Originally posted by Mystic:
<snippage>
Quote:

Well, I may have talked to soon. I checked the Ford shop manual, and it recommended torqueing to 62. This morning I torqued all four wheels to 65, and the vibration started again. I drove about 40 miles, and it vibrated all the way. I can't believe 5 psi could make a difference, but I'll take them back to 70, and see what happens.

I was reading the forum, trolling for posts of problems that are similar to mine and this is it. I have the same problem with my '96 Mystique. It started happening only 6 months ago so I will dispute some older, similar threads in this forum where posters said "they all do that". I am not willing to live with any vibration in my front end and I have resolved to get to the bottom of this.

I think I can offer a clue here. In January I hit a pothole at 100km/h hard enough to bend a rim, crease the steel belt in my tire and break the wheelcover...all on the front passenger side tire. It was only after this that I noticed the vibration.

I have recently had a 4-wheel alignment performed + 4 new, (and balanced) Dunlop SP Sport 205-60/15 tires and a new driver's side ball joint which was clearly worn. The problem (slight judder...almost feels like a bit of a hop at 60+ mph highway speeds and a juddering under braking) is still there.

I am going to have the tie rods looked at and strongly suspect that is the problem. After all the tie rods are a major player in keeping the major rotating bits under control. I will keep this forum posted.

Thanks for sharing!

/Eric

My right rear shock was broken and peeing all over the place. It's been replaced with a quality piece instead of the garbage Gabriel shock that was there.

The front end "flutter" at highway speeds has gone. It felt for all the world like it was a tie rod or something similar but I guess the shock was hopping so badly in the back that it transmitted itself to the front wheels.

I am a happy guy....and surprised.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX