Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pensfan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Help: My V6 ran fine last night, then it would not start in the morning. Finally I can get it to start, but then it stalls right away. It has new plugs/wires, and fuel filter. Pressure testing with a guage shows it has about 50 psi (this is a new gauge so I don't know if it is calibrated). When it stalls, the pressure remains steady. Thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
MTX/ATX?...How many miles????....Any check engine lights....any problems like this before??? What Year (makes a difference in the type fo fuel system)???

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
P
pensfan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
1998, 93,000 miles, manual, NO cel's (just last week it did take a long time one morning to start) This car ran great the night before! It would not start at all, then I got it to start (then die) with ether. Now it barely starts, then I pump the gas to rev it up (which it does - briefly), then bogs and dies. I can re-do this same senario over and over, but it won't stay running! Thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Fuel pressure should fall to 35 - 38 psi. when the engine starts. If it does not the engine will flood. If this is the case I would suspect the fuel pressure sender on the far end of the supply rail first.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Does it get better when the engine is warm? When you hold the gas pedal to a certain rpm will it run? If so it is problly the IAC.

98' Contour SVT lots of go fast mods check em out: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg285m/
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Fuel pressure should fall to 35 - 38 psi. when the engine starts. If it does not the engine will flood. If this is the case I would suspect the fuel pressure sender on the far end of the supply rail first.

Agreed..it usually can be seen below the throttle body connected to the fuel rail. Take a look at that.

lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
When you get your pessure gauge working, turn the key to on but don't start the car.
You should hear the fuel pump prime see what the fuel prime pressure is.
The fuel pressure should be between 30-45 psi (210-310 kPa)
Mine was priming at 5 psi, not good new fuel pump time.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
P
pensfan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the advice on my problem (here are more clues): *My contour will NOT run (when warm) at a certain rpm - I can get it to rev up then it bogs (like it is starving) then dies; *The fuel pressure goes up as high as 60psi when I get it to start and try to run; *Now the important questions, where exactly is the fuel pressure sender (is this the same as the pressure regulator), how do I troubleshoot this, how do I replace this.

Thanks for all your help

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by pensfan:
Thanks for all the advice on my problem (here are more clues): *My contour will NOT run (when warm) at a certain rpm - I can get it to rev up then it bogs (like it is starving) then dies; *The fuel pressure goes up as high as 60psi when I get it to start and try to run; *Now the important questions, where exactly is the fuel pressure sender (is this the same as the pressure regulator), how do I troubleshoot this, how do I replace this.

Thanks for all your help

the fuel pressure sensor is for cars with returnless systems (1999 or newer)....the fuel pressure regulator is located in the same location. (But is only found on 1998 or older) i truthfully am not sure if there is also a sensor on 1998 and older systems....from what you describe to, it is possible it might be your fuel pump or a bad fuel filter as well...or a combination of things....if you haven't changed your fuel filter i a while, you may want to try that first to see if it fix is things...its also the cheapest way to start.

As for diagnosing the FPR, im not sure how to...maybe someone else can chim in on that.

Lupe

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Fuel pressure should not go up that high.

Mid year 98 was the beginning on return systems.
Return systems have a vacuum operated pressure regulator under the throttle body. Easy to spot because the top looks like the EGR valve (UFO).

You no doubt have the returnless system. There is a pressure sender on the fuel rail. A box near the gas tank controls the fuel pump to regulate pressure. Any of the three could be bad. I would suspect the sender first. Never saw a fuel pump do this. You could monitor the voltage to the fuel pump vs pressure.

If by chance you have a return system, make sure the return line to the tank is not pinched.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard