

And Roger, my dad ran into the same issue with his Beetle back in the 60's -- he did a full 360 on a snowy road and kept right on driving!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Ford 500 =

Where?

Car and Driver did a comparison test in fall of 1997. Tested a 4 banger GL with ATX, came in last out of like 7 cars, so there.

And the 500 isn't meant to be a "Contour SVT replacement". It's a full line car, not a "cult car" like the C-SVT, (or SVT-C for the anal retentives.) Compare it to the plain Contours/Tauruses, and it is world's better.

I would expect the Zetec GL ATX to come in last in a lot of comparos. But even in the first year it was offered here, the Contour came available with a V-6, MTX, and sport suspension. That is a full-line automobile.

The 500 comes out with only one, weak powerplant (for its class), and the "better" model with AWD comes "only" with a CVT automatic. Enthusiasts need not apply.

OK, so the Taurus SHO took a few years to arrive, and there was no manual at first. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying the 500 won't sell. I can't predict such things. But my initial assessment stands. Ford aimed low and hit the mark.

Come on, the lowest output of any competitor is the Camry, at 225 hp. The Accord puts out 240, the Maxima, 265. 203hp is OK for the "economy" offering, but Ford needs to come out swinging with a more powerful option on the check sheet, especially for such a heavy car. What about the big Duratec out of the Freestar?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 05:22 PM
Come on, the lowest output of any competitor is the Camry, at 225 hp. The Accord puts out 240, the Maxima, 265. 203hp is OK for the "economy" offering, but Ford needs to come out swinging with a more powerful option on the check sheet, especially for such a heavy car. What about the big Duratec out of the Freestar?

oh, you better not let the General hear say that! Imapala/Malibu=200hp. SC Impala=Accord non-SC hp.

ps on a slightly different note.
a friend of my friend works for a company that develops the police pursuit vehicles. He brought the next gen around to the local rice spot a few weeks ago. Its still a crown vic (cops love them) but they have stuffed the V10 in it. HP on the first one is just above 300hp but the torque was closer to 400 (going off bad memory here). he said they have recently completed the s/c version but i dont recall the #s. my friend who knows him very well said he saw it recently but i wasnt there when he brought it out
he said they will be selling them to police depts and also to the public as well. when i get better idea of the numbers ill post 'em and maybe a pic if he lets me take one of it.
Posted By: Lee K Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 06:04 PM
Quote:

OK, so the Taurus SHO took a few years to arrive, and there was no manual at first.

Small correction. The SHO was available only with a manual transmission when it came out in 1989. Four years later in 1993 an automatic version became available, tripling yearly sales volumes.

Former SHO owner.
Posted By: ITinker Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 06:05 PM
I love how the thread turned into an argument about steering/braking/traction... Anyways, the 500 seems okay with lots of interior space, the constantly variable trans, and the volvo style chasis, however, I honestly doubt it will sell to a lot of people outside the Ford spectrum, but repeat Ford buyers will be happy. It's too underpowered, and the styling is definitely lacking--looking like an updated old style(late 80's) Taurus with some VW undertones. Every review I've looked at has said the ride is incredibly smooth, and the engine--though underpowered--is responsive. This isn't an enthusiast or tuner car (curb weight is almost 2 tons), but there will be a lot of hockey/soccer moms thinking twice about getting an suv(trunk space).
~Just my 2 cents~
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/28/04 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lee K:
Quote:

OK, so the Taurus SHO took a few years to arrive, and there was no manual at first.

Small correction. The SHO was available only with a manual transmission when it came out in 1989. Four years later in 1993 an automatic version became available, tripling yearly sales volumes.

Former SHO owner.

IIRC, the auto SHO was also slightly retuned in the suspension to give a little bit more compliance than the hard-edged 5-speed. I was subscribed to Automobile and C&D at the time, and I remember both rags talking about how much they liked the ATX.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 02:00 PM
Yeah, I am not big on the styling, but when I read that the trunk holds 8 sets of golf clubs....lot's o' junk in the trunk
Posted By: Majisto Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 03:19 PM
Ford doesn't really care about the sports sedan enthusiasts right now. They have the Mustang. Why should they spend more money developing a manual trans for a car that has such a low profit margin already? Ford does own half of Mazda, and Mazda has the sport sedan market with the 3/6. Asking the 500 to be sporty just isn't going to happen. Yes, it's a pig, but those Japanese sedans aren't light-weight anymore either.

The 3rd Gen SHO helped doom sports sedan in Ford's eyes for a while. Yes, no manual trans option could have hurt it to the eyes of a real enthusiast, but how many enthusiasts compared to SUV/Minivan soccer mom buyers are there? Very few. Ford is looking out for the bottom line, because competition is bigger, and profits are slimmer. I would not dare call the Camry sporty. It's got quite a bit of body roll, and the Maxima is over-priced. Who buys a Maxima when they can get it in rear-drive with a more powerful engine at nearly the same price? I think Lincoln should make a RWD version of the 500 with the 3.5 Duratec. That is what will most likely happen IF anything does.
Posted By: April Thompson_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 04:03 PM
Lincoln is getting the Zephyr next year, and it's FWD/AWD... unless they change things around at the 11th hour. Oh, I agree how boring the FiveHundred's "style" is: it's a Blue Oval Audi! But... look where J Mays came from: VW. Ultraconservative stodgemobiles with a few niche cars once in a while. Timeless, they say. They want a style that isn't out of date three years from now... regardless of the fact most people don't keep cars that long, choosing to lease them for three years on average and then getting the next flavor of the year.

I wonder what exactly has gone wrong with Ford. Look at the Focus: the edgy styling has been watered down, a slab pretending to be a dashboard is sulking behind the windshield, and they don't even try to keep the Getrag 6-speed, even though it's the most modern MTX design (yes, I know it was in the SVT, but it still fits the engine formerly known as the Zetec). What travesty will the real 2nd gen Focus suffer? Then there's the Freestar: looks just like a Windstar, doesn't it? Same unibody, too. So... what's with the name change? And doesn't it sound so much like Freestyle? (Ooh, that's gonna be fun at the dealer!) I think Ford's going for alliteration: Focus, FiveHundred, Freestyle, Freestar, Fusion, yada-yada-yada. .
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 04:24 PM
The 500 is built on the same ideals and technology as the Focus, but they are so late to the market with it because the Taurus continued to sell and they are still raping people on SUV prices. They realized with increase gas prices people are starting to move back to cars and they missed the boat on the mid to large end of the market!

-Andy
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 04:40 PM
So, in other words, Ford is becoming the Chevy division of GM, but instead of a Corvette, we get a pony car and a rich man's toy.

I'll take my next sedan in a different flavor, thank you. Hmmmm. Bavarian Creme, anyone?
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 04:49 PM
*sigh* Wonder what it'd cost to import a Mondeo.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 05:12 PM
Oh...Ford does still made badass sedans. They just don't think we want them.

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2

check out the new Typhoon concept=turbo v6
Gt/Gtp/FPVp=V8
the FPVpursuit is a two door/truck/elcamino-like thingy!
will you be dining with manual or automatic tonight sir?
FPV=SVT?
Posted By: Vroooom_dup1 Re: Ford Five Hundred - 09/29/04 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Lee K:
Quote:

Former SHO owner.

Furthermore, when the Taurus launched in 1986 it was avialable with a 5spd coupled with the 4 banger. You'll forgive me, but I forget the model designation. (Really, not that memorable)
© CEG Archives