Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
No it's not. It's because I'm sick and barely can type right now. It is right to a degree, that some correct tools are needed to do certain things on a car. But not again, a piece of metal is a piece of metal when it comes to the cam holding tool,

It's not a holding tool, it's an alignment tool.

ask anybody on here and they'll tell you if it's long enough/slim enough/strong enough, then it'll work. Though I'm looking at it more from a diy stand point, but I still wouldn't have a problem with a mechanic using a $2 file instead of a $30 piece of metal from ford to keep the cams in the correct position.

I don't believe that. If a mechanic whipped out a backbone of a rainbow trout and said..."Hey, it works!"...you'd probably think...Hell, why am I paying this guy to do this, I could do that myself.

I don't see any other professionals in this thread, so why are you even talking about what a professional should do?

Didn't Caltour try going to the professionls? You've been to the pros, others have been to the pros...so my advice should come in handy for those that go to the pros, and even the ones that don't.

A professional knows what to have/do so you don't have to put it on here. I'd rather help somebody do it themselves.

You think you know more than I do? How is knowing less better?

You're the kinda mechanic (like many, not all) that has a know-it-all attitude that would cause me, as a customer, to walk right out of your shop and go else where.

SO...if you were to ask me about your car, and I were to say..."gee, d'uh...I don't know. D'oh!" while digging at my ear with an inkpen, you'd get real impressed and hand me your keys?

And I don't think the same of all "professionals", I've been to two professional shops, and they couldn't make my CEL go away, but I spent more time with it and got it to go away, and this time stay away. All with my $85 worth of computer scanning software, and my cheap tools/autozone loaner tools.

Must have been fairly simple...and I hope that you enjoyed paying those professionals your money. They seemed not to be "know-it-alls"...just how you like it.

Actually, it appears he was planning to get the pulley from a dealer in another state, but whatever.

Keyword: Dealer

I guess you didn't read/don't know what I said. I'm going into mechanical engineering. It's where I design what you work on.

And you said that you think you coud make a living at it, but you don't like working on cars. So I guess we're back to my original question about you making a living at working on cars, since you're giving out advice about working on cars, not designing them.

I have to disagree with you on the price of tools. The average shop owner will spend $100k+, even $200k+ on tools,etc. (this is doing more than just timing belts though,, there are actually plenty of small shops that just do small things like timing belts and spend comparably very little on tools),

That's why I made mention of those that limit themselves to just certain jobs.

but the average mechanic doesn't spend that much.

I've seen mechanics spend $7,500+ just for a bottom tool box. And most mechanics I know from surrounding shops are expected to furnish all of their tools, while the *shop* takes care of the equipment...and that means that almost everyone that I see are spending $5 - $6k on OTC scanners, around $10k or so for Snap-On, etc...and that's just to get them started, has nothing to do with their other testers, their hand tools, etc...and if they don't have it, they buy it the next week when the toolman pulls up, because the others don't pass their tools around to the ones that don't like spending their own money for their own tools.

My dad is a diesel truck mechanic and basically is the head mechanic where he works. He has spent a lot of money on tools, but by that I mean thousands, maybe $3k, $4k at most, not 10s of thousands. He has bought used tool boxs to save lots of money but of course only buys new tools. He has enough tools (save for air compressors, computers, lifts,etc.) to do basically anything to a diesel truck, and most passenger vehicles as well. I'm sure he has some specialized tools but ONLY if they are needed and no other tool can be substituted. And somehow he manages to do the job right because he doesn't want trucks coming back in to the shop.

3k is absolutely nothing. I could [did] spend over 1k just to work on a few FWD wheel bearings/hubs, and that includes no hand tools...spent over that much [1k] for just one 3/4 drive *airgun*...$850.00 on a battery tester...$400.00 for a short tracer...$200.00 for a few sockets...just some basic stuff. But I don't work on that many diesel trucks...just work on Acuras - Volvos, and pretty much everything in between, bumper-to-bumper, like most modern shops.