Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: gearhead98 Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 03:28 AM
ok i need some help convinving my parents that the svt i want is better than the 98 civic lx they are trying to give me, the civic has 90k on it and was my dads, i would rather sell it and buy the svt, but they seem to think the honda is better, can someone please come up with a legitiment argument as to why the svt is better that my parnets will buy, no matter what i say they dont listen, need some help, any thing better about the svt then the civic tell me so i can tell them and try and change their minds

thanx for the help
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 04:02 AM
It's your parents choice.

If I was your dad and knew about both cars, you'd be driving the Civic.

Because:
Civic gets better gas mileage!
Insurance!!
Civic is slower - less likely for you to get in trouble!
"Hondas are reliable!"
"Fix Or Repair Daily!"

Just messing around. Good luck.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 04:22 AM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
It's your parents choice.

If I was your dad and knew about both cars, you'd be driving the Civic.

Because:
Civic gets better gas mileage!
Insurance!!
Civic is slower - less likely for you to get in trouble!
"Hondas are reliable!"
"Fix Or Repair Daily!"

Just messing around. Good luck.

thanx

jk i know the civic is slower thats why i want the svt, and i know honda's are reliable, but i dont care about that, my insurence is high anyway its 1300 a year
Posted By: kontour_sev6 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 04:36 AM
Tell them since we're going thru election time it's important to "stay american" (hopefully the SVT wasn't built in Mexico)
Posted By: Nate S Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 04:39 AM
tell your dad to test-drive the svt and then maybe he will understand ...either that or he will give you the civic and get an svt for himself
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 11:35 AM
Why in the hell would you would want a Ford over a Honda. Hondas/Toyota, all foreign cars almost never brake down.
Posted By: robb99se Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 01:01 PM
Tell your parents it's a 4 door grocery getter!
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 01:05 PM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Why in the hell would you would want a Ford over a Honda. Hondas/Toyota, all foreign cars almost never brake down.

Sell your car and buy one, please.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Marky:

wish i could, hoping to do that and make money in the process the civic is worth about 8 the svt i want is about 6 thats 2 grand extra if they buy it

Originally posted by robb99se:
Tell your parents it's a 4 door grocery getter!

problem is the civic is 4 door

Originally posted by Nate S:
tell your dad to test-drive the svt and then maybe he will understand ...either that or he will give you the civic and get an svt for himself

nah he just got ANOTHER civic a 2001 2 dr civic ex, i would take that one but still would rather have the svt or even an se for that matter just dont want that damn civic
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 03:46 PM

How much I wish I could. Unfortunely I have spent thousands on repairs in the short time I have owned this mistake. I doubt I could find anyone to give me 3 grand for it.

Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 03:54 PM

You are an idiot. Get off this site, if you hate the car so much. Yes, I had a Honda. Worst POS ever. Trans, clutch and rust problems. No thanks.

Spend money to fix the car, not getting a goofy tach, and E1 wheels. Get the car running right, before you modify.
Posted By: Bailey Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 03:57 PM

Did you ever read Trapp's sig, here i'll help you

Originally posted by Trapps:
Three steps to making a logical post
1. Remove head from ass
2. Think
3. Post

Posted By: btrautman Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 04:37 PM
Looking at new Hyundai Sonata myself....

Posted By: 95TourSleeper Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 06:34 PM
My first car was luckily a Contour, and even though it wont be the easiest to deal with or work on at times....or ever it still will give you alot more to look foward to driving everyday as opposed to the Honda! Plus its a contour and you cant beat the power for the money!
Posted By: Mad_Medeiros Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 06:48 PM
hitman, ehhh wrong,

theres alot of imports that suck ass, I have my fingers double crossed on my mx-3 hoping it will be reliable, but who knows.. so far so good (knock of wood)

but yeah HONDUHS SUCK!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 07:02 PM
Wow... your parents are going to get you a car and your bitching? I hadta buy my own car.... And I only have a Contour GL, if your parents are going to get you a source of Transportation, accept it, then get a job, and buy a better car!
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 07:38 PM

How much I wish I could. Unfortunely I have spent thousands on repairs in the short time I have owned this mistake. I doubt I could find anyone to give me 3 grand for it.

