Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
What you guys think will be a good replacement for the Tour ? Looking for something under 20K new or used. Prefer to spend around 10-15K
So far I tried:
BMW 3 series - I am not impressed - (besides chicks attraction factor) I think it's a lesser car than Tour (I tried up to 330Xi, may be 2wd 330 will be better)
Mazda 6 - Nice but heavy. No secondaries
Mazda 3 - nice, light, cheap. But - 4cyl, No secondaries. I got a deal where I get a car for S-Plan pricing and 5000$ for my tour. Around 15K out of pocket for the swap.
Mazda RX8 - slow, expensive, high maintenance.
Volvo S40 - slow.
Honda - can't stand them.

What other cars should I look at ?

What I am looking for - 4 seats and 4 doors, Auto, Some warranty left. Something to drive to work everyday. 0-60 around 7 seconds.
Posted By: rouar Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/12/04 11:11 PM
Seeing as you think all of those are lesser cars than the Contour, you might as well keep your own car or buy another one. It doesn't sound like you'll be happy with anything else.
Late model Maxima. (96 to before they got bloated)

2000 SVT Contour

That's about it...
seems to me that you could get an SVT which would be much nicer than your se for 10k or even less. What about that neon srt-4?
Lincoln LS V8!

Not much faster than what you have right now, but a step up as a whole imo.

They can be found pretty cheap used...
Posted By: rouar Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/13/04 01:29 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
2000 SVT Contour

Originally posted by Kirill:

What I am looking for - 4 seats and 4 doors, Auto

Maybe a WRX? but the 0-60 might be faster than you wanted.
Acura TL
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Nissan Maxima
Audi A4 1.8T
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Lincoln LS V8
Lexus IS300
Nissan Altima 3.5

(used market of course)
Posted By: KyleH Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/13/04 12:08 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:
Lincoln LS V8!

I had a chance to drive one of these once and all I can say is
I think I am going to try 2001 Audi A6 - they now offer 2 year warranty and 0% financing.

Any comments on A6 ?
Lincoln LS V8!

Just can't see myself in it or WRX.
I am too young for Lincoln, and I am not a fan of WRX stilling.
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Seeing as you think all of those are lesser cars than the Contour, you might as well keep your own car or buy another one. It doesn't sound like you'll be happy with anything else.

I might do that if i woudn't fall in love with some other car.
Posted By: Max02 Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/13/04 03:21 PM
I think I am going to try 2001 Audi A6 - they now offer 2 year warranty and 0% financing.

Any comments on A6 ?

Not dynamically, but I remember that in initial quality (I think) the A6 2.7t was the most unreliable car. It had more problems than a Kia!! That scared me considering the cost of the A6.
Lincoln LS V8!

Just can't see myself in it or WRX.
I am too young for Lincoln, and I am not a fan of WRX stilling.

Well, don't make your decision solely on the brand name.

Inside and out, the car is attractive and classy. The 3.9 V8 is silky smooooth, and fairly powerful. Its not too roomy inside, but accordingly, its not a behemoth on the outside.

All i'm saying is that due to the low resale, they are a damn good value.

Posted By: KyleH Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/13/04 06:46 PM
I'm only 23 and if I could afford it, the LS would be my next car baised on the way it drives. Very fun car.
Stay with a Contour. Got folks all around CEG who know how to work on a Contour, I bet CEG knows more about the contour than most Stealerships..

Most retarded comment ev3r.
Originally posted by todras:

What I meant to say is 3 is lighter than 6 and although 3 got a smaller engine - I felt like 3 accelerates better. But when it climbs into higher RPMs engine feels like it coming out of breath (comparing to Duratech)
Originally posted by KyleH:
I'm only 23 and if I could afford it, the LS would be my next car baised on the way it drives. Very fun car.

I have hard time proving to people that I drive Tour because I like it more than BMW 325. But Lincoln got such a strong image of retirement home attached to it - I just can't take it. I am 26 BTW.
Originally posted by ContourKev:
Stay with a Contour. Got folks all around CEG who know how to work on a Contour, I bet CEG knows more about the contour than most Stealerships..

You right I bet CEG can give classes to Stealerships.

But Tour is getting old. I might wait till next year, but eventualy i'll need a newer car.
Originally posted by DJ Capp 911:
seems to me that you could get an SVT which would be much nicer than your se for 10k or even less. What about that neon srt-4?

It have to be auto - something that could get me to work while i am still sleeping

No neon for me. Not a fan of that style.
I bought a low mileage GTP after my CSVT. GTPs mod nicely, and don't usually break until you start getting into the 12's.
The mazda 6 with a duratec package is very similar to the contour.

As for the rx-8 being slow, which one did you drive?

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=281&id2=0

With a six speed manual, 0-60 in just under 6 seconds (fast for a non turbo), and stock in the 14's, that is not slow my friend. Granted its not a mustang svt with a 0-6 in the 4's, but I dont call it slow..

Anyway, its 2 door why would u even list it? :P
Posted By: Lee K Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/14/04 03:08 PM
Originally posted by popecruz:
As for the rx-8 being slow, which one did you drive?

That's for a manual RX-8. The automatic (one of the requirememts of the original poster) version has a detuned engine (197 HP versus the manual's 238, 159 lb-ft versus 164 torque) and is quite a bit slower, although it may be enough to run mid 15s in the quarter mile and high 7s 0-60. I've never seen one tested in a magazine, but going on HP, torque, and vehicle weight, one can hazard a guess.

Also, the RX-8 is technically a four-door car. It has two suicide doors in the back for rear passengers. Pretty nifty in execution, but their practicality is limited by the fact that you have to open the front doors first before opening the rears.

It's a very nice car, overall. Major complaints are the relatively poor fuel milage (18 MPG at best) and the need to really tach up the engine (redline is near 9K) before any kind of acceleration is experienced. Handling is superb with the 50/50 weight distribution.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver
03 Lancer Evolution, red
Man are you fussy, the RX-8 is slow I'm surprised you said what you said about the Mazda 6 though, it seems to be the logical upgrade from the CSVT and with the additon of the 5 door hatch and wagon, its nice to have choices How about:

-SRT-4
-ION Redline
-Pontiac G6
-Cobalt SS
-WRX/STi
-EVO/Lancer Raliart
-Sentra SE-R V-spec w/ Nismo package

Any comments on A6 ?

My boss has one sometimes... It's usually in the shop with electrical issues. Had to have two wheels replaced in the first year 'cause they craked. And even had the driver side mirror fall off while making a left turn.

The A6 is a beautiful car with good engineering behind it, but plauged with reliability and lobg term quality issues. Check out Edmunds.com for other issues surronding this vehicle.
Originally posted by popecruz:

With a six speed manual, 0-60 in just under 6 seconds (fast for a non turbo), and stock in the 14's, that is not slow my friend. Granted its not a mustang svt with a 0-6 in the 4's, but I dont call it slow..

Anyway, its 2 door why would u even list it? :P

It was brand new on a dealers lot so I didn't want to push it very hard. May be they get better after break-in. And it's got like half a door for back seats - I am 6'01" and can fit normally in a back seat of RX-8 (I have to squeeze in to contour's back seat)
Originally posted by TheAlmightyMe:

My boss has one sometimes... It's usually in the shop with electrical issues. Had to have two wheels replaced in the first year 'cause they craked. And even had the driver side mirror fall off while making a left turn.

The A6 is a beautiful car with good engineering behind it, but plauged with reliability and lobg term quality issues. Check out Edmunds.com for other issues surronding this vehicle.

Do you know what year is his ?
Posted By: sigma Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/16/04 07:05 PM

What I meant to say is 3 is lighter than 6 and although 3 got a smaller engine - I felt like 3 accelerates better. But when it climbs into higher RPMs engine feels like it coming out of breath (comparing to Duratech)

It may feel like the 3 accelerates better (and it does feel that way), but it doesn't. Not even close. A 6s gets to 60 over half a second faster than the 3s does, and gets to the 1/4 a full second faster. And the 3.0L responds much more readily to mods than the 2.3L has been.

And in looks I'll take my 6 over a 3 (and most any other car in your list) any day:

I wonder though -- you call the fastest car on your list, the RX-8, "slow"?

These are what I would check into:

Mazda 6
Subaru WRX
Scion Tc (especially with the supercharger)
Nissan Altima
Neon SRT-4
Originally posted by sigma:

It may feel like the 3 accelerates better (and it does feel that way), but it doesn't. Not even close. A 6s gets to 60 over half a second faster than the 3s does, and gets to the 1/4 a full second faster. And the 3.0L responds much more readily to mods than the 2.3L has been.

And in looks I'll take my 6 over a 3 (and most any other car in your list) any day:

That is one of the best lookin' Mazda 6's I've ever seen
Originally posted by sigma:

Great Looking 6 you got there ! Thanks! I'll look into 6s again.
What would you take 6 from Audi or 6 from Mazda ?

Lee K did a good job explaining why all RX8 aren't the same - ATX version is 40 horses down from MTX
Posted By: sigma Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 08/16/04 09:34 PM
Quote:

What would you take 6 from Audi or 6 from Mazda ?

Hard to say. The A6 is very nice. But you're looking at a 3-4 year old car.

With the Mazda6, you could grab a decent 6s brand-new and with your trade-in you'd be at about $15-16K which is just eeking out your budget. If you're willing to buy used you can probably grab a really low mileage fully-loaded for about $18K, minus your trade.

If you don't mind buying something that used, I'd probably get the Audi; but if you want new, or very near new, I'd get the Mazda6.
I feel your pain.

My wonderful white mystique v6 is in the classifieds

I really don't want to part with it. Ford really didn't know what they had when they developed these models.

I just plunked down some bucks on two cars. One for the wife and a replacement for the mysty.

The wife's is a black Subaru Forrester XT
turbo w/ 200hp. Boy, Can that car move.

The choice for me, because of limited budget, was a Scion TC. The press has been reporting that the TC's engine is the Camry's 2.4 lt. Actually, a guy at the Scion dealership said that it was actually a replacement for the Celica........Whatever. All I know is that it has the same or more torque of the line than my misty. I can't comment on how it compares to a Conty SVT. My misty had some minor tick-outs (2.5 inch exhaust and 3A muffler) as well as a Superchip and a KKM intake. She can haul a....

I just want to say that Contour.Org has been a pleasure to read and use as a source of GOOD info. This site is the gold standard for enthusiast sites. I have been around a few as a reader and this one has the most valid and up-to-date REAL info I have had the pleasure to read and to put to good use. You folks and all the contributors (site and forum alike) are to be commended for excellent work. I work at a major defense contractor and I wish their tech info was as timely and useful and on-point as this site is.

It has been great and much good fortune for continued success.
holy old post batman!
Posted By: SAV Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 07/22/05 10:26 PM
At least he said good stuff about us.

-SAV
You should go with a used 97-2003 BMW 540i
Originally posted by SVT25:

Don't know about the 540i in particular, but my boss had a 2001 525i and the driver's seat caught on fire from a short circut in the heating element
The RX8 is slow
Lexus IS300. In my opinion the most perfect made, beautiful car I have EVER seen!
Originally posted by liquidX:
Originally posted by SVT25:

Don't know about the 540i in particular, but my boss had a 2001 525i and the driver's seat caught on fire from a short circut in the heating element

The 540i is one of the best BMW's ever built. So good that most of the employes chose that as there car over all other BMW's. 0-60 in 5.5, 4 doors, lots of space and handling like you wouldnt think a full size sedan should would have
before I bought my svt, I had decided that i wanted a 4 door, stick shift, and a decent amount of power under the hood. One car I looked at was the Pontiac Vibe GT, it met all my criteria, 4 doors, 6spd manual and 170hp. I'm pretty sure that the engine is the same one that is in the Celica GT so there is probably a decent amount of aftermarket. the vibe gt ended up being out of my pricerange. used 13,000 vs the 7000 i paid for my 99 svt

mj
This is my next car: http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/index.jsp
Posted By: rouar Re: Looking for something to replace Tour with - 07/23/05 02:11 PM
Has anyone read the sig of the original poster? Obviously he got a new car LAST YEAR ... no more suggestions are needed ...
Originally posted by Taasman:
This is my next car: http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/index.jsp

BLAH !! ! Just when you think the eclipse couldnt get any fuglier.....BAM!! the come out with the 2006. Its too bad too, they had a decent looking car for the past few years, what were they thinking ? ??
That vaguely reminds me of the ugly Nissan Maxima. I think it's probably the color.

