Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#998919 07/07/04 10:33 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
ok....there are two things that i have going for me now that i am not sure about. both of wich already have posts, but neither of which really helped me out.

1) when i'm on the highway, and brake, the car shakes heavily. but if i hit the brakes hard, i don't feel anything. i have 2 new rotors in the front of the car b/c i recently had a warped rotor on the passenger side. i had the two replace probably about february and the problem went away. about the end of may, it started again. anyone think that the rotors were faulty and warped again. i took the tires off and lookes at them, but there are no signs of being warped(dark/burn spots).
in a post a read, the problem was posted and then everyone broke out into their own little conversations and the question was never really anwered.

2) i live in columbus ohio and i'm from brooklyn ny, so i do alot of driving. my 96 tour only has 86K on it though. when i first got the car, this was not a problem, but now it is--when on the free way, and turning to the right, the car makes a grinding/rubbing noise. when i turn left, nothing. since the problem has occured, i've had all 4 tires replaced, and an alignment. in other posts, people seem to think that is the CV joint. i've checked inside the wheel wells and looked for any grinding spots, and nothing. all my tires seem to wearing the same EXCEPT for the front passenger. the tires i recently had taken off were pieces of garbage, but only that one had this wear on it. it wore out on the outside of the tire, to the point where the treads where almost gone. the rest of the tire was fine. any relation or just more fescies tires?

any input would be a great help. just so that you know...i'm not a mechanic, but i'm not afraid of getting dirty, so if it something that i can't really F up, then i'll do it myself. thanks.

96 contour gl columbus ohio
#998920 07/07/04 10:39 PM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Did you try to rotate the tires and see if the brake shake goes away? Tires may look okay, but be crap underneath...aka my cheapo Goodyears I had before I got my Kumho's.

that's just a shot in the dark though... how old are those tires?

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
#998921 07/08/04 12:11 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Did you clean the rust of the hub where the rotor sits? I'm doing that soon in hopes of solving my pulsation.

See my car was fine until it needed new back brakes. Well I had it done at the school I go to. They replaced wheel cylinder/shoes/drums and hardware kit. For some reason they turned the front rotors even though it wasnt pulsating. Ever since then it has pulsated badly. Well I replaced the front rotors twice and new pads once, and replaced the back drums with ones from NAPA pulsation still hasnt gone away.
The pulsation isnt as bad now, sometimes it is worse than others.

#998922 07/08/04 03:16 PM
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
did change the brake oil? if not it might help.

NEED AN SVT REAR BUMPER!!! pm me
#998923 07/08/04 03:29 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by lsneo:
did change the brake oil? if not it might help.

Sure did.

#998924 07/08/04 04:26 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Pick up a Haynes manual from an auto parts store, ~$12.00.

The manual will give you a few good tips on how to diagnose the problem. Based on your description, I'm thinking you may have a bent/damaged control arm or bad ball joint. Use the proceedures in the manual to help narrow it down.

The scraping sound is kinda odd. The few times I've heard of that sort of trouble, it was because of worn/loose pads and damaged, worn out calipers or caliper/brake pad hardware. Make sure all your brake pad clips are in place & working as they should to hold the pads in place. I have not taken mine appart as yet, so I don't know exactly what they look like.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#998925 07/08/04 06:27 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Pick up a Haynes manual from an auto parts store, ~$12.00.

The manual will give you a few good tips on how to diagnose the problem. Based on your description, I'm thinking you may have a bent/damaged control arm or bad ball joint. Use the proceedures in the manual to help narrow it down.

The scraping sound is kinda odd. The few times I've heard of that sort of trouble, it was because of worn/loose pads and damaged, worn out calipers or caliper/brake pad hardware. Make sure all your brake pad clips are in place & working as they should to hold the pads in place. I have not taken mine appart as yet, so I don't know exactly what they look like.

I have had one of those since I first brought the car. I dont think it is a bent control arm or anything else, in fact I'm 100% sure it has something to do with the brakes.

Never once pulsated before the brake work was done to it.

#998926 07/08/04 07:00 PM
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by bklynman01:
ok....there are two things that i have going for me now that i am not sure about. both of wich already have posts, but neither of which really helped me out.

1) when i'm on the highway, and brake, the car shakes heavily. but if i hit the brakes hard, i don't feel anything. i have 2 new rotors in the front of the car b/c i recently had a warped rotor on the passenger side. i had the two replace probably about february and the problem went away. about the end of may, it started again. anyone think that the rotors were faulty and warped again. i took the tires off and lookes at them, but there are no signs of being warped(dark/burn spots).
in a post a read, the problem was posted and then everyone broke out into their own little conversations and the question was never really anwered.

I am not sure about this one, but when you replaced your rotors, did you replace your pads? Whenever you turn or replace rotors, you should change your pads so they can wear evenly together - there's not such thing as "warped rotors" (for the diehards) only unevenly worn rotors, and changing the pads is necessary, I believe.

Originally posted by bklynman01:
2) i live in columbus ohio and i'm from brooklyn ny, so i do alot of driving. my 96 tour only has 86K on it though. when i first got the car, this was not a problem, but now it is--when on the free way, and turning to the right, the car makes a grinding/rubbing noise. when i turn left, nothing. since the problem has occured, i've had all 4 tires replaced, and an alignment. in other posts, people seem to think that is the CV joint. i've checked inside the wheel wells and looked for any grinding spots, and nothing. all my tires seem to wearing the same EXCEPT for the front passenger. the tires i recently had taken off were pieces of garbage, but only that one had this wear on it. it wore out on the outside of the tire, to the point where the treads where almost gone. the rest of the tire was fine. any relation or just more fescies tires?

This sounds familiar to a problem I had. It could be a bad bearing. If it only sounds when you turn right, then its left bearing (if it did it when you turned left, it'd be the right bearing as it was in my case). I believe its because the load gets shifted or something. You can change the bearing yourself - I helped my dad do it, and we didn't use a machine press or anything - just the proper tools and some creativity.

Yeah, I'm a troll... 2000 Saab 9-5 SE 2003 Dodge Neon SXT
#998927 07/08/04 07:53 PM
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Your issue is most likely a combination of things.
Check the bearings, as well as the brake pressure, it may be uneven (especially if your car pulls to one side while braking. Also check your struts and springs. I had a similar issue with noise and discovered a strut with no resistance as well as a crushed spring.

#998928 07/08/04 08:32 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
As far as the brakes go...a good practice is to always give the slider rails a good cleaning and replace the hardware
(slider pins or boots and bolts ) lube the caliper slide rails with brake lube. Also as mention by someone else a wheel bearing is suspect based on your condition...Brake pulse (bearing not running true) which could also be the cause of your brake pulsating. You could try 2 small checks..Lift the car off the ground and brace something like a pointer on a solid object very close to the tire and hand spin the wheel and look for any runout, then also do the same test with the wheels removed against the rotors you might find some wobble that way. In any case a sticking caliper or wheel bearing is my guess based on what you describe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard