Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: tbirdjayc Downshifting... - 08/03/04 05:29 PM
So i was reading a post on another car site where a guy claimed he put his car in nuetral and used the brakes to stop whenever he needed to stop or slow down. I immediately called him a fool because you never want to completely disconnect power from the wheels, especially when slowing down. In addition, you should be downshifting a manual car when slowing down to keep from possibly overheating your brakes. Anyhow, i was suprised by how many people had never heard of this, and called me a fool for not just leaving my car in gear and braking. Now i learned to drive stick from my dad who is pretty old school (69 mach 1 4 spd was his last stick car). But since i started doing it, I can't imagine driving without downshifting down a hill or into a turn, or when coming to a gradual stop. These guys are telling me its bad for the engine, synchros (though if i have time i double clutch), trans, etc. Is it really safe/good practice to not downshift when slowing?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 05:38 PM
if I know i'm coming to a complete stop, I slow down in neutral. That engine braking stuff is for the old cars where brakes sucked (i.e. 4wheel drum brakes). Today's brakes are good enough and will last long enough to actually USE them.
Posted By: zgendron_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
That engine braking stuff is for the old cars where brakes sucked (i.e. 4wheel drum brakes). Today's brakes are good enough and will last long enough to actually USE them.

Agreed. Downshifting also decreases fuel economy. Now with that said, I always downshift, but that's just so the revs are up and ready to take off when I hit the gas again.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 05:45 PM
Um has he ever heard of car racing? It helps slow the car down, you are in gear so you dont have to worry about that if you are turning or the light goes green, and the engine uses zero fuel. Why the hll would you not downshift.
Posted By: Tkhov Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:04 PM
I always have my car in gear unless I'm at a complete stop. However, I try to avoid downshifting because its easier to replace brake pads than a clutch.
Posted By: Stryker Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:09 PM
what i do is as im coming to a light, ill push the clutch in and put the car in ever gear, but never let out on the clutch, cause im weird like that. but i can let out on the clutch if i need to stop fast for any reason. my brakes do all of my stopping...
Posted By: tbirdjayc Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:29 PM
If you don't downshift, and overheat your brakes, you might be replacing your whole car, or worse I don't think the right thing is to drive every trip like you are racing, but there has to be a happy medium. Not downshifting at all is foolish.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:31 PM
why would you downshift in normal day to day driving?????i could see it if your racing or playing around...i always put it in neutral and use the brakes...imho brake pads are a hell of alot cheaper than a clutch or transmission parts....which would you rather replace?????
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:34 PM
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:
why would you downshift in normal day to day driving?????i could see it if your racing or playing around...i always put it in neutral and use the brakes...imho brake pads are a hell of alot cheaper than a clutch or transmission parts....which would you rather replace?????

DING DING DING, we have a winner.
Posted By: tbirdjayc Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:37 PM
Is the MTX-75 that weak? I know it's not great, but i thought it could handle something basic like "downshifting".

If you are going down a hill, you don't downshift?
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:42 PM
Originally posted by tbirdjayc:
So i was reading a post on another car site where a guy claimed he put his car in nuetral and used the brakes to stop whenever he needed to stop or slow down. I immediately called him a fool because you never want to completely disconnect power from the wheels, especially when slowing down. In addition, you should be downshifting a manual car when slowing down to keep from possibly overheating your brakes. Anyhow, i was suprised by how many people had never heard of this, and called me a fool for not just leaving my car in gear and braking. Now i learned to drive stick from my dad who is pretty old school (69 mach 1 4 spd was his last stick car). But since i started doing it, I can't imagine driving without downshifting down a hill or into a turn, or when coming to a gradual stop. These guys are telling me its bad for the engine, synchros (though if i have time i double clutch), trans, etc. Is it really safe/good practice to not downshift when slowing?

I have had almost the exact same thing happen to me. My dad taught me how to drive stick, his last manual being a '69 Stingray (that we still have), and told me to downshift while slowing down. Every one of my friends that drives a stick doesn't do that, and has never heard or thought of doing it. It's strange I tell ya. BTW I did notice a considerable decrease in brake dust on my wheels after starting to do this.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 06:49 PM
If you don't downshift, and overheat your brakes

Wut? Overheat your brakes? From a few stops? You're only going to overheat your brakes if your in an autocross or on a road course.

Another point, think about automatics. They dont' downshift when you brake. In fact, in an automatic, you're braking both the car and the engine most of the time, so brakes undergo MORE work on an automatic car than a manual does, and you don't hear of anyone burning out their brakes on every automatic made.

Read your ford manual as well if thats not enough reason for you, it suggests AGAINST engine breaking, since it only really has the negative effect of hurting fuel economy.

I always put the car in neutral, or have the clutch pedeal pressed when I brake, and I heal-toe shift in corners that I'm powering through so as not to disrupt balance.
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 07:00 PM
I've always downshifted. I don't go out of the rev range of the gear below it, but I use that lower gear to help slow the car, and maintain control. I don't like "freewheeling" to a stop.

Never had a problem yet, but that's not a gold standard by any means.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 07:19 PM
If you don't downshift, and overheat your brakes, you might be replacing your whole car,

Does the atx downshift??

NO!!

Do they have pretty much the same brake??

YES!!

How are they going to overheat due to the trans being any different??

They're not!!
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 07:29 PM

A couple things:

The reason why you should never slow down or coast in neutral is primarily for emergency situations. You should always stay in gear so if a child runs out of the street, you can still accelerate quicklky without having to get into gear and do an emergency manoever.

I've never heard of 'overheating your brakes' before. Suffice to say, I would rather change my pads since its cheaper and easier than change my clutch, or even tranny if the syncro's wear out.

Personally I slow down in neutral when I see a red light, saves gas and saves my tranny.

And you should practive double clutching more. I can double clutch / rev match in a split second, and your car will thank you for it.
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
I've always downshifted. I don't go out of the rev range of the gear below it, but I use that lower gear to help slow the car, and maintain control. I don't like "freewheeling" to a stop.

Never had a problem yet, but that's not a gold standard by any means.

That's another thing, if you're racing or need to slow down really quickly, you should brake + downshift at the shift points. The car will slow down much faster.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 07:33 PM
I still down shift but not for the same reason as some of you....

EX: What happens if your coasting in N to a stop....What if you hae to make an emergence manuver and have to accelerate around something or pass some one to avoid a collision????

You going to spend one or 2 seconds to think about shifting and then shiftback into gear. One or 2 seconds can be the diference betweenhiting and missing.

The reason i downshift is because in case of emergency, im already in the proper gear i need. Thats my reason for doing it.

Lupe
Posted By: 98SVTGUY Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 07:53 PM
Actually in our cars there is no need to double clutch. That is more for older cars back then with no synchros. I just rev-match down the gear to slow the car down or if you have a little more talent/skill you can always try heel&toeing or even clutchless shifting. Benefit of rev-matching saves the clutch if do it right versus just dropping it in to a lower gear.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:00 PM
This post makes my head hurt. What's the point of downshifting in normal street driving if you're coming to complete stop? It sure as hell is a lot cheaper to replace brakes ($200) than a transmission or clutch (few grand). I've always dropped it in neutral. What's the point of tranny braking if you're not autoxing or on a road course.
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 98SVTGUY:
Actually in our cars there is no need to double clutch. That is more for older cars back then with no synchros. I just rev-match down the gear to slow the car down or if you have a little more talent/skill you can always try heel&toeing or even clutchless shifting. Benefit of rev-matching saves the clutch if do it right versus just dropping it in to a lower gear.

Still saves on the syncro wear/tear. Plus double clutching and revmatching on a downshift give a smooth as butter downshift. No jerkiness.
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:01 PM
Originally posted by todras:
This post makes my head hurt. What's the point of downshifting in normal street driving if you're coming to complete stop? It sure as hell is a lot cheaper to replace brakes than a transmission or clutch. I've always dropped it in neutral. What's the point of tranny braking if you're not autoxing or on a road course.

Read my post again. Safety.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:12 PM
HOW IS IT SAFER? If anything you would get on the brakes HARDER!

"Look theres a kid in the street, I'm in gear and I can accelerate to hit him!"

Originally posted by ODC:
This post makes my head hurt. What's the point of downshifting in normal street driving if you're coming to complete stop? It sure as hell is a lot cheaper to replace brakes than a transmission or clutch. I've always dropped it in neutral. What's the point of tranny braking if you're not autoxing or on a road course.

Read my post again. Safety.

Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:22 PM

You obviously know nothing about defensive driving.

And emergency manoeuvers are not isolated to just kids jumping out of cars.

Every DMV book states that it is illegal to coast in neutral for good reason. If you lack the comprehension of an adult, I cannot help you.

ps. your stopping distance increases when you are not in gear.
Posted By: zgendron_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:25 PM

A car in gear is almost always safer than in Neutral. There are a number of circumstances. His example may not have been the best, so I'll throw this one out there.

Imagine you're in neutral. Now imagine someone hits you, hard. Fuel cutoff will kick in, and the car will stall. However, you're now unaware of what's going on as your car rolls into oncoming traffic. Bam. You get hit again.

If your in gear, you've got a much better chance of being stopped by a stalled car.

This example is also the reason you never turn your steering wheel while waiting to make a turn. Always turn it as you're ready to go.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:34 PM
Did I say it was isolated to just kids jumping out in front?

Your right, I drive my car wrong, and thus I should have my drivers license revoked!

Its weird, ten years of driving and no accidents. Hmm, what am I doing wrong?

How many emergency manuevers does your average driver actaully hit the gas? Hmm, probably very few.

And your right. I had to throw everything I know about defensive driving out the window, or else in DC I would still be in my driveway.

You obviously know nothing about defensive driving.

And emergency manoeuvers are not isolated to just kids jumping out of cars.

Every DMV book states that it is illegal to coast in neutral for good reason. If you lack the comprehension of an adult, I cannot help you.

ps. your stopping distance increases when you are not in gear.

Posted By: KyleH Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:40 PM
How 'bout:

Slowing down for a red light, checked the rearview mirror and see some [censored] on her cellphone driving a caravan not slowing down. Car is in gear so quick jab the gas and swing into an open lane to avoid the collision.

This one actually happened to me.
Posted By: Davo Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 08:52 PM
This thread sure has turned into a pantyfest. I'm with Todd, when it comes to city traffic driving, I go into neutral when slowing and stopping. But when I'm on the highway engaged in some serious mobbing, I often use the motor to slow me down.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:00 PM
Bottom Line!
$2K-3K for Trans and/or Clutch!
or
$200-300 for brakes!

Racers downshift so that they are in the correct gear when they come out of the corner. Rarely do the use them to slow down the car much.

-Andy
Posted By: tbirdjayc Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:34 PM
Interestingly enough...I have posted this question on a few different makes forums. It seems the more performance oriented the car (WRX, EVO, 330, 350Z), the more people downshift. Also the more expensive the car, the more people seem to favor downshifting. I dont know what this suggests, or if it suggests anything at all. It's just interesting. Maybe the people driving more expensive cars are simply older, and stuck in their ways, i dont know.

Consesus seems to say taht slowing down your car in neutral is just blatantly wrong. You should never disconnect power from the drive wheels for any extended period of time. That isn't opinion, you are right or wrong. As far as downshifting, I always rev match, so clutch wear isn't a factor. Brakes can overheat and glaze if abused, especially if you are maybe hauling 3 200+ lbs buddies and going down a hill.

I really expected the majority of people to be in the favor of downshifting, im kinda suprised actually. I think some people have a lot to learn about how a car works, dynamics-wise. If in fact there is any credibility to saying that the Duratec, or MTX-75 can not handle "downshifting" well then i guess we have digressed quite a bit in the last 40 years. Since this was common practice back in the day. I will actually be placing a call to SVT tommorow and asking them. I don't know if they can or will give me an answer, but i'd like to know if im doing damage to my car by driving it the right way. Might be time for something new.
Posted By: Davo Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:39 PM
I will actually be placing a call to SVT tommorow and asking them. I don't know if they can or will give me an answer, but i'd like to know if im doing damage to my car by driving it the right way. Might be time for something new.

Damn dude. Are you losing sleep over this?

I'm not sure what "disconnecting power" to the wheels has to do with anything. My brother has 108,000 miles on a Zetec manual Contour. The thing hasn't had any kind of mechanical difficulties, though the "power has been disconnected from the wheels" probably half a million times.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:39 PM
hauling 3 200+ lbs buddies

them some big boys!!!

I know what you're saying and yes, that's a bit of weight, but keep in mind that brakes have advanced in the years as well. Your brakes aren't going to overheat from using them instead of downshifting, they might get slightly more used and wear out slightly faster, but I really don't think it's anything a daily driver should have to worry about. I throw mine in neutral occasionally when slowing down to a red light as well. usually I keep the clutch in, and just put it in the right gears as my speed and RPM's come down, then put her in 1st and piddle away once it's time to go.
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:41 PM
Interestingly enough...I have posted this question on a few different makes forums. It seems the more performance oriented the car (WRX, EVO, 330, 350Z), the more people downshift. Also the more expensive the car, the more people seem to favor downshifting. I dont know what this suggests, or if it suggests anything at all. It's just interesting. Maybe the people driving more expensive cars are simply older, and stuck in their ways, i dont know.

Consesus seems to say taht slowing down your car in neutral is just blatantly wrong. You should never disconnect power from the drive wheels for any extended period of time. That isn't opinion, you are right or wrong. As far as downshifting, I always rev match, so clutch wear isn't a factor. Brakes can overheat and glaze if abused, especially if you are maybe hauling 3 200+ lbs buddies and going down a hill.

I really expected the majority of people to be in the favor of downshifting, im kinda suprised actually. I think some people have a lot to learn about how a car works, dynamics-wise. If in fact there is any credibility to saying that the Duratec, or MTX-75 can not handle "downshifting" well then i guess we have digressed quite a bit in the last 40 years. Since this was common practice back in the day. I will actually be placing a call to SVT tommorow and asking them. I don't know if they can or will give me an answer, but i'd like to know if im doing damage to my car by driving it the right way. Might be time for something new.

Its funny, you keep saying how 'we need to learn how a car works' and you cannot understand that brakes 'overheating' just does not happen anymore.

Posted By: tbirdjayc Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:45 PM
Brakes can still overheat dude. That is how rotors warp. Can you prevent this with better pads, probably. BTW, we have not even touched on "brake fade" yet.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:47 PM
Is it really safe/good practice to not downshift when slowing?

I really expected the majority of people to be in the favor of downshifting, im kinda suprised actually. I think some people have a lot to learn about how a car works, dynamics-wise. .

How can you post asking a question then when you don't get the answer you expected turn around and basically say those people don't know what they're talking about? If you already "knew" the answer as you seem to have portrayed why even bother asking the question?
Posted By: tbirdjayc Re: Downshifting... - 08/03/04 09:49 PM
I'd say overall it's pretty 50/50. It lies in where you place the credibility.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Sneaku:

How can you post asking a question then when you don't get the answer you expected turn around and basically say those people don't know what they're talking about? If you already "knew" the answer as you seem to have portrayed why even bother asking the question?

"Survey says"
dig,ding,ding!!!
Your not gonna damage your car either way. If you downshift real hard then yes you will prob. wear out your clutch faster than normal. Is it marginally safer to always be in gear? Probably.
But i can tell you this for sure. In my short 8 years of driving. I have never had anything "jump" out in front of me when i was getting off the freeway.
I think its all a matter of driving style.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 02:09 AM
If your want to slow down use your brakes, if you want to downshift rev match to save your clutch and synchros...

BTW I was under the impression that when a car is in gear with no load on the engine (foot off the accelerator) the engine will just pump air hence using less gas then idling in neutral
Posted By: dallasb84 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 02:39 AM
wow i skipped the to the 4th page right after the first. i cant see how this garbage made it this far. downshifting to brakes, i think ill try and turn this around a bit. down shifting is bad especially when you dont double clutch, the transfixed rotor housing on the impution rotator in the mtx-75 is fragile enough who would want to down shift and wear out the tensileation spatula when you have nuetral to begin with. and you wouldnt want to overheat those disc brakes either. dumba$$
Posted By: Probzilla Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 02:43 AM
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 03:10 AM
Brakes can still overheat dude. That is how rotors warp. Can you prevent this with better pads, probably. BTW, we have not even touched on "brake fade" yet.

On a race track yes. Only time that would occur on the street is if your a retard and drive like an idiot, in that case hopefully the brakes will overheat causing you to crash crash crash into a ditch,,, just kidding.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 04:03 AM
i dont put it in neutral 1000 feet from a red light. if i'm in 4th then i just brake while in 4th. as i get close to the light still in 4th i put it in neutral and finish braking. even going really slow the car wont stall or buckle (in 5th i can see this happening). sometimes i'll brake while downshifting to 3rd and continue as i described. but no way am i downshifting thru every freakin gear at every stop for daily driving.

i dont know how to revmatch even though u guys say its easy.

i assume doubleclutching is hitting the clutch, pulling the gear out, releasing the clutch pedal, depressing it again then putting in the next gear.

i have done so clutchless shifting but cant do it upshifting. i can do it downshifting but at low speeds. pulling onto my street i can pull it out of 3rd clutchless then almost immediately slide it into 3rd. when i do it right, there's no grinding or bucking. other than that i can pull the car out of gear as i'm braking and the revs drop-i pull on the shifter slightly til i feel it pop out. but heel-toe or revmatching i cant really do. is there a breakdown or chart to show the rev each gear should be in for up or downshifting
though i kinda cheat when downshifting while speeding up cuz i cant revmatch. i blip the throttle a bit to raise the rpms then downshift to gas it like when passing a car (on a 2way street, not hwy)
Posted By: 98SVTGUY Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 04:14 AM
Originally posted by 98SVTGUY:

Still saves on the syncro wear/tear. Plus double clutching and revmatching on a downshift give a smooth as butter downshift. No jerkiness.

Actually if you rev-match perfectly no jerkiness at all.
Posted By: dallasb84 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 05:42 AM
well once when i had no clutch. on my decieced 92 nissan 300zxtt i had to drive home right after it gave out. had to get the car rolling with the starter. gave it gas let off so the front end dropped snatched it out and into the next gear. all the way to like 4th. grinded a few times but nevertheless worked. i have heard of people while racing try this technique but it seems pointless when you have a clutch. i dont drive and 18 wheeler so i dont need to rev match. i hear thats what alot of big rig drivers do. i think my dad told me that once. i dunno. what did the five fingers say to the worthless thread.......................
Posted By: sigma Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 05:46 AM
How does downshifting burn more fuel? Just because revs go up doesn't mean you're burning more gas -- there's load on the engine from the wheels that's making it rev, not combustion of fuel.

I downshift for every stop and through every gear. I still touch the brakes though because people are too stupid these days to realize that just because your brake lights aren't on doesn't mean you aren't slowing down.

Being in the right gear to quickly avoid a potential accident has saved my ass many more times than an emergency braking maneuver has.

Quote:

How many emergency manuevers does your average driver actaully hit the gas? Hmm, probably very few.

You're right -- probably very few times. But the average driver is also a total dumbass.

I've seen countless accidents that could have been easily avoided if people would have pressed the gas and moved out of the way rather than slamming on their brakes causing multi-vehicles pile-ups.

Just because people are stupid and slam on their brakes doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Coasting in 4th to a stop might even be worse than neutral -- not only can you not put power on the ground but if you go to slam on the brakes and let out the clutch you're much likelier to bog and stall the engine than if you were in 2nd -- leaving you stranded in an accident zone with a dead engine that you need to restart, totally at the whim of the drivers bearing down on you, praying that they can stop in time because you can't move until you get your engine started and in gear.

And in Neutral not only can you not put power to the ground to move out of the way of anything (no matter what it is) but with no load you increase your stopping distance even if you do need to slam on your brakes.

There's good reason why it's illegal to have your car in Neutral while in motion.
Posted By: dallasb84 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 05:49 AM
brilliant fickin brilliant i wish i was as cool as this dude
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 06:08 AM
If you don't downshift, and overheat your brakes, you might be replacing your whole car, or worse I don't think the right thing is to drive every trip like you are racing, but there has to be a happy medium. Not downshifting at all is foolish.

Not true.

The brakes are made for... Braking!

Yes from high speeds engine braking helps a small bit with the overall braking procedure but at low speeds and rpm it does very little at all.

Also which would you rather wear out faster. The clutch or the brake pads.

I know which one costs a hell of a lot less!

I normally only downshift from high speeds or highway exits.
For instance from a 65mph exit I rev match from 5th to 3rd or so and then leave it in that gear until the rpm level is down below 2000. I then put it in neutral.

I never downshift for normal stops at low speeds (i.e. any side road)
I normally leave it in whatever gear I was cruising in and put it into neutral when below 1500-2000rpm.

The brakes are for braking folks.

This does not cover aggressive or back roads driving either. Then rpm control of the engine is the most important factor and that's done by choosing the proper gear and planned braking.
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 07:05 AM
Originally posted by sigma:
How does downshifting burn more fuel? Just because revs go up doesn't mean you're burning more gas -- there's load on the engine from the wheels that's making it rev, not combustion of fuel.

Huh ? Fuel is burnt accordingly to how many rpm. That's why you'll have worse gas mileage if you try to drive in too high a gear at too low a speed.

Anyway, re: double clutching, here's a good explanation:

Quote:

When you double clutch on the downshift you are revmatching, but that does not mean that revmatching is double clutching.

Revmatching

1. Clutch in
2. Blip Throttle
4. Downshift
3. Clutch out

This is the most common (n00b) way of revmatching on the downshift. Your synchros still have to accellerate the layshaft to the speed of the output shaft, hence synchro wear is no different than just waiting for RPMs to drop and then downshifting. Essentially you are accellerating the rotating speed of the engine so that when you engage the clutch they will be moving the same speed. It is slower than double clutching, but less advanced and will let you get used to blipping the throttle while braking. Done correctly this method eliminated brake bias due to engine braking and reduces clutch wear since you are at no time dragging it.

