Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 02:41 PM
My beloved SVT is no longer with us .

I barrell-rolled it @ approx. 70 MPH, then bent the h*ll out of an ARMCO barrier and bounced back about 30 ft. yesterday at the track, and it is definitely totalled. Crushed the roof, both front corners and doors, and the drivers rear is buckled I'm having the car looked at to see if there was a mechanical failure. My ego wants to find a cause other than driver scr*w-up.

I'm now seeing what the insurance company can do for me and have my fingers crossed. At the very least I'll be tearing it down put don't know yet if I'll put all the parts on another Tour, on my Mystique, or part them out. What the insurance company does will have a significant effect on that.

I'll post a picture if someone wants to host it. I'll also put one on my profile.

Anyway, I'm battered and bruised but otherwise OK . Certainly the Corbeau Forsa seat, four-point harness, helmut and airbags all helped along with the solid construction of the car. For the guy whose parents wanted him to get a Civic, have them email me!!!

I am in mourning for the car, however. It was the nicest running car I've owned (30+) and the best on the track .

Regards, Alan
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 02:47 PM
Man, sorry to hear that. Can't believe you came out of it so well though. Thanks for all the help you've given us, and hopefully you'll stay around and keep it going. I hope you can find a donor car to restore back to the SVT's condition, keep us updated.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 02:47 PM
Sorrry about your car, but at least your ok. I don't wanna sound like a downer but usually insurance won't cover accidents that occur on tracks because it's a seperate off-road activity. I don't wanna sound like a parts shark but you have corbeau's???
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 02:48 PM
Just tell the insurance co. it was a driver improvement course. Seriously.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:19 PM
Single car accident on a private roadway....
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Single car accident on a private roadway....

Yep. Most ppl are covered at autox's and the like. So don't roll your f'n eyes.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:30 PM
Originally posted by SVT Driver627:
...you have corbeau's???

Just driver's side. Won't know til I'm through the insurance process and have had time to digest everything what I'll be doing with it. My head's still spinning.

It's black cloth w/leather or vinyl(?) wear inserts. Not very well suited to a daily driver as it's an FIA approved deep bucket so there's a two step process to get in (at least at my age ). It does a great job of keeping you from moving around at high G-loads though.

With regard to the insurance, it's not cut-n-dry yet. I've opened up a file and spoken with the company. They've assigned an adjuster and are having him call me. I had already cleared it with the company that coverage would be in effect for on-track accidents during the BMW Advanced Driving Schools so that wouldn't have been in question. The problem here is that this was a "test-n-tune" session, so I'll have to wait, cross my fingers, and hope.

As Todras said there's usually coverage for things like Auto-X, etc., but virtually never coverage for a race or timed event on a race course, this was neither.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:31 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Most ppl are covered at autox's and the like. So don't roll your f'n eyes.

I'll roll 'em if I want to & there's nuttin' you can do 'bout it!!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Alan Coles:

As Todras said there's virtually never coverage for a race or timed event, this was neither.

Regards, Alan

No their usually IS covereage for a race or timed event. I was led to believe that if I did a T n' Tune at Gingerman during the week I would be covered. It's still viewed as driver improvement.
Posted By: SVT24 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear what happened. Send me pics and I will host them for you.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:42 PM
Well, best of luck with you and your insurance. I hope everything turns out ok.
Posted By: zgendron_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 03:52 PM

No their usually IS covereage for a race or timed event. I was led to believe that if I did a T n' Tune at Gingerman during the week I would be covered. It's still viewed as driver improvement.

This is probably one that varies by company, policy, and state. I know that if you're at a track and smash a wall, its not covered.

My Dad's former coworker had a 95 SHO Company Car that he put in the wall at a track. Wasn't covered. Wasn't employed much longer.
Posted By: Davo Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 04:01 PM
You might ask Rick (Buckshot) how he dealt with his rollover. As far as I know, racing and auto-crossing are covered, as long as you aren't part of any amateur (or pro) circuit. However, it may depend on your plan/policy and insurance company.
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident.

I can host a picture if you want me to.

Keep us up to date on what insurance decides.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SVT24:
Sorry to hear what happened. Send me pics and I will host them for you.

Pictures sent.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: sigma Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 06:57 PM

As Todras said there's virtually never coverage for a race or timed event, this was neither.

