Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Though obviously we disagree on some views, which I'm tired of arguing about,

It's only because my advice is professional, and you're trying to discount it and pretend that somehow it is wrong, because you're not speaking from a professional stand-point.

I agree with what you're telling caltour for the work he is gonna do. I would get the spring and post for the tensioner (not from your local ford dealer usually, even for cheap things like that,

I said local dealer, because it appeared that Caltour was going to his local Mercury/Ford dealer to get his guide pulley anyway.

it's still cheaper to go through fordpartsonline or one of the CEG friendly dealers) as a safety measure. I would go ahead and do everything so you know it's done right and you don't have to do it again,, but I guess if you don't have the money then that's not an option.

So would I, but since Caltour claims that everything else looks undamaged, and since it's not an interference engine, won't really hurt to do just what's needed, right now.

Meangreen I could make money doing repairs, but I don't have the proper tools. When I did my timing belt I used my dad's tool, none of which were ford tools, just breaker bars, sockets, and torque wrenches. But I don't really enjoy working on cars that much, but I do love cars, especially engines and suspensions, so I'm going into mechanical engineering.

Good luck...and not saying that you couldn't learn, if that's what you want to do, but unless you specialize in just a few areas, a mechanic or two can get together and spend $100,000 real fast, for just hand tools and a few black boxes, not even counting shop equipment, specialized testers [quality], machines to service vehicles, repair A/C, etc...then you can add another $150,000 - $250,000, easily, if you're not too big of an operation.

Just saying that if working on modern vehicles is your profession, a large tackle box full of basic tools won't get you very far...and for mechanics that do timing belt replacements, consistently, will most likely invest in the proper tools to do the best job that they can, in the most efficient manner possible.