Double Clutch Revmatching

1. Clutch in
2. Shift to Neutral
3. Clutch out
4. Blip Throttle
5. Clutch in
6. Downshift
7. Clutch out

This method allows for a much faster downshift as you do not have to rely on the synchromeshes to accellerate the layshaft to the speed of the output shaft. The lever literally falls into place with a feather's touch as layshaft and output shaft are perfectly matched. Virtually no synchro or clutch wear, and your downshift will be nearly instantanious once you get used to dancing all over your pedals.

Read my earlier post for a better description of Double Clutching.

Posted By: sigma Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 07:32 AM
Quote:

Huh ? Fuel is burnt accordingly to how many rpm.

Absolutely incorrect. While RPM can be a very rough estimate of consumption on an ATX, it means nothing on MTX.

When an Engine turns the transmission it uses gas. When the transmission turns the engine, there is no (actually very little) gas consumption. There is just enough to produce compression rather than combustion.

If I go 60 in 5th, I'm at 2500rpm. If I let off the gas, the fuel cuts off from the engine (largely), but I'm still going 2500rpm. I'm using the same amount of gas as I would be if I pressed in the clutch, sending the RPMs down to 750. The Tach means nothing for gas consumption, as I'm using the same gas at 750 with the engine decoupled from the drivetrain as I am at 2500 with the engine coupled to it.

If I downshift to 4th it'll go to 4000 -- I'm still not burning (much) fuel. The RPMs are higher, but that's just the transmission revving the engine, not the engine revving the transmission. I'm still burning roughly the same amount of gas I would be at 750rpm even though I'm at 4000.

You could downshift from 5th to 3rd, blow the [censored] out of the RPMs, and still not use much gas. Until you tried to actually put power to the wheels that is -- then you'd have to hit 6,000RPMs just to get somewhere -- then you would use more gas.

Downshifting doesn't use gas -- driving in the lower gear will use gas. But that's moot since we're talking about stopping your car, so you wouldn't be giving it any gas unless you needed to move in an emergency, in which case you're going to be glad you're in that lower gear.

Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 08:23 AM

Every DMV book states that it is illegal to coast in neutral for good reason.

Really? In Drivers Education (Which i just recently took, fun class too ) You shift to neutral when coasting... like to a stop light. I remember this because we were told in Simulator to shift to neutral... I mean hey, I am not the Drivers Education instructor... Teacher also stated its a bit harder on the car, and it should only be used when going to a low speed that the car may not be able to handle (Like 15-20 Mph in 5th gear...) I cant find anything on the book for IL....
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 12:29 PM
That's another thing, if you're racing or need to slow down really quickly, you should brake + downshift at the shift points. The car will slow down much faster.

....ps. your stopping distance increases when you are not in gear.

Explain, please, exactly how downshifting increases the traction available at the tire contact patch, since the braking system used as it is designed to be used in a 'racing' situation as you describe is more than adequate to place the tires at the threshold of lockup and keep them there?

Does a lower gear cause little spoilers and flaps to pop out and grab the wind, like KITT?
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 02:06 PM
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 03:19 PM
tbirdjayc, asked a good question but Todd is right, the amount of missinformation being posted as fact makes the mind spin. Some have posted good accurate advice but others seem to be pulling ideas out of thin air.

Also it should be noted that there is a considerable difference in wear & tear and vehicle dynamics/stability between mild/moderate downshifts and downshifting to decelerate at a stopping rate to reduce brake wear. The difference is in the degree of deceleration.

First, take absolutely no offense by this tbirdjayc, but simply because your father or my father has been involved in something or doing something for a long time doesn't make it right or wrong. Also their knowledge comes from RWD not FWD and the dynamics are different.

Downshifting is fine but it DOES NOT slow you down quicker or burn more fuel.

The easiest one first - You burn less fuel by down shifting as you reduce speed then by going to neutral (I'm talking about mild downshifting to the gear below what you would normally be in to cruise at your current speed). The ECU is smart enough to know that there is no throttle and the revs are above 1,000 (no threat of stalling), so it will shut off fuel delivery. I'm not sure when manufacturers started doing this but my fading memory seems to recall that it was approx. 20 years ago with the advent of ECU controlled fuel injection and pioneered by BMW. My Volvo has a trip computer that displays instaneous fuel consumption and it is very clear to demonstrate with that. My Lincoln Mark VIII LSC that I traded in on the Volvo had the same type of display and gave the same feedback.

The MTX5 and Duratec are as capable as most any other vehicle in putting up with the strain of downshifting, the question is, what is gained by introducing this strain. I'm referring to downshifting at anything more than mild.

1 - Road Racers DO NOT downshift to slow the vehicle down. They do so to a) stabalize the car for when the brakes are let off and b) to be in the correct gear for accelerating out of a corner. Idealy, a perfect downshift in a racing situation would see NO deceleration as that would unsettle the car and, ALL deceleration is done by the brakes so that the car is as balanced as best possible on all four tire contact patches, or in special circumstances on the one or two contact patches desired (I've rarely come close to the ideal).

A FWD already has more weight than optimal on the front wheels and engine braking only makes things worse. It can destabalize a vehicle enough to make it spin, under extreme conditions, if you turn (even just slightly) during the process. Therefore in an emergency situation you should only downshift if you need to accelerate faster than the gear you are in will allow.

2 - Wear & Tear. It's already been noted correctly that brake pads are considerably less expensive than engine/clutch/trans parts. It's not that any of these are going to fail, it's simply a matter of which is less expensive to replace due to wear and which should be considered a normal replacement item. Engine braking places a force on the pistons, rods, crank, bearings etc., this has a wear factor. The more one does it and the more agressivelly it is done, the greater that wear. Not likely to kill your motor but just like athletes an NFL players career is usually shorter than an baseball player's even though the MLB plays alot more games per year.

3 - Brake failure. This should only occur if your brakes have not been properly maintained. If a persons brakes aren't properly maintained then it's likely the motor isn't either. Again, we are talking about degrees. Selecting a slightly lower gear on steep declines to stop the vehicles speed from increasing is accepted wisdom, using lower gears in those situations to decelerate the car at anything more than a relaxed rate is considered ill-founded, questionable at best. The brakes on the SVT are designed to generate a stopping power in excess of 800 whp - it would take 800+whp to overcome the SVT brakes!

4 - The idea of never coming to a stop with the car in neutral has more to do with the greater possiblity of cars in the past stalling than reduced reaction times, etc. but both have valid points. Again it really is a matter of degree. In everyday driving with very little congestion, we often drive less alertly then in heavy traffic (one hand on the wheel, etc., etc., etc.).

tbirdjayc, it's more a matter of degree than absolutes. The absolute best braking possible is in fact with the vehicle in neutral, but that is only in a static or unique situation (downhill snow/ice, etc.). Once you introduce the variables of the real world then things become a little more grey vs black and white. You want to be in a lower gear if you need to accelerate but not for significantly slowing the car. If you're aware of your surroundings it may well be apparent that there won't be any need to accelerate and just using the brakes with the tranny in neutral would be fine. One should have the tranny in neutral when sitting at a light to save wear & tear on the clutch and put it in gear just before the light vhanges.

In Europe, where the majority of cars are manual transmissions, many cities have the Amber traffic light come on just before the RED switches to Green. This gives a person sufficient time to put the car in gear just before the green light, a great idea. That and the Autobaun are two of my many favourite reasons for driving there.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 03:44 PM
Interestingly enough...I have posted this question on a few different makes forums. It seems the more performance oriented the car (WRX, EVO, 330, 350Z), the more people downshift. Also the more expensive the car, the more people seem to favor downshifting.

If you also notice that on those forums the more expensive the car the bigger the dipshit. Damn this is the most ill executed thread in a long time.
Posted By: SVTmania Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 06:03 PM

If you also notice that on those forums the more expensive the car the bigger the dipshit. Damn this is the most ill executed thread in a long time.

Amen, Todd. This reconfirms my opinion that some people should not even get behind the wheel of an automobile. The list goes on and on...........
Posted By: ODC Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Blk560:
Explain, please, exactly how downshifting increases the traction available at the tire contact patch, since the braking system used as it is designed to be used in a 'racing' situation as you describe is more than adequate to place the tires at the threshold of lockup and keep them there?

Does a lower gear cause little spoilers and flaps to pop out and grab the wind, like KITT?

Is the concept of engine braking lost on you ?

Simply put, you are supposed to downshift and keep your car in the proper gear at all times. That is the correct and safest way to drive.

That being said, I always slow down in neutral.
Posted By: Pale Horse Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 08:08 PM
Ok , Now for E-braking!!!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 08:34 PM
hell, when I want to stop quick, I just throw it in reverse!
Originally posted by Silverbullet98:
Ok , Now for E-braking!!!

Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 08:45 PM
After I pass someone on the highway and I want to slow down I put it in first gear. Slows me down ReAL fast, better than the brakes! Plus my brakes won't overheat!

Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 09:19 PM

Is the concept of engine braking lost on you?

Simply put, you are supposed to downshift and keep your car in the proper gear at all times. That is the correct and safest way to drive.

That being said, I always slow down in neutral.