The next time you feel like posting a 'why doesn't anyone like me' thread, remember posts like these. Take Shaggy's advice....
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ContourKev:
Wow... your parents are going to get you a car and your bitching? I hadta buy my own car.... And I only have a Contour GL, if your parents are going to get you a source of Transportation, accept it, then get a job, and buy a better car!

Indeed! You're getting a free car. Consider yourself lucky.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 09:35 PM

Riiiiight......

Thats a hell of a statement, man.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 09:47 PM
Originally posted by gearhead98:
ok i need some help convinving my parents that the svt i want is better than the 98 civic lx they are trying to give me, the civic has 90k on it and was my dads, i would rather sell it and buy the svt, but they seem to think the honda is better, can someone please come up with a legitiment argument as to why the svt is better that my parnets will buy, no matter what i say they dont listen, need some help, any thing better about the svt then the civic tell me so i can tell them and try and change their minds

thanx for the help

If your parents know the svt specs you're screwed plus insurance I'm sure will be higher on the svt. You're only hope might be to beg saying "but moooooooooooooom the svt is so much cooler, you hardly see them on the road compared to all the hondas." or "dad remember when you were in school didn't you want a really cool car that everyone would drool over?" neither of which will probably work.

Like some others said, be happy they're buying you a car to drive, a lot of us older kids never got that so hate you for it! j/k
Posted By: MysticFreak Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 09:53 PM
all foreign cars almost never brake down.

Don't know anyone who owns a foreign car,eh?
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/01/04 10:39 PM

That's why there's so many mechanics here in Korea and Japan too.

Making a broad generalization like that is like saying "All people with the username HITMANinMI are complete morons" Just because we've all been subjected to your useless ignorant ramblings doesn't mean that there aren't some OTHER people out there with the screenname HITMANinMI that actually have more than 1 functioning brain cell.
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 12:41 AM
Well I was kind of in the same boat you were. My mom was against it because its american made, and its fast, but my dad didnt really care either way. Well we got it and its sweet.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 02:49 AM
Ur screwed ricer-boy. All of the reasons to pick the SVT are not practical ones since the Civic is also a 4 door.

Insurance, upkeep, will be lower, resale will be higher. You're driving a Civic, get used to the idea...
Posted By: rouar Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 02:59 AM
Might I ask why you are going to get rid of your SE in the first place??
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 04:33 AM
Originally posted by ContourKev:

i have enough to buy one but they dont want me to do that so they are giving me my dads old car, this is the second damn POS car they have given me the first was another honda an 85' honda accord, not the lx, long before the ex, it was so low on the options list it was carbed, also when i got it it didnt run half the time(didnt really matter, could not drive at the time)

Originally posted by SVTcontourSVT:
Well I was kind of in the same boat you were. My mom was against it because its american made, and its fast, but my dad didnt really care either way. Well we got it and its sweet.

well what changed their minds, how did you do it, because right now my parents are telling me the honda is more reliable

i dont think so considering the car im looking at has about 40k less miles on it, and the fact that i can get contour parts a lot cheaper off of here then i could honda parts which are really expensive, i paid something like 20$ for 2 little circlips for the driveshafts on my old 85

Originally posted by 98 SE:
Might I ask why you are going to get rid of your SE in the first place??

im not getting ride of the se thats my gf's car has been the whole time, i just hook it up seeing as i didnt think it was logical to spend money on a 85 that would never be fast in the first place
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 04:43 AM
i paid something like 20$ for 2 little circlips for the driveshafts on my old 85

Dude, that's what zip ties are for.

Anyways, tell them you want the contour because it's reliable when taken care of, which you will do. You know how to work on it. It is bigger than the civic/you feel safer in it. AND it just looks better and is a bit more fun while still not so over powering that it'll get you into trouble. Just let them know you really want it and will not be happy with a civic. I know it's hard to do, but explain to them how much a car means to many young men. I had a hard time getting my mom to understand but she does understand now after seeing the time/money I invest in my car and how much I enjoy it.
Posted By: Bailey Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 04:46 AM
Just tell your parents that the Contour are life savers, there's a few CEG'rs that got in some serious accidents and are still around to tell their stories...ask around

I know for sure of Chattavega, Striped SVT and who else

Posted By: SAV Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Sneaku:
...a lot of us older kids never got that so hate you for it! j/k

Older kids?!

