Originally posted by caltour:
I just got back from the mechanic's shop. He took the top timing belt cover and middle timng belt cover off the motor, and found the problem: the timing belt idler pulley on the lower right side is disintegrating. It's missing large chunks! A fine quality part that lasted for 27,000 miles.

The mechanic wanted $400 to replace the pully. He said the pully costs $60 and the rest is labor. He said I really should also replace the belt, the tensioner and the other two idler pullies, and that would be an extra $200, for a total of $600.

I declined (too expensive). So I had the car towed home just now. I've got my repair manual and some hand tools, and I am going to try to replace the idler pully myself. yikes

You did the right thing, I think. Way too high. I just did the same job last week, on a '96 Mystique, plus some...Timing Belt Kit [belt, guide pulleys and tensioner] and I replaced the engine cover/valve cover gasket...and new spark plugs, for $415.00...I went under suggested list and gave them a little break on labor]

Good luck...I just wish you could have found a better repair facility...one that would have estimated a more realistic price [about 4 hrs labor, tops...and a timing belt kit that has a suggested retail of around $220.00]...a kit is a lot better than buying everything piece by piece...saves money and even includes better instructions, usually.