I have never had trouble with the concept of engine braking. I've used it moderately on every stick'd car I've had and one of the main reasons I despise driving a slushbox.

If you would review my first post in more detail, my contention is with the following instances of bad physics:

...if you're racing or need to slow down really quickly, you should brake + downshift at the shift points. The car will slow down much faster.

and

your stopping distance increases when you are not in gear

Two primary forces act to slow a car: Aerodynamic drag and tractive effort at the tire contact patches. For a car to slow any more quickly one of these forces must be tinkered with.

Let's agree that aerodynamic drag is not a function of which gear the car is in, only speed, geometry, and air density.

Tractive effort is the manifestation of all forms of active or passive mechanical drag in the driveline and rolling stock (engine braking, bearing friction, tire compression, active disc braking, et. al.). All resistive forces that engine braking provides must be transmitted through the contact patch in order to slow the vehicle. Further, considering the fact that almost all braking systems are limited by the available traction at the road, if one needs to 'slow down quickly' as you suggest, he will be using his active braking system to this traction limitation. Any additional mechanical drag provided by engine braking will provide no benefit if the active brakes have reached the limit of traction, as they are designed to do. The vehicle will slow more quickly with engine braking if, and only if, the active brakes are not at the traction limit -- but that is not scenario you have been promoting.

A second-order variable related to engine braking that might could provide some small benefit is weight transfer (increasing the area and normal force at the contact patch). The counterpoint there is that any weight transfer provided over what's already present due to maximum active braking would, again, have to be provided by a force acting at the contact patch. If there is no more traction available, no weight transfer will occur.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Blk560:

I have never had trouble with the concept of engine braking. I've used it moderately on every stick'd car I've had and one of the main reasons I despise driving a slushbox.

Nothing wrong with despising autos, but you can engine brake with them.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Downshifting... - 08/04/04 11:42 PM
Can we just accept Alan Coles' word as final, and end this thread? The guy knows his stuff, it all made logistical sense to me, and it's not worth fighting the unwinable fight.
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/05/04 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Nothing wrong with despising autos, but you can engine brake with them.

Sure. I didn't say one couldn't engine brake with a slushbox. It's just that with most, it requires excessive and unnatural intervention on my part. After 17 years behind both, I give the satisfaction derived from engine braking a slushbox a 2 out of 10. And the last thing I'd want to be doing is generating more heat in that fluid coupling hanging off the back of the motor by using the transmission in such a way.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Downshifting... - 08/05/04 04:13 AM
From fourth to third, it just requires hitting a button for me. From third to second, just pop the shifter down, second to first, same thing. So yeah, I agree with unnatural, but not excessive. I also agree it shouldn't be done. But I occasionally do it (I'm talking less than 5 times a year) because dropping from fourth to second going around 40mph sends the rpm up to 3-4k and that's good for getting attention or just playing around. You know the cd4e is the best tranny ever, so no worries there.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Downshifting... - 08/05/04 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
You know the cd4e is the best tranny ever, so no worries there.

rofl
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/05/04 02:25 PM
hmmm
if I were driving in a very hilly area with lots of rolling hills with lots of curves should I down shift neutral when off the gass and slowing down shifting into gear only when giving the car some gas.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Downshifting... - 08/05/04 06:14 PM
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:
hmmm
if I were driving in a very hilly area with lots of rolling hills with lots of curves should I down shift neutral when off the gass and slowing down shifting into gear only when giving the car some gas.

No. You don't really want or need to be in neutral when driving on highways/byways/etc. Save putting it into neutral for when you're coming to a complete stop.

In very hilly areas you would normally want to be in one gear lower than your normal cruising gear, for the speed you are going during most of your driving. With one gear lower you are getting a bit more engine braking than normal when you lift off the throttle for a mild turn. If you want or need to decelerate at a rate anything more than that you should use your brakes and leaving it in gear.

If you are downshifting to exit a turn in a lower gear then you approached it in then, brake and have your downshift completed and your clutch pedal released just before you enter the turn while continuing to apply the brakes, remember to match your revs as you release the clutch.

As I've said before it's all a matter of degree. If the area is very hilly and the speeds are low then you could be in 4th, maybe even 3rd in some areas. Being from NY, you'd have to be quite abit upstate or south in the Blue Ridge area on secondary roads where the speeds are quite low to really use 3rd gear (carrying a load or very spirited driving could also warrant 3rd in some situations).

Take a weekend run across Hwy 90 toward Albany sometime. It's a nice road and there are some great side road excursions that have some nice rolling areas.

Regards, Alan
© CEG Archives