Originally posted by bentleywarren:

I have been torqueing mine to 95. Why, I don't know...just seemed like a good thing to do at the time. After reading this, I went out and retorqued both front wheels to 70, and today I drove it about 200 miles. It may just be coincidence, but the vibration when I brake seems to be much less noticeable. Also, there seems to be less vibration when I'm cruising.

Notice that I said "seems to be", because there have been times before today when it would cruise as smoothly as could be, but most of the time I had a slight vibration at highway speeds, and a very noticeable vibration when I applied the brakes. I'll keep watch for a few days and see what happens. So far, I'm pleased with the results.

Well, I may have talked to soon. I checked the Ford shop manual, and it recommended torqueing to 62. This morning I torqued all four wheels to 65, and the vibration started again. I drove about 40 miles, and it vibrated all the way. I can't believe 5 psi could make a difference, but I'll take them back to 70, and see what happens.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6