Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by bxd20:

Am I correct to assume that shims are designed to stop noises when my foot is NOT on the pedal?

So I can see it squelching noise with foot off brake, or during that very initial part of applying the brakes.

Brian
99 SVT

Shims have little or no effect when the brake pedal is released. Shims come into play during braking when vibrations may set up.

Some brake designs use retaining clips to help the pad fit tighter in the caliper and would do the sort of thing that you mentioned, but they are not shims.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I used the shims. They held up for about 1.5 years before I started to get the high speed squeal badly.

I added some brake quiet to the them last fall when I had everything apart and that lasted for maybe 6 months and the squeal came back.

Yes I am very hard on my brakes.

The front rotors had glazing when I took them off last fall so I "roughed them up and that renewed them for a few months.

Looks like I'll be doing both again.

No pulsation in the pedal and the brakes still have that great initial bite.
Fade has increased slightly but I blame the overworked rotors for that at this point.

Next time I buy front rotors they will be bigger then stock. Be it the 300mm FSVT or some nice 2-piece 12.2" discs.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Quote:

Be it the 300mm FSVT or some nice 2-piece 12.2" discs.

did someone finally make the proper carrier brackets to fit the fsvt rotors and svt calipers? i'd like to get bigger rotors but want to retain the stock calipers

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by hmouta:
Quote:

Be it the 300mm FSVT or some nice 2-piece 12.2" discs.

did someone finally make the proper carrier brackets to fit the fsvt rotors and svt calipers? i'd like to get bigger rotors but want to retain the stock calipers

No I would have to buy the factory brackets. (Which are now over twice what they used to be because everybody bought them once the SVTF came out )

Hence why some awesome TCE 12.2" brakes may not be so expensive "comparably". Plus they are light years better and lighter.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
understood.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard