Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm trying to get a handle on something.

When you guys do a 3.0L hybrid using the SVT upper and lower intake manifolds, you have to keep the IMRC that opens up the secondaries, correct? Do you or do you not "pin" them open? If not, is the only reason because the computer isn't tuned for such a situation at low RPM hence the torque suffers? Or even if the computer had no knowledge of the IMRC (say if you used a 2002 Escape computer), the low end torque would still suffer because the runners are tuned that way?

Reason for asking is hypothetically if a 6 owner were to use the SVT UIM/LIM (because a fully ported/polished one out flows that plastic one), would they have to find a way to control the IRMC or just keep it open all the time?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
No no no....do not pin them open....Lowbudgetracing did that and saw a low end power loss on the dyno....A SVT hybrid you put thogether the same way as the 2.5 liter.

you use all the parts...secondaries and all...the only thing diffrent is that your using a 3.0 liter block. But i wound not reconmend the pinning the secondaries unless your going to be in the high rpms all the time.

(yes theres a lot more to it..but thats the basics.)

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Removing them would be ideal on an oval port 3.0. I'm not sure who's tried it on a 3.0 hybrid, but pinning them on a 2.5 does show a low rpm loss, with no extra high rpm gain. Removing them all together would show a loss down low, with a slight gain up top. Maybe the added displacement of the 3.0 would make up for a low end loss.

Last edited by Jason43; 06/16/04 09:59 PM.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Jason43:
Removing them would be ideal on an oval port 3.0. I'm not sure who's tried it on a 3.0 hybrid, but pinning them on a 2.5 does show a low rpm loss, with no extra high rpm gain. Removing them all together would show a loss down low, with a slight gain up top. Maybe the added displacement of the 3.0 would make up for a low end loss.

Sorry i wasn't explaining it clearly enough....Lowbudgetracing is running a 3 liter hybrid!!!

And he did show a loss on the dyno with them pinned. it was low end..not high end.

Lupe

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 06/16/04 10:30 PM.

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
For the ONE MILLIONTH time...

Pinning your secondaries will ONLY show a power loss.

There is no bonus to gain since they are not "REMOVED"

Also without a tuned chip you car is not programmed to even run properly that way.

Oh yeah...

I haven't had secondaries in years and seem to do okay.

Your mileage my vary...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
when i removed my secondaries i got rid of the butterflys and all but two inches of the shaft so i could leave the IMRC in place and not get a check engine light.
i did lose some driveability down low but could fell a gain up top,since then i had my exhaust done and gained more power through the whole RPM band,with this mod my driveabilty has returned to normal.this is still untuned.
i would like to get a 2000 taurus computer and see if i can make it work so i get liner power through the RPM band and not a spike at 3500 rpm.

here is my dyno before and after the exhaust

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I think you'll still get that 'spike' in power. Just because that is the way the manifold is designed. Plus, I would think cam grinds as well.

Ryan Trollin!
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
For the ONE MILLIONTH time...

Pinning your secondaries will ONLY show a power loss.

Also without a tuned chip you car is not programmed to even run properly that way.

Ah, see that was it. They show a power loss regardless on a 3L. See we were wondering whether it would be a requirement to create an IRMC controller on a car that was not designed to have the split port to begin with, e.g. not a Contour, a post 2000 Escape or a 6. Looks like something will have to be rigged to have that open at a certain RPM because our computer does not control that.

Last edited by GreenNuggs; 06/17/04 05:40 PM.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D

For the last time.

WITHOUT A PROPERLY TUNED CHIP you will never get the best power curve with REMOVED secondaries. Heck not even a close one since the timing & fuel curve (among 20 other things) has to be completely re-written from scratch!

The PCM IS PROGRAMMED for them to be active, installed, and used properly. If you mess with any of those things and DO NOT change the tuning your are proving nothing other then the fact YOU NEED CHIP TUNING...

...which is a GIVEN from the beginning anyway.

Ah hell this is just easier...

ALWAYS USE THE IMRC.
NEVER TAKE IT OUT.
YOU CAN NEVER MAKE ANY PERFORMANCE WITH IT MISSING!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I bet within a month your saying that again ;-)
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

For the last time.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard