Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: itskub '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 05:42 PM
has anyone here seen a really good looking 95 contour?
i think the small oval grill with the dinky looking headlights, and the reflector make it pretty ugly.

i love the latter models tho.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 05:43 PM
Wow, that's a pretty random post. I bet some of the 95 guys (which yeah, don't look quite as good as a 96 ) will post some pics.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 05:49 PM
when putting my 95 against my husband's 2000, I think his looks nicer.
But I wouldn't say that my 95 is UGLY.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 05:56 PM
I remember when they first came out for some reason I thought they looked like small whales.....I will say though, I don't care for them as much, there are some nice ones out there. I was quite impressed with Scott & Jims.

Originally posted by itskub:
i think the small oval grill with the dinky looking headlights, and the reflector make it pretty ugly.

Posted By: dsickles123456789_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 07:41 PM
in the SE trim they arent that bad but id rather have a 98-00. of course i have the best of both worlds with a pre-98 interior and a post exterior
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 07:49 PM

Hahaha thats funny, I like how your not beating around the bush. I agree that the 98+ look better but with an SVT bodykit a 95 can look damn nice to.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 07:55 PM
Really? I think the 95 looks a hell lot better than the Post 95's

Chrome stripe looks great on them, they dont have that stupid OBD2 [censored], I dont know why the 96+ tours have that stripe, but its painted in.... The chrome stripe had some style to it

I love my 95
Posted By: rouar Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:02 PM
Originally posted by ContourKev:
Really? I think the 95 looks a hell lot better than the Post 96's

Chrome stripe looks great on them, they dont have that stupid OBD2 [censored], I dont know why the 96+ tours have that stripe, but its painted in.... The chrome stripe had some style to it

I love my 95

Post 96? 1997-onward, or do you mean post-95?

I don't like the chrome strips or lack of OBDII, and several of the color schemes, but there are definitely some 95s that look awesome. All said I don't love the 95, but don't hate it either ...
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Originally posted by ContourKev:
Really? I think the 95 looks a hell lot better than the Post 96's

I love my 95

Post 96? 1997-onward, or do you mean post-95?

I don't like the chrome strips or lack of OBDII, and several of the color schemes, but there are definitely some 95s that look awesome. All said I don't love the 95, but don't hate it either ...

Typo

Well, what I don't like about OBD2 is when the computer is reading information wrong, but car is producing it correctly, the stupid Air Team testing place will fail the car for the CEL or fails the OBD test. 95 they Dynotest it. I know my car passed Dyno with a bad EGR, and possibly [censored] O2 sensor.

Sure the 95 has her flaws, the rear seating, but [censored] the rear passengers

I think I would probaly choose a 95 over a 96 or newer, unless its an SVT
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:13 PM
Yes.

Unless it's an SVT, I think the front end of the 98+ look awkward. The eyes are too big for the face. On the SVT, the more aggressive lower grill balances it all out.

Posted By: Jason43 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:17 PM
Excluding SVT's, I think pre-98's look better.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:40 PM
The really only main aesthetic difference between the 95s and 96-97 is the chrome inserts in the front and rear fascias. But even then, I dont think any chrome belongs on a contour, so imo the chrome really detracts from the car. I wouldnt go as far as to say that the car is ugly though.

btw, heres some slight whoring of my 96.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:49 PM
I like both the pre-98 and the 98+, especially with an SE trim package. The pre-98 hood line gives a subtle hint of something under there, the lip spoiler completes that subtle influence... The 98+, well I'm bias. I think they're dead sekzy. I just wish I could add a lip spoiler to my trunk - reflector & all.
Posted By: ScottK Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 08:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of the faux chrome, but I like it better than the ugly @ss refelctor on the 98+ trunks!

IMHO - the absolute best year is a 97

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 09:08 PM
So you abhor ODB-II because with it you couldn't pass inspection.

There's great logic...
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Both are nice in ways... - 09/17/04 09:14 PM
I like the 95-97 SE's or especially with the SVT kit.

MUST HAVE NEW HEADLIGHTS! They yellow and haze so damn fast and it kills the appearance.
Grill mods are a big bonus.
No chrome strip!

They did have better quality interiors. Though mine has held up well so I'm not complaining. (Dash aside )

Nothing compares to the early rear trunk lid. With or without lip spoiler. (I prefer with)
So much better then the fugly reflector on the 98+ models.

One of these days I will actually swap mine out. (been on my list for a while ) However I never really have to look at it only the people that race me do...
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 09:34 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
The really only main aesthetic difference between the 95s and 96-97 is the chrome inserts in the front and rear fascias. But even then, I dont think any chrome belongs on a contour, so imo the chrome really detracts from the car. I wouldnt go as far as to say that the car is ugly though.

btw, heres some slight whoring of my 96.

Is that bumper cover for a Mk 1 Mondeo? I notice the flat part for the grill on it... like it goes to a Mondeo. AFAIK, The Mk 1 Mondeo's had paralell lines on the bumper and hood for the grill, then the ends were circular, unlike the oval shape of our grills.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 10:17 PM
Kane,

That is actually an SVT front bumper with Mirko Splitter. Jim molded that himself to fit his pre-98. He was the first to do this mod, and since then, Mikah has produced one similar to Jim's. His car looks great in person also.

Mark

Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 10:35 PM
I certainly beg to differ your opinion!!

But ok when my car looked like this, then yes it was ugly.But thats time well spent in order to have the only fibeglas hood and one of the Micah bumpers.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SVTcontourSVT:
with an SVT bodykit a 95 can look damn nice to.

Posted By: zrated_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/17/04 11:48 PM
I need to take a new pic of the rear, with the smoked tails.
Posted By: ContouR CreW Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 02:03 AM
Those headlights aren't really ultra white...they look more teal. What are those anyway?
Posted By: btrautman Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 02:22 AM
Anybody that thinks the 95's look ugly......well.....must.... be a downright republican!
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 02:25 AM
Originally posted by btrautman:
Anybody that thinks the 95's look ugly......well.....must.... be a downright republican!

Posted By: TaurusKev Re: '95's are the best looking!!!! - 09/18/04 02:25 AM
Originally posted by btrautman:

I love the `95...
Im republican....

It even holds a Bush 04 sticker...

(inside the passenger compartment, will never put a real sticker onto the car...)
Styles, like fads, come and go. What looks good today will be laughable tomorrow. And I'm a Democrat who always votes Republican.
Posted By: zrated_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ContouR CreW:
Those headlights aren't really ultra white...they look more teal. What are those anyway?

I never said anything about ultra white, where did you get ultra white from? They are 8000K 35w HID's, like the mercedes n' stuff. The camera did some funky auto white balance thing, they are actually blueish purple. They were pretty good, only $700cnd after shipping and taxes, yes that seems like a lot, but trust me when you drive with them at night it was all worth it.
Posted By: ContourSVT98 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I remember when they first came out for some reason I thought they looked like small whales.....I will say though, I don't care for them as much, there are some nice ones out there. I was quite impressed with Scott & Jims.

lol! I was having the same thoughts as well but not a whale..more like a guppy fish.

-dan
Posted By: m!key Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 02:54 PM

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 02:56 PM
Originally posted by mikey boy:

That is definitely not ugly!
Posted By: Frosty Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 03:11 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:
Originally posted by mikey boy:

That is definitely not ugly!

I agree. I don't like stock 95-97's cause the tailights make it look kinda like a spaceship, but this tour above is tight! I don't think they're ugly...I just don't like them.
Posted By: m!key Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 04:16 PM

Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/18/04 05:52 PM
I didn't ever think mine looked that bad?

I like the way mine looks and feels to drive, and I really like the '95 interior as well. Not to mention, I prefer the responsive feel of the rod shifted '95 trans. I hate the feel of the newer cable ones. They feel like Dodge Omni shifters

BTW: I'm an independent who's never voted nor will I ever
Posted By: bigerik Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 01:06 AM
Maybe I am biased , but I always thought the cleanest looking 'tours were the pre-98 SE's. Very European. Limited bling. Nothing to make a cop take notice, but a nice looking car. Period.
Erik
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 02:06 AM
Originally posted by bigerik:
Maybe I am biased , but I always thought the cleanest looking 'tours were the pre-98 SE's. Very European. Limited bling. Nothing to make a cop take notice, but a nice looking car. Period.
Erik

What he said!
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 02:23 AM
pre98s are the fastest

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 02:29 AM
Personally, I like the pre-98s better than the later ones overall, especially the rear part of the roofline, which is a little more shallow. And the interior on my '95LX is uber...the only thing I'd possibly change is to put midnight blue SVT leather seats in, but the power seats I have are really comfy.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
pre98s are the fastest

Um yeah.....the top three in terms of HP or track times are 98+.....DemonSVT, BurritaSVT, and you can't forget Buckshot77.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 02:48 AM
pre98s are the fastest

Um yeah.....the top three in terms of HP or track times are 98+.....DemonSVT, BurritaSVT, and you can't forget Buckshot77.

well look at beyondloadedse's car, its got some SERIOUS potential!

and plus i hold the record for fastest NA ATX run to date

my car also was not running optimally...to say the least
Posted By: zrated_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 02:33 PM

Hey don't forget about me! Off the juice not anything special (yet!) mid 14's, but with it, there goes a hair over another second off that.
Just hope I can get my new setup done before hell freezes over! (not looking to good)
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 08:23 PM
well i have a 95 stique and i like the fact i dont have to recontent anything. and I agree about the non bling appeal of the car, cops dont even look my way.
Posted By: DRAVEN_dup1 Re: '95's are ugly - 09/19/04 11:27 PM
HEY..I love my modded 95. I am republican and I like BUSH...shaved isnt bad either
Posted By: 96mercury Re: '95's are ugly - 09/20/04 01:54 AM
I like the post 98+ tails because they are similar to my 96 stiques. I like the 98+ headlights better though. I had an omni and yes the shifter is sloppy like the later cable ones.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: '95's are ugly - 09/20/04 04:18 AM
pre98s are the fastest

also the fastest zetec is a pre98
Posted By: TaurusKev '95's are sexy - 09/20/04 04:26 AM
Originally posted by DRAVEN:
I like BUSH...shaved isnt bad either

Dont we all
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: '95's are sexy - 09/20/04 05:35 AM
if i could find my dv cable for my dc i would finally post some pics of my 96.... white with carbon fiber hood,black svt wheels,svt skirts,svt rear bumper, and one of michas "wonderful" front bumpers.. ....
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: '95's are sexy - 09/20/04 08:30 AM
To be honest, this has to be one of the worst interpretations of a contour/mystique

Only thing going for it is
Mag wheels and Pinstriping
All this IMHO
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: '95's are ugly - 09/20/04 01:36 PM

your ugly
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: '95's are ugly - 09/20/04 01:55 PM
just about any contour without the SE or SVT sideskirts looks like poop IMO. But I think the pre-98's without skirts look MUCH better than the 98+ without skirts.

And pre-98 tailend > *

And I think the SVT's look great, but a pre-98 with at least side skirts can look just as good IMO.

And pre-98 with SVT body kit > 98+ SVT
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: '95's are ugly - 09/20/04 02:43 PM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
just about any contour without the SE or SVT sideskirts looks like poop IMO. But I think the pre-98's without skirts look MUCH better than the 98+ without skirts.

And pre-98 tailend > *

And I think the SVT's look great, but a pre-98 with at least side skirts can look just as good IMO.

And pre-98 with SVT body kit > 98+ SVT

You forgot

SVT w/ pre-98 trunk > every possible pre-98 combo be it SVT kitted or custom

Posted By: Savior Re: '95's are ugly - 09/20/04 03:50 PM
I totally agree with roger there, 98+ 'tour have way oversized eyes that just don't look right without an SVT front end.

LOL @ Contours looking like small whales... I think they do too, but more like snub-nosed manatees.

My '95 looks good...

http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/dexfiles/c...contourpix.html
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Both are nice in ways... - 09/20/04 05:50 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Nothing compares to the early rear trunk lid. With or without lip spoiler. (I prefer with)
So much better then the fugly reflector on the 98+ models.

One of these days I will actually swap mine out. (been on my list for a while )

I like the lip spoiler too, & a trunk swap has been on my list as well...
© CEG Archives