I just turned 18 and had to buy two cars on my own account!
Posted By: Chode Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 09:44 AM
the ex, it was so low on the options list it was carbed,

Uh, I'm pretty sure all USDM Hondas during that year were carbed, don't quote me though.
Posted By: Chode Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 09:47 AM
Also, I doubt that the insurance on the Contour will be more expensive. Even if it is an SVT. Not like it's been on the Top Ten stolen car list for 7 years straight...unlike the civic(I think it finally dropped off last year).
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 11:03 AM

i have enough to buy one but they dont want me to do that so they are giving me my dads old car, this is the second damn POS car they have given me the first was another honda an 85' honda accord, not the lx, long before the ex, it was so low on the options list it was carbed, also when i got it it didnt run half the time(didnt really matter, could not drive at the time)

Frankly, if I were your dad, I'd tell your ungratefull ass to ride the bus. They've outright given you two cars? I bet you never even thanked once, did you? If you want the SVT, go get a job and buy it yourself, problem solved.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Chode:
the ex, it was so low on the options list it was carbed,

Uh, I'm pretty sure all USDM Hondas during that year were carbed, don't quote me though.

nope the LX was fuel injected, but carbs are more fune to shoot flames with

Originally posted by Jason43:
Frankly, if I were your dad, I'd tell your ungratefull ass to ride the bus. They've outright given you two cars? I bet you never even thanked once, did you? If you want the SVT, go get a job and buy it yourself, problem solved.

yeah i know they have given me two cars, BUT one didnt run and the other the civic, has some problems with it

the bumper on the front needs to be replaced
the bumper on the back needs to be replaced
the windshield needs to be replaced
the idle air controller needs to be replaced
the rear passenger side door does not open from the outside
the rear window leaks when it rains

overall the contour i think is way better, has lower miles, bettter saftey ratting, has abs(i think, dont svt's have abs?) and is way more fun to drive then the civic, which almost everybody else on earth owns
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 01:11 PM
I say just take the Civic since it's what they're going to give you regardless of your SVT argument.
Then whenever something goes wrong with the Civic, throw it in their faces with "see, we coulda got the SVT, but nooooooo"

seriously though, keep the peace in your family and just get whatever they want to get for you.
When you move out and have money of your own to spend, that's when you buy what YOU want.
You have many years left in the future to do things your way. The few years you have left under your parents roof should be done their way.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 01:23 PM
Umm Civics are higher on insurance because they are more often stolen, wrecked by more kids his age, and more expensive to repair or replace. Ins. companies don't car about reliability!

-Andy
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Bull-Mtl:
Just tell your parents that the Contour are life savers, there's a few CEG'rs that got in some serious accidents and are still around to tell their stories...ask around

Yeah. The 'Tour crashes real well.
Posted By: robb99se Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Andy W.:
Umm Civics are higher on insurance because they are more often stolen, wrecked by more kids his age, and more expensive to repair or replace. Ins. companies don't car about reliability!

-Andy

WORD!
Posted By: Bailey Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
Originally posted by Bull-Mtl:

Yeah. The 'Tour crashes real well.

OK found it here's the link to Buckshot's pix and video of when he crashed his 'tour at a track event

Tough cars
Posted By: johnny hennessy_dup1 Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 05:52 PM
Yeah, these cars can take a beating and not you. I was cut off a year ago and hit a wall at about 50MPH. totaled the car and I walked away. there is another CEGer that totaled his car here is the link of his car. he just like I, bought another tour.
Look at the 2nd page
http://members.cardomain.com/wp_master

Posted By: chongo Re: Need Help Convincing - 08/02/04 06:13 PM
What I would do is get and insurance quote on both cars.
When I bought my car it was down to the Accord ex v6 or the Tour v6. The Tour won because insurance was $800/yr less.

In regaurds to repairs.
#1 It's normal to spend $1000-1500 each year to fix/maintain any car!!
#2 Cheap parts thanks to Bill Jenkins, now Steve Mullins. www.signaturelm.com
#3 a friend of mine had someone hit the side mirror on there 95 Acura. $400 for a new one!

Average driving costs How Much Does It Costs to Drive?
I haven't found a site with Import costs yet, but I'm looking.
© CEG Archives