Regards, Alan

I've had policies with Progressive, Geico, USAA, and State Farm -- all specifically said that accidents while participating in a race or timed event were not covered under the policy (all were full coverage). All my warranties on my automobiles have also said the exact same phrase.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 07:20 PM
As someone who's been in your shoes, I can sympathize and offer condolences for your loss.

My rollover at an auto-x was covered in full by my insurance. What I told them was I rolled it upon leaving a roadway on private property and then gave them the address of the go-cart track we were having the event at. No questions ever came about of not being covered. However, I did read back through my policy several times and mine had no clause about racing, timed events, etc.

I know a lot of times the insurance agent will give you a brush off with a ready "no" if you ask if it's covered when you're on the track. But, the truth is if it's not stated specifically in the policy and you're not doing it professionally, then it's covered. In any case, read through your policy carefully and it should state if you're covered. If you are covered, be prepared that they might dump you after it. Luckily my company did not, but I've been paying higher premiums for the last 3 years due to it. I'm finally gettig the accident dropped this fall though so it will all be good again.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Did yours look anything like this? Also, I agree on the safety of these cars as I walked away with 0 injuries. I also was using a four point but with a stock seat.

Rick
Posted By: SVT24 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 07:23 PM
Heres the pic you sent me (more coming):
Posted By: SVT24 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 07:42 PM
Here are the rest of the pics:

Posted By: dbateman Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 07:49 PM

My condolonces to you man, those pictures are tragic, that was a sweet SVT!

Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 07:52 PM
Originally posted by SVT24:

Own3d!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 07:56 PM
Originally posted by dbateman:

My condolonces to you man, those pictures are tragic, that was a sweet SVT!

true dat, it also shows that our car was built solid, if that was a civic, you can forgett about it, I'm deeply sorry man
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 08:10 PM
I hope you have something positive in the works like getting another CSVT!
Posted By: ElKy Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 08:14 PM
if you are going to part it, there are plenty of good parts left on it.

glad you walked away
Posted By: JB1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 08:34 PM
wow, i am really impressed with how the passenger compartment looks. i can see how one could easily walk away from that. a comforting thought
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 08:38 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
if you are going to part it, there are plenty of good parts left on it.

Like a spark plug wire.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
As someone who's been in your shoes, I can sympathize and offer condolences for your loss.

Thanks, it certainly gives a person cause for reflection. I am / have been very fortunate. Being a Leo, I've often told people that I was just using up one of my nine lives. The problem is I'm now on the smaller half of that. Hit a moose at 70 MPH, a deer at 60 MPH, put my old Norton Commando down and slid through an intertsection between two cars, tc., etc. Not sure how many lives I've got left.

I know a lot of times the insurance agent will give you a brush off with a ready "no" if you ask if it's covered when you're on the track...

Fortunately, I won't have that problem as my agent is my younger brother and our businesses are in the same offices. The situation with this accident is in a bit of a gray area though (won't go into it until it's resolved) I've just got to see how things unfold.

Did yours look anything like this? Also, I agree on the safety of these cars as I walked away with 0 injuries. I also was using a four point but with a stock seat.

Looked alot like yours. But honestly I wasn't trying to copy you.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 09:09 PM
WOW!

I'm glad that you only have a few bruises! I'm really sorry to see your car in such shape, but happy that you weren't seriously injured!!! Another 'tour saves the day!

I hope all works out well with the insurace company.

Feel better!
Posted By: Davo Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 09:13 PM
Like a spark plug wire.

I see a couple rear door handles I would gladly confiscate!!

As for the damage, it's nothing a bottle of Armor All and a rag can't handle.
Posted By: NewPowerRadio Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 09:55 PM
Damn! That sucks...Glad to see U're ok. I didn't realize another CEG member lived so close to me.

Hope U can get another Contour.

If U part it out let me know about that SVT oval grille.
Posted By: Lee_dup2 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad that you are OK though. My advice find another on the cheap. You've already got all the parts.
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 10:18 PM

I feel your pain man, I did this about 2 months ago. Least mine was fixable. To see more pics of my wreck check out http://community.webshots.com/user/svtcontoursvt Dont worry things will get better, I bet you'll find a nice tour to interchange parts with. Good Luck Stu
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/16/04 10:22 PM
Sucks man, hopefully you stick around as you seem to be one of the posters with lots of info for peoples questions.

Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/17/04 02:01 AM
Lol, not to be mean or anything, but I like the grass in stuck in the hood/fender there. Looks nice . I am really glad you are ok. I am an EMT, and I have seen much ligher damage than that and people were much worse off. The other day we had a guy that wasn't wearing his seatbelt, and got broadsided at 30mph in an intersection. He wound up getting airlifted and had a concusion, 3 broken ribs, 4 bruised ones, a ruptured spleen, a sprained ankle, and other internal injuires. So consider yourself lucky man. Good luck with getting your car fixed up, and once again I am glad you are all right. Take care.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/17/04 05:29 PM

The insurance company has come through in spades. ING North America. Don't think they do home/auto in the US. Mostly Canada, Europe, etc.

I don't have the cheque yet (takes 2-3 days to process) but I just got off the phone from the adjuster (he's got an 87' Mustang GT convertible and recognized the uniqueness of the SVTs) and he offered me more than I was hoping for and the car!!!!!

I'm not going the really celebrate till I have the cheque in my hands, but this is great news.

I also won't make any decisions about what I'm going to do with my parts (keep them for another SVT or sell them) until after I've got the cheque. Don't want to jinx things.

Thanks for all the words of support. It really is a loss when something you're attached to goes. I'll post the results when I get the cheque, hopefully by Friday or next Monday.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/17/04 05:53 PM
Posted By: Davo Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/17/04 06:42 PM
What is a cheque?

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/17/04 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear this....so the seat held you in pretty good?
Posted By: Stryker Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/18/04 12:08 AM
bah!! itll buff right out!
good tohear the news man. not much on yours i can use...mine totalled on monday August 15th 2004

im gonna rebuild.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/18/04 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Davo:
What is a cheque?

It's English for check (as in money) vs check to see if all is clear, check mark, etc., etc.

I think Webster must have changed most of these, as one of the first great but destructive marketing ploys, to sell dictionaries in the US.

Anyway, I'm trying not to celebrate until I have it in hand but can tell you my mood has improved markedly.

All I need now is to find a mechanical failure to blame for the accident rather than the loose nut behind the wheel. I am looking into it and it is a possibility, but won't know unless there is something obvious. That would be improve my mood as much as possible.

BTW, I like your Kerry link. It may not be unique but it does make a point.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/18/04 01:58 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:

Hi Hector:

Yes, I believe your seat and harness plus my helmut were significant factors above and beyond the solid construction of the SVT itself, in my lack of injury.

I took at least 3 very heavy jolts:
- Driver's front corner dug into the ground and started the flip.
- Passenger's front and roof hit after the 180 degree mid-air roll
- Nailed the ARMCO head-on (buckling it about three feet) then the car bounced off the ARMCO like a slingshot and ended up about 30 feet away facing back in the direction I'd come.

Because of the 4 point harness I was kept firmly in the seat, even while the car was flying through the air upside down. As well as during the impact of it landing upside down on the first part of the roll. The wide double shoulder straps meant that there wasn't any twisting that would occur with a stock shoulder belt. The seat's deep bolsters kept me from sliding around allowing the belts to do their work.

I'm very lucky, no one should think that walking away from an accident of this magnitude is normal. However, having the right safety equipment and a ton of luck is what it took.

Thanks again for the seat and harness Hector. Take care.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: R.I.P. VIN ...18554 - 08/18/04 02:06 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:

Hi Hector:

Yes, I believe your seat and harness plus my helmut were significant factors above and beyond the solid construction of the SVT itself, in my lack of injury.

I took at least 3 very heavy jolts:
- Driver's front corner dug into the ground and started the flip.
- Passenger's front and roof hit after the 180 degree mid-air roll
- Nailed the ARMCO head-on (buckling it about three feet) then the car bounced off the ARMCO like a slingshot and ended up about 30 feet away facing back in the direction I'd come.

Because of the 4 point harness I was kept firmly in the seat, even while the car was flying through the air upside down. As well as during the impact of it landing upside down on the first part of the roll. The wide double shoulder straps meant that there wasn't any twisting that would occur with a stock shoulder belt. The seat's deep bolsters kept me from sliding around allowing the belts to do their work.

I'm very lucky, no one should think that walking away from an accident of this magnitude is normal. However, having the right safety equipment and a ton of luck is what it took.

Thanks again for the seat and harness Hector. Take care.

Regards, Alan

Just wanted to know....I have 2 Corbeau A4s now and after reading this I need to invest in some harnesses once again.

Take care and good luck.
© CEG Archives