Kerry

2000 SVT Contour

That's about it...

that's what i'd suggest....actually its the 95-99 model years before they got bloated....great cars...wife had one with 177k on it,sold it to a friend,it now has over 200k on it and it still runs great...
Originally posted by fastfolch:
I feel your pain.

My wonderful white mystique v6 is in the classifieds

I really don't want to part with it. Ford really didn't know what they had when they developed these models.

I just plunked down some bucks on two cars. One for the wife and a replacement for the mysty.

The wife's is a black Subaru Forrester XT
turbo w/ 200hp. Boy, Can that car move.

The choice for me, because of limited budget, was a Scion TC. The press has been reporting that the TC's engine is the Camry's 2.4 lt. Actually, a guy at the Scion dealership said that it was actually a replacement for the Celica........Whatever. All I know is that it has the same or more torque of the line than my misty. I can't comment on how it compares to a Conty SVT. My misty had some minor tick-outs (2.5 inch exhaust and 3A muffler) as well as a Superchip and a KKM intake. She can haul a....

I just want to say that Contour.Org has been a pleasure to read and use as a source of GOOD info. This site is the gold standard for enthusiast sites. I have been around a few as a reader and this one has the most valid and up-to-date REAL info I have had the pleasure to read and to put to good use. You folks and all the contributors (site and forum alike) are to be commended for excellent work. I work at a major defense contractor and I wish their tech info was as timely and useful and on-point as this site is.

It has been great and much good fortune for continued success.

hmm... i heard that the tC had the engine out of a toyota solara...
It has the Camry's 2.4L DOHC 4 banger.

2000 SVT Contour

That's about it...

Yeah,I was going to suggest a 1995-1999 Nissan Maxima. I was looking at them before I bought my Contour. Their resale value is strong,they are a good looking car,very powerful,responsive to modifications,reliable and best of all they are just great all around cars. When it comes time to get rid of my Contour (not for a long time though!!!) I plan on picking up a 95-99 Maxima. There's also the Infiniti G20 or I30...I can't remember which one is the more upscale version of the Maxima. But you might want to look into the Maxima for sure.
Oh yeah,as some one else suggested,the Vibe GT is also a good buy. My mom was looking at them,before she decided to get a 2005 Kia Sportage,which she'll be getting soon.

I took the Vibe out for a spin,and even with the auto,it was quick!...and it wasn't even the GT,it was just the base 140hp Toyota 1ZZ,found in the Celica GT. I'm 19,so I can't exactly afford payments and insurance on a brand new car,but if I had the money,a Vibe GT would be sitting in my driveway right now. Awesome looking car/suv/truck whatever you want to call it (before the 2005 facelift with the softer looking front end). Interior is well laid out and it's extremely comfortable. The Vibe GT also has the same 1.8L 2ZZ VVTL-i that the Celica has and rated at 180hp,and that engine has some grunt! I was surprised how well it can pull along a vehicle much larger than the Celica,and that was only with the 140hp model.

The Vibe is definetly a good buy.However,if you compare prices,you'll find they are priced a little higher than the competition. They're more expensive than vehicles like the Rav4,Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage (the NEW Kia Sportage being an excellent buy as well) and I think it's a little more than the Escape as well. But it is good looking,very practical,very reliable,due to Toyota parts,but cheap to fix,due to the GM name and basically it's just a little sportswagon. I am not a fan of GM products either,but when I drove that thing,I wanted to give the dealer my mom's Kia,my Mystique and whatever money I had in my bank account!

Definetly worth a look...but I'd still look at the Maxima first,since it'll be cheaper.

© CEG Archives