Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
im new to mechanics, and im thinking about going to school for it, but I need help for this one, and a lot of it. My brother's credentials? Hes extremely intelligent, hes 21 years old and for 4 of those years since he was 16 he has owned 2 cars with sticks, and driven cars with slipping clutches. He drove one so bad that the guy couldnt start off from first gear it was slipping so badly.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
In first gear, start off is very rough if not started off at the right rpm. But in any gear if I try to accelerate to quickly the car bucks, feels like it looses power to the wheels and pushes it back, after about 4 or 5 seconds of doing this it continues just fine. Its NOT the spark plugs/wires or coil thats causing a misfire, because all of those parts are brand new and ford approved. its not a misfire because my CEL off and continues the remain that way.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
i my experiences a slipping clutch will sound like this....

you start off, car doesn't go right away. it doesn't buck or jerk, it just revs high and accelerates slowly. when you shift, it will sound like you're not letting the clutch out fast enough..... and again rev and not go. it really shouldn't buck or run rough.

a clutch swap is NOT an easy swap, especially for a 16 year old to do alone. if you have some help (and by help i mean someone who has worked on and done major repairs to cars) and you can live without your car for a few days, give it a shot. otherwise, you're going to have to pay someone to do it. and it's not cheap.

i would try to find someone you know that is good with cars who will do it for you on the side.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
I can get by for a week at most without a car, I could probibly barrow my dad's (he has a work truck, rarely ever drives his explorer). My main problem is finding the right help with the right tools. If I cant find the help, Im going to have to find an alternative, and I think that may be taking 40 hours a week at work over the summer and coming up with the cash for a newer car, Probibly a contour, and if I get another contour, below 80K miles 98 or newer SE with the Duratec engine. Thats what I want if I get another contour, but thats my backup plan.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
yeah i dont think it sounds like a clutch. working at a dealership, ive driven a few cars that i know have bad clutches and havent ran into this. all ive ran into was when you let the pedal out, the car just doesnt accelerate and revs go up. this is just my experience though and wouldnt rule out the clutch. i personally have a bucking prob like you do when mine is at low rpm's and then once it passes in each gear and warms up, is fine. i feel mine is a just a fuel pump or some kind of delivery prob.. try letting your car warm for about 10 min before you take off next and see if it runs better. maybe bad injectors? bad pump? clean maf. run through some injector cleaner. idk man, just try all the cheaper stuff before you take it to a shop cuz like all others said, its not too cheap.

new addition: '01 GSX-R600 New slow ride - '03 Alero GS SOLD - 95 blue SE
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
also, i dont know how well this works, but someone told me to start in 3rd gear and if you can get goin, clutch is good. true? idk.

new addition: '01 GSX-R600 New slow ride - '03 Alero GS SOLD - 95 blue SE
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Im going to reset the computer, and see what happens, im told that for a short period of time the car runs like brand new after reseting the computer. So if I reset it, and I still have the problem... My brother said to me, my clutch isnt to the point where you let it out and acceleration is scarce, but I can tell over the past 5 months of driving it, that the power has slowly declined. Im in the first stages right now of a dying clutch, when you see them (since you work at a dealership) you see them when they are dead already, mines not dead, just dying.

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by mike_95se:
also, i dont know how well this works, but someone told me to start in 3rd gear and if you can get goin, clutch is good. true? idk.

thats akin to saying that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer and survive, you're healthy. if you do either one, it's going to be the painful way to diagnose.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
Originally posted by mike_95se:

thats akin to saying that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer and survive, you're healthy. if you do either one, it's going to be the painful way to diagnose.

Haha...well i did hear another way to diagnose a bad clutch...and first let me say i have no idea what i'm talking about but i will only say what i heard...

pull the parking brake
put it in fourth
rev to 2000 rpm
hold it there
slowly let up on the clutch
if it doesn't stall than the clutch is slipping

But again i have absolutely no experience here...one more thing AJ...i would at least take it somewhere to have them try to tell you if it's the clutch...this isn't a repair you want to do and then find out that your clutch was fine and you still have the same problem $1200 later. YIKES that would suck.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
well, both of your methods are very, very hard on the clutch.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard