Originally posted by MeanGreen2:

It's OTC...easy to find.

Wrong. I live in a major urban area and was told it would take at least 30 days and $80.

The tool IS for timing belt changes. I don't know what you're going on about. Are we even talking about the same thing?

It's handy for timing belt changes, but not necessary. It is necessary for cam timing adjustment.

LMAO...tell that to the next zetec owner that has an engine that won't idle and keeps setting codes, because the mechanic did such a sloppy job with *cardboard*...and allowing the cams to be a tooth off.

Look, getting the belt off by a whole tooth -- nine degrees -- takes such a degree of amateurishness and sloppiness that there is no excuse for it even if you are using no alignment tool at all. Even if it happens, it's so easy to check for that the risk is really not there for anyone who knows what they're doing and is at all careful. I could do it right with no tool and a blindfold on. It just isn't difficult.

The three tools are required because on the zetec you sometimes have to readjust the cams...

Yes, you do, but not as a normal part of a timing belt change! When you do need to, then the alignment tool is required.

and the peg tool has nothing to do with loosening the cam sprockets,

Who said it did? I mentioned that the peg was not needed to put on a timing belt, and then I mentioned in parentheses the other tool for holding cam sprockets. I gave you no reason to run the two together.