Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by MeanGreen2:
Originally posted by caltour:
Thanks, Paul! I am starting to figure out where the rattle is coming from. Before your post, I thought the slight side-to-side movement in my tensioner pully was normal, i.e. just the "tensioner spring" taking up a little slack. But as you said, the tensioner pully should not be moving back and forth. So maybe that's where the rattling is coming from. I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow.

None of my business, but I hope they're nice enough to have purchased the proper tools for that engine...crankshaft timing peg [installs near PCV valve]...camshaft timing tool [flat bar]...and a good cam sprocket holding/removing tool.

A timing peg (whatever that is) and a cam sprocket tool are not necessary. And any mechanic will have a file that will fit to hold the cams. Most mechanics will not have a problem doing a simple timing belt change on a zetec. In fact, I'm sure most have done them before. I even found a shop (the only shop) that had no trouble installing my cam gears and actually doing it in less time than they thought it would take.

You don't know about the tool that fits right in the access hole in the block that Ford designed for the tool that they designed to hold the crank? Tells me all I need to know.

Cam spocket tool isn't necessary, even on the newer ones? Really?

File? LOL

Doing them, or doing them right?

You found a shop? Why? Not doing the job yourself, expert?