Well those Bonzai Burgers sound delicious! I'll PM stazi as soon as this post is done for some decent pads.

In relation to the rotor being too "thin", I took my 88 Jetta to Brakes Plus (I think that's the one, whichever has the $99 advertised brake job) one time.
Now I'm not a brake guru, but I do know enough to know that my brakes were just fine, just needed the drums to be turned and new shoes. I can't believe those guys, their method of business was horrible.
He Starts with a "free" estimation of the brake condition, so they jacked up the Jetta and opened up the drums, then gave me the quote, $860. I was told that they needed to replace the entire brake system except for the master cylinder, and one of the things was that all 4 drums were too thin to be turned... BS!!
I said no way, so the guy responds with, well this is your brake system, you can't really bargain with your brakes, and I've already torn apart your brake system for you (I thought it was free). So he starts crossing off things "I could do without" and the lowest he could go was $600.... I took it to a friend of a friends shop for him to take a second opinion on it, he said the brakes were just fine, just needed what I already knew, turned drums and new shoes.
The real kicker was that one of the drum bolts was stripped, so Brakes Plus says to get the bolt out would probably be $70 in labor, and since it's a German car, the bolt would have to be ordered factory direct, and would cost $30 . I hacked the bolt off in 30 mins, and got a replacement from the dealership for $1.99. By the way, with getting the drums turned at carquest, and new shoes, it cost me about $50, and haven't had any problems at ALL .

Long post, but that's just one of my worst car fix stories I've been through. Some people make me sick .

EDIT: Agreed with ya there below this post Kingpin, very sad. And BTW, I have heard good stories about the Brakes Plus in Englewood, so maybe it's not all of their branches, but this one was in Highlands Ranch off of County Line. Warn ALL!!!

Last edited by PlatoSVT; 06/16/04 05:32 AM.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388